Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing - Why has this feature gone from a priority to a feature most developers couldnt care

Comments

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    I've never really seen the point of housing, it's just a weird thing to want in a game, unless you're playing the Sims or something. It's like you're a great adventurer fighting dragons and demons, but also like to spend time decorating the bedroom and making the garden look nice. Um.. odd. Even weirder is when I consider that I'm sitting in my house playing a game that involves someone sitting in their house.

Personally, I'd rather be delving dungeons and alternative planes than worrying about what wallpaper I should put up in my living room.
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    I've never really seen the point of housing, it's just a weird thing to want in a game, unless you're playing the Sims or something. It's like you're a great adventurer fighting dragons and demons, but also like to spend time decorating the bedroom and making the garden look nice. Um.. odd. Even weirder is when I consider that I'm sitting in my house playing a game that involves someone sitting in their house.

Personally, I'd rather be delving dungeons and alternative planes than worrying about what wallpaper I should put up in my living room.

A lot of us don't care to be a great adventurer fighting dragons and demons 100% of the time.

Some of us want to be moisture farmers and own a ranch house on our off time... because the more time you spend doing "epic/herioc" crap, the less it will seem as such. Besides, how many times are you going to rehash that one epic dungeon for lootz when you cap? Are you really satisfied with doing that ad infinitum until the next one comes - then doing that one over and over again?

Housing falls under "metagame", and it's hardly something you can burnout on - and in the cases like UO/SWG/Vanguard/EQ2 - it adds a crazy amount of new content for collector types. What does junk loot mean to you? Wanna guess what it meant to a SWG player that has a place to display it?

It's really something for people that have initiative, though. People with no sense of personal direction in a game are never going to see the true value of it.... there's no points to grind or tangible rewards (like shiny shoulderpads). It's simply like a personal zen garden that you update regularly.

~and people don't just "sit" in their house all day, get real.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

You know, the Ancient Samurai used to go fight huge, bloody, epic battles and then when they returned home they would enjoy a Tea Ceremony, Meditation in a Zen garden and writing poetry.

They believed the heart of a warrior was not limited to just fighting.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    ... It's like you're a great adventurer fighting dragons and demons, but also like to spend time decorating the bedroom and making the garden look nice. Um.. odd. ...

Well, the current themeparks make the great adventurer fight 10 rats and collect apples instead. I find that more odd than to decorate the bedroom ...

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• EnlivenEnliven Member Posts: 9

I like to think of the house actually having a pretty decent function in the game, but I come from the days of UO. I see the house in the game as a place to show off your accomplishments to other players, even when you're not online. It also is a great place for the player to meet up with other plays on their own terms. It's the only environment where you can control who enters, leaves, what's locked versus unlocked. This is from the view of UO style housing though, as I haven't personally seen any other game give it more than a half-assed shot.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think the main reason player housing has gone away or poorly executed is it does not fit with the typical mmo design we now see.  The mmo experience today has a beginning and end and anything that is not relevant to that progress is extraneous and thus irrelevant.

A lot of people don't understand player housing and it's inclusion makes no sense what so ever.  They need defined carefully developed and driven content.  Anything open ended is foriegn to their mindset.

I don't think it's really generational, but certain things appeal to certain types of people.  When I was a kid, I was not one of those people saying, "There's nothing for kids to do around here."  I invented activities to keep me occupied and entertained.  Now days everyone has so many forms of entertainment to choose from, so the idea of creating your own entertainment is a foriegn concept to many people.  I think we have become to a great extent passive consumers of others creativity, so when a developer says here's some tools, do with it what you will, a lot of people scratch their heads and say 'huh'?

Also, for a lot of people gaming is ego.  They want to be the best.  They want fame or infamy among their peers.  Decorating your house doesn't really equate with that mindset most of the time.  It's seen more as a side activity which is basically wasted energy toward acheiving superiority.  

