Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

So what the hell..

TeikkTeikk Bristol, VAPosts: 70Member

I spend all day dling and getting this "game" working i log in and i spend the first fraking hour in a wana be interactive movie........

What the hell happend to games being games and not this cut scene bullshit? anyway what a waste of 6 hours trying to get this thing to work.

Comments

• BlackndBlacknd Wat, NYPosts: 600Member

I lol'd.

But seriously, hit ESC if storyline isn't your thing.

.. But in a good way.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

No way around it.  Exposition.  Once you hit Kingsmouth, you 'might' find it more enjoyable.

• ghost047ghost047 montreal, QCPosts: 603Member Uncommon

It's so painful to watch, your character never talks, what's up with that? I don't feel like I'm part of the story, but just watching it.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

Originally posted by jdnyc

No way around it.  Exposition.  Once you hit Kingsmouth, you 'might' find it more enjoyable.

Really?

I accidently hit Esc during the opening cutscene and skipped all of it. Spawned outside. You can also skip the Tokyo incident by running up the stairs as soon as you gain control. Then you pick your first weapon and bam, off to Kingsmouth.

.. But in a good way.

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Teikk
    I spend all day dling and getting this "game" working i log in and i spend the first fraking hour in a wana be interactive movie........

What the hell happend to games being games and not this cut scene bullshit? anyway what a waste of 6 hours trying to get this thing to work.

You need to work on your patience. Hit escape if you dont want to watch the cut scenes.

Last time I checked, it takes x amount of time to get acquainted with the plot of any work of fiction. no matter what the medium.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member
    Originally posted by Blacknd

Really?

I accidently hit Esc during the opening cutscene and skipped all of it. Spawned outside. You can also skip the Tokyo incident by running up the stairs as soon as you gain control. Then you pick your first weapon and bam, off to Kingsmouth.

My point was he can't go straight to kingsmouth from creating a character.

Originally posted by Blacknd

Really?

My point was he can't go straight to kingsmouth from creating a character.

He shouldn't. 

A brief "here's why you're going to this place" is pretty damn mandatory, but he can skip it. It allows him to get somewhat acquainted with his starter city. Most importantly, it allows him to try the first builders and finishers of each weapon before he chooses it, which is normally done at character creation and without trying anything.

.. But in a good way.

• TeikkTeikk Bristol, VAPosts: 70Member

Sure i could work on my patience but i dont play games for stories if i wanted a story i would read a book. When i play an MMO i want to play the game not watch a a cheesy movie with shitty actors where my "character" stands around like  a drone.

Also as an intro tutorial it sux balls. there is little to any useful information without watching the forementioned cheesy movie and what is passed on its mostly trial and error. I just find it really really sad that a guy that is doing  a MOD for a 3 year old game can do a better job at creating entertainment than a fraking multi million dollar company. It only goes to show how sad the MMO space has become.

Sure i could work on my patience but i dont play games for stories if i wanted a story i would read a book. When i play an MMO i want to play the game not watch a a cheesy movie with shitty actors where my "character" stands around like  a drone.

Also as an intro tutorial it sux balls. there is little to any useful information without watching the forementioned cheesy movie and what is passed on its mostly trial and error. I just find it really really sad that a guy that is doing  a MOD for a 3 year old game can do a better job at creating entertainment than a fraking multi million dollar company. It only goes to show how sad the MMO space has become.

I lol'd again.

RPGs must not be your thing.

Either way, it was nice having you. Bai.

.. But in a good way.

• TeikkTeikk Bristol, VAPosts: 70Member

well i actualy really like RPG games as long as i get to RP in them instead of watch it RP itself.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Southern IllinoisPosts: 1,080Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ghost047

It's so painful to watch, your character never talks, what's up with that? I don't feel like I'm part of the story, but just watching it.

This.

Coming from TOR (don't care, save your breath) I find this very odd. I'm not expecting a Dialogue Wheel but at least have him/her say SOMETHING. I do remember once hearing a NPC commenting on his " quiet type" demeanor but it's still kinda lame.

OT: ITT OP does not like RPG's. Others point this out.

Yeah, cutscenes aren't going anywhere. It's taken hold in every style of game these days, RPGs and MMOs included.

That's for better or worse, but either way, you can skip them.

.. But in a good way.

• ThanesThanes St. Augustine, FLPosts: 182Member

I think they could have done a better job with the opening.   But yeah, don't cry, press escape.

• kaliniskalinis Dexter, MEPosts: 1,428Member

i didn't mind the cutscenes, they had some nice info in them, I am sorry u have no attention span, The game was fun what i got to play of it, that said i don't see the issue since u can escape them. 

