Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell it to me and Tell me the truth...

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Ok so,

As some of you may have noticed i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World. And i'm happy with my purchase on that front. No comments or comparisons on this please.

However, it's not a sin to have several games going at once, serving different purposes much the same way you don't have to be locked into a certain type of music gene.

So Guild Wars 2 does peak my interested, but it has certain factors that just annoy the hell out of me. I've mentioned this in other threads there's no need to go over them again.

Getting to the root of the topic....

Even though im not quite fond of this: im looking for a game with a very casual jump in and go mentality as well as i can leave at any time disclaimer. (certain life events have made me persue this)

1.What is the go with gw2 on this front? whats the hard facts on whats on offer here.

I've convinced myself that i want to play a very small character type, being a duel pistol rogue.

1.What are the pros and cons of this?
2.Is it a "gimp" in pvp?
3.Perfectly viable if i only choose to use this weapon set?(pve)
4.Races: can the slyvari get scaled down as small as Asura?(im not sure if ive asked on this form but ive got conflicting responses in the past)

I'm sure ill have other questions, So ill continue update and respond as needed.
And please no sugar coated answers.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• evilandrexevilandrex Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Nitth

Ok so,

As some of you may have noticed i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World. And i'm happy with my purchase on that front. No comments or comparisons on this please.

However, it's not a sin to have several games going at once, serving different purposes much the same way you don't have to be locked into a certain type of music gene.

So Guild Wars 2 does peak my interested, but it has certain factors that just annoy the hell out of me. I've mentioned this in other threads there's no need to go over them again.

Even though im not quite fond of this: im looking for a game with a very casual jump in and go mentality as well as i can leave at any time disclaimer. (certain life events have made me persue this)

1.What is the go with gw2 on this front? whats the hard facts on whats on offer here.

I've convinced myself that i want to play a very small character type, being a duel pistol rogue.

1.What are the pros and cons of this? You will be a Asuran Thief. With Duel Pistols you can dish-out heavy amounts of damage at range (although not quite as strong as a crit-based melee theif). You can also wield another weapon set to your liking to hot-switch to within combat. As a Thief you will be strongest in the DPS role but for control and support you will be limited to debilitating poisons and group invisibility (although both of these are extremely potent if you so choose to focus in them). We do not know much about Asurans right now in terms of PvE racial skills but that is all that is the only thing affected by your race.
    2.Is it a "gimp" in pvp? I am not sure what you mean by this, if you mean if you are capable killing enemies quickly - to an extent. If you mean if you would not be able to participate well in PvP - then no, all classes are very capable in PvP. I guess you can say as an Asuran, you are smaller - but that gives little to no advantage if you're against skillful players.
    3.Perfectly viable if i only choose to use this weapon set?(pve) Perfectly, no, GW2 is based around the weapon swapping system for most of its classes. You loose much versitility and the ability to react against different situations. A nice choice in PvE if you wish to be ranged is a bow. The bow provides nice ranged AoE damage and some mobility.
    4.Races: can the slyvari get scaled down as small as Asura?(im not sure if ive asked on this form but ive got conflicting responses in the past) From the bits of information we know (from shakey convention videos and written description of the races), Sylvari's cannot be scaled down to Asuran level - although they can be smaller than the average human aswell.

I'm sure ill have other questions, So ill continue update and respond as needed.

Response within the quote, do ask if you need any more explanations or further information.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Ok so,

2.Is it a "gimp" in pvp?
    4.Races: can the slyvari get scaled down as small as Asura?(im not sure if ive asked on this form but ive got conflicting responses in the past)

First Part - Jump in and play: GW2 offers some options for this, depending on your personal preferences.

