Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 Extended Ending Arrives This Coming Tuesday

firefly2003firefly2003 Los Angeles, CAPosts: 2,510Member Uncommon

BioWare announced the new, extended ending for Mass Effect 3 is available to download for free starting this coming Tuesday, June 26 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

"The Extended Cut is an expansion of the original endings to Mass Effect 3," BioWare said. "It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings, and reveals greater detail on the impact of player decisions."

The extended ending adds additional scenes and epilogue sequences. "It provides more of the answers and closure that players have been asking for. It gives a sense of what the future holds as a result of the decisions made throughout the series. And it shows greater detail in the successes or failures based on how players achieved their endings."

The studio published a FAQ that hopefully answers any remaining questions you might have.


Comments

  • WarmakerWarmaker San Diego, CAPosts: 2,231Member Uncommon

    I ridicule BioWare alot in recent years and that I don't follow the ME series, but hearing all the drama about the ending and making this specific DLC free is a good move.

    "I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

  • DrakxiiDrakxii Waxahachie, TXPosts: 594Member

    It's still going to be terriable.  You can't explain away an ending as bad as ME3's.

    I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

  • TerronteTerronte Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 321Member

    Meh I'll watch it on youtube.

  • Z3R01Z3R01 NYC, NYPosts: 2,426Member

    ME3 is such a great game.

    It's sad that the last couple of hours kind of killed the experience of the first 60+ hours.

    I'm glad Bioware is trying to correct this.

    Playing:

    Waiting on:

  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drakxii

    It's still going to be terriable.  You can't explain away an ending as bad as ME3's.

    Or maybe people are unable to comprehend the brilliance behind the ending? I am glad that they didn't got for a cheesy ending. 

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • Bioware should stick with Mass Effect writer Drew Karpyshyn origninal Mass Effect 3 ending instead of this crappy version we got now, which now come in a extended version now.


    http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/17086/mass-effect-writer-drew-karpyshyn-reveals-original-mass-effect-3-endings

    The origninal ending by Drew Karpyshyn sound far better.

     

  • Tutu2Tutu2 MelbournePosts: 568Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Terronte

    Meh I'll watch it on youtube.

     

  • BrenelaelBrenelael MainePosts: 3,797Member Uncommon

    It still wont change the fact the everything you did, choices you made and alliances you formed for 3 full games amounts to nothing. This is the main reason fans were upset because throughout all 3 games they were promised an ending based on all they had acomplished and what they got was three choices that had nothing to do with anything that happened up to that point. EA and Bioware still don't get that this was the reason for the outrage not that they needed to explain their lame endings in more detail.

     

    Bren

    while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

  • RednecksithRednecksith Madison heights, MIPosts: 1,238Member

    Too little, too late. Bioware can take their 'artistic integrity' and shove it up their asses.

    It took Lucas 3 movies to kill off Star Wars. It only took Bioware 10 minutes for Mass Effect, which has got to be a record for franchise homicide.

  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

    Too little, too late. Bioware can take their 'artistic integrity' and shove it up their asses.

    It took Lucas 3 movies to kill off Star Wars. It only took Bioware 10 minutes for Mass Effect, which has got to be a record for franchise homicide.

    I had tons of fun playing the ME games. Spent  probably over 100-200 hours having fun all the time. The ending can't take away that from me. It was a truly epic journey even though the end wasn't particularly glorious. If I knew what the ending would be before buying the games, I would buy them again and again... It was well worth every penny.

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 558Member
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

    Too little, too late. Bioware can take their 'artistic integrity' and shove it up their asses.

    It took Lucas 3 movies to kill off Star Wars. It only took Bioware 10 minutes for Mass Effect, which has got to be a record for franchise homicide.

    I had tons of fun playing the ME games. Spent  probably over 100-200 hours having fun all the time. The ending can't take away that from me. It was a truly epic journey even though the end wasn't particularly glorious. If I knew what the ending would be before buying the games, I would buy them again and again... It was well worth every penny.

    What you say is true. Looking back on it, I'm sure we all really enjoyed the run throughs of ME1 and 2, regardless of individual feelings of 3. But I think a lot of people can't go back and do another run through of 1 and 2 atm due to how ME3 made them feel. Maybe after some months or a year passes, or maybe the ME series will just become a "SWG" type legend for many :P

    Personally, unlike others my issue isn't with the ending. They're bad, but they're just the sugar-free icing on top of a bland, dry cake.

    I disliked all of ME3 in general. Outside of some great moments - which there definitely were some - too much of it felt rushed to me, with terribly awkward conversations (Jacob's "Can you feel it?" as an example).

    The EC will be great for those that thought the game was perfect and only had some questionable issues with the endings, I think. I don't think it'll be the panacea for those that loathed the ending entirely but it may help some, and I think those that cling to the IT will be in for a nasty shock.

    All speculation, of course, of which we'll see what comes of it tomorrow. But I do know something for a fact: I'm going to have fun browsing BioWare's forums the next two days. :P

  • NavyJackalNavyJackal Halifax, NSPosts: 82Member
    Originally posted by Brenelael

    It still wont change the fact the everything you did, choices you made and alliances you formed for 3 full games amounts to nothing. This is the main reason fans were upset because throughout all 3 games they were promised an ending based on all they had acomplished and what they got was three choices that had nothing to do with anything that happened up to that point. EA and Bioware still don't get that this was the reason for the outrage not that they needed to explain their lame endings in more detail.

     

    Bren

    I agree with this statement completely.  The ending(s) of ME3 basically negated anything your version of Shepard did or accomplished throughout the enitre series.  It didn't matter if your Shepard was a paragon or a renegade, who had died, who had lived, who you allied with, as the final choice between the three outcomes had no bearing on what had come before.  If Bioware didn't intend to have any of those decisions to have an impact, why bother carrying them over from game to game?  It just was a huge letdown.   That there was very little difference between the endings regardless of which 'end method' you choose, not to mention that no matter what ending you choose the Mass Relays are destroyed effectively trapping Shepard's entire armada in Earth's solar system  was to me just a low blow that completly knocked the wind out of me.

    I don't know if Bioware can actually 'fix' the ending.  I immensely enjoyed the jouney but the end of that journey has been tarnished beyond all repair.    The ending wasn't profound, or enlightening, or even well done.  It was terrible, it let down the fans, and Bioware really should have known better.  Free DLC or not, it will take something extrodinary for Bioware to get back into my good books.  First the disappointment with Dragon Age 2, then SWTOR, and now ME3's ending.   Bioware is falling apart it seems.

  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect CardiffPosts: 1,243Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by NavyJackal

    I agree with this statement completely.  The ending(s) of ME3 basically negated anything your version of Shepard did or accomplished throughout the enitre series.  It didn't matter if your Shepard was a paragon or a renegade, who had died, who had lived, who you allied with, as the final choice between the three outcomes had no bearing on what had come before.  If Bioware didn't intend to have any of those decisions to have an impact, why bother carrying them over from game to game?  It just was a huge letdown.   That there was very little difference between the endings regardless of which 'end method' you choose, not to mention that no matter what ending you choose the Mass Relays are destroyed effectively trapping Shepard's entire armada in Earth's solar system  was to me just a low blow that completly knocked the wind out of me.

    I don't know if Bioware can actually 'fix' the ending.  I immensely enjoyed the jouney but the end of that journey has been tarnished beyond all repair.    The ending wasn't profound, or enlightening, or even well done.  It was terrible, it let down the fans, and Bioware really should have known better.  Free DLC or not, it will take something extrodinary for Bioware to get back into my good books.  First the disappointment with Dragon Age 2, then SWTOR, and now ME3's ending.   Bioware is falling apart it seems.

    Before I say anything - that cat avatar with the headphones. Awesome!

    So.. basically, this. The ending just ignores everything you've done up to that point, it throws in some stupid starkid that was never foreshadowed and gives you three options to end the game that also has nothing to do with what came before it. It was like a new writer stepped in for those last 5 minutes with no knowledge of what happened before, then decided to write something to end the series off - that he had no knowledge of!

