Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Tales of a Gamer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We've got the second entry in a brand new column from Hillary "Pokket" Nicole. In this second edition, Pokket continues her autobiographical look at the life of a young gamer. Read on!

12:37 p.m. The upside to computer classes is you have a computer sitting in front of you the whole class. This means free reign over the internet. The two guys sitting next to me sat on facebook nearly the whole class. I managed to check Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, 3 of my favorite gaming forums, and any recent columns on MMORPG.com while Farmville is up in one of the tabs. It's amazing how addicting this game can be once you start playing it. I got spammed enough requests to play it, so figured I may as well.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: Tales of a Gamer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SharpKrisSharpKris Member Posts: 17

its funny to see life in view of another gamer but i think this might be the wrong place. also i didnt understand whether you were in collge or in high school. vlog would go much better for you

• oddbat1334oddbat1334 Member Posts: 33

No. Just no.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    BitOriginally posted by NameWasTaken
    [mod edit]

Bit harsh no?  That being said first article/blog was better.

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

I really fail to see the point of this article.  Most people play games in order to escape the inanities of daily life so why write a column about those uninteresting inanities on a game site?

This article would have been much better if you had focused more on the time spent gaming and less on Wal-Mart or conversations with your mother.  Why did you spend so much time playing WoW those nights?  Did something interesting happen while playing?  What about the game or the genre in general makes you play it to the detriment of your daily life?  You mentioned playing DKC2 on Gameboy and a little bit about why you still enjoy it but why not some more detail?  What makes you continue to play this game instead of others and how might that relate to games or life in general?  Why is having a mobile game platform at your side during your day important to you and how does it impact you when the batteries die and you can't play anymore?  These are the questions which your article begs but fails to answer.  Focus less on the events themselves and more on the meanings and lessons which can be drawn from them in order to relate them better to your audience.  

Good luck.

It is drivel. Having read both blogs, I still have no idea what the point of this is. I read the introduction, and I do understand that she's trying to showcase her creative writing skills while providing insight into her life. The simple fact of the matter is that I just don't care. I'm not compelled to read this at all because there's nothing drawing me to it. I suppose there are fragments of what you could call a story, but it's not in the slightest bit interesting enough to keep going. If she wants people to read this, she has to give them a reason to. In the meantime, this isn't really content worthy of being showcased. I hate being completely negative. I'm not a negative person, and I bear no grudge against Pokket. That being said, I hope she reads this post and finds at least something constructive in it. It would be great to see her refine this idea she has and post an improvement on it next week.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I fail to see much that is entertaining to this blog. Especially after you read the disclaimer at the top letting you know most of it is fictional. If it was based off true events you could at least read it and think "Man someone is more messed up than me", but you are robbed of that little nugget right away. All in all there is much much more options out there if you want to write a fictional blog that grabs gamers interests. I have enjoyed your video posts and agree with others that you do much better in video than written words.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Donkey Kong Country is one of the best platformers of all time!   Props for that.  However, when something in real life makes you angry and you want to go to an mmorpg like WoW and kill people DON'T GO TO THE DAMN BATTLEGROUNDS!!!  You should be in Redridge Mountains murdering new players!!!  What the hell???  Your troll card is hereby revoked! 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

Really?

[mod edit] These might not be the greatest columns, but they deserve neither the vitriol or the bs previously mentioned.

• ToucTouc Member Posts: 21

I was almost 19 years old and wasted my first year in college on Biology. I switched to Civil Engineering even though I sucked at math because a career aptitude test said I might be strong in that field. I started in algebra and studied for 8-12 hours each day until I graduated at the age of 24. I quit games during the school year and took summer classes as well. I lost the urge to play when SWG died and I realized that games are not forever; proven by all of the "WoW-killers". I believe that everybody should follow their dreams, but they have to be realistic and have steps to eventually achieving the dreams. 

tl;dr: Grow a set, put down the controller or step away from the keyboard, study, be a productive part of society (generally). Nobody really cares how fast you can kill a boss. In the words of Duke Nukem, "Come Get Some".

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Well, glad I won't bother ever clicking on this thing again. Seems beyond pointless and it's nice to know someone has a column that's basically their own personal blog.

[mod edit]

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

This is exactly why i hate Twitter and Facebook status messages. Diaries are private because noone else cares. Even if they are fake. Oh you just had the most AMAZING grilled cheese sammich... grats? You hate people who dont drive like you want them too? Who doesnt. Really theres a time and place to outline the innerworkings of your own mind, and doing it in public is not it. Thanks but no thanks

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

i dont get it?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

It's different from what is usually posted here, so why hate?

Embrace what's different, stop hatin'.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Her blog I assume is supposed to be a funny tongue-in-cheek life of gamer blog.  It's called  a fluff piece in news circles.  However like I stated before this one wasn't that funny.

