Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

£12.99 a month? Pre-order cancelled.

TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Why so expensive in the UK?

(Please don't try the VAT excuse: every sub charges that.)

I like the game, but not that much.

I'm not paying that.

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    It’s not that much all things considered, but yes even EVE made the sub more competitive in the UK recently.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Have they discussed this at all? Simply doesn't make sense. Doubt you're alone OP which is a shame.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Because they think they can get away with it. Most of the times, it works.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

That is a lot - it's over $20 US converted.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Meh! Skip a candy bar or a soda. It's about  .66 cents US per day.   

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

The VAT isn't an excuse. Don't think of it as paying moar for the game, think of it as paying for generations of progressive politics. :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Amjoco

If they did this in the US people would have a conniption fit. They should change it. Only going to hurt their own sales. Doesn't make any sense.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Its the princible of the fact. Some times you just have to say no. To me it looks like fear, they need to make as much as they can before it goes ftp.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

If they did this in the US people would have a conniption fit. They should change it. Only going to hurt their own sales. Doesn't make any sense.

The difference is probably largely a matter of taxation. I am not sure how it works over there, but if the VAT tax is applied to this then it could very easily account for the difference, we don't have one here.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Something a lot of these companies have been doing for a long time now is using the same numeric value across the board for the subs. So they charge, say, $19.99 in the US and £19.99 in the UK. Presumably hoping nobody will notice the excessive amounts some of them end up paying due to exchange rates, etc. It sounds like a bit of a scam but at the end of the day I suppose people should check and don't *have* to subscribe.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Keep in mind that the US sum includes sales tax and the US one does not.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Lose a lot of potential subs there

Most games in UK these days for a monthyl sub are about £8. Sterling is strong these days and savvy consumers will not appreciate being gouged like this.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

Its the princible of the fact. Some times you just have to say no. To me it looks like fear, they need to make as much as they can before it goes ftp.

They have been charging 18 euros for Anarchy Online for years now, is that a fear too? for a 7 year old game?

*rolls eyes*

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Considering every other MMO.. SWTOR, WOW, TERA, pick one.. are £8.99 incl VAT a month asking £12.99 is a bit cheeky. Especially when it's only 1 country being asked to pay 40% extra.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Keep in mind that the US sum includes sales tax and the US one does not.

erm what?

Originally posted by Obidom

Lose a lot of potential subs there

Most games in UK these days for a monthyl sub are about £8. Sterling is strong these days and savvy consumers will not appreciate being gouged like this.

If the game is good people will pay it. If the game is good I know I'd pay it, it really isn't that much money. My big problem with this game is they're going to hit me with a sub fee AND have a cash shop, i think its an either or proposition, and i prefer a sub personally.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I liked it... but not enough to pay such a subscription fee...

I'll wait a few months until it's F2P.

..Cake..

Originally posted by Kabaal

Considering every other MMO.. SWTOR, WOW, TERA, pick one.. are £8.99 incl VAT a month asking £12.99 is a bit cheeky. Especially when it's only 1 country being asked to pay 40% extra.

/shrug, maybe they're the first company that decided the consumer should eat this tax not them, after all you voted for the represenatives that enacted the tax. mmos are very cheap if you consider the amount of entertainment one gets from a well done mmorpg. No idea if this title is one of those, but I am sure the devs would like to think so.

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by sgel

Sure a niche game starting with small but strong base will go F2P in few months. You are confusing TSW with SWTOR which was made for mass consumption, opened with 100+ servers and fell flat on its face.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by KingGator
    Originally posted by Kabaal

/shrug, maybe they're the first company that decided the consumer should eat this tax not them, after all you voted for the represenatives that enacted the tax. mmos are very cheap if you consider the amount of entertainment one gets from a well done mmorpg. No idea if this title is one of those, but I am sure the devs would like to think so.

The tax doesn't have anything to do with it as it's the same 20% it's been for years, even if it did a 40% hike is just double dipping.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Sameer1979
    Originally posted by sgel

Sure a niche game starting with small but strong base will go F2P in few months. You are confusing TSW with SWTOR which was made for mass consumption, opened with 100+ servers and fell flat on its face.

I'm still trying to find that many games that went F2P in a few months. Almost all of them take 2-3 years before converting.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

ive just sent an email to there support asking how much it is if it is £12.99 a mouth i will canncel my pre order to.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Easy solution, just change your address and country to US and you'll be charge in USD. Problem solved

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

update yes it is £12.99 a mouth they say you might get it a bit cheaper if you sub for longer but nothing said yet ive cannceld my pre order not paying that much.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

buy game time cards instead of paying trought funcom....

This discussion has been closed.