Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAOC 2 in the ES universe?!

Not saying it is. But I'm actually hoping ESO is as close to DAOC RvR as we've ever seen from an MMO. Am I the only one who feels this way? 

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by newbinator

Not saying it is. But I'm actually hoping ESO is as close to DAOC RvR as we've ever seen from an MMO. Am I the only one who feels this way? 

I feel the opposite.  If they want to make DAOC 2 make DAOC 2.  If they want to make Elder Scrolls Online, make it like Elder Scrolls.  It's that simple.

Just because they can't get funding for DAOC 2 doesn't mean they have to shatter one of the greatest fantasy franchises' potential for an MMO by selfishly cannibalizing it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bit of a problem seeing as ea own the rights to daoc now, and all the real talent from daoc are at zenimax, arenanet, pitch black etc.. any daoc 2 built by ea would just ne some lame wow clone.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bit of a problem seeing as ea own the rights to daoc now, and all the real talent from daoc are at zenimax, arenanet, pitch black etc.. any daoc 2 built by ea would just ne some lame wow clone.

Then they just shouldn't make one.  DAOC is still kicking.

Let ESO be TES.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I hope it is something new and refreshing not a 10 year old rehash of a dead RvRvR system...it was good in its hayday but it is time for something new to be developed that is equally engaging or better.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Nope.

I think the same thing.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i dont really think he means DAOC 2 in regards to copy he just wants elder scrolls with DAOC like realm vs realm. Honestly though on the DAOC 2 would you honestly really want EA bioware/mythic making a daoc 2 when they just released that terrible trash wrath of heroes and WAR is on life support?

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Betaguy

I hope it is something new and refreshing not a 10 year old rehash of a dead RvRvR system...it was good in its hayday but it is time for something new to be developed that is equally engaging or better.

While I don't agree that RvR is a "dead system," I do agree that it is time for something better in terms of "team" based pvp.  I will say that DAOC is the shining example of why 3 factions can work better than 2 factions for pvp though.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Entinerint

I feel the opposite.  If they want to make DAOC 2 make DAOC 2.  If they want to make Elder Scrolls Online, make it like Elder Scrolls.  It's that simple.

Just because they can't get funding for DAOC 2 doesn't mean they have to shatter one of the greatest fantasy franchises' potential for an MMO by selfishly cannibalizing it.

@Red, care to explain what you mean?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Hope springs eternal. LOL

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

If there is one thing to be learned from mmorpg.com it's that the MMO community has no idea what they want. If elder scrolls were to be made like Darkfall, people would not be happy. Some people think it's as easy as copy and pasting the single player game and it will magically work as a multiplayer game. I'm glad they made the game they wanted to make and I hope it is extremely good so i can look back at all these crying threads and have a good laugh at the very same people that wouldn't know a good game if it slapped them in the face. Fact of the matter is, the mmo industry has been catering to retards for far too long sticking to SAFE mmo structures because it worked for another game. I'm glad they're doing things different now. I hope they continue to ignore you people with this game.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

DAOC wasnt that popular of a game. Never got over 250k subs. I dont see the point of trying to do a version2.

I definately dont see the point of butchering Elder Scrolls to do it

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by MMOExposed

@Red, care to explain what you mean?

Sure.

1. First and Third person real-time combat (plays exactly like Skyrim with a bit more polish).

2. Races are not locked into factions.

3. You can kill anyone at anytime and loot everything on their body.

4. A crime and punishment system that prevents #3 from becoming an easy life.

5. Factions can be joined by anyone of any race.

6. Player factions are creatable and can war with each other and/or join under the banner of an in-game faction.

7. Imperials are a playable race.

8. Faction war can still exist with the major factions but anyone can be neutral if they want.

9. Voiced characters (apparently we have that).

10. No classes.  Just skills.  (Or at the very least an option to create a custom class)

11. Housing for all players (instanced or not).

12. Quest-givers that don't indicate they are quest-givers, ie: you have to talk to people in order find out if they need help with anything.

13. Skill-based progression (not what is currently in ESO)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

DAOC wasnt that popular of a game. Never got over 250k subs. I dont see the point of trying to do a version2.

The game was huge for the MMO pvp community back in it's time. It was pre-WoW MMO boom and still to this day its has been the best pvp experience to this day for me and a lot of other players. And this is coming from me being a multiple WoW gladiator/Warlord, and high rank in just about every pvp game I've played since. As far as pvp is concerned it was the best. DaoC made pvp engaging for people that dont even like pvp because it made you want to get involved for your realm. This is why 3 factions with completely different zones is a good thing for this game. No real bad guy but you want to be victorious for your faction. 

DaoC is simply outdated and that's why so many daoc fans were screaming for a version 2, the only problem is a version 2 would be butchered by the people that own it now(EA/bioware). The only person that could do a DaoC2 right is Matt firor. The problem is ea owns the rights to daoc and the company he works for has a huge IP in Elder Scrolls. I know it upset some people but I have complete faith that the game will be enjoyable.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

The haters of this game are almost as hysterical as the fanboys of a certain other game. 

ps making an elder scroll mmo that doesn't play like the single player game isn't destroying it.  They're just incorporating the lore they've never said they're trying to make skyrim online. I hope the game is wildly successful just to see how ticked some of you dudes get.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

Speak for yourself; DAOC(pre toa) was the best mmorpg I 've ever played and I've pretty much played all of them that aren't f2p at one point or another. I would love DAOC with elder scroll lore and updated graphics. I would buy it tomorrow. If 250k of us play it regularly they'll make a ton of cash.

