Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW is in a special place. The future is bright.

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by dangle
    Originally posted by Kuppa

I don't tend to like/buy the "it has so much content" arguments. I remember hearing countless of those in TOR and some were even more exagerated then the ones I here. But, the fact is we won't know until the game is out.

From my closed beta experience I'd say there is somewhere between 100 and 200 hours worth of solo content in TSW, not including dungeons or pvp or the other group content. I don't know if that's a huge amount of content but it doesn't seem too bad. Note that we aren't playing most investigation missions in closed beta, I haven't finished the story missions, and my character is too old to be able to play faction missions (characters created before ranking up was implemented are unable to rank up). 

While I definately dont believe you are lying, I remember exactly the same from TOR. "It has maybe 200 hours of content, thats without counting this and that. It would go up to 400!"

I don't know if it was a flat out lie in TOR or people just got bored before doing all the content. What Im tryng to say is I prefer to see how it goes when the game goes live as far as "it has so much content!" arguments.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I'd say the game has the necessary amount of mmorpg content for the first 3-4 months of gameplay before it starts to runs out. All that matters is that FC needs to look at Trion, and release updates quicly. Min/maxers will burn everything in less than 1 month like alway and complain there's nothing to do. Whatever.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I'd say the game has the necessary amount of mmorpg content for the first 3-4 months of gameplay before it starts to runs out. All that matters is that FC needs to look at Trion, and release updates quicly. Min/maxers will burn everything in less than 1 month like alway and complain there's nothing to do. Whatever.

agreed these games need a steady stream of content to keep players coming back.. trion was great at this it's just to bad the overall game(Rift) was to similar to what has come before. But got to hand it to Trion for the amount of stuff added to the game in such a short timeframe

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

To bad people are different, I'd love to see what the op see's. I'm dying trying to find a mmo that I want to play. I don't care who it's by, what the name is, what country made it and all that, that is playground blah blah. This game first has to play smoother and then I get to worry about the next few issues. The best news I personally have for TSW is that all can be addressed with simply more time, so I will come back later to be wow'd by updates! Others have been here before and most never get over the hump.

• doho7744doho7744 Member Posts: 31

SWTOR did have hundreds of hours of content.  If you went exploring, crafting, pvping, etc.  People that blew thru just the main storyline as fast as they could did not understand that.  The content is there if you take the time to enjoy it.  Unfortunately people seem to feel its a race and want to be "first",

The same can be said of TSW.  If you take time to clear each area you will be entertained for a very long time.  If on the other hand you just do the main quest and dabble breifly in faction quests you could knock it all out in a week.  Does that make the devs liars for saying there is hundreds of hours of game play?  No.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by doho7744

SWTOR did have hundreds of hours of content.  If you went exploring, crafting, pvping, etc ad nauseum.  People that blew thru just the main storyline as fast as they could did not understand that.  The content is there if you take the time to enjoy it.  Unfortunately people seem to feel its a race and want to be "first",

The same can be said of TSW.  If you take time to clear each area you will be entertained for a very long time.  If on the other hand you just do the main quest and dabble breifly in faction quests you could knock it all out in a week.  Does that make the devs liars for saying there is hundreds of hours of game play?  No.

Agreed, and it definately does not make the devs liars. It does however create many angry threads of people saying there isnt enough content and where is all the content people talk about at. Not everyone plays the game the same way, to be honest I dont do everything in the game because there are some things I just wont care for.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I think you can blast through TSW in 50-100 hours, skipping content, to get that QL 10 geared character and start complaining about lack of content. The other extreme is to take every single mission in each zone (and not "cheating" too much on the investigation missions) and I am guessing you would get 300 hours of questing. It's kind of hard to tell since the time you use on the investigation missions is so variable.

There is other things to do in TSW than questing though, you have the dungeons in three difficulties, the lairs and lair bosses in each zone, you have region bosses, fight clubs, minigames and the persistant pvp zone. There are some nice looking areas for RP as well, although I would probably have done that in the open world. Lastly you have achievements to get, lore to find and builds to get (by doing all the things above).

To me, it sounds like they have quite a good amount of content at launch. Adding more content as the game progresses should make it really good.

• dangledangle Member Posts: 74

While I definately dont believe you are lying, I remember exactly the same from TOR. "It has maybe 200 hours of content, thats without counting this and that. It would go up to 400!"