Those are some of the reasons I can think of.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Ever played a game that did it correctly? The thing is in my opinion housing is kind of pointless unless there is a partial loot/full loot system. I probably wouldn't of thought housing was so great in UO if there wasn't a chance to lose your stuff. That to me is what made having a house beneficial for one, but it was also great because it served a purpose and wasn't there just cause.

It's also great for guild meetings, grouping up and getting organized among other things like building neighborhoods or guild towns. Good shit. Games don't have "Gate" spells though anymore or ways you can mark locations on a rune or what have you. See, in UO it was great because everyone would meet at their 2 story, their tower, maybe their castle even. Then we would open a "gate" into one of our marked areas (wherever you wanted in the game) and just gate our entire guild in and cause havoc.

UGHHHH!!!! COME BACK GTO MEEEEEE!!!!

ps - people also used their housings for cybering (no joke), cause as a ghost in UO you still see the game and can run wherever..so..at one point you could run into houses as a ghost, which then caused all sorts of exploited, but funny when you ran into a couple cybering in their house.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

Player housing has to be done from the start.  The world has to be designed with player housing in mind.  The game play needs to support player housing.   

A true sandbox game needs to give players reasons to quest not only by "themepark" quest but dynamics that drive a player to do something.   Tools that allow other players to influence each other.  Interdependence that players succeed working together or rely on each other.  Player structures can fit be important part of a gaming world.

I've always believed a sandbox world to reach full potential will need some form of FFA PVP.  But there must be safety and repercussions for killing outside the the game design if it's say guild vs. guild.   Risk vs. Reward game play would be needed as well.  A large open gaming world without fast travel into unknown parts.

For example lets say the best items are player crafted except very rare drops.   Crafters get new recipes for new powerful armor and weapons but to make the items it requires a metal that's found out in the great wild.  You have prospector adventure types who can find these metals.  One guy  who find it set up mine because it's valuable metal because it's rare.   To protect the mine and monpolize the resource the players guild sets up a city around the mine.   Three things a new recipe for crafter, new armor and new resource can create player intrigue and bring value to player structures and use.  

There should still be stuff like raids, the starting area's should be typical MMORPG fair, but to experience more players should venture out and form their own cities to get the best loot and best crafting materials.   I think it's a fair compromise to themepark and Sandbox.  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by GTwander

A lot of us don't care to be a great adventurer fighting dragons and demons 100% of the time.

Some of us want to be moisture farmers and own a ranch house on our off time..

Well, play farmville. No adventure. No dragons. No demons. Lots of farming stuff. Perfect for you.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, play farmville. No adventure. No dragons. No demons. Lots of farming stuff. Perfect for you.

Nah, there was once full featured MMORPGs. I'll take that in new forms. Thanks though.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Or, if the idea of a 'virtual world' doesn't mean as much as the 'game' itself, and all you care about is non-stop erogenous kill grinds and corpse looting, then *you* can go play Duke Nukem Forever.

I hear it has so much testosterone that it'll make your balls drop 4 inches. Perfect for you.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

mebbe they think it takes to much time encode and balance?

or perhaps not enough ppl wants  player owned housing?

i dunno but id like 2 ave a house n chest to dump off some of the junk i usually carry oin me at times :)

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I think it's largely due to the current design theory that caters to casuals. Casual players want to log on, kill a few things, maybe pug a dungeon or do a few BG's then log off.

They have neither the time nor the interest in owning player housing and all that comes with it.

TBH Player housing is something I would say suits a sandbox more than a themepark anyway. And that brings us back to current trends in MMO design, themeparks for casuals with some raids for the more "serious" players. I use the word serious loosely.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Some of us want to be moisture farmers and own a ranch house on our off time... because the more time you spend doing "epic/herioc" crap, the less it will seem as such. Besides, how many times are you going to rehash that one epic dungeon for lootz when you cap? Are you really satisfied with doing that ad infinitum until the next one comes - then doing that one over and over again?

Housing falls under "metagame", and it's hardly something you can burnout on - and in the cases like UO/SWG/Vanguard/EQ2 - it adds a crazy amount of new content for collector types. What does junk loot mean to you? Wanna guess what it meant to a SWG player that has a place to display it?