• Hot-join structured PvP: arena PvP that you can jump in and play or leave whenever.  Team size autobalances when people join or leave.  I personally feel this kind of PvP is a good mix of casual, where winning isn't as important as having fun, and competitive, where individual skill can be recognized and you can have fun.  Individual results may differ.  Based on your posting history, you say you don't like this, but I suggest you don't write it off.  It is great fun imho.
    • Dynamic Events: PvE content that is very friendly to the jump in and play mentality. There really isn't any set up time needed to form groups or find other people to play with, just go out and play.  You will find other people to play with.  Beased on your posting history, you seem to indicate that you doubt the casual grouping that happens will result in groups where players res you, or perform as a more structured group would.  This is incorrect, at least for the ressing part.  Ressing other players is something that players don't even really have to think about, they just do it, and it is fun.
    • WvWvW: Go around helping your server in big battles for as long or as short a time as you want.
    Second Part - Small Dual Pistal Thief
    • Player size changes nothing about combat.  Dual pistol is a fairly good weapon set, which has decent damage, as well as access to good control effects and conditions.  Theives have no CDs on their weapon skills, which allows you to daze or blind foes quite often, which is very powerful in both PvP and PvE.  Your damage and mobility will probably be a bit lower than melee weapon sets.
    • No, not gimp in PvP.
    • Yes, but you may decide that you like something else more after trying them out.  I know I did.
    • Probably not, but sylvari are the second smallest race, so you might be able to make yourself as short as a tall asura.  More people will look at sylvari and consider them to be small especially if they are use to seeing norn or charr.  Also, we really won't know for sure until we get to play these 2 races.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

The best way to determine if any game is for you, is to try it for yourself. Hopefully, when the next BWE comes around, there will be beta key give aways, like before the last event. This way you can determine for yourself if the game fits your play style.

I'll tell you one thing, the thief class is not the easiest class to get into Not only are you squshier than other classes but you also  have to watch your resources. The biggest issue, for an unfamiliar player, is the fact that thief abilities have no cooldown, so you can spam them. However, each ability costs a certain amount of innitiative, which is your resource and it regenerates really slow, until you get a bit higher in levels and slot appropriate traits. So if you're not careful and spam all of your abilities, you'll have no innitiative for anything else and will have to wait for it to recharge. During that time you will basically be defenseless.

As far as everything else, you're better off swapping between multiple weapons. For example, the bow is the best weapon that the thief has for general PvE. It has a cripple and a jump back in one ability and most of it's other abilities are AoE. You basically have good CC and AoE in one weapon. Dual pistols, on the other hand, offer the best ranged single target DPS. Dual daggers offer the best melee DPS but being in melee range is a lot more dangerous, so that's your trade off. The other weapon combos are great too but the ones I listed are probably the most common, although I found dagger/pistol to be very effective in PvE.

As far as sylvari goes, it's unknown at this time as neither the sylvari nor the asura were available during the previous BWEs. Some of the devs actually hinted that they will not be available until the game launches. So there's that.

Your best bet, like I said in the beginning, is try to get a key for the next BWE, so that you can try the game out for yourself. Most of the answers you'll get on these forums, including mine, will be biased.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by heartless

The best way to determine if any game is for you, is to try it for yourself. Hopefully, when the next BWE comes around, there will be beta key give aways, like before the last event. This way you can determine for yourself if the game fits your play style.

I'll tell you one thing, the thief class is not the easiest class to get into Not only are you squshier than other classes but you also  have to watch your resources. The biggest issue, for an unfamiliar player, is the fact that thief abilities have no cooldown, so you can spam them. However, each ability costs a certain amount of innitiative, which is your resource and it regenerates really slow, until you get a bit higher in levels and slot appropriate traits. So if you're not careful and spam all of your abilities, you'll have no innitiative for anything else and will have to wait for it to recharge. During that time you will basically be defenseless.

