Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAOC 2 in the ES universe?!

Comments

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Darrgen
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

DAOC wasnt that popular of a game. Never got over 250k subs. I dont see the point of trying to do a version2.

I definately dont see the point of butchering Elder Scrolls to do it

The game was huge for the MMO pvp community back in it's time. It was pre-WoW MMO boom and still to this day its has been the best pvp experience to this day for me and a lot of other players. And this is coming from me being a multiple WoW gladiator/Warlord, and high rank in just about every pvp game I've played since. As far as pvp is concerned it was the best. DaoC made pvp engaging for people that dont even like pvp because it made you want to get involved for your realm. This is why 3 factions with completely different zones is a good thing for this game. No real bad guy but you want to be victorious for your faction. 

DaoC is simply outdated and that's why so many daoc fans were screaming for a version 2, the only problem is a version 2 would be butchered by the people that own it now(EA/bioware). The only person that could do a DaoC2 right is Matt firor. The problem is ea owns the rights to daoc and the company he works for has a huge IP in Elder Scrolls. I know it upset some people but I have complete faith that the game will be enjoyable.

Was going to reply, but.. This ^

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    fail quoting ... cant do it from work computer ... post later XD

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70

That'd be the only way of getting me to play it as from what I've read so far it doesn't seem to sport anything substantially different. Going to be interesting to see how they handle the lore as MMO lore tends to be poor.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Kiyonori

That'd be the only way of getting me to play it as from what I've read so far it doesn't seem to sport anything substantially different. Going to be interesting to see how they handle the lore as MMO lore tends to be poor.

So far they are pretty much butchering it.

Originally posted by Acidon

DAOC wasnt that popular of a game. Never got over 250k subs. I dont see the point of trying to do a version2.

The game was huge for the MMO pvp community back in it's time. It was pre-WoW MMO boom and still to this day its has been the best pvp experience to this day for me and a lot of other players. And this is coming from me being a multiple WoW gladiator/Warlord, and high rank in just about every pvp game I've played since. As far as pvp is concerned it was the best. DaoC made pvp engaging for people that dont even like pvp because it made you want to get involved for your realm. This is why 3 factions with completely different zones is a good thing for this game. No real bad guy but you want to be victorious for your faction. 

DaoC is simply outdated and that's why so many daoc fans were screaming for a version 2, the only problem is a version 2 would be butchered by the people that own it now(EA/bioware). The only person that could do a DaoC2 right is Matt firor. The problem is ea owns the rights to daoc and the company he works for has a huge IP in Elder Scrolls. I know it upset some people but I have complete faith that the game will be enjoyable.

I think the phrase goes "There's a sucker born every minute."

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Entinerint

You devote way too much time too TESO, I think you are a fanboi. All of your past posts are about it, you live and breath it. Stop trying to fool everyone, your buying the life time sub and the collector editions.

Originally posted by Fearum

You devote way too much time too TESO, I think you are a fanboi. All of your past posts are about it, you live and breath it. Stop trying to fool everyone, your buying the life time sub and the collector editions.

I make no bones about the fact that I am a fan of TES.  I am a fan of TES before anything else.  In fact it's really the only thing I am a "fanboy" of.

But if one weren't a fan of TES, then why would then even pay attention to the game?  Especially when it looks so mediocre?

And no, I won't be giving them any money unless they significantly change their approach, which is sadly unlikely.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by newbinator

Not saying it is. But I'm actually hoping ESO is as close to DAOC RvR as we've ever seen from an MMO. Am I the only one who feels this way? 

I feel the opposite.  If they want to make DAOC 2 make DAOC 2.  If they want to make Elder Scrolls Online, make it like Elder Scrolls.  It's that simple.

Just because they can't get funding for DAOC 2 doesn't mean they have to shatter one of the greatest fantasy franchises' potential for an MMO by selfishly cannibalizing it.

@Red, care to explain what you mean?

Sure.

