Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth trying for the first time now?

2»

Comments

• GhavalGhaval Member UncommonPosts: 49

I did not say you can wear any crap and be ok with it. I like it when people start casting on my warrior. I can stand there and with the healers I have you can nuke on me all day and hardly make a dent in my life. stuns or mezz does not effect me more then an annoyance. Max range... simple.. back up a little they will move forward and you can move behind a tree or something. Other then that push charge and say hi. Only time you should have a caster, left to free cast is during a keep attack, and then only if you do not have enough casters/archers to keep them busy.

Gear up with the battle ground gear, that will get you decent, then depending on class and play style , while still in the level 49 battle ground, get arties and level them. By that time you should know generally what you need.

However if I have basic gear, and you have the most expensive gear known to the game ( and some that are not ), however, all you want to do is start nuke on me from max range. You will end up mezzed, stunned and nuked or beaten down. This is a group game for the most part, not solo ( however solo can be fun also ).

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243
    GW2>Daoc and its free and u can pvp as level 1 against level 80.  All of the good players have left daoc long time ago the one still playing are afraid to leave their old char behind and play new mmo.

Originally posted by Games888

GW2>Daoc and its free and u can pvp as level 1 against level 80.  All of the good players have left daoc long time ago the one still playing are afraid to leave their old char behind and play new mmo.

I played a long time ago, and was considered good.  I am not afraid to leave a char behind. I actually enjoy this game. I relize, appearently, you need a new game to make you happy. That is great for you. However, this was a discussion as to if the person should try DAOC. I am sure they know GW2 is out. Its posted over everything, much as WOW was, his question was not , does Games888 think there is any good players letft that are not aftraid to leave ther chars to play GW2. Let us stay on topic shall we?

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

Buff bots ruined this game. Most people have 2 other accounts auto following them lol. When people started doing this it turned into a solo game where no one wanted to group and play together any longer.

MMO's used to be about playing with other people. Now MMO's are all about solo playing in your world with other people in it.

I use pot buffs or the NPC buffs, never seem to have problems killing things with thoes. I do not care if I am missing 30 extra con or not. I am close enough to cap that it really does not make that large a difference.

No need to  have a Buff bot to compete!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Grab the 14 day trial and see for yourself.

link for trial

http://darkageofcamelot.com/trial

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

You can have a go at the trial, but you won't find the DAoC that many fondly remember. 

That game's been gone for a long time unfortunately. I haven't enjoyed any of my recent attempts to get back in to it, they've made some bad decisions over the years.

In all honesty, GW2s WvW currently captures more of what I loved about DAoC than DAoC does in its current state.

• DalamarGMDalamarGM Member UncommonPosts: 12

I say its still worth it.

You just need to find a good guild.

It also helps if you start fresh with a group of friends :)

And some of us still do the PvE content, it's still very fun. The community is was what caused the downfall of this game.

• StoshlovjchStoshlovjch Member Posts: 1

I wouldn't blame the community alone....

You had BIOWare come in and replace (out of content) new idea's and game play without starting from the ground up. NPC's were moved around however; the  NPC giving the quest would state," report to NPC on top of the tower X,YZ," to only find out s/he was no longer there...  Anyway IMHO, I still love the graphics engine. It's concrete with a real feel. If you don't like it, go to WoW and play a cartoon.  

IF one is to change the game play, one must start at the bottom and work it's way up to ensure the entire game is in check. After all, you don't wipe your arse before you take a dump, do you?

IMHO, it was the opening of Atlantis and all those damn artifacts and of course those people that must feel the need to cheat to get ahead... I've never before seen a master solder in Thadrinki RvR Battlegrounds before.. (Level 24)... Please.

I am hoping that Bioware would open a basic old fashion DAoC server with no add ons.! Good old fashion crafting and Lore.

Again, this a all a question of taste.

PS

I was a beta tester for DAoC before the game ever was opened to the publc and brought my guild over from the orginal EQ.

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262

I really don't think a new player would like Daoc. You'll always hear nice things about this game because of nostolgia people have for it, but by todays standards it is actually pretty bad. Class balance has always been horrible. You have classes like minstrel that can kill an small group by themselves and other classes like the archers that can only kill someone if they are afk. Archers were really fun at release but about 5-6 yrs ago the system was revamped , along with making armor more absorbant and heals cast faster , they went from snipers to scavengers. Minstrels on the other hand have been OP since release, they can charm a pet there own level, they have the only instant stun and it lasts 9 seconds and they wear chain armor. They can melee also but really you dont even have to. They also have aoe mez. If you're just starting out i would recommend minstrel as a first class, it takes very little skill to do well and will help you get used to the game.

Realm balance hasn't really changed at all since release. I logged in all 3 realms at primetime yesterday and checked out Molvik BG. Albion had around 70 players (15+ minstrels lol) Hibernia had around 35 and midgard had 7. There are a few people who still use buffbots but not many because you can just buy full buffs now from an npc. It's amazing it's been like 10 years and they still haven't fixed midgard. there melee classes are strong but stealth , caster , and healers are all inferior to the other realms, especially healers. So i would avoid playing midgard.

As other have said the UI is bad. You cannot scroll your camera in and out with mouse wheel you have to set a button to hold down then set buttons for up / down / in / out , so forget about moving camera in combat. Also no self targeting button for self healing, you have to click on yourself. Tab targeting is very short range so you also have to click enemy targets and thats very hard on there crumby server. Gameplay is extremely twitchy and you have people ghosting and warping constantly. I have a really nice PC and high speed isp so it is not my PC, it's there server. I can play newer games like Rift on high settings with no problem but in DaoC i enter combat and the screen twitches like mad.

