Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over-analyzing has killed the cat

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Seems to me that Over-analyzing that happens with all new games now days is really ruining everyones enjoyment.

I am posting this here because D3 is real good example.

Yes we can all agree on fact that Blizzard are bunch of greedy ashats. For too many reasons to count.

But imagine its 2000. You just opened your copy of Diablo 2.

You didnt think about secret nerfs. Item drops fixed to encourage RMAH. Gold rebalancing to battle gold farmers. Bashioks arrogance. 72 hours SNAFU... etc

You only cared about your experience and your own enjoyment.

If you had fun time in game. You played it, and didnt go digging trough internet for any dirt and scandals.

That was than...

Today it seems its more important if other people are enjoying.

Comments

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Think that could be said of any game really though.  Any game that has released in the last 2-3 years has enough problems that there is tons of posts about bad things about it.  Part of it is the developpers faults, for releasing with such bugs, and greedy measures, but the other is our fault I think.  Too much negativity, and the desire to see games fail, that it is all we care about.  Maybe we are just too picky, or maybe we are just so bored with games in general, that we will find fault with anything.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

That's true. Some people overthink everything. This is really getting on my nerves. E.g., I have qute a few friends who go into the cinema with sky high expectations. Every time they expect the movie to be the best of all times otherwise they are not happy. 

Too many people seem to try so hard to find a "reason" why they should play a game. None of these people think about fun. It's all about balance, fairness between players or some moral principle which they  stick to for no reason but just for the sake of it.

You will see that the people on these forums will always mention RMAH in some way in their hate posts. A lot of these arguments can be as absurd as "Blizzard created the wizard class to force people to use the RMAH". And this kind of statements sound reasonable to those people. 

Originally posted by Shadowlord10

that we will find fault with anything.

This!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Back then these very same companies were actually investing in innovative programming and developing, instead of milking the cash cow through marketing and brand association. We consumers have also become lax when it comes to being squeezed out of every possible penny.  Micro-transactions and the like were the devil back then, but for some reason totally accepted now. Give 'em an inch...

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Back then these very same developers were actually investing in innovative programming and developing, instead of milking the cash cow through marketing and brand association. We consumers have also become lax when it comes to being squeezed out of every possible penny.  Micro-transactions and the like were the devil back then, but for some reason totally accepted now. Give 'em an inch...

Actually, those good developers from Blizzard North have since moved on to other companies and projects.

And it shows. Horribly.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Back then these very same developers were actually investing in innovative programming and developing, instead of milking the cash cow through marketing and brand association. We consumers have also become lax when it comes to being squeezed out of every possible penny.  Micro-transactions and the like were the devil back then, but for some reason totally accepted now. Give 'em an inch...

Actually, those good developers from Blizzard North have since moved on to other companies and projects.

And it shows. Horribly.

Yeah I misspoke,  meant to say company. The soul just isn't the same.

• WildNatureWildNature Member Posts: 51

I agree with what's been posted. Put a fork in it- it's done.

* Good, honorable, gamers will continue to pay the bills so freeloaders can enjoy the game.
    * Sandboxers and Carebears are 2 sides to the same coin.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

The more players a game has the more complainers there will be. If that game is also by one of the major publishers then add in all those that just hate large corporations.

Diablo and SWTOR both fit these.

But do the complainers ruin your enjoyment of a game? If they persuade you not to buy the game then possibly, but otherwise its only if you trust their views rather than your own experience.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I remember when I was younger I'd base my purchasing decisions off of box art and name recognition. Now that we can't trust game franchises/companies to produce quality we have to research our purchases prior to buying. Unfortunately putting more thought and research into purchasing something makes it have a more personal stake.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Seems to me that Over-analyzing that happens with all new games now days is really ruining everyones enjoyment.

Yes we can all agree on fact that Blizzard are bunch of greedy ashats. For too many reasons to count.

You didnt think about secret nerfs. Item drops fixed to encourage RMAH. Gold rebalancing to battle gold farmers. Bashioks arrogance. 72 hours SNAFU... etc

If you had fun time in game. You played it, and didnt go digging trough internet for any dirt and scandals.

That was than...

I disagree.