As far as everything else, you're better off swapping between multiple weapons. For example, the bow is the best weapon that the thief has for general PvE. It has a cripple and a jump back in one ability and most of it's other abilities are AoE. You basically have good CC and AoE in one weapon. Dual pistols, on the other hand, offer the best ranged single target DPS. Dual daggers offer the best melee DPS but being in melee range is a lot more dangerous, so that's your trade off. The other weapon combos are great too but the ones I listed are probably the most common, although I found dagger/pistol to be very effective in PvE.

As far as sylvari goes, it's unknown at this time as neither the sylvari nor the asura were available during the previous BWEs. Some of the devs actually hinted that they will not be available until the game launches. So there's that.

Your best bet, like I said in the beginning, is try to get a key for the next BWE, so that you can try the game out for yourself. Most of the answers you'll get on these forums, including mine, will be biased.

I would disagree. If your into tsw the thief will feel familiar. It uses a builder like point system very much like tsw...

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Originally posted by heartless

I would disagree. If your into tsw the thief will feel familiar. It uses a builder like point system very much like tsw...

Not exactly. In GW2, a thief starts out with 12 innitiative (15 with certain traits) and each ability costs a certain amount of innitiative to use. Unlike TSW's resource points, GW2 does not have specific innitiative regeneration attacks. Innitiative regenerates automatically at a set rate. There are some utility skills, like Roll for Innitiative, that do give you a bit of innitiative back but they have a long cooldown so they are not the same as TSW's builder abilities.

sorry, but no it doesn't.

Initiative works like this.  You start out with 12, which you can increase to 15 if you get the trait that allows for this.  Each skill costs you an amount of points between 1 and 5, depending on the skill, except for the first skill on each mainhand weapon which has no cost.  Points are regained at a rate of 1 every 1.3 seconds (unless it has changed since I last checked which is entirely possible).  There are traits and utility skills that you can take that can help refill your initiative faster, but it isn't like the building up of points in TSW.  Most of your points are going to be gained from the natural regeneration over time.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I would answer your question, but I think others have pretty much said it. +1 for the first few repliers, I'm in agreement.

Best of luck on TSW! Interested in it myself but not feeling confident enough to pay a monthly fee.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ok so,

As some of you may have noticed i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World. And i'm happy with my purchase on that front. No comments or comparisons on this please. However, it's not a sin to have several games going at once, serving different purposes much the same way you don't have to be locked into a certain type of music gene.

Well... the most obvious for this would be it doesn't have a sub. That right there makes it very easy to come and go as you please, as it is no cost to you. Also, the game offers many different ways to lvl up. This again makes it very easy to jump into, as you can pretty much login, do what you feel like doing, and still progress as a character. Whether this means crafting, gathering, questing, doing events, exploring, WvW, grinding, w/e you wanna do; they all contribute to the progress of your character.

Furthermore, the content stays relevant, and they have a team dedicated to changing events regularly, so playing it one month, you might experience completely different events from the next.

2.Is it a "gimp" in pvp?

1) Pros:

Hard to spot, and visibility issues. Larger toons have their camera places further away from the ground. Smaller characters are generally better in pvp, though, as they are harder for other people to see.

Cons:

Unrealistic hitbox. Hitboxes in this game don't scale to your character size. Every race has the same hitbox. This means that even though you are short, you can still get hit as if you were human size. This was done for balancing reasons.

2) I'm not sure what you are asking 'is a gimp'? Rogues? Pistols? Being small? Thieves are a very strong class, but are generally best at either 1v1 fights, or spreading conditions over a large area. They are one of the harder classes to play well, though, and they rely on the active dodging more than other classes, because they are a more evasive class and have less in the way of raw dmg absorption skills.

3) Viable yes. However, I think when you play the game you will find that you will want to be using more than 1 weapon set. It adds a lot more versatility to you're character, and also makes combat a lot more fun. Pistols are really good for ranged damage, and have a nice blind utility making it harder for enemies to hit you. However, i found that for certain fights I prefered using sword/ pistol, or dagger / dagger. (This applies to both PvE and PvP. But I think it goes w/ out saying that you really will want the 2nd weaponset for PvP).