Mostly what a new player would hate is the long duration mez and stun locks. New games have really gone away from this. I'd bet that stun locks probably causes more rage quits than anything else in this game. It's just no fun not being able to fight back. A large amount of your rvr time is going to be like this " you are mezzed , you are stunned , you are dead " It can also be the otherway around if your doing the mezzing and stunning but either way it's not very much fun. The game has an ability called purge but you can only use it every 15min and you will be CC'd constantly.

I loved this game at release but of course at that time there wasn't much else out there .Now there are much better games out there. There is a reason why they are down to half a server. image

Originally posted by Senjinn

I really don't think a new player would like Daoc. You'll always hear nice things about this game because of nostolgia people have for it, but by todays standards it is actually pretty bad. Class balance has always been horrible. You have classes like minstrel that can kill an small group by themselves and other classes like the archers that can only kill someone if they are afk. Archers were really fun at release but about 5-6 yrs ago the system was revamped , along with making armor more absorbant and heals cast faster , they went from snipers to scavengers. Minstrels on the other hand have been OP since release, they can charm a pet there own level, they have the only instant stun and it lasts 9 seconds and they wear chain armor. They can melee also but really you dont even have to. They also have aoe mez. If you're just starting out i would recommend minstrel as a first class, it takes very little skill to do well and will help you get used to the game.

Realm balance hasn't really changed at all since release. I logged in all 3 realms at primetime yesterday and checked out Molvik BG. Albion had around 70 players (15+ minstrels lol) Hibernia had around 35 and midgard had 7. There are a few people who still use buffbots but not many because you can just buy full buffs now from an npc. It's amazing it's been like 10 years and they still haven't fixed midgard. there melee classes are strong but stealth , caster , and healers are all inferior to the other realms, especially healers. So i would avoid playing midgard.

As other have said the UI is bad. You cannot scroll your camera in and out with mouse wheel you have to set a button to hold down then set buttons for up / down / in / out , so forget about moving camera in combat. Also no self targeting button for self healing, you have to click on yourself. Tab targeting is very short range so you also have to click enemy targets and thats very hard on there crumby server. Gameplay is extremely twitchy and you have people ghosting and warping constantly. I have a really nice PC and high speed isp so it is not my PC, it's there server. I can play newer games like Rift on high settings with no problem but in DaoC i enter combat and the screen twitches like mad.

Mostly what a new player would hate is the long duration mez and stun locks. New games have really gone away from this. I'd bet that stun locks probably causes more rage quits than anything else in this game. It's just no fun not being able to fight back. A large amount of your rvr time is going to be like this " you are mezzed , you are stunned , you are dead " It can also be the otherway around if your doing the mezzing and stunning but either way it's not very much fun. The game has an ability called purge but you can only use it every 15min and you will be CC'd constantly.

I loved this game at release but of course at that time there wasn't much else out there .Now there are much better games out there. There is a reason why they are down to half a server. image

... After reading all this I can tell you either sucked or have not played anything soon. I am a Runemaster or Hunter normally, I take a high RR minsteral with a red pet any day of the week. They do not seem to be the GODS of PvP you think they are. Mez and Stun.. get Purge 3 and STFU.  You can get that by what RR 2L4? Mezzed you are not dead, you just have to keep your head. Clearly something you can not even do when trying to explain the game. Stun is a bigger problem, mezz is gone soon as damage is done to you, stun stays till pruged or the 4-9 seconds is up. 

As for the UI, its not that bad. Get the custom UI from Bob and you will be just like your precious WOW or any other game out there. Just and FYI DAOC when on full graphics is more comp hard then Rift. Should really look at the graphics before calling them outdated.

• jgagliano09jgagliano09 Member Posts: 10

As a current player who just returned about a month ago, I say PLAY!!! I was a kid when I played original DAoC, and it's so much fun.  I even like the graphics honestly.  The game runs smooth, the social interactions are great, and its fairly simple. Just /who 50 and ask a veteran player a question, I've never been turned down on giving some advice.

Hey the more people that play, the better overall experience for everyone

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Bunch of guys here all talk about how great the PvP is, and how DAoC is the best PvP game to date, yet they don't play it.

They also talk it up for every MMO that announced 3 faction PvP, but will state that DAoC today is nothing like it "used to be", and thus not as good.  However, every game that will be just like it is hyped to high heaven; even though they will be just like DAoC is today, but with updated graphics.

It's your typical themepark MMO with 3 faction persistant pvp battlegrounds. 

Draw conclusions from that.

Originally posted by Uhwop

Bunch of guys here all talk about how great the PvP is, and how DAoC is the best PvP game to date, yet they don't play it.

They also talk it up for every MMO that announced 3 faction PvP, but will state that DAoC today is nothing like it "used to be", and thus not as good.  However, every game that will be just like it is hyped to high heaven; even though they will be just like DAoC is today, but with updated graphics.

It's your typical themepark MMO with 3 faction persistant pvp battlegrounds. 

Draw conclusions from that.

I play, and say its a great game. And I agree its not like it used to be, but never said not as good. Just different. Its like if all bananas were merged with strawberries. You had not eaten one in 5 years... you might want to be warned that they do not taste like they used to, before eatting one.

And draw a conclusion from this, your a person taht does not play the game trying to give advice to others about playing the game.. So what do I think of you at this point?

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

No reason not to try the free trial. I haven't played DAOC in ages. Last time I tried to go back I just couldn't stand how ancient the engine felt, and how sluggish character control is compared to newer MMO's. Still has the best PvP system of any game though IMO.