Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone still tempted to buy the lifetime sub?

7star7star Member Posts: 405

I was pretty down on this game because it's Funcom,  but I've seen some of the pvp vids and it looks fun.

My question is  this:

• Knowing Funcom's past track record
  • Knowing the way the market is today with more and more games going f2p sooner or later
  • Knowing Funcom will charge a sub and still run a CS

What would the advantages be for you if you did buy a lifetime sub?

I'm considering a pre-purchase to get into the early access period. If you're not going to buy a lifetime, then what option for  pre-purchase do you think is best and why? If you're not going to pre-purchase, you can answer if you want. But mainly, I'm interested in the people who have bought or who are considering lifetime  subs.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I'm tempted. I bought the cheap one because although I loved the concept I wasn't sure. After 2 months of CB, I can easily see myself playing for a year with just the current content. I'll probably wait until I get more info on new content delivery though just to make EXTRA sure :)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Yea and dont forget about EA now too

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

I already did buy it and seems well worth every penny .

Originally posted by Matticus75

Yea and dont forget about EA now too

Please don't derail this thread. We all know EA has no rights to TSW or control over FC. EA partners just ship boxes.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53

Our only real feedback as consumers and players is our wallets. By buying a lifetime subscription you essentially remove that power. How you feel no longer matters because Funcom already has your money...

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

It will be F2P within 6 months, so no way.

Originally posted by Baddogbill

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ....this is headed f2p

I think mmorpg should implement a system where if you post X amount of time in a game fourm an icon of that games logo should pop up next to your name.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I've always associated lifetime subs with developers who know the game is going to go badly. I've never played any MMO for 2 years and that's about the breakeven.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Game developers that offer a lifetime sub ought to provide buyers with a gameplan on what their future plans for the game will be. Even if they must put the gameplan under NDA. They should also allow refunds in a reasonable window (1 month?). That would probably make it a lot easier to take the plunge.

Originally posted by friednietz

Game developers that offer a lifetime sub ought to provide buyers with a gameplan on what their future plans for the game will be. Even if they must put the gameplan under NDA. They should also allow refunds in a reasonable window (1 month?). That would probably make it a lot easier to take the plunge.

I can get behind this. 

• kamenriderkamenrider Member Posts: 41

I was skeptical because of what I read about the combat and animations.  However, trusting in my own judgement and trying the game for myself, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the combat.  Also, the animations were fine to me and doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment of the game.  I love just about everything this game has to offer and the best thing is that I also love GW2 for different reasons.

I already pre-purchased both games and will be buying the lifetime sub for TSW.  I think you make up the the sub cost in like 13 months.  There aren't any other mmos coming out within the next year that I want to play aside from GW2 and TSW.  They both do enough things different for me to give them a chance and with the sub cost out of the way for both, I can just relax and play both games when I feel like it. 

So yes I'm definately buying the lifetime. 

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97

Bought a lifetime sub, either way if it goes f2p I'll get points for the cash shop like lotro or AoC does, no biggie and im so much more excited for this world than just about any other game.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

There are 3, maybe 4 months of content ready to go at launch, depending obviously on how many hours a week that you play. My assumption is based on 10-15 hours per week on average, which comes from 2 months of play in the CB. For people that enjoy the PvP the time could be extended. If you don't mind grinding dungeons or redoing quests to complete the skill wheel it could also be extended.

There is talk of a raid to be launched in the fall. The developers say they have 7 years of content planned. Other than this, we know very little about how aggressive Funcom is going to be in releasing content. If they update it like, say, Trion updates Rift, then the lifetime sub may be worth it.

The problem is that we don't know. The only thing we have is Funcom's history of content updates for their other MMOs.

I plan on waiting to see how launch goes and to hear more specifics about content cycles, as well as to see the launch version of the cash shop.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I will never buy a lifetime subscription to any game after what happened to Lord Of The Rings Online. Though I think overall it was handled well, I just do not feel comfertable doing it again.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Getting your money's worth is all in the eye of the beholder. I bought life times in the past and never regretted any of them.

Some I took a loss, some I broke even, some still provide be enjoyment. Personally I can spare the money so Ill be getting it.

I cant predict if this game keeps me hooked for an extended period of time but I do think its a mmo Ill pop back into from time to time.

Ill get my money's worth.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Got my lifetime, gonna be awesome.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by friednietz

They prly don't care enough. Ultimately, if I play for 3 years every month, they already lost money on my lifetime sub. I think they just offer the lifetime sub to get some extra money upfront and reward early adopters.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Terronte

I've always associated lifetime subs with developers who know the game is going to go badly. I've never played any MMO for 2 years and that's about the breakeven.

That really sucks, played UO/EQ for like 6-8 years each, I am hoping to find another to play like that.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

lol no.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I was in CB for several months.  I ended up buying the cheapest version of the game but it didn't take long at all for me to decide to pass on either of the more expensive versions.  The game has a lot of really good ideas and is worth a box price purchase even if it ends up being just for a month or two of game play it's not worth a premium price at this point.

• SisterSpiteSisterSpite Member UncommonPosts: 30

No life-time subs for any game. Gaming market changes too fast these days

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

No!, lifetime sub for a game that's not even out yet..... sounds like crazy talk to me.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by 7star

I was pretty down on this game because it's Funcom,  but I've seen some of the pvp vids and it looks fun.

My question is  this:

• Knowing Funcom's past track record
    • Knowing the way the market is today with more and more games going f2p sooner or later
    • Knowing Funcom will charge a sub and still run a CS

What would the advantages be for you if you did buy a lifetime sub?

I'm considering a pre-purchase to get into the early access period. If you're not going to buy a lifetime, then what option for  pre-purchase do you think is best and why? If you're not going to pre-purchase, you can answer if you want. But mainly, I'm interested in the people who have bought or who are considering lifetime  subs.

dun understand why ppl buy lifetime sub. Waste of money. You think u are saving $? Why do u think company offers lifetime sub. Because they are the one getting the bargain.

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Terronte

I've always associated lifetime subs with developers who know the game is going to go badly.

Like Turbine and the Lord of the Rings at launch for example :rollesyes. 

Edit: I'm not trolling, im not saying the game is good bad or whatever, just pointing out swooping generalizations, and I wouldnt get it for any game, my time to boredom is typically 2-6 months. jus' sayin' 

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------