Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people going back to Rift?

pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Hi guys.. again thanks for answering and sharing your points of view! :)

I was wondering.. why are people going back to Rift? I do like Rift a lot in fact... and when Tera came out I played it and realized that it sucks... but I didn't think at the time that players would go back to Rift... what you think?????

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Maybe those going back to Rift want to play Rift again?

It's not my preference of a game but it's not a bad game. They update it frequently so perhaps folks want to see what new stuff there is.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Solid game with a solid Company behind it..

Trion generates content like no tomorrow.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    For starters, it’s not a bad game.  It was actually great fun for two months.

Why do any of us go back to old games we quit for one reason or another?  We want to play something, almost anything to pass the time until the game we really want to play goes live.

Maybe because their subscription just renewed or they have time left on an old subscription and they have little choice.  No sense in wasting the money already spent.

But the good news is they will not have to continue this monotonous game jumping just to have something “good enough” to pass the time with.  Guild Wars 2 will eventually launch and they won’t have to settle any more.

Nanulak

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i have no clue why ive gone back to Rift. tried to last year some time and it just bored me stiff. now ... /shrug no clue, im having fun and thats all that counts.

im not sure you can quantify the vagaries of consumer decision making. if you could, you'd be a billionaire.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Well ok.. I'm back to Rift too... One thing thats true is that they customer support is amazing, and the company is very solid... I like Rift and hope it survives!!!

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I quite enjoyed the journey to the level cap but once I got there I found there was nothing left to do that I was interested in and there are only so many times you can close a rift without getting bored with it. Their 'endgame' just didn't suit me.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Inevitably most people get bored and go back to the games they previously played.  They play for another month, maybe twp, remember why they left and leave again.    This is a pretty common cycle in MMO's.  Personally some of my friends who still play rift said they didn't see people coming back, in fact they said they see the same cycle, new people come, and others leave.  With Rift endgame is a huge issue IMO, its eay to get bored.

• CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

I just started up on rift for the first time last week. Simply cos i need a good fantasy mmo and was disappointed with tera.

I think major reason why people are going back or starting out on rift is cos theres a gap with mmo's right now.

WoW is dead atm content wise until mop comes. Theres no reason to log into it. Tera isnt to manys liking.

Diablo 3 which attracted many wow players was a big disappointment for many and now they look for another game. I would love to see the login numbers on that game since RMAH and 1.3 patch.

Rift is the major contender for wow for pve raiding and other simularitys. With its expansion later this year attracted some people aswell.

I think rift might get hit quite hard when gw2 comes, atleast for a few months. It all depends when the expansion comes and how it lines up with gw2 release. Same thing with mop. Trion need to fix their pvp system if they expect to keep steady numbers though, they are expanding the level when its already too much of a gap between people on new chars and those who spent 100's of hours. I plan to just avoid any pvp while playing it.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

It is still in its essence a dungeon grinder/raiding mmo like 90% of the mmo's out there, and the quest chain system is enough to drive a man insane.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by pongdun

Hi guys.. again thanks for answering and sharing your points of view! :)

I was wondering.. why are people going back to Rift? I do like Rift a lot in fact... and when Tera came out I played it and realized that it sucks... but I didn't think at the time that players would go back to Rift... what you think?????

lots of new stuff for me actually, i played until patch 1.6 so going back at patch 1.9 this week will have lots of stuff to do for a new player.  Rift might have the dreaded WoW like mechanics (trinity, gear treadmill etc) but it is also done by a company that is really the only one that's earned it's subscription fees monthly with it's alacrity at churning out new content and new mechanics for the game to make it more fun. (new for them)

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by DJJazzy
    ..it's not a bad game. They update it frequently so perhaps folks want to see what new stuff there is.
    Pretty much sums it up. I haven't played for a while but I didn't leave in disgust or anything, I just felt that I'd done what there was to be done and went off to play something else.

I'm sure I'll fire up the sub again at some point in the future to check out the stuff they have already added since I left, and the stuff that they will no doubt continue to add.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by grogstorm

But the good news is they will not have to continue this monotonous game jumping just to have something “good enough” to pass the time with.  Guild Wars 2 will eventually launch and they won’t have to settle any more.

I threw up just a little inside my mouth. Big Bird and Mr. Snuffleupagus might agree though.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Having played every big name MMO released since Rift, I'm tempted.  It was the best out of all of them, no question.  One disappointment after another, while I really enjoyed Rift - for about a month.

..but then I hated the endgame, and hated that there were only four classes, and customization was minimal.  My character was too cookie-cutter for me to feel much of an attachment to, since everyone was a jack-of-all-trades, and just seemed like there was nothing to do but grind for equipment, which just doesn't appeal to me.  So not going back, even though I'd say it blows these other recent MMOs like TOR, TERA, and TSW out of the water.