I'm not saying anything like that. I'm just making an estimate based on a character I've only ever used for solo content in this beta phase. I.e. no PVP no dungeons no nothing, just solo quests and a little exploration. That character is not out of content after about 120 hours of /played time, it has been to all zones but there are quests left in all of them, it hasn't completed the story quest line, it hasn't done any faction quests. Make of that what you will :)

Obviously if you're a group person you might be able to go through the content faster (but you'd probably do the dungeons), or if you skip all the cut scenes, or if you really only want to PVP, and so on. But at some point that's no longer really the game's fault.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Acvivm

There is one major thing holding it back atm, beyond what has already been said about the animations and bugs etc. the question that most people are asking themselves is...do I want to pay a sub for this? With F2P/B2P games becoming so big I think a lot of people are going to be turned off just because it has a subscription and a cash shop. I like the game and think its pretty good even with the minor problems but I think that is only thing holding it back for many people.

I completly agree with you. I followed this game for quite awhile, then last August they announced their business model.

Purchase the game, pay a subscription fee, plus a cash shop. This seemed so greedy to me I knew right away that I would not be playing this game, no matter how great it was.

Fortunately I am a consumer first and a gamer second.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=20339

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by ShortyBible

There is one major thing holding it back atm, beyond what has already been said about the animations and bugs etc. the question that most people are asking themselves is...do I want to pay a sub for this? With F2P/B2P games becoming so big I think a lot of people are going to be turned off just because it has a subscription and a cash shop. I like the game and think its pretty good even with the minor problems but I think that is only thing holding it back for many people.

I completly agree with you. I followed this game for quite awhile, then last August they announced their business model.

Purchase the game, pay a subscription fee, plus a cash shop. This seemed so greedy to me I knew right away that I would not be playing this game, no matter how great it was.

WoW has done it for a while, so I'm not particularly bothered by it.

.. But in a good way.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Blacknd

WoW had like 3 expansions, 5 years of content, and north of 10 million subs when they did this.  TSW is launching with it.  It's a bold move and one I think is going to bite them in the ass.

Of course I don't think TSW has any intentions of staying a sub game only game and I wouldn't be surprised if within a year it has a F2P option.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DannyGlover I play casually about 10-15 hours a week. I agree with Derpy, it will probably take about 3 to 4 months tops to go through all the content once. A few dungeon runs, pvp and getting lost in the crafting game will add another month. So Im looking at around 5 months before I start repeating content to finish out the ability wheel. That is honestly pretty damn good. By then, I'll be looking forward to doing some of the more interesting quests a second time. I wont even get into forecasting the rate at which funcom will create new content. Im not too worried about longevity though. The setting and social spaces are fantastic imho. I think if the aesthetics appeal to you, it creates an intangible longevity that only comes from personal preference.
    I don't tend to like/buy the "it has so much content" arguments. I remember hearing countless of those in TOR and some were even more exagerated then the ones I here. But, the fact is we won't know until the game is out.

I can definitely agree with you here. I went into TOR thinking I was going to have 6 months worth of content. I lasted a little over 4 and I was stretching it toward the end only playing a few hours a week. However, I will say that I have done more unique, engaging, fun content in my short time in CB than I did in 4 months of TOR.

So when I say this game will last me 5 months before having to repeat content, that is going at a faster pace than I did with TOR and also keeping in mind that Ive redone some zones in TSW already and look forward to doing them again (as opposed to the one and done feeling I had with TOR).

So Im just speaking for myself and what I know from my playstyle in both games. It could be entirely different for you and probably for a lot of people. Just like TOR when people were done in a couple weeks. Same will happen in TSW.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Blacknd

Then I applaud you. Please have fun and enjoy the game.

As I stated above I have a problem with it, so I won't be spending a dime on this game.

A game that I was eagerly anticipating.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I really don't see what is suposed to be the appeal of this game.

I found it rather boring and souless, so much so  I decided to decline Beta 3 invitation and do something else.

It just doesn't feel like a MMORPG, I ended up grinding quests by myself hoping that there was some group content in sight, but with no avail.

I am not interested in PvP, and the PvE part of the game was really shallow in my opinion.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I am glad that others enjoy it, I however will continue to wait for GW2

Originally posted by ste2000

I found it rather boring and souless, so much so  I decided to decline Beta 3 invitation and do something else.

It just doesn't feel like a MMORPG, I ended up grinding quests by myself hoping that there was some group content in sight, but with no avail.

I am not interested in PvP, and the PvE part of the game was really shallow in my opinion.

really? how so?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

really? how so?

Substandard Combat, pointless tedious quest grind, single player game feel.

I am surprised that people find this game fun or exciting.

As a Single Player game is actually not too bad, I like the puzzle aspect of the quests, it feels a bit like Myst.