Really i don't understand why people have issues in there mmorpgs with story cutscenes, Its an rpg, If u play a single player rpg u get story in them, its about time they came to mmorpgs, They aren't fps games where story isnt a big thing its an rpg for petes sake. 

• TalgenTalgen Reading, PAPosts: 400Member

mmoRPG <- kinda means story is involved.. might wanna find a new genre to get into.

• sapheroithsapheroith SydneyPosts: 116Member

I will recommend you Max Payne 3.

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Sacramento, CAPosts: 154Member

Its a single player mmo much like TOR, wait TOR had endgame

• VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member

Seriously.. but the worst offender yet was Max Payne 3, for me.  I'm so sick of cutscene story games, and yet I look at the trend, and I look at the glowing reviews they get for their terrible movies, and even the best devs are doing it, now.  I have to conclude this isn't going to get better.  This is what gaming is, now :(

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon

I'm saving the cut scenes for launch day. I do actually like the way he doesn't speak though. Especially as a roleplayer I don't like my character saying things that I don't want him to. It removes me from the character and makes me feel more like he's being played for me.

• FraugnutzFraugnutz Colorado Springs, COPosts: 69Member
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I'm saving the cut scenes for launch day. I do actually like the way he doesn't speak though. Especially as a roleplayer I don't like my character saying things that I don't want him to. It removes me from the character and makes me feel more like he's being played for me.

I agree. I dont like my character being forced to make scripted replies in a voice not of my own design, it detracts from the immersiveness. I can form a response of my own , with my imagination, in my own voice. Its more of an RPG and less of a choose your own adventure puppet routine. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

From an actual RP'ing perspective, I like the fact that my character doesnt't talk. What if the character did talk, but you didn't like the voice ? You'd be stuck "playing someone else".

As for cutscenes in MMO's, before TSW the cutscenes in MMO's were mostly for entertainment and totally disposable. But in TSW, the dialogue in the cutscenes often contains clues about the quest goals and puzzles. If you skip the dialogue, you will most likely be spamming General chat with requests for hints and answers.

What's the point of watching a murder mystery movie and immediately skipping to the end to see "what happened" ? You won't get much pleasure from watching the rest of the movie after that. You can find solutions for all the TSW puzzles on the internet, and rush through the game, but you will be bored at the end.

I'd hazard to say that anyone who doesn't enjoy the "story" part of TSW, is not going to enjoy the game very much. Quest dialogue in TSW is often not "optional". The game does NOT lead you exactly to the quest objectives, map markers usually only indicate the general area of the objective. So "following the arrows" without thinking is not the ideal way to do quests, and will result in much frustration.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx North York, ONPosts: 2,360Member Uncommon

The story isnt about you, its about the characters you are encountering. As such your character doesnt need to speak.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• SwobyJSwobyJ Ottawa, ONPosts: 80Member
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

From an actual RP'ing perspective, I like the fact that my character doesnt't talk. What if the character did talk, but you didn't like the voice ? You'd be stuck "playing someone else".

As for cutscenes in MMO's, before TSW the cutscenes in MMO's were mostly for entertainment and totally disposable. But in TSW, the dialogue in the cutscenes often contains clues about the quest goals and puzzles. If you skip the dialogue, you will most likely be spamming General chat with requests for hints and answers.

What's the point of watching a murder mystery movie and immediately skipping to the end to see "what happened" ? You won't get much pleasure from watching the rest of the movie after that. You can find solutions for all the TSW puzzles on the internet, and rush through the game, but you will be bored at the end.

I'd hazard to say that anyone who doesn't enjoy the "story" part of TSW, is not going to enjoy the game very much. Quest dialogue in TSW is often not "optional". The game does NOT lead you exactly to the quest objectives, map markers usually only indicate the general area of the objective. So "following the arrows" without thinking is not the ideal way to do quests, and will result in much frustration.

THIS.

The cutscenes ARE the game. This isn't TOR's overall flavor stuff (aside from companion affection and darkside/lightside). The quests actually indicate or hint what you should be doing. It's a perfect point that those who skip cutscenes are proven to be, over and over, those who are spamming General for the answers!

• SwobyJSwobyJ Ottawa, ONPosts: 80Member
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

The story isnt about you, its about the characters you are encountering. As such your character doesnt need to speak.

This too. In TSW, you RP whatever you are internally, not externally.

The cutscenes are about the character your character decided to gather info from.

The factions are not about your character actively choosing the faction (except somewhat in Templar), but rather the faction recruiting you.

Get used to your character being a tool in the grand scheme of things for a while. All of the Solomon Island chapter of the game is about your initiation, basically.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph SarajevoPosts: 1,070Member Uncommon

you are right,

in an mmo ,spend money & time for cut scenes & voice acting  are weaste of ressources

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW