Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor down to 200k to 300k players Left

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Fennris

To the people calling SWTOR a financial failure/flop:  where are you getting your numbers from?

The game isn't as successful as 1 or 2 other MMOs, yes, and it doesn't do what many players on forums like these seem to "need".  But those factors do not a "flop" make, right?

It's been generally viewed as a poor investment. Is that enough fail for you?

When you take the most expensive MMO 'ever' to make, and roughly break even, that is not a success. On any lvl.

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

TOR...TOR...TOR.... oh! it's that little game I played at the start of the year.

Took about a month to complete (might be why it's turning a little stale now) :P

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    So it broke even in less than a year? Sounds pretty successful to me considering they are still making tons of money per month and will release expansions - swtor haters are so funny.
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Plaidpants
    So it broke even in less than a year? Sounds pretty successful to me considering they are still making tons of money per month and will release expansions - swtor haters are so funny.

How many tons? Tell us how much they are profiting since you know. We are all curious.

• RingbusRingbus Member Posts: 36
    So it broke even in less than a year?

Broke even?

EA will never make back the money they wasted on this epic fiasco. They won't even make the lowest of the low estimates for this monumental disaster of a game.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Oph8
    Originally posted by AzurePrower   Originally posted by rawfox Originally posted by hikaru77 Originally posted by mikahr Originally posted by smh_alot ? It's funny how you distort my words. I don't believe that they never went above the 1m subs which imo is your own wishful thinking ('I want to see the game burn and fail! Fail!!1! HAHAHAHAHAAA' - ehm, sorry, cough >.>), and I stated that I find a 1.4-1.7m sub figure after the first month, based on sales and regular player retention drop, not that strange or illusionary at all, on the contrary.   But hey, whatever indeed >.>
    Why are you trolling? 1. you dont believe their own words about it 2. i said its questionable if they ever broke 1m subs. And yes, game is failure, and its not you that decides what is and what is not a failure, EA could not have been more clear on that matter. So yeah, whatever.
    No, SWTOR is the most successful p2p MMO post WoW, that is a fact, and not a wish or point of view. LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.  
    SWTOR was most successfull in promising me things it could not deliver.   A most successfull marketing made me buy it and the most polished preview videos made me thing the game looks good, even after i played for months. While it may have been "successfull" moneywise, it was also the biggest flop game after wow. It successfull ripped the people off. Never played a game with that extremes in both directions, very good and devasting bad.
      WoW is a flop? If WoW is a flop, then every other MMO game in existence is an even worse of a flop. Personal tastes differing != Game is a flop. Wish people would get out of the mind set that "I don't like a game, therefore said game is a flop."
    SWTOR is a flop. And it's flopping like a fish out of water. When SWTOR can hold it's subs longer than 4 months then we can talk. Until then, EA has a lot of work to do on SWTOR.

WoW on the other hand is dream every developer wants. To achieve that success your going to need better devs than Gabe and Greg at the helm.

What are you even on about. You're ranting like a loose cannon.

But guess I'll humour your rant about SW:TOR being a flop. It's doing badly population wise yes. Yet name some MMOs doing better than SW:TOR that has been released. The only one that comes to my mind is WoW.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

^^^^^

SWTOR has had a 30-day included; a free 30 days and - being generous 4 months at 850k subscribers. EA announced 1.7M and later said that just over half were subscribers, then the 1.7M dropped to 1.3 somethings which could have included returnees on a free month. Say 4 months @ 850k though - or 3.4M sub months.

Lots of and lots of old games have accumulated many, many more sub months than that. EVE, EQ1, EQ2, CoX. As EA themselves said it isn't the sales it is the long term subscribers. 

EA have said that if SWTOR keeps 500k subs then it will cover its running costs; if it keeps 1M then it will "make a profit but nothing to write home about" - the key word being keeps for some time, assumed to be 1 to 2 years.

Based on EA's own numbers, SWTOR was covering its running costs but not on its way to making a profit. And this was when the game was new, supported by articles and TV advertising. Now? After the 6 month subs come up for renewal from August (included 30 days, free 30 days)?  

Not looking good.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

just stop with this game, if you dont like it, play something else.

its a great fun game i think. enough with the doom threads allready :p

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It really depends on what you mean with "successful".

Will it earn in the money EA payed for it? yeah it will.

Will it live up to what EA hoped or guess it would? No way, as late as early april did EA analyst predict 2 million subs at the end of the year.

It is not really making tons of money, it is making some money and Lucas art want half of that. The studio making it have started to fire people a while back so not everything is good.

Is it a failure? Not really but not a success either and surely not what EA hoped for. But not everything is black and white and there is a large gray area for MMOs that neither are Wow nor Tabula Rasa.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Loke666

It really depends on what you mean with "successful".

Will it earn in the money EA payed for it? yeah it will.

Will it live up to what EA hoped or guess it would? No way, as late as early april did EA analyst predict 2 million subs at the end of the year.

It is not really making tons of money, it is making some money and Lucas art want half of that. The studio making it have started to fire people a while back so not everything is good.

Is it a failure? Not really but not a success either and surely not what EA hoped for. But not everything is black and white and there is a large gray area for MMOs that neither are Wow nor Tabula Rasa.

A lot depends on exactly what EA paid for it I have heard variosu numbers including some astronimcal ones from within EA (not EAlouse) suffice to say irrespective of which you believe SWTOR is the most expensive video game in history at anything form 150-510m and then just how much Lucas is taking again some have this as low as 10% others as high as 60%.

