Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth it?

SakeriSakeri Member Posts: 10

I played D2 a ton back in the day. Moved to WoW, then Aion, Rift, LoL, various fps'ers, and after 6 weeks of TERA am looking for a game that's fun and can hold me over until GW2. I've heard both bad and good about D3, and am just wondering now that it's been out for a while, what the general consensus is. Thanks.

Comments

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Well the game has its problems but for me its worth it , few more patches and most kinks will be worked out . Played diablo 1 and 2 myself to and did love those to , at that time i was alot yonger and did spend way more time on games so cannot say how diablo 3 is for hardcore players. Alot of ppl have problems with the always online thing and tho i understand it i like it myself keeps cheating way better in control ofcours its a downside if you have bad internet etc.

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

not worth it

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    IMO, Not worth the full price. While its not a bad game per se, it deffinitely has nowhere near the replayability of D2, and online-only is a dealbreaker for me.
    Originally posted by krea

Well the game has its problems but for me its worth it , few more patches and most kinks will be worked out . Played diablo 1 and 2 myself to and did love those to , at that time i was alot yonger and did spend way more time on games so cannot say how diablo 3 is for hardcore players. Alot of ppl have problems with the always online thing and tho i understand it i like it myself keeps cheating way better in control ofcours its a downside if you have bad internet etc.

Ugh no, online-only does NOT keep cheaters away any better than offering offline mode. Offline mode had no relevance regarding the online cheaing in D2; the problem was lack of security on Blizzard's old Bnet servers.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I'm afraid this thread is going to turn ugly. I don't think it will be possible to get a consensus here.

What I will say is this: It will be hard to decide from what others say because opinions are extremely polarized. The official forums are exploding with hate.

Most people seem to love the first 100 hours or so. If that's worth $60 to you, then go for it.  At the very least, you will have your own direct experience of the game and you will know what all the arguing is about. I would be interested to check back in after you've played for at least 100 hours to see what you think about the game.

Good luck.

EDIT: There are some good threads over in the official forums, but you will have to look for the good posts and sift through the threads carefully. You can recognize the better posts because they don't use profanity and have minimal spelling and grammar mistakes. They do not insult people with different views, either for or against. They tend to steer clear of words like: whine, whiny, whiner, QQ, etc. If you read some of those, you will have a better idea of the issues involved in this discussion.

I think this game is most enjoyable for people who like the GAH and the RMAH. The loot drops are not satisfying for many people, so at a high level of the game, it is likely that you will need to update your gear using one or both of the AHs. It seems to be part of the game's design. This is a controversial point.  Another point related to that is the value of gold, gold sinks, gold farmers, equipment repair costs, etc. Finally, people complain about the difficulty of the mobs, the affixes, whether the game is being dumbed down, or whether it is "over tuned" to funnel people into the AHs.

That's my take on it. 

I have written some negative posts about D3. I was pretty mad. But after taking some time off to go outside and play, I think I have cooled down  a lot.

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by fundayz
    IMO, Not worth the full price. While its not a bad game per se, it deffinitely has nowhere near the replayability of D2, and online-only is a dealbreaker for me.

What game would be worth to buy full price then? I put in around 100 hours into the game before I got bored, now I only log in once in a while. 100 hours is not bad by any means. Just don't go into the game thinking you'll be occupied for months, this is not a MMO.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Get a trial key and learn first hand. If you plan to play solo, then NOPE not worth it. If playing multi-player, I've had it since release and I'm still not sure it was worth it lol AND I'm playing casually.

There are just so many other games I enjoy more that I could pass up so many titles, I mean, I haven't even played Bioshock yet. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Op, this is probably the last place you should come for a fair and unbiased opinion about a video game, especially one made by Blizzard.  There are so many haters and fanbois that it's nearly impossible to filter through it.

You'd be better off asking a random person off the street. At least they won't burden you with their agenda...

To answer your question, I'd say yes it's worth it. I have about 80 hours in it and am still going strong. 

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Hello pleased to meet you.

Since you have played D2 I'll be brief. Up unto the patch 1.03 I could play the game and stomach the issues. Did not like the whole buy stuff from the Auction house simply because it kind of defeats the purpose of going through the game. I think blizzard kind of ruined the experience by adding that.

However it quickly became worse when again the last patch came out. They pretty much made it so barrels, logs, dead lootable people do not drop anything worth while. Magic Find or Gold Find doesn't work on them either. All this can be explained better in one of the forums over at the blizzard site.