Originally posted by Asamighost

It's not about this being different, it's about it not being quality. If she's going to tell a story, it needs to be a good one, with a purpose. Maybe she just hasn't had enough space for it to evolve into something yet. Maybe she should focus on the contrast between her gaming addiction and a fictional family member's alcoholism. Something. Anything. It doesn't have to be book worthy, but if it's being published here, it shouldn't be highschool level. At least it isn't as bad as that awful "guild sores" comic.

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by JerYnkFan

Her blog I assume is supposed to be a funny tongue-in-cheek life of gamer blog.  It's called  a fluff piece in news circles.  However like I stated before this one wasn't that funny.

If anything, it was a little depressing.  It was an account about how everything in her day went wrong and how she ended it by spending an hour ruminating on how much she hated her life and then let off steam by playing WoW for a self-abusive amount of time which would cause her next day to pretty much be a repeat of the same misery.  Kinda like that "I'm unhappy because I eat too much and I eat too much because I'm unhappy" type of thing except with games.

I hate being so critical and I do wish her the best of luck with improving her column but I think it is important to be honest with someone so they can improve.  It is one thing if you are writing a blog for yourself and you just want to put your thoughts out there and don't care about anyone's opinion but this is being spotlighted at the top of the homepage.  

Originally posted by oddbat1334

It's not about this being different, it's about it not being quality. If she's going to tell a story, it needs to be a good one, with a purpose. Maybe she just hasn't had enough space for it to evolve into something yet. Maybe she should focus on the contrast between her gaming addiction and a fictional family member's alcoholism. Something. Anything. It doesn't have to be book worthy, but if it's being published here, it shouldn't be highschool level. At least it isn't as bad as that awful "guild sores" comic.

This is way better than the garbage MMO reviews where the writer only made it to level 10 and judges the entire game experience based just off of that. Even though this is fiction it is closest thing to reality this site has offered. I only come here for the forums and not the reviews. Seriously, the Diablo 3 reviewer made it to level 30 and gave the game a 8.5/10 are you kidding me?

Originally posted by Touc

This is way better than the garbage MMO reviews where the writer only made it to level 10 and judges the entire game experience based just off of that. Even though this is fiction it is closest thing to reality this site has offered. I only come here for the forums and not the reviews. Seriously, the Diablo 3 reviewer made it to level 30 and gave the game a 8.5/10 are you kidding me?

Throwing in unrelated things like the Diablo review doesn't really change anything, because it's a different topic altogether. I understand that you're trying to say that this is better by comparison, but that doesn't necessarily make it good, especially considering I never mentioned anything about the usual content. I'm not so wild about it either. Maybe try refuting my claims on a point by point basis instead of not addressing them at all.

Throwing in unrelated things like the Diablo review doesn't really change anything, because it's a different topic altogether. I understand that you're trying to say that this is better by comparison, but that doesn't necessarily make it good, especially considering I never mentioned anything about the usual content. I'm not so wild about it either. Maybe try refuting my claims on a point by point basis instead of not addressing them at all.

Why?

Why?

If you're going to quote someone's post, it's implied that you're replying to it. If you're replying to it, you should actually reply to it, instead of posting something tenuously related to what I said that you could have posted anyway without dragging me into it.

Why?

If you're going to quote someone's post, it's implied that you're replying to it. If you're replying to it, you should actually reply to it, instead of posting something tenuously related to what I said that you could have posted anyway without dragging me into it.

You don't like what she wrote. I like what she wrote. I think it's better than most of the articles posted on this site. You think it shouldn't be highschool level because it's being published on this website. I still think it's better than most of the articles on this website. Did you read the Diablo 3 review because that is really garbage?

It's all opinions and I'm not trying to prove you wrong. Yes, we can coexist this way.

Why?

You don't like what she wrote. I like what she wrote. I think it's better than most of the articles posted on this site. You think it shouldn't be highschool level because it's being published on this website. I still think it's better than most of the articles on this website. Did you read the Diablo 3 review because that is really garbage?

It's all opinions and I'm not trying to prove you wrong. Yes, we can coexist this way.

That's better.

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

Pokket's popularity comes because she's a "girl gamer" and so many geeky guys who've always dreamed of having a girlfriend that plays games, or girlfriend period, drool all over her.

This is just my point that if someone doesn't have anything real to add to society they shouldn't be bowed down to as if they were some kind of gaming god. Any one of you could write the same drivel and be snubbed by the gaming community. Throw a high pitched voice and a pair of breasts on and the same gamers would shower you with praise. 

Why?

That's better.

I'm glad you liked the dumbed-down verson; your approval makes my day.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by Pretender00

Pokket's popularity comes because she's a "girl gamer" and so many geeky guys who've always dreamed of having a girlfriend that plays games, or girlfriend period, drool all over her.

This is just my point that if someone doesn't have anything real to add to society they shouldn't be bowed down to as if they were some kind of gaming god. Any one of you could write the same drivel and be snubbed by the gaming community. Throw a high pitched voice and a pair of breasts on and the same gamers would shower you with praise. 

Sadly I would have to agree, I don't understand people that watch live streams too, why ?????  People making money off you watching them play a game and it helps nobody , i don't understand it.