I have a feeling its never going to see a profit as long as it remains a sub model I would even wager that ME3 multiplayer is earning a higher monthly revenue for EA/Bioware than SWTOR and its subs are.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Lol some people here are uniformed the answer to how profitable SWTOR is has already been answeerd, it was said a while ago by EA. It's  no longer in the top 5 earning games for EA and was compared to the annual Tiger woods golfing games in terms of profitability, now those games are reasonably profitable but considering the amount of time and money spent to create Tor that is an absolute collosal dissapointment.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Tigre Woods MMORPG. Customize your golf club into a light saber: any color you want... except the elusive white color.

Go through Tiger Wood's amazing story with the heart pounding rollercoaster ups and downs using the dialogue wheel. The 4th pillar will add a dimension never seen before. $14.99 monthly subscription. Endgame consists of “legal issues.”

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If SWTOR really has only 200-300K players left, then EA will shut it down very quickly. They shut down E&B because it wasn't "profitable enough", so they definitely won't run a loss-making game.

If SWTOR has 200-300k active players, I'll eat my own head. They may have that many subscribers, but there's no way in hell they have even close to 300k players.

The next 2 months will be interesting for sure, as the people with two 3-month or one 6-month sub, begin to expire.

• retye50retye50 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by TUX426

If SWTOR really has only 200-300K players left, then EA will shut it down very quickly. They shut down E&B because it wasn't "profitable enough", so they definitely won't run a loss-making game.

If SWTOR has 200-300k active players, I'll eat my own head. They may have that many subscribers, but there's no way in hell they have even close to 300k players.

The next 2 months will be interesting for sure, as the people with two 3-month or one 6-month sub, begin to expire.

I just renewed my subscription.....love the game
  • darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

The game update patches are not really going to help. People if they come back will find there is no community and that people have been sent to a new server they will be faced with a choice of also moving and hold on till that’s done or play a nearly solo game. Doing true mergers would have fixed this, as people would log into a living world rather than a desert. So now, they will have to move any returning players to already over crowed servers to be with the others or to new ones and further destroy the community that had come from. Great job guys way to really look forward on all this…

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by retye50

I'm glad you do! You have every right to enjoy it. But...I think you're in a vast minority.

• War_MachineWar_Machine Member Posts: 22

I'm glad you do! You have every right to enjoy it. But...I think you're in a vast minority.

Yes, the most compelling reason to play a game is because you're in the vast majority.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by darkboaz
     The game update patches are not really going to help. People if they come back will find there is no community and that people have been sent to a new server they will be faced with a choice of also moving and hold on till that’s done or play a nearly solo game. Doing true mergers would have fixed this, as people would log into a living world rather than a desert. So now, they will have to move any returning players to already over crowed servers to be with the others or to new ones and further destroy the community that had come from. Great job guys way to really look forward on all this…

Your post would imply that there were existing server communities to break. With something approaching 10,000 players per server, there was no 'server' community. The other hole there is that the game isn't group oriented. Certainly, there is group content, but on the whole, the game is solo oriented.

However, I do agree, server merges would have been a better first step. Then allow people to transfer servers if they want.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by kirkpama1

Yes, the most compelling reason to play a game is because you're in the vast majority.

LOL...best response i've read in a while.

I resubbed a few days ago. I originally quit 2mths after release.

It's alright. I wanted to finish a story line from one of the classes. Just need something to do before GW2 comes out.

I'm finding the changes since release really good. Too bad 1.3 wasn't there on release date. It would have been helpful.

In all you do you always start with your "best foot forward". EA/Bioware failed to recognize this (see initial to current populations).

• SumterSideSumterSide Member Posts: 31

Quit giving EA money.

-signed Everyone

Originally posted by lizardbones

With something approaching 10,000 players per serve

[citation needed]

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by WhiteCross
    Originally posted by kirkpama1

LOL...best response i've read in a while.

I resubbed a few days ago. I originally quit 2mths after release.

It's alright. I wanted to finish a story line from one of the classes. Just need something to do before GW2 comes out.

I'm finding the changes since release really good. Too bad 1.3 wasn't there on release date. It would have been helpful.

In all you do you always start with your "best foot forward". EA/Bioware failed to recognize this (see initial to current populations).

1.3 is still on test, and all it has is more legacy stuff, and possible lfg,    Not really much to look at.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SumterSide

With something approaching 10,000 players per serve  
    [citation needed]

Some other posts on this site, plus this thread. It's just a guess, hence the "something like". There is no way to get an actual limit on the servers, or even a high or low value. Feel free to make up your own values, they'll be just as good.

** edit **
    It would be more appropriate to say, "More people than a normal human can keep track of, since humans are limited to between 100 and 300 active relationships at a time". This number is called Dunbar's Number. Interestingly, this seems to hold true for Facebook friends, as well as in real life personal relationships. There are just many more people on a modern MMORPG server than any one person can keep track of.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Some other posts on this site, plus this thread. It's just a guess, hence the "something like". There is no way to get an actual limit on the servers, or even a high or low value. Feel free to make up your own values, they'll be just as good.

** edit **
    It would be more appropriate to say, "More people than a normal human can keep track of, since humans are limited to between 100 and 300 active relationships at a time". This number is called Dunbar's Number. Interestingly, this seems to hold true for Facebook friends, as well as in real life personal relationships. There are just many more people on a modern MMORPG server than any one person can keep track of.

According to the guy (Paige) who did the Top 20 server estimates, a very heavy server is around 3000, while a full a above that.

So it would, at the most, be 5000 people per server.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Just wait till Mists of Pandaria and Guild Wars 2 comes out this summer/fall. SWTOR is in trouble.