4) No. The Sylvari are roughly human size, but seem to be a bit taller (they aren't playable yet). The Asura are a small cave-dwelling race. Kinda like a mix between a Goblin and a Newt. They are not very big at all. I have seen smaller Sylvari, and Humans can also seem fairly small when you're standing next to some of the larger races in the game (Norn / Charr look frikkin huge in comparison).

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by grimm6th

Initiative works like this.  You start out with 12, which you can increase to 15 if you get the trait that allows for this.  Each skill costs you an amount of points between 1 and 5, depending on the skill, except for the first skill on each mainhand weapon which has no cost.  Points are regained at a rate of 1 every 1.3 seconds (unless it has changed since I last checked which is entirely possible).  There are traits and utility skills that you can take that can help refill your initiative faster, but it isn't like the building up of points in TSW.  Most of your points are going to be gained from the natural regeneration over time.

Exactly  your initiative is spent on attacks like tsw builder points but in gw2 the build over time instead of threw other attacks. It's the class that would be most  like how tsw plays no?

I just thought I would touch upon something that you have said before in previous threads about your dislike of the way public questing doesn't hold people accountable for anything.  I shall do this with a story of something that I experienced in game, something that actually happened.

I was playing my elementalist heading towards the next part of my personal story for norn and there aren't many people on the server that I had just switched to (low population server, way less fun than high population server) and I come across a meta group event meant for a group of at least 5 people to finish and I see one other person heading towards it and I decide to follow and see if we can finish it.  With the help of allied NPCs, we manage to get to the boss of this multi-stage event, and begin trying to take it down, but it has this PBAoE stomp move that oneshots all the NPCs helping us and we have to either res them or die, and I go down a few times anyways.  I figure out eventually that I can actually keep that move from hitting by blinding him at the last second and we start to take him down without the NPCs being killed seconds after being ressed. about 5 minutes later, when it is at 80% health, it manages to get out of range with a charge and regens its health because we delayed in hitting it for a few seconds and its health goes back to 100%...so I give up, ditch the person I am with, and do my personal story mission, which was really fun.  

I finished the mission and I am heading back and i see the same guy still fighting the boss, but now there are 4 other people who showed up.  and I decide to run over to help out.  I actually get there just in time to keep the last person from becoming defeated, res him, and start blinding the boss while he goes and resses the others, and we kill the boss in 10 minutes.

So, yeah...players can be jerks and leave in the middle of an event, but most of the time, the event will be able to scale down to account for that.  We were just trying to do something obviously meant for more people.

Even so, failing an event you participated in still rewards you, which means that all you really care about is playing and having fun.

Lastly, even if a player has no reason to stay in a group, ressing still happens.  There is no reason NOT to res others.  You get good XP from it.  Res enough players and you get daily reward XP.  Res tons of players and you will get a title declaring that you ressed lots of people.  A lot of content in the game simply isn't possible if you don't res the people around you.  This mechanic actually helps builds groups in PvE.

Originally posted by grimm6th

Exactly  your initiative is spent on attacks like tsw builder points but in gw2 the build over time instead of threw other attacks. It's the class that would be most  like how tsw plays no?

Actually, I think the point builder system fits how mesmers use their illusions for their shatter skills better than initiative.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So from what i read here i have a choice between a poison pistoleer and a crit pistoleer?
    With minimal support skills execpt the typical rouge types such as invisablity?

I am not sure what you mean by this, if you mean if you are capable killing enemies quickly - to an extent. If you mean if you would not be able to participate well in PvP - then no, all classes are very capable in PvP. I guess you can say as an Asuran, you are smaller - but that gives little to no advantage if you're against skillful players.
    Kinda meant it genearlly. So if you say things are well ballanced then you have answered my question :)

Hot-join structured PvP: arena PvP that you can jump in and play or leave whenever. Team size autobalances when people join or leave. I personally feel this kind of PvP is a good mix of casual, where winning isn't as important as having fun, and competitive, where individual skill can be recognized and you can have fun. Individual results may differ. Based on your posting history, you say you don't like this, but I suggest you don't write it off. It is great fun imho.

