Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World _ Win 32 Users Beware !

2»

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Are there still people having PC's with 32bit CPU? 

If you have a 64bit CPU, you should upgrade to 64bit OS!

When you bought the computer you should have demanded a 64bit OS in the first place.

When I built my computer I was on a budget and had to stick with 32 bit processors, yes it was that long ago, I have now upgraded to a 64 bit processor but paying bills and eating have become a priority for me, I'm self employed and the UK recession hit me hard, though truth be told all the games I play run fine so I've had no need to upgrade. I can imagine many others in a similar situation.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by fenistil

In times when Vista was new system, there is used to be 'a thing' that if you had BOX version of 32-bit Vista - then by contacting Microsoft you could ask for free (just shipping fee) for Vista 64-bit Disc and install it using key from your 32-bit.

It worked.

With OEM's was bit more harder, since same procedure was up to not MS, but company you bought hardware with OEM windows.  So in example you had Dell Laptop then you had to contact Dell for free Vista 64-bit disc.

Though NOW it might be diffrent. Since there is Win 7 out I am not sure above would work. I would guess they would have to buy Win 7 64 bit instead :/ 

Might be worth a shot.  I got my Vista 64-bit disc for free from Dell, since I did not want to use 32-bit with my Laptop as I have 4 GB of memory + GPU separate GRam.

For the benefit of everyone, no matter what legal way you acquired your 32bit OS (Vista, 7 or soon, 8 )   you can move between 32bit and 64bit versions at no cost  as you are licensed for both versions with your single key - Microsoft even has the ISO images available to download.  If you some how managed to buy a PC with the 32bit version installed on 64bit hardware you can legally move to 64bit for free once you download the ISO, burn it to a disk and install it - you just need your product key off the sticker on the side/underneath of your PC. 

It's also perfectly legal to borrow a 64bit install disk from a friend, as long as you're not also "borrowing" their product key.  When you pay for Windows it's not the installation media you're paying for or the contents of it, but rather the product key.  Microsoft don't really care if you swap Windows disks around, they only care if you don't legally buy or already own a product key.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Dalaimoc

Currently playing Open Beta Weekend in TSW. The game-client is constantly crushing with an error : out of memory.

This is is due me using Win Vista 32-bit client with 4GB of RAM. It is a known issue with the vista and win 7 32-bit client.

So in case you are running 32-bit clients and are not planning on upgrading, you might not want to preorder or buy this game until this issue is fixed.

I'm running a 32 bit system with 3 gig of ram yet the only thing I've had issues with is a slowdown in play in busy areas.

I will be upgrading to a 64 bit system for more ram, I've been meaning to do it for quite sometime, but TSW certainly isn't crashing my PC due to lack of memory.

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Originally posted by SlickShoes Windows 7 is not really NEW anymore, Windows vista was a terrible OS, lucky you if you had no problems but many people had to skip it completely it was THAT bad.
      It was not THAT bad, and people that say it is don't know its design, and or not technicians.
    I work in IT and both places that I have worked in the last 7 years skipped Vista completely because it was THAT bad. 

For the average joe it was fine, but for anyone that needed to use it beyond that it was not great at all.

Superfectch, Is supposed to fill up your ram with programs and frequently used applications for fast cache accesss.

Problem with this is people would run it on 2gbs of ram and go, "where's all my ram gone? and what happened to my performance"

Having tested longhorn, vista was a HUGE step forwards in windows design and having built systems for a company during that time period, most of the above problems were resolved by running system with 4gb of ram.

If your computer "had the balls", vista really shined.

Pretty much what you said :)

Vista and Windows 7 are pretty much the same thing, in the same way that Windows 2000 and XP are pretty much the same thing.  Windows 7 is just a bit more refined over Vista and has a different task bar.  The difference between Vista and 7 is the time period they were released in.  By the time 7 came along, most PC manufactors had upped their min system specs to what Vista now required and with Windows 7 not having any different requirements to Vista, the move to it had the illusion of being a smoother process.  Ultimately, today if you installed Vista onto the same machine as what you have Windows 7 on they'd likely perform identically.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Originally posted by SlickShoes Windows 7 is not really NEW anymore, Windows vista was a terrible OS, lucky you if you had no problems but many people had to skip it completely it was THAT bad.
      It was not THAT bad, and people that say it is don't know its design, and or not technicians.
    I work in IT and both places that I have worked in the last 7 years skipped Vista completely because it was THAT bad. 

