Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel this is futile, but might as well ask...

kidRiotkidRiot Member Posts: 209

So ever since SWG was destroyed by the NGE, i've been MMOless.  It's not that I havent played a MMO since, it's I havent stayed with a MMO since.  Ive been drifting in a sea of mediocrity.

Heres what im looking for.

Im looking for a MMO that I can take my time in, and actually enjoy, much like i did in EQ.  I want to be able to log on, and not feel forced to ONLY do combat (like in WoW and every other MMO since.  Dont even bother saying you can craft in those games cuz crafting is a joke).  Back when I played EQ, it took me damn near forever to level my Rogue.  Main reason?  I took my time, and didnt feel rushed.  I took my time exploring and being part of a community.  The grind wasnt bad as I was always having fun in a group.

Community is what does it for me.  I've never felt that kind of community since EQ.  I want a plethora of options, not just combat, and a shitty crafting system.  I want to be able to just sit there and bs with people in game.

I want a game with staying power.  All these F2P games, in my opinion, do not have staying power.  The whole f2p imo is destroying MMOs, it makes them not exclusive to subscribers anymore, and I do not like that.

As of right now, the only MMOs that seem interesting is EVE, and FFXIV.   I have played EVE, but never stuck with it.  But I love everything about EVE.  The poltical, social, economic, PvP, alliances...So much stuff to do!

As far as FFXIV, all I see are bad reviews.  FFXIV does interest me, as far as the class system goes.  It also looks challenging, and reminds me of EQ 1.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Free Realms, UO and EVE seem to have a lot of what you are looking for.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

What about Vanguard?

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

the consensus seems to be that there is no money to be had in anything but linear, soloable drivel. apparently that is the majority. sure there are PQs here and which way books over there ... different flavors of the same soloable drivel ... and theres always enough token group content so as to allow fanaticalboizandgurlz to flame the minorities ... but thats about it.

they may be right. ive heard it said that it worked before facebook and the like became all the rage .. but nowadays theres just no money in it. apparently.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by spookydom

What about Vanguard?

+1 add that to the list.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by kidRiot

Community is what does it for me.  I've never felt that kind of community since EQ.

Two suggestions.  Ryzom and Istaria.  I think one key is to find a game that is likely to have other players like you.  Both of these are older and cater to pre-WoW era gameplayers.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Im an ex swg vet as well. Pretty much same predicament. I downloaded Fallen Earth last week and have not had so much fun since SWG. Its not swg but similar in alot of ways. Not quite as social but cool community none the less. It does have a f2p option but dont let that scare you. Its a very tame (basically only cosmetic) cash shop. I highly recommend it. I was very pleasantly surprised.
  • orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Apart from the already mentioned Ryzom and Vanguard you may want also to try any of these games:

A Tale in the Desert

Pirates of the Burning Sea

Uncharted Waters Online

All of these feature in depth crafting systems and are not a rush through endgame type of MMO's.  A Tale in the Desert has no actual fighting but does have an intriguing political system in place and some of the best crafting around. The other 2 are both MMO's with a nautical theme with excellent PVP (Pirates of the Burning Sea) and crafting driven economies.

Cheers!

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by spookydom

What about Vanguard?

I loved Vanguard but the bugs got the better of me. I hear it goes free to play this summer so i'm gonna give it a bash and hopefully the major bugs are gone.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

Or just play that which cannot be named...image

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

So you're looking community oriented, feature diverse, crafting rich no-CS p2p game?

Hah good luck :(

Anyway - if you don't like EvE then choice is really small.

There is still UO, but it is 15 year old so imo not viable choice anymore. On the other hand it still get some updates, but I have not idea what kind of game it is atm.

Ryzom propably is good choice. Beware it is inide game, rather low pop and quite old.  Still should be fun I think.

Apart of that?  Since you don't accept f2p for this kind of mmorpg you're looking for and I understand it, cause I am in same boat, then don't start Vanguard as it will go f2p this summer.  UWO is f2p as well. So is PotBS.

FF XIV - you might give it a try. Game is a mess atm, but developer is working hard to fix it. There is total restart of this game with totally new game engine in Q4 2012.  Thing is game itslef is gonna get streamlined ( there will be cross-server LFG automatic tool added for example) and imo it is going into linearity more. 

If you don't mind it - then it is good choice propably.

Apart of that - in in late 2013, early 2014 there will be ArcheAge coming to wester markets. It does have everything you're asking for.

Only unknown thing is business model.  With current market it is chance that it will be freemium or f2p or sub with cash shop :(

I have hope that due to big demand and more 'hardcore' fan audience - publisher may put few separate pure P2P servers even if for slighlty higher sub.

I really there will be pure p2p option to play this game, as CS/ rmt is only thing that can stop me from playing it.

• kidRiotkidRiot Member Posts: 209

It's sad how the MMO market has been saturated with so much shit, and continues to become saturated.  I miss the good, old days where you had only, like 5 MMOs to choose from.  That led to overall larger populations in MMOs...

Anyways, I'm back in EVE (played it on and off, but never got into it)...Just logging in and training skills, and logging off.  I hate the MMO market...

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

Check this out bro: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

It's basically SWG before NGE (well Pre-CU to be exact). Try it out, the game has basically all the content and is fully working. Only thing is right now they are redoing the AI for enemies, so they glitch sometimes, and there is a few missing classes.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--