Yeah not really a fan of this previously, and also not a big fan of pvp either. However you infomation is a usefull insight, and i thankyou for that.

Dynamic Events: PvE content that is very friendly to the jump in and play mentality. There really isn't any set up time needed to form groups or find other people to play with, just go out and play. You will find other people to play with. Beased on your posting history, you seem to indicate that you doubt the casual grouping that happens will result in groups where players res you, or perform as a more structured group would. This is incorrect, at least for the ressing part. Ressing other players is something that players don't even really have to think about, they just do it, and it is fun.

Ah, i see you have read my posting history. withought derailing to much. I have tsw for structured, group content when i know i will not be interupted. And im hoping that gw2 can fill the task of providing someting i can easy leave from with a moments notice.

Im mostly intersted in doing those big world bosses zergs. Im not so much keen on helping the farmer find a wife style quests, or gather 10 sticks.

The reason i was concerned about the ressing is because i watched the mmmohut.com's "review" on gw2 where neither the presenter, or other surrounding players would help a person for a quite a while which in my mind kinda reinfoced the every man for himself mentality. hell, even omer kinda laughed and said i should of helped him but i couldnt be fucked - but enough on that.

WvWvW: Go around helping your server in big battles for as long or as short a time as you want.
    WvWvW does not interest me in the slightest

Aye, im looking every day for key give aways, because i dont want to break my mentality of "a pre order should only be made with the intent of a purcahse"

I'll tell you one thing, the thief class is not the easiest class to get into Not only are you squshier than other classes but you also have to watch your resources. The biggest issue, for an unfamiliar player, is the fact that thief abilities have no cooldown, so you can spam them. However, each ability costs a certain amount of innitiative, which is your resource and it regenerates really slow, until you get a bit higher in levels and slot appropriate traits. So if you're not careful and spam all of your abilities, you'll have no innitiative for anything else and will have to wait for it to recharge. During that time you will basically be defenseless.

I love the rouge archtype, ive sought them out accross a lot of games. the mechanics seem similar here.

Yeah i kinda get the feeling they are enouraging weapon swiching. But i kinda wana role play my character. I have a mental image of how i want my character to be presented and conduct itself. If dps can take a backseat to rp and still be viable, i would take that option.

Most of the answers you'll get on these forums, including mine, will be biased.
    I was really expecting "everything is sweet, and gw2 will meet all your needs" but thus far it has been fairly comphrensive and well ballanced, and i thank people for that.

I dont beleive i will have much trouble with the concepts.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Well... the most obvious for this would be it doesn't have a sub.
    Yeah, thats one of my primarly motivators.

1) Pros:
    Hard to spot, and visibility issues. Larger toons have their camera places further away from the ground. Smaller characters are generally better in pvp, though, as they are harder for other people to see.
    Cons:
    Unrealistic hitbox. Hitboxes in this game don't scale to your character size. Every race has the same hitbox. This means that even though you are short, you can still get hit as if you were human size. This was done for balancing reasons.
    I probably should of pointed out that i wanted to be small for astetic reasons, and not for funtionally. However, thankyou for bringing the infomation about the hiboxes to my attention. Does that mean i have to compensate for Aoe radius?

Viable yes. However, I think when you play the game you will find that you will want to be using more than 1 weapon set. It adds a lot more versatility to you're character, and also makes combat a lot more fun. Pistols are really good for ranged damage, and have a nice blind utility making it harder for enemies to hit you. However, i found that for certain fights I prefered using sword/ pistol, or dagger / dagger. (This applies to both PvE and PvP. But I think it goes w/ out saying that you really will want the 2nd weaponset for PvP).