I liked the character classes as I thought what I played was very enjoyable. However when your character gets to 60 you quickly have to switch what motivates you to play. For most and myself included it was the loot. Since these changes have been implemented I could just not do it any longer.

other than that however I think it's a good game. I would say 7/10 even with the hoopla of its initial launch and its current state. With the Real Money Auction House in play I just can't do it any longer.

I would say this...wait for Torch Light 2 or play Path of Exile Beta as it will be Free to play. The only reason I'm not playing that is because I know my characters will get wiped and I hate that.

So if your going to play Diablo 3 I would suggest this.

1. Play at a slow pace.

2. Don't invest any money in the Gold or Real Money auction house as this completely defeats the purpose of playing the game. Also keep in mind they have tweaked the game so that when you hit inferno you pretty much have to buy stuff from there and I can't stomach that. So that being said just play to enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

I can not see myself going back as some people would say, protest with your wallet and all that. I have no anger towards blizzard but I can not respect their current chosen path.

V/R

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

It was worth it for the first month, now with the latest patch they nerfed everything fun, stay away from it.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Some good posts here-

I am of the opinion that it is NOT worth it for the reasons many have stated. RMAH and "only online" play have kept me away  but I played at a buddies house (who regrets ghis purchase) and honestly- It just isnt that fun.

Its... Generic- Just does not feel like Diablo to me =/

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Blizzard messed up, and continue to mess up... Not worth it.

• V1kN1kV1kN1k Member UncommonPosts: 27

Personaly im loving the game, man dont look at this haters and whiners, if they don't like they have no right to keep you from enjoying  this awesome piece of work!!! it worth it :) , try trial , or invitation key! : Good luck

DMC

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

If you are on the fence, I'd stay away for now. At least wait for it to go on sale. I had a ton of fun with the game for the first 30-40 hours I played it, but the repetative content gets to be, well....repetative. If you're just looking for something to keep you entertained for a short while, and the $60 isn't going to break you, may as well....I'm sure you've wasted money on worse things.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I put thousands of hours on D2 over the years.

I put a few weeks on D3 and shelved the PoS.

Hope that helps.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

OP, if you want a trial key just shoot me a PM. I find it to be absolutely fantastic. It's an improvement over D2 in almost every conceivable way, just as D2 was from D1 (both games are still fun though).

Most of the complainers are either bitter D2 vets who don't like change, immature WoW kiddies who want everything handed to them on a silver platter, conspiracy theorists who think the RMAH is a plot to rip off gamers and fund the Reticulan invasion of Earth, or good old fashioned opportunistic trolls who just enjoy complaining.

There are legitimate issues with the game (IE loot tables still need some tightening up), but overall it's shaping up nicely. It certainly can't hurt to try it.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

OP, it's not worth it, imo.

Since you played D2, you're familiar about the random loot system. It's worse in D3, MUCH worse, I'd say. I don't think I found one single item after lvl 20 that could be considered an upgrade compared to what I had, so I ended up buying lots of stuff after wearing the same crap for 7-8 levels. It's possible I was simply unlucky with my loot, but it's a major reason why the game got worse and worse for me, allthough far from the only one. I think I got close to Diablo before giving up, but I just couldn't get myself to continue.

Shelved after 8-10 days, won't touch it again.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

It's not worth it right now; not at all. Wait until patch 1.1, then ask again. Hopefully 1.1 will make the game worthwhile; if not, it could be years before this game gets truly good.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Not at all worth it.  As a huge fan of D2 I can tell you now unless you enjoy games that are entirely based on buying things from an auction house for either in game gold (that eventually gets insanely hard to acquire in abundance) or real money.  Heres an example-  Having trouble on a boss? Go to AH buy items, roll over boss like a freight train. Inferno mode-  Having trouble with everything because its balanced around using the auction house?- Buy items from the RMAH for real money, because all your gold is spent on repair bills.  Oh and all those skills you get to customize with, useless, theres small amounts of viable builds for each class.  Blizzard messed up here, bad. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Play Path of Exile. More like D2 than D3 is. If you need a beta key PM me. Got one left.

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68

D3 is worth the pick up for a standard copy if your a casual gamer, hardcore not so much in my eye... the game for me has left a sour taste in my mouth and due to this ive been unable to keep to any game for more than 24 hours right now...