But as a MMORPG it falls in the same category of SWTOR, there are not enough MMORPG elements to keep people paying for a subscription past the first/second month.

I am bored of developers trying to make RPGs with an online option, that's not what a MMO is all about.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

"you want to go to the Overlook Motel? Right pardner,  get Dunwich road, go through Lovecraft Street and stop before reaching The Innsmouth Academy" Thats  4 references to modern horror literature and cinema in one sentence.

...You have a redneck working in a scrapyard which is so blasé that calls the blue man-eating horrors pouring out of the sea "the smurfs"

...you have a 16 year old girl with magical powers "have you had the dreams yet? Not the ones in which you fly or go naked. The ones in which you watch the earth from space and hear all these awful voices muttering- the voices of the true masters of the universe. Dont worry, if you havent had them yet, you will"

...you have a ole soccer mom with a shotgun burning zombies in her lawnyard

...you have black helicopters, a total weirdos with crackpot conspiracy theories that unfailingly become true. You have magical terrorists that disrupt the world just to see wht happens, overzealous protectors who raze a town to kill a demon and power hungry illuminati, that feel much like Gordon Gekko on magical steroids. Each secondary npc has a story, fully voiced over. Each is an complex individual, with some of the best lines ive ever readen in a game (and that is coming froma a guy that usually never reads the quest text in Wow)

Shallow? How can this be shallow? TSW has many , many defects, but its the best written mmo ever. 

really? how so?

Substandard Combat, pointless tedious quest grind, single player game feel.

I am surprised that people find this game fun or exciting.

As a Single Player game is actually not too bad, I like the puzzle aspect of the quests, it feels a bit like Myst.

But as a MMORPG it falls in the same category of SWTOR, there are not enough MMORPG elements to keep people paying for a subscription past the first/second month.

I am bored of developers trying to make RPGs with an online option, that's not what a MMO is all about.

fair enough, I enjoy the skill system a great deal and yes wish combat played out a bit differen't I enjoy it a great deal more than combat in say SWTOR or Rift. Curious about quest grind? You have a ton of choices in types of quests and granted I haven't finished savage coast I found myself following the story around and only some of the kill x tiered quests I found to be "grindy" or boring but the locations were very interesting and some quests were also a lot of fun that deviate from the normal kill x stuff. I can see how people may get turned off about the srpg aspect but overall the atmosphere the skill system the overall setting I find to be a lot of fun.. can't say how long it will hold my attention but I'm going to guess longer than swtor which only lasted me halfway into month 2.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I don't know I personally found TSW as boring as watching dog shit ferment on the sidewalk, I don't see why people think the game is so good, its just another lame themepark wow-clone at its core with really nothing to offer that you can't get elsewhere for free. The combat was nice at first then it got really old really fast. Its kinda like tera, people praised its combat system but what do you have left past said combat system? pretty much nothing of note, its just another wow-wannabe under the guise of a realtime-ish combat system. The pvp looks ok I guess, but when the rest of the game is as boring as watching stuff ferment, I can't be bothered with the game. I don't feel TSW is worth a purchaise or a sub fee, if it was f2p i'd probally play it, but I highly doubt i'll buy it, then again I am horribly bored and have money I can burn if I want around the time tsw will be released, But even if I do buy it I doubt i'll be playing it for more than a week or 2 after its release, will prob have the acct canceled during the included month.

Tthemepark mmo's just don't hold my interest because they have way to much of a "been there done that" feeling, wow, rift, swtor, and various others that are all bascally the same game in a new skin, GW2 included in this, gw2 doesn't look like anything special from what I seen, but I am thinking of picking it up because its b2p.

Since wow's release mmo's have been declining in quality/fun, they are now pretty much single player rpgs with a irc chat system, and when you hit cap, then you group up to raid for gear that serves no more real purpose for your character at all. MMO's used to be about the journey not the endgame, only mmo to this day with decent endgame has been daoc, raid for gear, then go kill people with it back before u could enchant your own gear. Most themeparks only cater to 1 croud and thats where they fall short, there is no reason why the player can't go from raiding to using said raid earned gear to pvp. All these themeparks seperate the 2 even though the pvpers are a very small minority compared to people who like pve. Be better to allowed pve gear/raid gear to be the best gear for pvp that way anyone can decide to try pvp if they want, without having to grind from nothing for another set of gear.

Oh and don't even get me started on the done to death medieval swords, magic and twinkly elfs type mmo's. TSW at least is a nice change from this with the game being in a modern setting for a change.