Diablo 1 for example.  If they close b.net completely right this second, I can still play Diablo 1, or Diablo 2.  I can play them on a boat, or in a plane, or on the bus, or on a train.  I like them, Sam I am.  Diablo 3?  No, the game has a finite life span and can only be played until you lose connection, or until they shut down the network, whichever comes first.  Couple that with RMT auctions, and people will over-analyze everything you do, 24/7, for the rest of your life.  Over-analysis is just one symptom of their business model.  So no,  over-analysis did not kill the cat.  Greed killed the cat!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'm getting pretty sick of seeing the word "greed". If a company or a person  isn't trying to make money, they are doing it wrong.

All you GREEDY emplyees who refuse to work for free or low wages are hypocrits!!

Originally posted by Psychow

I'm getting pretty sick of seeing the word "greed". If a company or a person  isn't trying to make money, they are doing it wrong.

All you GREEDY emplyees who refuse to work for free or low wages are hypocrits!!

There is a difference between making profit and focusing on greed.  Almost every game on the shelf makes a profit.  People generally don't use the word "greed" when describing most games.... just the ones where greed is the main focus.  So, if you are sick of hearing the word, either get them to change the game, or stop talking to people about Diablo 3.

It's like getting deployed to Iraq and saying you're tired of hearing people talk about sand and heat.  If it's there, people will talk about it.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Well, call it "bad" design then: Bliz engineered and designed D3 specifically around the RMAH.

-Always on internet connection requirement (New for D3, does not help gameplay)

-No stat selection, making the game even more gear dependent than D1/D2 (New for D3/ hurts player choice)

-Nerfed/nerfing gear drop rates with continuing patches (making people more dependent on the RMAH)

So, all of those choices all end with the same net result: people are pushed into using the RMAH  (for which Bliz gets paid) or their gameplay suffers, when they are prevented from advancing in the game because their gear is not good enough (and made worse because you can not choose stats to help compensate for this, as mentioned before).

For a "single player capable" title, this is both bad design and a very shady revenue model.

Game design should center on gameplay, not revenue model.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

There is a difference between making profit and focusing on greed.  Almost every game on the shelf makes a profit.  People generally don't use the word "greed" when describing most games.... just the ones where greed is the main focus.  So, if you are sick of hearing the word, either get them to change the game, or stop talking to people about Diablo 3.

It's like getting deployed to Iraq and saying you're tired of hearing people talk about sand and heat.  If it's there, people will talk about it.

So if they didn't charge a transaction fee for the AH, would that make them less greedy and keep people happy?

How about giving the game away for free? I'm sure that'd be less greedy too.

Or maybe gather up all the money the company has accumulated ofver the years and then hand it out to it's playerbase! That'd be less greedy ! Yay! 

So if they didn't charge a transaction fee for the AH, would that make them less greedy and keep people happy?

Or maybe gather up all the money the company has accumulated ofver the years and then hand it out to it's playerbase! That'd be less greedy ! Yay! 

How about they just... use the same game design model as Diablo 1 and Diablo 2?

I don't understand what is wrong with you, that you are not drawing a greed line in your head between the new model and the old one.

I don't understand what is wrong with you, that you are not drawing a greed line in your head between the new model and the old one. 

Why do they have to use the same model? What is wrong withdoing somethign different?

If they used the same model, people will cry "it's the same model as D2! Blizzard fail!"

If they try something new and different we get the complaints we see now. It's not possible to please everyone. 

I don't understand what is wrong with you, that you are not drawing a greed line in your head between the new model and the old one. 

Why do they have to use the same model?

Because it's ethical.  And no, people wouldn't complain in the same numbers.  Sure, some people would complain, but not in the numbsers they are getting now, and they certainly wouldn't be below a 3/10 on Metacritic.  If it ain't broken, why fix it?  Oh yeah, because you are greedy.   If they did it right, you wouldn't hear "greed" every other word when people talk about D3.  The word is used because it is accurate.

Because it's ethical.  And no, people wouldn't complain in the same numbers.  Sure, some people would complain, but not in the numbsers they are getting now, and they certainly wouldn't be below a 3/10 on Metacritic.  If it ain't broken, why fix it?  Oh yeah, because you are greedy.   If they did it right, you wouldn't hear "greed" every other word when people talk about D3.  The word is used because it is accurate.

Metacritic...lol

Eliminate the "reviews" from lauch day and i'm sure the score would be much different.

• lisaroblisarob Member UncommonPosts: 93

they could have done it the right way no AH/RMAH they made there mills and keeped coming out with new content for say $14 every 3 months. The crap in place at the moment is greed.

Metacritic...lol

Eliminate the "reviews" from lauch day and i'm sure the score would be much different.