It's really something for people that have initiative, though. People with no sense of personal direction in a game are never going to see the true value of it.... there's no points to grind or tangible rewards (like shiny shoulderpads). It's simply like a personal zen garden that you update regularly.

There really isn't a lot of you.

a yo ho ho

Originally posted by ignore_me

Nah, there was once full featured MMORPGs. I'll take that in new forms. Thanks though.

Hmm in which MMORPG you can own a FARM and raise crops? (I suppose it will be WOW after MOP).

Or, if the idea of a 'virtual world' doesn't mean as much as the 'game' itself, and all you care about is non-stop erogenous kill grinds and corpse looting, then *you* can go play Duke Nukem Forever.

I hear it has so much testosterone that it'll make your balls drop 4 inches. Perfect for you.

Nah .. there is no progression. Personally, i go with Diablo 3. No virtual world. Just good random levels and co-op non-stop GLORIOUS mowing down of mobs (except the elite/champ packs which are hard in Inferno).

And there are MANY perfect games like that. Even WOW .. you can play it without minding stuff like farming at all. No wonder it is so popular.

Hmm in which MMORPG you can own a FARM and raise crops? (I suppose it will be WOW after MOP).

Probably Mabinogi.

~and Archeage, but that has yet to be seen.

Again, though - this thread is about housing, not farming... and if it's a crack about my mention oif "moisture farming", then you have no idea how the process works.

Originally posted by dorugu

mebbe they think it takes to much time encode and balance?

or perhaps not enough ppl wants  player owned housing?

i dunno but id like 2 ave a house n chest to dump off some of the junk i usually carry oin me at times :)

Probably not enough people. Dev monitors what players demand as features. That is why Blizz made LFR so fast after LFD.

Personallly, i don't care less about player housing. If i want to play house, i go play SIMS.

Originally posted by 3-4thElf

is this a gut feeling, a statement intended to provoke, or do you have some proof beyond the subs for WoW?

is this a gut feeling, a statement intended to provoke, or do you have some proof beyond the subs for WoW?

All these anti- housing Dbags are just here to provoke the rest of us by using their latent machismo to claim we are wearing dresses and playing house all day.

None of them likely played any game between 96' and 04', prior to playing WoW, and choose to be self-rightous about the style of games they walked in on when they first started playing. This whole convo is basically old-timers vs nooblins.

I don't think there is proof either way.

Since no dev put housing at a priority, and that they know their business, i suppose there is really no strong evidence that there is a big market for the housing feature.

All these anti- housing Dbags are just here to provoke the rest of us by using their latent machismo to claim we are wearing dresses and playing house all day.

None of them likely played any game between 96' and 04', prior to playing WoW, and choose to be self-rightous about the style of games they walked in on when they first started playing. This whole convo is basically old-timers vs nooblins.

Not that you are wearing dress .. but that you are making all wrong assumptions.

I started playing pre-cursor of MMOs BEFORE UO .. and found that UO and EQ are bad games, compared to the modern MMOs. Pretty much shattered your illusion that all old timers like the old stuff.

You are basically putting our head in the sand (how quaint) and ignore progress.

I don't think there is proof either way.

Since no dev put housing at a priority, and that they know their business, i suppose there is really no strong evidence that there is a big market for the housing feature.

agree, so the converse could be true as well. If a game came out with great graphics, great play, and had housing, there could potentially be more players who would use it. Especially if it had some purpose other than cosmetics.

Not that you are wearing dress .. but that you are making all wrong assumptions.

I started playing pre-cursor of MMOs BEFORE UO .. and found that UO and EQ are bad games, compared to the modern MMOs. Pretty much shattered your illusion that all old timers like the old stuff.

You are basically putting our head in the sand (how quaint) and ignore progress.

~and I call you a liar,

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well I played UO as well and I think it was a better game than modern mmos.

So? 

You just having an opinion, like me and opinions are like asses everybody have one.

Unless you want to actually talk about it and talk about certain game features instead just flaming and imposing your opinion as 'only truthful'.