Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is your Blacklisted company?

Comments

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

None. If a game is good I play it and don't care who makes it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

None if the game is good the game is good... dont care who made it..

Your just shooting yourself in the foot if you just refuse to paly games by certain companies and at the end of th day its your loss not the company in question..

if its a game type i try to stear clear of its f2p or b2p with cash shops.. as the main income for both are items in the cash shop and they are usually game changing items you must have..

so its usually p2p games only for me... but gonig back to my main statement i will play f2p or b2p games if they are good and the cash shop does not spoil the fun..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Frogster

Most publishers have flaws and most just have almost no customer support,but Frogster manages to make a mess of everything.

Even when i tried to explain bugs that cost me real money,their support after VERY long waits [2 weeks]would just act like total idiots.Their response would be like soem cue card reading agency,they wouldn't even be talking about the same thing i was.Then i would have to like "have you even played the game?"Getting ripped off a lot of money and seeing NO active online GM or support EVER,i had to just give up and quit.MANY times i had to cal lthem to get my cash shop purchases that never went through,it was extremely frustrating.

Other developers all have i guess smaller reasons for pissing me off but SOE is all about GREED.I do not like a develoepr that does not care about it's community or it's own game but puts ALL efforts in to cash shop and making sure the cash shop is all up to date and working fine.

As to the Op's dillema over Square,they had a very awkward system,i never ehard of anyone being charged after cancelling.That was usually a case of not knowing how to properly cacel the sub without cancelling/deleting your player ,which many also messed up and blamed Square.What Square did that caused all the ruckus was a payment idea that imo was not right.They would charge from the 1st of every month,no matter you  only played even 1-2 days of that month.Well not quite that bad ,because they shut down billing for the last 5 days of every month,but you could  have played only 5-6 days and get charged the whole month.They have remedied that fiascal long ago.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

EA has done to much wrong to the games I love to forgive XD

Perfect World is going down a dark road in my book because of their actions with Cryptic and their mystery box bs.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don´t Blacklist companies just games. If a game would be good enough I would get it even if Satan himself is the publisher.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Loke666

I don´t Blacklist companies just games. If a game would be good enough I would get it even if Satan himself is the publisher.

But he publishes all of them.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• KalimniKalimni Member UncommonPosts: 74

SoE is probably the closest I have to being blacklisted. I don't play EA games in general, but its not because of anything I recall them doing. 

Generally speaking, one bad apple doesn't ruin the barrel for me, so I tend to give most companies a couple of chances.

• sindraodsindraod Member Posts: 28
    Definitely EA. Not even close.
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Loke666

Lately I've been seeing decent looking games published by game companies known for pay2win mechanics and dumbed down gameplay, so yeah a chosen publisher can have a pretty horrible effect on how certain games are played.

MechWarrior Online and Neverwinter come to mind, sure there are more though

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Saydien

This "I will never ever for the love of god buy a game of company X or Y" in my eyes is pretty silly and childish. While it is more than reasonable to be more wary and less inclined to step into another hype trap of certain companies the only one you truly punish actually is yourself. That is if you actually even live up to your holy oath to never ever touch one of their games again. What I very much doubt in case of at least 80% of the people that make such claims.

^^ This.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Cryptic

1. One of the first major companies to promote Subscritpion + Cash Shop model. Moreover, their little bs cash-grab tactics, e.g., "Players who purchase the $250 lifetime subscription before the game launches are given an exclusive playable Borg Race."
    2. Terrible / Instanced / Linear Gameplay

EA
    1. Masters of Marketing. They promote well, ask for much, and provide little.

BioWare
    1. The company who had all funding in the world to produce the perfect game. However, we still got a single-player rpg with a monthly fee. This is a single-player rpg company.

Funcom

1. Just too Theme Park.

I know a lot of people hate SOE. However, they still managed to produce my top 3 MMOs: EQ2, SWG, and VG. My main problem is their concern with consoles. If they start creating MMOs for all platforms, I'll probably stay clear from them as well. The console systems are just too limited. When you bring a game to the Pc from console, it genenerally feels lacking and is absolutely terrible.
  • ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Funcom -  Recall what Funcom did with AoC.  Just before release they told the beta testers that the beta build was 3-4 builds behind their internal testing and that they had full content for the level 30+ zones that would be in at release including DX10.  None of this was true the game was completely unfinished outside the starter 1-20 zone,  They played bait and switch with the general public and let open beta testers only play level 1-13 which was well done.  They designed a game for children marketing the game to children with an emphasis on sex, obscentiy, blood, gore and a simplistic gimmicky combat system.  They paid people to post non stop on these forums posting  postive reviews of AoC.  The game was built on lies and targeted to the worst of the MMO community.  Designed to last players a few weeks.  It was a box sale game only with lies designed to cover up the true state of the game and maximize box sales.

SOE - Its lies about EQ's expansions.  Intentionaly putting in bugs that would stop guild progress to let them finish therest of the expansion that they claimed was done when they sold the expansion.

SWG lying to its players about the inclusion of the JEdi quest when it was not in game.  NGE Completely changing the game in the expansion wihtout telling anyone of the changes until they purchased the expansion.  Vanguard when SOE entereted into an agreement with Sigil sigil completely changed the design of the game between beta 1 and beta 2 resulting in Sigil having to spend over a year ofbeta time redoing the entire game resulting in an unfinished game wgich eventually was sold to SOE.  WHen the game was purchased by SOE they fired almost all the devs and  stopped evelopment of the game relasing almost no new content except finishing content that had already been staretd by Sigil.  One cannot invest hundreds of days played into an SOE game as SOE simply cannot be trusted.

• eykosurfeykosurf Member Posts: 14

No blacklisting per se, I simply do more digging into a game for companies with a lackluster history.  For example, I'm leery of The Secret World soley based on my experience with Age of Conan.  Not that I personally dislike Funcom, but it's the whole 'fool me twice' thing.

The Market's a beautiful thing in this respect.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Pale_Fire
    Originally posted by Saydien This "I will never ever for the love of god buy a game of company X or Y" in my eyes is pretty silly and childish. While it is more than reasonable to be more wary and less inclined to step into another hype trap of certain companies the only one you truly punish actually is yourself. That is if you actually even live up to your holy oath to never ever touch one of their games again. What I very much doubt in case of at least 80% of the people that make such claims.
    ^^ This.

QFE- if I boycotted all games made by a gaming company that burned their players I'd never play anything associated with EA, SOE, Activision, or Cryptic. That wouldn't leave me with much choice. You have to judge games based on their individual merits.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Starts with C ends with ryptic. Do I need to show my workings out? :)

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

For me so far it's: 

- Mythic (Warhammer, SWTOR <-- yes, that was Mythic, not old Bioware, SWTOR was made by a new division created by EA with Mythic employees and newcomers)

- Frogster (just purely incompetent, will kill any game they touch, killed Tera and will kill ArcheAge if they get their dirty hands on it)

- GOA (not sure they still exist, nearly as bad as Frogster)

- Cryptic, for reasons everyone knows

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Ill not blacklist any company if the games good and i enjoy playing it. i dont cant if there greedy or have the worst release in history as long as they fix it in the long run. i play games to relax and have fun and i dont care who made it as long as i like to play it .

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

No companies are blacklisted. Don't have time for that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

Any non-developer 3rd party publisher. GOA, Gameforge etc.

I had nothing but problems playing EU 3rd party published/maintained games, even though their US counterpart is being maintained by the developer.

Those aside, well, EA doesn't count, so... no one I guess.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Ubisoft showed a total disregard for their customers in the way they handled an issue with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for PC.  The game worked fine for me one evening, but the next day I couldn't log in to their service.  I thought it might have been a down server, but forum posts from other users indicated a server-side patch.  Some users were able to log in and some were not.  I watched the forums for a week, hoping for a fix.  However, anyone who posted about the issue had their forum post deleted.  Violating freedom of speech when it doesn't even harm the company directly is a big no-no in my book.  Refusing to support those who suddenly had issues due to a "secret server patch" tells me they don't care about their customers.  They got their money and screwed the people who wanted to continue to enjoy the multiplayer.

That is why I will never give Ubisoft another dime.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

SOE for obvious reasons... SWG.

However, I've played their games, EQ, EQ2, Planetside, Matrix etc etc etc, and their handling of these games, and their ******!! and ********!!§!!!! CEO Smedley, I'll never ever again give them my money.

SOE, where good games and ideas, go to die.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

EA

FunCom

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Although I wouldn't go as far as to say I've "Blacklisted" any company I haven't bought anything from EA or Activision in quite some time. It isn't like I wouldn't buy something from them in the future however it is more that they would have to come up with something that is actually good first. Most of their releases in the last few years have been complete shit.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There is really only one company that deserves to be blacklisted, and that's because EVERY single game they've touched, they've ruined with greed.  SOE has show thier true colors several times and every time ruin the game.  Everquest, Star Wars Galaxy, Planetside, Vanguard,  DCUO,  Everquest 2 have all be ruined by SOE.  All of them ruined by greed.  it's plain to see, they have games with cash shop pay2win along with required subscriptions.  They won't fix bugs and update anything, that costs them money.  They release an expansion, then not a month later after everyone paid for the expansion, they totally change how the game works and plays.  They promise monthly content patches, but it turns out a content patch every 3 months, if you're lucky.  They won't pay to upgrade thier security to stop hackers from gather peoples account and credit card information.  Every single thing really comes down to money for SOE.  They don't want to spend it, but they expect thier players to pay $50 a month for thier games. uh...no thanks.

Edit: It's a shame, because Planetside 2 looks totally awesome, but I wouldn't be suprised if you had to buy ammo from a cash shop at $1 a bullet or something ridiculous like that lol.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Gravarg

There is really only one company that deserves to be blacklisted, and that's because EVERY single game they've touched, they've ruined with greed.  SOE has show thier true colors several times and every time ruin the game.  Everquest, Star Wars Galaxy, Planetside, Vanguard,  DCUO,  Everquest 2 have all be ruined by SOE.  All of them ruined by greed.  it's plain to see, they have games with cash shop pay2win along with required subscriptions.  They won't fix bugs and update anything, that costs them money.  They release an expansion, then not a month later after everyone paid for the expansion, they totally change how the game works and plays.  They promise monthly content patches, but it turns out a content patch every 3 months, if you're lucky.  They won't pay to upgrade thier security to stop hackers from gather peoples account and credit card information.  Every single thing really comes down to money for SOE.  They don't want to spend it, but they expect thier players to pay $50 a month for thier games. uh...no thanks.

Edit: It's a shame, because Planetside 2 looks totally awesome, but I wouldn't be suprised if you had to buy ammo from a cash shop at $1 a bullet or something ridiculous like that lol.

1) Planetside 2 is F2P .. i highly doubt you cannot play at least part of the game for free.

2) You said it yourself. It is a shame you are missing out on a game you called awesome. And for what? Blacklisting companies is just silly and accomplishes little.