For the average joe it was fine, but for anyone that needed to use it beyond that it was not great at all.

Superfectch, Is supposed to fill up your ram with programs and frequently used applications for fast cache accesss.

Problem with this is people would run it on 2gbs of ram and go, "where's all my ram gone? and what happened to my performance"

Having tested longhorn, vista was a HUGE step forwards in windows design and having built systems for a company during that time period, most of the above problems were resolved by running system with 4gb of ram.

If your computer "had the balls", vista really shined.

Pretty much what you said :)

Vista and Windows 7 are pretty much the same thing, in the same way that Windows 2000 and XP are pretty much the same thing.  Windows 7 is just a bit more refined over Vista and has a different task bar.  The difference between Vista and 7 is the time period they were released in.  By the time 7 came along, most PC manufactors had upped their min system specs to what Vista now required and with Windows 7 not having any different requirements to Vista, the move to it had the illusion of being a smoother process.  Ultimately, today if you installed Vista onto the same machine as what you have Windows 7 on they'd likely perform identically.

True.

Not only because PC specs are better.

Vista was very agressively patched with code devfeloped for Win 7. It's diffrent system now after 2 service packs & countless small patches than it was at release.  Conusmers infuriation and bad press made MS back-port Win 7 code to Vista.

Nowadays Vista is basically Win 7 without few things like Trim for SSD's.

There are diffrences in reposniveness between Vista and Win 7, but they are very minimal. Your average user would not even notice.

I know I have Vista 64.

• everlandeverland Member Posts: 71

I have 3 years old pc with 32bit system, changed graphic card two years ago. So I have all the old technologies. Every new game runs with great fps on 90-100% max settings. No overclocking, just solid case with good and cheap cooling. Also very customized and clean windows 7. And I had put it together myself with parts that work wery well together and have no conflicts.

I think you are getting fooled by large companies into buying ridiculously overpowered pc's, that do not even use small percent of their potential when running games.... I really feel good about myself that I have the same experience as people who spend a lot of money on new hardware :]

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Dalaimoc
    Currently playing Open Beta Weekend in TSW. The game-client is constantly crushing with an error : out of memory.This is is due me using Win Vista 32-bit client with 4GB of RAM. It is a known issue with the vista and win 7 32-bit client.So in case you are running 32-bit clients and are not planning on upgrading, you might not want to preorder or buy this game until this issue is fixed.  

Heh. Your problem isn't 32 bits, your problem is Windows Vista. :-)

That said, I'm running XP 32 bit with 4gb of ram and the memory doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Strange that it's an issue for newer OS.

But...why would you be running Windows 7 32 bit anyway? That would have to be the smallest of the possible groups of people running this game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Originally posted by Calerxes

When you bought the computer you should have demanded a 64bit OS in the first place.

When I built my computer I was on a budget and had to stick with 32 bit processors, yes it was that long ago, I have now upgraded to a 64 bit processor but paying bills and eating have become a priority for me, I'm self employed and the UK recession hit me hard, though truth be told all the games I play run fine so I've had no need to upgrade. I can imagine many others in a similar situation.

It was not an insult. But you will have to understand that you have reached the limit and you'll have a hard time playing the latest games from now on.

Originally posted by Calerxes

It was not an insult. But you will have to understand that you have reached the limit and you'll have a hard time playing the latest games from now on.

Not necessarily.  As long as games are still 32bit and he's not running much else while playing the game, a 32bit OS is just fine as the 32bit game can't use more than 2gb of RAM.  This is the same if you're running a 32bit game on 64bit OS as well.