I would probably branch out to dual daggers in time, But i just wanted to know if i would have any probelms with content, or character progression block by using dual pistols exclusivly.

So from what i read here i have a choice between a poison pistoleer and a crit pistoleer?
    With minimal support skills execpt the typical rouge types such as invisablity?

Umm, yes and no.  Nothing so limited.  There are many different kinds of conditions, but they come in a few different flavors.  DoT, slow movement, and debuffs are the main types, with several different types of each.

Then there are control effects that force your target's movements or stops their abilties from working.  Stuns, knock downs, flinging your targets into the air...that sort of thing.

Crit builds typically have lots of on hit effects and high burst damage, but this is not the only way to deal high amounts of damage.  There is nothing that says that a crit build cant use lots of conditions or that non crit builds have use lots of conditions.

Support from a thief usually comes in the form of slowing an enemy that is attacking an ally so they can get away, blinding  or dazing them so they can't hit you or your friends, or  granting stealth to you and/or your allies through various means.  One skill grants AoE stealth and grants HoTs.  There are other things that they can do, but they involve traits and specific utility skills that work together to grant various effects.  Everyone can heal themselves, so support can be effectively provided in alternate ways, which gives more classes more options for the support role.

To help give a clearer picture of how this is different, I'll describe some ways to support that theives really don't do much of.  They don't have blocks, counter blows, or reflection of prejectiles, they aren't really good at giving lots of boons to allies, they don't have lots of health and armor that would allow them to interpose themselves into the way of attacks aimed at weakened allies, they can't really help heal others (not that any class can be relied on to heal others), and they have no zone exclusion control effects.  

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

A few things Niith:

Support skills for a thief:

-Pistol offhand 4 produces and AoE blind debuff. You can drop this on your allies in melee to help protect them

-Shortbow 5 is a shadowstep that also blinds enemies within a close range.

-Smoke Screen blocks projectiles and blinds enemies

-Blinding powder blinds enemies and provides an AoE stealth to allies

-Shadow Refuge is an aoe heal/stealth

-Signet of Agility's on-use removes one debuff from all nearby allies

-Ice Drake Venom Chills (slows cooldowns)

Control skills:

-Pistol offhand 5 is a daze (interrupt)

-Sword/Pistol  3 is a stun

-Dagger offhand 4 is a cripple

-Signet of Shadows on-use blinds and immobilizes one target

-Needle Trap immobilizes any enemies that cross it

-Tripwire knocks down enemies that cross it

-Caltrops is an AoE cripple

-Scorpion Wire. Nuff said.

-Devourer Venom immobilizes

-Basilisk venom is a long-term immobilize/stun

The thief is a little weaker on support than say, Guardian..but not by that much. They;re less about heals and more about "the enemy isn't going to hit anyone, ever" when used properly.

I can't say DPS can be 100% ignored for RP but,....when developing my sword Mesmer I got the idea in mind for an "Arcane Trickster"- an Errol Flynn type that swashbuckles around with a sword and pistol and generally messes with people. I was delighted to find it worked so well I hardly ever weapon swap. Only do it when I'm forced into a range situation, which isn't as often as you'd think.

• satire3rdsatire3rd Member Posts: 16

As well as being quite versatile on its own, when participating with other players, thief has a lot of skills available in the Cross-profession combo's. -Stealth, healing, drains, and boons as well as some shield type buffs. You can link with a lot of classes using both your fields and finishers. 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cross-profession_combo

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Again one of these posts?

After release GW2 will sell itself, by word of mouth... It will be the talk of town.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Again one of these posts?

After release GW2 will sell itself, by word of mouth... It will be the talk of town.

Read the OP it's not "one of these posts"

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Another excellent (and often overlooked) Support role for the Thief is "Combat Rezzer" - Their Haste Buffs apply to Revive allowing them to be one of the most efficient Professions for getting people back into the fight (especially when combined with Stealth to get to the downed person and Group Stealth to get them out afterwards)

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World.