Also before you say tsw is doing great, wait like 2 months after release, at release and usually the month after is when the games pop is the highest, if it keeps most of that pop in the 3rd and 4th months, then you have a winner, but honestly looking at tsw, I doubt most sane people will stay past the free month, the game lacks any real replay value since you can max everything on one char, and there really is nothing to do in the game but do quest after quest after quest adinfinite. The pvp seems like it was just sort of tacked on. Which is the case with most themeparks, daoc's pvp was godlike because the game was designed for that from day 1. All the themeparks today aren't setup like that, they pve first and pvp as a afterthought.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I think the game will do OK, there are plenty of people that like it enough for it to last a good few years.

The only things that put me off were the UK pricing of a sub and inclusion of a cash shop, thats just my personal preference I fully understand many people have no issue with it. Also I am looking for an MMO where it feels like I am in a game world, secret world falls in to the same traps as many other recent games where I feel like I am just playing through a conveyor belt of content, zone to zone to zone in a fairly linear fashion, it doesn't feel like a connected world just a series of zones housed beyond loading screens.

I really hope the game does well though because the modern setting is excellent and we need more MMO's coming out that cater to people that are either tired of fantasy or just want something they can relate to a bit more. I still enjoy fantasy games but it's not like there is a shortage of them.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

I think the game will do OK, there are plenty of people that like it enough for it to last a good few years.

The only things that put me off were the UK pricing of a sub and inclusion of a cash shop, thats just my personal preference I fully understand many people have no issue with it. Also I am looking for an MMO where it feels like I am in a game world, secret world falls in to the same traps as many other recent games where I feel like I am just playing through a conveyor belt of content, zone to zone to zone in a fairly linear fashion, it doesn't feel like a connected world just a series of zones housed beyond loading screens.

I really hope the game does well though because the modern setting is excellent and we need more MMO's coming out that cater to people that are either tired of fantasy or just want something they can relate to a bit more. I still enjoy fantasy games but it's not like there is a shortage of them.

really hasn't been a themepark to break this mold and will have to look for more sandboxish games such as the upcoming archage or repopulation whenever they get released...

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

really hasn't been a themepark to break this mold and will have to look for more sandboxish games such as the upcoming archage or repopulation whenever they get released...

I think I can even handle linear content if it was in some sort of game world that felt like a big world or continent/city, my first two MMO's were SWG and Matrix Online and in both of them you could pretty much go where ever you wanted to an extent, even if some of the game world was desolate you could still go there and explore it, I have been looking for that sort of thing ever since.

I think I can even handle linear content if it was in some sort of game world that felt like a big world or continent/city, my first two MMO's were SWG and Matrix Online and in both of them you could pretty much go where ever you wanted to an extent, even if some of the game world was desolate you could still go there and explore it, I have been looking for that sort of thing ever since.

well if that's all you want TERA fits that descripton and so does Rift and so does warcraft for that matter

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Unfortunately its not at all. In a world where all the old sub games are restructuring to be free, and the rest are releasing free, theres just not a place in the market for a subscription anymore. In the end, theres pros and cons of course, but the price model will be this games downfall. It will be F2P in 6 months (or at least talking about it) just like SWTOR learned.

The combat is actually nothing special. The skill wheel is the pro here. But you can boil that down to nothing more than the usual "level grind" of most MMOs. Only real completionists will find alot of content here, otherwise you do enough to unlock the deck you want to use, and then theres no reason to level and do quests anymore.

Speaking of quests, this for me was the best part of the game. Unfortunately the "Myst" type puzzles make this a niche game. Puzzles have always been this way, most people will just wait to read it all in a wiki.

The single player aspect of it is much the same as TORs. Sure you can choose to play with friends, but theres no requirement to do so to move forward in the content, and no real "reward" for doing so. In the end, a box, sub and cash shop for a single player game is just destined to be free sooner rather than later.

In summary, the game has alot going for it, and i applaude the things its trying to bring to the industry and a stale market of "copies" but with the pricing model Funcom has chosen to use here, the game has failed before its launch. There just way too many AAA offerings to warrant a sub/cash shop hybrid model these days, and this game wont fair better than SWTOR and Tera (not comparing the game to these, just the fact the industry no longer supports sub-based models).

EDIT: I think i should have noted, I have been in the full closed beta, not the BWE because I never pre-ordered the game. I have been playing for weeks, over a month straight, not just weekends, and i absolutely love the game. That being said, i still have no desire to pre0order or purchase the game. When it goes F2P i will most likely pick it back up, but as it stands there just no way in hell im supporting a subscription on this.