    It killed any replay value, not just for Mass Effect 3, but for the entire series. Knowing I was going through the games only for it all to mean nothing made the whole thing worthless. What makes me laugh is in the podcast interview with Hudson he says that he didn't expect people to think the universe would starve to death, etc. What the hell did he expect us to think?! He dropped every race in the galaxy into Sol space then blew up the Mass Relays. It just shows what an awful writer he is if he doesn't think about the repurcussions of the actions he's put to paper.

    I'll be downloading the EC today after I've finished work and hope that they've done something with it to make it worth playing the games again. At the moment, they're just gathering dust.

  • fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,873Member Uncommon

    Yes, I agree that most of Shepard's choices barely affected the ending. But saying that your choices didn't matter at all is not true. The choices you made mattered at the time you made them. Do you think that choosing whether to wipe entire race or to spare it is a meaningless choice just because it bares no relation to the resolution of the Reaper conflict. There are many such choices throughout the whole game and they are mostly meaningful. Do you guys really need to have everything pieced together and for them to acknowledge every single choice you made at the end. Does that happen in real life? 

    Did you guys see the extended ME endings? I think they did a very good job to explain the different endings. Most people didn't comprehend any of it (all they saw was different colours) and now the explanation is more in your face. They gave further insight into why the catalyst was created and what the reapers represent.

    Overall I am very pleased with the extended ending. 

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect CardiffPosts: 1,243Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fivoroth

    Did you guys see the extended ME endings? I think they did a very good job to explain the different endings. Most people didn't comprehend any of it (all they saw was different colours) and now the explanation is more in your face. They gave further insight into why the catalyst was created and what the reapers represent.

    Overall I am very pleased with the extended ending. 

    I agree the endings were better presented, but as a part of the overall series they remained unchanged so still sucked. I stand by my opinion that nothing you do up to the point of Star Brat actually matters. Okay, so you get a slightly different ending with maybe the earth burning due to low EMS, but seriously, if that's all my time has done throughout the whole series then.. blah. It burns, it doesn't burn, Reapers get controlled or everyone becomes part robot. It's like you have one fantastic series of games, then at the ending it becomes a different game with 3 choices.

    What they should have done is included the Star Brat and had his EC dialogue, but without the three choices. He could have explained who he is and why the Reapers do what they do, but there shouldn't have been any three choices. He instead should have pleaded with you to understand the situation and walk away. After all is done, you activate the Crucible which emits a sort of virus into the Reaper system, lowering shields and weakening ability. Then the war starts with all those assets you gathered blowing the living hell out of the Reapers. Maybe an additional mission where you board Harbinger and bring him down from the inside, similar to the suicide run from ME2.

    But no, we get three choices and all those assets just sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to press a button.

  • Bushi131Bushi131 of angelsPosts: 62Member

    I' sure it went like this :

    Bioware head cheese : "[..] but we have to make it a milestone, something everyone will remember, will talk about"

    EA Big Cheese : "it's the last one of the franchise, who cares? just kill the cost, kill everybody at the end!"

    Bioware head cheese : "yes !! it can work, let's do it, THIS IS BIOWARE !! they'll remember us"

    EA Big Cheese : " that's the spirit, fuck those maggots, we play them and they play our games, they not gonna bitch around"

    .....

    After a while.

    ....

    EA Big Cheese : "we are lossing so much shareprices, nobody wents to invest in EA shares, they says it's all Bolonie"

    Bioware head cheese : "let's make a free DLC, you know, let them regain faith in us"

    EA Big Cheese : " fuck that we don't have the money to give anything, we are not f***** chinese MMO company, we don't talk about free to play nor Free DLC, we are EA the biggest of them all"

    .....

    Notch : " you cynicals bastards!"

    ea : " [...] Yeah will give everything we've got, we want free to play .... you"

    http://kotaku.com/5919847/the-strange-scary-fascinating-exciting-future-of-video-games-according-to-a-giant

     

Sign In or Register to comment.