<snip>

Observation:  OP sounds like a big fan of disappointment  ....IE: the most common MMORPG'er there is.

• The short answer is:

1) Yes an asure dual pistol rogue works fine.  In fact dual pistols is one of the best theif weapon combos at the moment.  Not sure if sylvari can be made that short you can adjust size, pretty sure they don't go asur a sized though

2) The event and crafting system will let you get in and out just fine.  You should be able to wander around and find all sorts of nifty things to do.  Don't bet on the cows!!! Its a waste of money I'd swear Agatha won by a nose, but that bastard charr wouldn't pay me!

I warn you though, you might think you are gonna do a quick 30 minutes but when its two hours later and you don't realize it, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also I am warning you now Anet seems to have an unhealthy obsession with rabbits and jackalopes.

• Originally posted by Nitth

The reason i was concerned about the ressing is because i watched the mmmohut.com's "review" on gw2 where neither the presenter, or other surrounding players would help a person for a quite a while which in my mind kinda reinfoced the every man for himself mentality. hell, even omer kinda laughed and said i should of helped him but i couldnt be fucked - but enough on that.

This is 100% the reverse of my experience.  Maybe it changes from server to server but on Maguuma the vast majority of people not only jump to rez you but actually will put themselves into danger to try it.

There are of course dicks every where though.  Not gonna get around that.

I can say bare none so far GW2 has truly been the most naturally cooperative MMO I have played.  That might change after Beta though, who knows?

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Did you like wow? If so, this is a decently upgraded version.

Much better combat system

Better graphics all round

Nicely updated systems but sufficiently similar quests

More extensive item shop but no sub

WoW on crack

Edit: only real difference which may turn off wow players is the lack of any mounts and insta-travel

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by iller

Originally posted by Nitth i am a pretty big supporter of the The Secret World. <snip> I've convinced myself that i want to play a very small character type, being a duel pistol rogue.
    Observation:  OP sounds like a big fan of disappointment  ....IE: the most common MMORPG'er there is.

Your observation is wrong. Ive never been "disappointed" in an mmorpg because ive never deluded myself that it was going to be something its not.

I'm a firm believer in "right music for the right mood" not one size fits all.

And to be frank, Im pretty insulted that you can put someone in a box so quickly.

Edit; Please elaborate on how im a "common mmo'r"

Originally posted by mrw0lf
    Did you like wow? If so, this is a decently upgraded version.

Much better combat system

Better graphics all round

Nicely updated systems but sufficiently similar quests

More extensive item shop but no sub

WoW on crack

Edit: only real difference which may turn off wow players is the lack of any mounts and insta-travel

Thankyou for the reply but that doesn't really answer my questions...

The short answer is:
    1) Yes an asure dual pistol rogue works fine. In fact dual pistols is one of the best theif weapon combos at the moment. Not sure if sylvari can be made that short you can adjust size, pretty sure they don't go asur a sized though

2) The event and crafting system will let you get in and out just fine. You should be able to wander around and find all sorts of nifty things to do. Don't bet on the cows!!! Its a waste of money I'd swear Agatha won by a nose, but that bastard charr wouldn't pay me!

I warn you though, you might think you are gonna do a quick 30 minutes but when its two hours later and you don't realize it, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also I am warning you now Anet seems to have an unhealthy obsession with rabbits and jackalopes.

lol

This is 100% the reverse of my experience. Maybe it changes from server to server but on Maguuma the vast majority of people not only jump to rez you but actually will put themselves into danger to try it.

There are of course dicks every where though. Not gonna get around that.

I can say bare none so far GW2 has truly been the most naturally cooperative MMO I have played. That might change after Beta though, who knows?

This is the video i watched, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6zBTOwuSh0

Looking at it now, the res part doesnt look that bad on the whole. But whats presented in this video is basicly how i want to spend my time if chose to purchase.