Originally posted by KingGator

Speak for yourself; DAOC(pre toa) was the best mmorpg I 've ever played and I've pretty much played all of them that aren't f2p at one point or another. I would love DAOC with elder scroll lore and updated graphics. I would buy it tomorrow. If 250k of us play it regularly they'll make a ton of cash.

He never said it wasn't good, he said it wasn't popular.  It wasn't.

Originally posted by Darrgen

No real bad guy but you want to be victorious for your faction.

There is actually a "real bad guy."  Do you know his name?

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I'm looking forward to it, I have faith in them to bring us a fun game with the team they have assembled. Server vs Server isnt doing it for me in GW2 like the Faction Wars of old DAoC, its just not the same. I like what they have out so far and keep checking out their website to see some new video's or any other new info.

I miss having 3 factions wars. Choosing between good and evil or dark and light or whatever other games label the usual 2 sides is lame.

DAoC came out before MMORPG games were in the main stream. It was nerdy to play them back then, so they didnt have 10 million subs with everyone from Grandmom to 6 year old Billy Bob playing it like we have today. No games were popular back then, not until after vanilla WoW was the genre popular.

Originally posted by Fearum

I'm looking forward to it, I have faith in them to bring us a fun game with the team they have assembled. Server vs Server isnt doing it for me in GW2 like the Faction Wars of old DAoC, its just not the same. I like what they have out so far and keep checking out their website to see some new video's or any other new info.

I miss having 3 factions wars. Choosing between good and evil or dark and light or whatever other games label the usual 2 sides is lame.

DAoC came out before MMORPG games were in the main stream. It was nerdy to play them back then, so they didnt have 10 million subs with everyone from Grandmom to 6 year old Billy Bob playing it like we have today. No games were popular back then, not until after vanilla WoW was the genre popular.

Both Everquest and SWG sported over a million players each.  DAOC was never very popular for its time.  Sorry.

He never said it wasn't good, he said it wasn't popular.  It wasn't.

Originally posted by Darrgen

No real bad guy but you want to be victorious for your faction.

There is actually a "real bad guy."  Do you know his name?

I meant faction wise, in most mmos it's good vs evil, In DaoC it was viking lore, vs celtic lore, vs arthurian lore

Both Everquest and SWG sported over a million players each.  DAOC was never very popular for its time.  Sorry.

SWG was a huge ip and we can compare all day long, if you compare everquest to WoW then you could say the same thing about it. Fact of the matter is, DaoC was a huge success to those who knew about it. Now that WoW has come and gone there are so many more MMO players out there that would play a good pvp game with a good IP. This could be the one, it's just has to be as engaging as DaoC was for people back in it's hay day.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

The haters of this game are almost as hysterical as the fanboys of a certain other game. 

ps making an elder scroll mmo that doesn't play like the single player game isn't destroying it.  They're just incorporating the lore they've never said they're trying to make skyrim online. I hope the game is wildly successful just to see how ticked some of you dudes get.

This, whiners need to get a clue, i wonder if they talked about hiw each elder scrolls game that came out was destroying the franchise because it wasnt exactly the same as before, or how skyrim and oblivion destroyed the franchise because it didnt havce the hideously boring comabt of morrwind.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'm looking forward to it, I have faith in them to bring us a fun game with the team they have assembled. Server vs Server isnt doing it for me in GW2 like the Faction Wars of old DAoC, its just not the same. I like what they have out so far and keep checking out their website to see some new video's or any other new info. I miss having 3 factions wars. Choosing between good and evil or dark and light or whatever other games label the usual 2 sides is lame.     DAoC came out before MMORPG games were in the main stream. It was nerdy to play them back then, so they didnt have 10 million subs with everyone from Grandmom to 6 year old Billy Bob playing it like we have today. No games were popular back then, not until after vanilla WoW was the genre popular.    

Not to derail this thread but I've never seen any info stating either of those two titles breaking the 500K barrier, while I think DAOC may have peaked at 3-400K. Back in day MMO players were very loyal to their games, I knew several folks who played Lineage 1, EQ1 and AC and I couldn't get them to even consider trying DAOC. They really missed out on a great title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Any developer can smack the SW name on any POS and it will sell millions of copies. They never held the subscriber numbers DAoC held because the game was horrible, thats why its not around anymore. Everquest came out 2 years before and most of the players were loyal to it and didn't leave for DAoC. I did because I wanted to play 3 faction PvP and didnt quite love EQ that much after 2 years of playing it.  

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

Then UO was never really popular as well.

Here is a subscription chart: http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

DAoC: 250,000

UO: 250,000

EQ: 500,000

EQ2: 340,000

CoH: 200,000

SWG: 300,000

Rift: peaked at 600,000 after release and dropped to 250,000 after a year

And a quote from wikipedia: "While neither Turbine nor Microsoft have been forthcoming in releasing exact subscription counts, it is believed that Asheron's Call peaked in popularity in early 2002 at about 120,000 accounts and has since dropped to below 10,000."

DAoC surely didn't have the largest community but it did fairly good in my opinion. At least it had as many subscribers as UO, probably more than AC, more than CoH and as many as Rift has atm.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Any developer can smack the SW name on any POS and it will sell millions of copies. They never held the subscriber numbers DAoC held because the game was horrible, thats why its not around anymore. Everquest came out 2 years before and most of the players were loyal to it and didn't leave for DAoC. I did because I wanted to play 3 faction PvP and didnt quite love EQ that much after 2 years of playing it.  

SWG held more subs for a longer period of time than DAOC did

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)