Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Island Forge (FREE Beta, indie MMORPG)

13»

Comments

• NyhmNyhm Member Posts: 82

I've released a slew of improvements since my last post here. New Full-Screen toggle (F11) released this morning. Fog has a two-tier effect. Island builder tool has several enhancements. (Plus a bunch of technical improvements that no one but me really cares about!)

Give it a try and, as always, let me know your thoughts. Many of these improvements are player-inspired, so your feedback is most welcome.

Be sure to like on on Facebook for the latest updates.

Thank you for your interest in Island Forge!

Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
    Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

I updated the original post with the latest gameplay feature:

Island Forge: Now with Coinage!

Authors are encouraged to re-publish your islands with the new Market shop, so other players can enjoy the new economy system on your island.

Feedback is always welcome - Thank you for your interest in Island Forge!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

This actually looks pretty interesting, ill give it a go.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Being a game designer myself, nearly have my degree now, I'm mostly an artist, 3d Modeler, UI, Texture artist etc. I know some scripting etc, so I make smaller scale games and such.. But anyways I always been a fan of indies because of what I do and support them so I will have to give this one a try and see what you have made.

Also people need to be a little more understanding coming from one person makes it harder so some people need to be  a little more understanding with there comments.  Input is one thing but flat out bashing someone is another which is wrong with kids , and gamers today.

Gamers should be happy that we are making games for them to play.. SO its NOT the same Old crap..

I give you respect . Good luck and I will post my comments once I play the game and let you know where you need adjustments /help.

By the way I also deal with Game play  mechanics, if you ever need any advise or any help on art aspects feel free to PM me  I don't mind helping indies out, we need more indies games...

I appreciate your comments, and any further advice/suggestion you can offer, Darkcrystal! One of my core philosophies for the game design is to _not_ do things the same old ways. Thank you for your interest and for your comments!

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Being a game designer myself, nearly have my degree now, I'm mostly an artist, 3d Modeler, UI, Texture artist etc. I know some scripting etc, so I make smaller scale games and such.. But anyways I always been a fan of indies because of what I do and support them so I will have to give this one a try and see what you have made.

Also people need to be a little more understanding coming from one person makes it harder so some people need to be  a little more understanding with there comments.  Input is one thing but flat out bashing someone is another which is wrong with kids , and gamers today.

Normally I just look past indie mmo's and one man projects like this. I checked out the site and the gameplay video and am actually suprised at how well things look put together. Your sandbox mechanics look great; the crafting, the islands, user-made content. Shit even the COMBAT looks interesting... Kinda like a runescape or say Ultima, but more fast-paced (keep it this way, its great).

Custom content is not an RPGMaker clone at all, this isometric hex system is rarely seen nowadays so this is a good sign. Reminds me of an old D&D game that'd be between the DOS RTS's and Baldurs Gate.

Sorry for the long speech its just my amphetamines kicked in. I'm gonna give your game a try :D

Originally posted by MajorBiggs
    Normally I just look past indie mmo's and one man projects like this. I checked out the site and the gameplay video and am actually suprised at how well things look put together. Your sandbox mechanics look great; the crafting, the islands, user-made content. Shit even the COMBAT looks interesting... Kinda like a runescape or say Ultima, but more fast-paced (keep it this way, its great).

Custom content is not an RPGMaker clone at all, this isometric hex system is rarely seen nowadays so this is a good sign. Reminds me of an old D&D game that'd be between the DOS RTS's and Baldurs Gate.

Sorry for the long speech its just my amphetamines kicked in. I'm gonna give your game a try :D

Thank you very much for your post, MajorBiggs! I'm working really hard to keep things classic-yet-modern, familiar-yet-unique, and I'm glad you appreciate my efforts. I'm all about the old-school, and your references are great.

The whole game is designed around player-created content, but you can also explore/fight/craft on your own or in groups. I've found it hard to explain all the features briefly enough to quickly grab players attentions the Web site, which leads to a lot of words, so thanks for taking the time to check it out!

There's a lot you can do, but it's designed to be easy to jump right in. Please let me know your thoughts when you've had the chance to give it a try!

Updated the original post to mention the new Island Point (IP) upgrade feature. Please let me know what you think! Community feedback is most appreciated.

Special announcement: Island Forge is no longer in Beta!

My sincere thanks for all the input I have received from the MMORPG.com community. I'm really excited for the future of Island Forge, and I look forward to meeting new players, as the Island Forge community continues to grow!

Play right now!

Edit: Please help us spread the news by liking Island Forge on Facebook and following on Twitter - You have our gratitude!

Island Forge is on Kickstarter!

See me talk about the game, myself, and the future of Island Forge.

Please check it out and help spread the word!

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Nyhm

Island Forge is on Kickstarter!

See me talk about the game, myself, and the future of Island Forge.

Please check it out and help spread the word!

How can you justify charging people monthly for this game? Especially when games such as LinkRealms offer free and higher quality experiences. You should just charge for people to own their own island.

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Originally posted by Nyhm Island Forge is on Kickstarter! See me talk about the game, myself, and the future of Island Forge. Please check it out and help spread the word!

How can you justify charging people monthly for this game? Especially when games such as LinkRealms offer free and higher quality experiences. You should just charge for people to own their own island.

Thanks for your input, WizGamer. Please see the Kickstarter project! A focus of my goals is to provide free play!

Island Forge is a single-developer MMORPG (me). What a lot of players don't get is the economy of scale needed to run a free-to-play business model. The bigger publishers can support thousands of free players while charging only for a few. There's nothing wrong with this model, if you have the means, but for small, indie developers, it's often not feasible.

This is a big topic in the MMO world right now. See some other thoughts in the Kickstarter comments and player forum.

Ultimately I want to give players what they want, so I am glad to hear your thoughts!

Kickstarter Update: New Lifetime Membership reward!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

How does this game compare to say: Pocket Island?

Heck, you can even get the pocket island source code: https://github.com/wooga/pocket-island

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2
    How does this game compare to say: Pocket Island? Heck, you can even get the pocket island source code: https://github.com/wooga/pocket-island

Pocket-Island is all about giving HTML5 developers a technology platform to tinkering with (even though the technology is "not quite there yet" in their own words).

Island Forge is all about end-users creating content and telling stories within one game world, where everyone can interact and explore.

Now on Steam Greenlight - check it out and vote it up!

Don't miss the last few days of my Kicsktarter project - I really need your support today!

Just added a Kickstarter update to the Island Forge page here on MMORPG.com:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/804/view/forums/thread/364677/Kickstarter-Goal-and-Still-Going.html

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by DeViLzzz2007

I would have loved to help you out with your free beta but I am in Canada.

Ditto, Eh!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Romko1256Romko1256 Member Posts: 6

good game?

• JamesOngkokJamesOngkok Member Posts: 1
    Looks like a good game to me.