Keeping an eye on it though.  Maybe I'll give it a second chance eventually.  Especially if they ever get around to addressing my main issues with it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Often new games that do not live up to expectations makes a solid game like Rift look a look better.  When ToR came out Rift expereinced a huge increase in subs from January to March.  When people leave a game in droves it often means good news for other games.  Tera never had that much hype, big population and its gameplay is not as similar as ToR/Rift so it has not had helped Rift anywhere near as much.  In Fact Rift started expereincing a large decline in players once Tera came out but keep in mind D3 came out shortly after and GW2 beta weekends started then soon as well,  The last month Rift has been slowly gaining back some of those players.   I am guessing D3 players but maybe some from Tera but it is still lost a lot of players since March.  During this time Rift dropped down from 16 to NA servers to 8 with two bearely hanging on. While the Euro servers have dropped down to 4.  Rifts 12 totwl servers left compares favorably to ToR's 16 total servers left and will likely continue to be healthy much longer than ToR.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Trion just listen to it's playerbase and make game for them. 

Good service and fight fr playerbase by quality of service and not by making it for 'borader and broader appeal' with each patch.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Istavaan

It is still in its essence a dungeon grinder/raiding mmo like 90% of the mmo's out there, and the quest chain system is enough to drive a man insane.

THe quest system was my biggest beef with the game also....It just feels so generic.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

Why are people going back to Rift?  SWtoR disappointed a lot of people, Tera's questing is akin to WAR's (don't know why, it just feels really blah), WoW is leaking subs left and right, GW2 has no release date yet, TSW might be a disappointment ... what else is there?

I won't go back to Rift.  In fact, I'm done paying sub fees for games that feature content on endless repeat and which have mechanics I despise.  That said, from my time there, Rift does have something to offer those who like the sort of game it is; Trion is responsive to their community (sometimes too much so, imo); and they produce content at a rate that should shame Blizzard/Activision (but won't).  Trion might very well be the best studio running that type of game.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by tank017

This.

also a kinda lost that WoW feel. Going into WoW this year (with SoR) I felt lost in terms of gameplay and the feel of the game.

Rift has awesome gameplay. in the world. I have something fun to do other than just questing all the time.

also I dont need to raid dungeons and do party dungeons just to have some PvE fun...

the PvP need improvement, but its still fun. I hate the PvP grind. thats all. not very motivating, to grind all day in PvP, only to get 75% of a single rank.

conquest may change all that. dont forget 1.9 come out tomorrow(?)

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Istavaan

THe quest system was my biggest beef with the game also....It just feels so generic.

90% of MMOs?  There are only 4  MMOS with supported progression raiding Rift, EQ2, andWoW.  Maybe  ToR would be a 4th on this lsit but no serious raid guilds raid there and I doubt they have the content or they type of playerbase to be considered a real raiding game.  Raid games are few and far between. Some games may have zerg raid mobs and some ellements of raiding but not what one would generally call raiding which is progression raiding.

In regards to Rift being a  gear grind.  It is a shallow gear grind.  It offers quite a bit of endgame activities for most playstyles butat its heart its a raiding game.  That was how it was deisigned and how it has evolved post release.  Raiders simply are more dependable  long term subscribers than the normal ADHD player that leaves any game the 1st second they become bored.  The EQ/EQ2/Vanguard crowd was the first to come to Rift and made up of most of the games ALpha Testers and Alpha guilds as well as followers thanks to Hartsman.  Rift is essentially the sequel to EQ2/Vanguard.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Basically, most of the MMOs that have come out since Rift have been the same ol' generic crap.

While Rift is still basically this, it's the most supported of them so far, and they are actually putting out content regularly. It's definitely a good game, but some of the features still do feel dated.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Zippy

Often new games that do not live up to expectations makes a solid game like Rift look a look better.  When ToR came out Rift expereinced a huge increase in subs from January to March.  When people leave a game in droves it often means good news for other games.  Tera never had that much hype, big population and its gameplay is not as similar as ToR/Rift so it has not had helped Rift anywhere near as much.  In Fact Rift started expereincing a large decline in players once Tera came out but keep in mind D3 came out shortly after and GW2 beta weekends started then soon as well,  The last month Rift has been slowly gaining back some of those players.   I am guessing D3 players but maybe some from Tera but it is still lost a lot of players since March.  During this time Rift dropped down from 16 to NA servers to 8 with two bearely hanging on. While the Euro servers have dropped down to 4.  Rifts 12 totwl servers left compares favorably to ToR's 16 total servers left and will likely continue to be healthy much longer than ToR.

My login screen still shows 16 NA servers,where did 8 come from?

The rest of what you posted I agree with,but the server info you have is off.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by tank017

Yup.

Although honestly Diablo 3 sidetracked me entirely and I should get around to canceling my TERA subscription and getting back to playing more RIFT (still active.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Berikai
    Originally posted by Zippy

My login screen still shows 16 NA servers,where did 8 come from?

The rest of what you posted I agree with,but the server info you have is off.

If you look at Rift Status you will see 8 servers have died and dropped to 1.0 which explains why all the guilds have transfered off these servers,  Sadly before the decline these servers were all healthy.  Hopefully the slow increase the last month will pick up steam.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Trion straight up kicks ass. Thats why people go back to Rift.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

Rift, to my mind, is probably the best of the post-WoW clones. The soul system is brilliant, Rifts and Zone Invasions add a nice touch of chaos, the graphics are great, the combat feels very satisfying, and there are a ton of things to do. The questlines are wayyy too linear, but nothing's perfect.

Oh, and Trion. They're like a model for what a modern MMO developer should be like. Do they sleep at all?