Launch Day was a long time ago, in terms of reviews... and the game is also getting slammed by users on every site.  BTW, do you know how many negative reviews Diablo 1 got because of connectivity issues on launch day?  How about Diablo 2?  Oh yeah, none.  Why?  Because the company wasn't greedy enough to pull the "connection required"  crap.

Diablo 1 was so good, I sometimes still play it.  Can you say the same for D3 16 years from now?  Even if you think you could, they might just shut down the servers one day and then you have a nice DVD ROM frisbee.  I give the Diablo 3 servers 5 years before they milk out all the profits and the game goes dark forever.  What's the big deal though?  It happens to every MMO...

OH WAIT... This is an action game with 8 hours of gameplay, not an MMO...

Metacritic...lol

Launch Day was a long time ago, in terms of reviews... and the game is also getting slammed by users on every site.  BTW, do you know how many negative reviews Diablo 1 got because of connectivity issues on launch day?  How about Diablo 2?  Oh yeah, none.  Why?  Because the company wasn't greedy enough to pull the "connection required"  crap.

Diablo 1 was so good, I sometimes still play it.  Can you say the same for D3 16 years from now?  Even if you think you could, they might just shut down the servers one day and then you have a nice DVD ROM frisbee.  I give the Diablo 3 servers 5 years before they milk out all the profits and the game goes dark forever.  What's the big deal though?  It happens to every MMO...

OH WAIT... This is an action game with 8 hours of gameplay, not an MMO...

Ok, you win.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: We are all now uninstalling our D3 games. We do not want to giver any more money to the greedy company Blizzard! Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation.

There. Now maybe the madness will end.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'm judging D3 on its own merits.  It comes down to whether or not it's fun and in many cases it simply isn't.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

That was than...

Most of that didn't exist in 2000, when we just opened our copies of D2. That's the problem. People do still care about their own enjoyment, that's why they complain. If it wasn't something they cared about, they wouldn't bother. You've never seen me complain about an FPS game, and you never will, because I don't play them and couldn't possibly care less what happens to it as a genre. Games and franchises I used to love, like Diablo however, completely different story. If people don't tell you you're doing something wrong, you'll never know you're doing something wrong.

You can't be overwhelmed by forum negativity, anger, trolling and flaming if you aren't looking for it. If it bothers you, you avoid the forum. It really is that easy to ignore the negativity. That's why I've been avoiding the GW2 forum more and more, some of the topics there (on both the pro and cons sides of the populace) are rather ridiculous as of late, so I ignore it, and go about my day focusing on my own experiences with the game and less on what everyone else's is. I'm happier for it.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Speak for yourself.  I was pretty active on Usenet, back in the day :P

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by lisarob

they could have done it the right way no AH/RMAH they made there mills and keeped coming out with new content for say $14 every 3 months. The crap in place at the moment is greed.

Uh you know those epic Blizzard cinematics eveyone loves? They cost millions to make. You have no idea of the costs involved in making a Blizzard game. The thousands of highly paid employees who work on them. Sure they could make crappy little indy games. Almost no one would buy them. Blizzard charges $60 for their games, the same as every other big budget game. A console game that gets thrown away in a week costs just as much. The cost to produce console games are falling. The price to produce PC games are rising. The indy studios are getting squeezed out of  the PC business. The big studios are barely breaking even in this economy.  Think about that next time you want to talk about how greedy they are.

That's only half correct. Budgets on games aren't rising purely because of economic issues, they also rise because developers are constantly pushing to spend more on their games and the eye candy within. Even without knowing the exact amount spent on a game like SWTOR, we know it's more by a great margin than most of its competitors...was it worth it? Was the amount borrowed by 38 Studios for what they made/intended to make, worth it? 

It's far better to keep a more realistic view of potential profits and the amount to be spent on making a game, than over-inflate the budget of said game and gouge your players just to break even. The blame is neither purely on players who ask for more, for less, nor is it purely on developers who constantly seek to out-do one another. Neither party really comes out of it unscathed.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Ok guyz! I've uninstalled my game. Now what can I play?

Preferably a free game, developed by a non-profit company that doesn't require me to be on-line and eveyone that plays is honest and I want multi-player, but not on-line and no cheating and it have to be super fun like back in the 90's! Oh and I'm entitled to un-ending content. For free. Forever....and it needs to be top notch AAA type of game. But free. I don't want a dime to go to the greedy non-profit developer!!

What game can I play! Go!