1. First and Third person real-time combat (plays exactly like Skyrim with a bit more polish).

2. Races are not locked into factions.

3. You can kill anyone at anytime and loot everything on their body.

4. A crime and punishment system that prevents #3 from becoming an easy life.

5. Factions can be joined by anyone of any race.

6. Player factions are creatable and can war with each other and/or join under the banner of an in-game faction.

7. Imperials are a playable race.

8. Faction war can still exist with the major factions but anyone can be neutral if they want.

9. Voiced characters (apparently we have that).

10. No classes.  Just skills.  (Or at the very least an option to create a custom class)

11. Housing for all players (instanced or not).

12. Quest-givers that don't indicate they are quest-givers, ie: you have to talk to people in order find out if they need help with anything.

13. Skill-based progression (not what is currently in ESO)

I'd play that.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Not saying it is. But I'm actually hoping ESO is as close to DAOC RvR as we've ever seen from an MMO. Am I the only one who feels this way? 

Wouldn't this be DAOC 3 in ESO?  DAOC 2 Was packaged in Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I don't mind that, as long they don't make another WOW clone, but from the first information it looks they are going for the SWTOR route

At least that's what transpires from Matt Fior mouth every time he talks.

Originally posted by ste2000

I don't mind that, as long they don't make another WOW clone, but from the first information it looks they are going for the SWTOR route

3 factions at war doesn't bother me at all.

Me being forced into any of those factions because of the race I pick, not being able to be neutral?  That's not TES and that's not what I want in a TES MMO.

Me being forced into any of those factions because of the race I pick, not being able to be neutral?  That's not TES and that's not what I want in a TES MMO.

How would you tell if the other person in the 3 faction PvP is on another faction then? If we were all for example dark elves, then which dark elf would I attack?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

How would you tell if the other person in the 3 faction PvP is on another faction then? If we were all for example dark elves, then which dark elf would I attack?

Uhh..maybe the one with a RED NAME over their head?

Just click TAB a few times. Im sure you will find them

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

I think it would be better to have each a different race. Gets you more involved then "lets go kill the red team"

edit: Also if both of the other factions were red then how would you form an alliance to take out one side if they are all red?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I think it would be better to have each a different race. Gets you more involved then "lets go kill the red team"

edit: Also if both of the other factions were red then how would you form an alliance to take out one side if they are all red?

Maybe you cant ally with an opposing faction. Maybe if you do ally they turn blue

Dont ask me. Ask Matt Firor. Hes the one making the game.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I feel the opposite.  If they want to make DAOC 2 make DAOC 2.  If they want to make Elder Scrolls Online, make it like Elder Scrolls.  It's that simple.

Just because they can't get funding for DAOC 2 doesn't mean they have to shatter one of the greatest fantasy franchises' potential for an MMO by selfishly cannibalizing it.

Sure.

1. First and Third person real-time combat (plays exactly like Skyrim with a bit more polish).

6. Player factions are creatable and can war with each other and/or join under the banner of an in-game faction.

8. Faction war can still exist with the major factions but anyone can be neutral if they want.

10. No classes.  Just skills.  (Or at the very least an option to create a custom class)

12. Quest-givers that don't indicate they are quest-givers, ie: you have to talk to people in order find out if they need help with anything.

Drop number 3 and  you would have a decent game. FFA PvP even with rules will just boil down to a gankfest. Unless the penalty was say after ganking a set number you were branded KOS to every city in the game except for a  thieves den in a far away area that would give you 10% of the value of your goods.

Originally posted by karat76

Sure.

Drop number 3 and  you would have a decent game. FFA PvP even with rules will just boil down to a gankfest. Unless the penalty was say after ganking a set number you were branded KOS to every city in the game except for a  thieves den in a far away area that would give you 10% of the value of your goods.

That's what #4 is all about.  You pretty much described how its done in Mortal Online.  Works pretty well there.  It's not a gank-fest like Darkfall but you still have to be careful.

Besides, it isn't about "decent game," it's about capturing the feel of TES in an MMO.  Kill anything or anyone, anytime and anywhere for any reason and take everything on their body is a big part of the open-world freedom of TES.