I think if i took my time over D3 and didnt rush, it might have been a different story...

each to there own, but i will say i will revisit a few months down the line once they have patched it up abit...

just my 2 cents

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Graey

I would say this...wait for Torch Light 2 or play Path of Exile Beta as it will be Free to play. The only reason I'm not playing that is because I know my characters will get wiped and I hate that.

V/R

I would be playing PoE as well if they were not going to be wiping characters.  Diablo 3 with the current patch is just painful to play due to the high costs of repairing your gear, few places to gain gold since they removed gold from vaces, logs etc and nerfed Attack Speed by 50%.

Ratero.

• Right now I would not purchase the game if you are not super stoked and hyped about it. If you are just curious and interested then wait 5 or 6 months and then come back and see if the general consensus is the game has gotten better. If not then wait another 5 or 6 months and look again. It is going to take a long time for the game to recover from its launch, and it just isn't worth spending the money currently if you aren't dying to play.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Not at all worth it.  As a huge fan of D2 I can tell you now unless you enjoy games that are entirely based on buying things from an auction house for either in game gold (that eventually gets insanely hard to acquire in abundance) or real money.  Heres an example-  Having trouble on a boss? Go to AH buy items, roll over boss like a freight train. Inferno mode-  Having trouble with everything because its balanced around using the auction house?- Buy items from the RMAH for real money, because all your gold is spent on repair bills.  Oh and all those skills you get to customize with, useless, theres small amounts of viable builds for each class.  Blizzard messed up here, bad. 

Okay, this needs to stop. You don't need to buy a goddamn thing from the auction house; it's there for CONVENIENCE. The game is not balanced around the auction house, and you can go from Act 1 Normal to Act 4 Inferno without ever even looking at it. Yes, you may need to farm a little bit, but you had to do that in D2 as well.

I'm sorry you ruined your experience by buying things in the AH to faceroll content, but just because you did it doesn't mean it has to be done. This is a complete and utter lie.

Again, YOU NEVER NEED TO EVEN LOOK AT THE AUCTION HOUSE TO PLAY THE GAME.   People who say otherwise quite frankly don't a have a clue as to what they're talking about.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Okay, this needs to stop. You don't need to buy a goddamn thing from the auction house; it's there for CONVENIENCE. The game is not balanced around the auction house, and you can go from Act 1 Normal to Act 4 Inferno without ever even looking at it. Yes, you may need to farm a little bit, but you had to do that in D2 as well.

I'm sorry you ruined your experience by buying things in the AH to faceroll content, but just because you did it doesn't mean it has to be done. This is a complete and utter lie.

Again, YOU NEVER NEED TO EVEN LOOK AT THE AUCTION HOUSE TO PLAY THE GAME.   People who say otherwise quite frankly don't a have a clue as to what they're talking about.

That is entirely false, and you obviously haven't played the game past hell.  The loot drops throughout every difficulty are no where near good enough to keep your character strong enough to progress, especially in late hell/inferno.  Normal is a joke yes maybe you wont need the AH there, but on from there progressing through content is solely dependant on gear.  What upsets me also is that individual players "skill" could only get someone so far, its a gear>skill game that forces you to get said gear from an auction house, not having single player like D2 reinforces my point, in D2 overcoming a challenging boss actually rewarded me with useful gear to keep my character strong, unlike d3. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I've played the hell out of this game. Mostly out of pure stubborness. So, as a solo type player I can tell you this: There are only two times playing where I've had any real excitement.  The first is during the first 10 or so levels because that is the only time where there is a reasonable chance that loot might drop that will be better than what you've got equipped. That moment when you open your inv to see what you've just picked up, hoping its better than what you've got and it is! That is awesome. Sadly it is a moment that becomes less and less frequent as you play due to the random level and stats of drops.

After that, its playing the same game over and over just to get to level cap, then you play it again because you have to in order to get to the hardest difficulty. THEN it become interesting BUT the interestingness will have to wait as you grind for gold and gear so you can play on the hardest difficulty because the enemy dynamics change so you don't just need more of what you had, you have to make changes your strategy so, you need new gear, gear for the hardest level, which either requires grinding for gold or drops. Given the drop dynamics, gold is the way to go, and ain't that a shame?

Worth it? Who knows? Up to you. I can't wait for Torchlight 2