Same way you do it in Darkfall: be smart and pay attention.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Put a different color over the other factions head? Like Idk Blue? or Green? Or any of the ther colors they have that you could easily color code to factions.

Im sorry but theres no arguement you can give for locked-races that deny the past decade of pre-built lore that sounds like a solid argument. On top of that you wouldnt say "Lets go kill the red team".

And for that matter what will you say in the game currently with race-locked factions thats so much better?

"Lets go kill those Dunmer, Nord, and Argonians"??? You wouldnt say that either, and I dont see how saying a single phrase to your fellow players once in a great while is relevant enough to deny the lore of the game and lock everyone into linear choices.

I dont understand how everyone can be so short-sighted about this, the game developers are spitting on the fans of the game series, we wont play it, maybe some people on this forum will, and thats fine I wish you luck. But it wont make the game any better defending its bad design choices.

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Put a different color over the other factions head? Like Idk Blue? or Green? Or any of the ther colors they have that you could easily color code to factions.

Im sorry but theres no arguement you can give for locked-races that deny the past decade of pre-built lore that sounds like a solid argument. On top of that you wouldnt say "Lets go kill the red team".

And for that matter what will you say in the game currently with race-locked factions thats so much better?

"Lets go kill those Dunmer, Nord, and Argonians"??? You wouldnt say that either, and I dont see how saying a single phrase to your fellow players once in a great while is relevant enough to deny the lore of the game and lock everyone into linear choices.

I dont understand how everyone can be so short-sighted about this, the game developers are spitting on the fans of the game series, we wont play it, maybe some people on this forum will, and thats fine I wish you luck. But it wont make the game any better defending its bad design choices.

It is going to be hilarious for those few hold-outs.  The ones who are there for the lore trying to RP in Tamriel, and most of the other players are DAOC kiddies running around going:

"Wut iz a molag balls?  Wanna dool?!  C'mon dool me nubcakes!"

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Faction locked races are more interesting then color teams any day of the week. Its that simple.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Faction locked races are more interesting then color teams any day of the week. Its that simple.

faction locks are moronic.

Let players create their own clans, and yes, craft their own colors and attack whoever the fC8k they want to and yes, allow other clans to craft your colors. That is how it would be possible in the real life, colors just become part of the stradegy.

What I have noticed in a lot of games is that people do want PvP battles but they want to remove every possible known military stradegy from the bucket of possibles. that way they can somehow call themselves an expert at the battle grounds even though every word in the Art of War wouldnt be possible.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Sorry Entinernint how just don't see how FFA full loot could make this anything than another Darkfall or Shadowbane.  I have zero faith in a community policing itself. FFA fulll loot to me just screams  prison riot. They have to have some serious penalties in place if they want to keep TES feel for everyone because in my experience the best way to ruin immersion in a game is to add other players. Seriously would it be TES scrolls if every five minutes all the new players are being ganked, looted and teabagged by the Nord  Ipwnurmama and is dark elf friend Ihazskillz?

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by karat76

Sorry Entinernint how just don't see how FFA full loot could make this anything than another Darkfall or Shadowbane.  I have zero faith in a community policing itself. FFA fulll loot to me just screams  prison riot. They have to have some serious penalties in place if they want to keep TES feel for everyone because in my experience the best way to ruin immersion in a game is to add other players. Seriously would it be TES scrolls if every five minutes all the new players are being ganked, looted and teabagged by the Nord  Ipwnurmama and is dark elf friend Ihazskillz?

I am not a fan of FFA PvP myself, that said, the suggestion that TES Online game structure doesnt scream FFA PvP is in my mind silly.

In an MMO I would perfer a clan vs clan only pvp

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Seanmcad , I do agree the lore would make it fit. Was simply stating my belief that it will not work because imo that system would rely on more people  being decent human beings than what would happen. We all know the griefers would camp the newbie towns driving down the population then come here and whine because nobody is playing the game. Like I said I also have ZERO faith in the community controlling itself.  DAoC based pvp would be fine. I don't think I could buy into a FFA PVP unless the penalties for ganking and griefing were spelled out extremly well before hand.