Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift PVP and a return player

cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Just wanted to let anyone know here that was thinking about trying Rift pvp since conquest releases next week what you are getting yourself into. I disliked this game and cancelled long ago but was having a moment where I wanted to pvp badly after playing GW2 beta so I resubbed and this was my first time pvping in Rift really.

First to say to the fans your not going to like what i have to say. Sorry but coming from DAOC and WAR i was used to seeing a lot of c/c but man....Rift by far is terrible in every single regard to pvp. Its a complete gear grind even with taking the 100% vet rewards for favor and prestiege. I played on Faeblight with a 50 with 4 pieces of tier 1 pvp gear and the matches were completely lop sided. I play a defiant and even with proper teamwork and ninja taking objectives we would still just get farmed by rank 40 tier 3 pvp premades 500 to like 100. The warfronts were completely one sided at least on my server battlegroup.

I played a bard healing and support soul mostly and I would just get pulled into a zerge and farmed or constantly get critted and stunned from a warrior titan strike for 2.5 health when I only had 6k. It was probably the most misrable experience Ive ever experienced in a game for pvp. CC in Rift is a serious joke and you will constantly have to deal with it and when you use your break free skills they will just follow up with another form of cc and its pointless to use.

If you are thinking about trying to get into Rift pvp all I can say is if you do not have a premade or tier 3 gear good luck because your in for one rough ride. I cancelled my sub today after only a week and a half of grinding warfronts and I can honestly say this is the first game ever in my life that actually made me rage and quit. Im usually a laid back older guy but this games pvp system is by far the worst experience in a mmorpg to date. Anyways attack me if you like maybe I did it all wrong but I dont think there is anything but grinding warfronts and being slaughtered anyways with rift. I just wanted others to know like myself who wasted 15 bucks thinking conquest would be fun but not even making it to it next week because the pvp grind is horrible and rank 40 players can 2 and 3 shot you . My two cents.......

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by cronius77

Just wanted to let anyone know here that was thinking about trying Rift pvp since conquest releases next week what you are getting yourself into. I disliked this game and cancelled long ago but was having a moment where I wanted to pvp badly after playing GW2 beta so I resubbed and this was my first time pvping in Rift really.

First to say to the fans your not going to like what i have to say. Sorry but coming from DAOC and WAR i was used to seeing a lot of c/c but man....Rift by far is terrible in every single regard to pvp. Its a complete gear grind even with taking the 100% vet rewards for favor and prestiege. I played on Faeblight with a 50 with 4 pieces of tier 1 pvp gear and the matches were completely lop sided. I play a defiant and even with proper teamwork and ninja taking objectives we would still just get farmed by rank 40 tier 3 pvp premades 500 to like 100. The warfronts were completely one sided at least on my server battlegroup.

I played a bard healing and support soul mostly and I would just get pulled into a zerge and farmed or constantly get critted and stunned from a warrior titan strike for 2.5 health when I only had 6k. It was probably the most misrable experience Ive ever experienced in a game for pvp. CC in Rift is a serious joke and you will constantly have to deal with it and when you use your break free skills they will just follow up with another form of cc and its pointless to use.

If you are thinking about trying to get into Rift pvp all I can say is if you do not have a premade or tier 3 gear good luck because your in for one rough ride. I cancelled my sub today after only a week and a half of grinding warfronts and I can honestly say this is the first game ever in my life that actually made me rage and quit. Im usually a laid back older guy but this games pvp system is by far the worst experience in a mmorpg to date. Anyways attack me if you like maybe I did it all wrong but I dont think there is anything but grinding warfronts and being slaughtered anyways with rift. I just wanted others to know like myself who wasted 15 bucks thinking conquest would be fun but not even making it to it next week because the pvp grind is horrible and rank 40 players can 2 and 3 shot you . My two cents.......

Conquest isnt going to appeal to DAoC fans anyway.  It lacks everything that made DAoC special.  It will appeal to the curious that want a new take on a battleground/warfront

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

yeah but I had some buddies talking about how great rift is now and talked me into resubbing after a long break and going for the pvp to gear up for the patch next week. I have honestly never ever in my life raged on a game and all the c/c stuns 2.5k crits etc I had to actually get up away from my pc and leave the house. I came back and instantly cancelled , I just do not see how anyone at all can enjoy that sort of pvp but hey to each their own. I just wanted to warn others of my experience before they just went diving in from pve to pvp and thinking it was going to be a faceroll or even on EVEN playing terms. People on their own boards are complaining about the gaps and stuff and of course majority of the rabid fans are your just a noob or grind and earn it like the rest etc. Man honestly I can say people bitch about GW2 fans but Rift fans are like on drugs or something because they attack anyone that complains at all and are hardcore .

• Originally posted by cronius77  
    I played on Faeblight with a 50 with 4 pieces of tier 1 pvp gear and the matches were completely lop sided. I play a defiant and even with proper teamwork and ninja taking objectives we would still just get farmed by rank 40 tier 3 pvp premades 500 to like 100. The warfronts were completely one sided at least on my server battlegroup.

first off, not all warfronts are premades. i love how everyone who gets spanked in pvp say they go up against premades. lol. the game does a really good job of putting premades up against each other anyways, and there's nothing stopping you from getting your own premade formed up.

second of all, your fresh 50 with 4 pieces of tier 1 PvP gear aren't going to do a whole lot. you need full set which is really easy to get. 4 pieces isn't giving you a whole lot of valor. after half a day of playing you'd have all the gear you need and would have about the same valor as the rank 40s. all pvp gear has the same valor on it. also use some consumables to help your stats. don't go in and half ass it. you screw your team as well as yourself.

third. if you're a brand new pvp player the game isn't going to put you up against rank 40s. it places you against players in your rank bracket. the game also has bostering if you do get placed higher. what that does is boost all your stats so you can hang.

forth is i'm guessing you went in with some sorry PvE spec thinking it would work fine. that crap doesn't fly in Rift warfronts. build a spec, learn it, get quick with your skills, and keep some distance. sabs right now spank in PvP. learn some real builds and the game is more fun. no one would have fun if they got spanked all the time, but it's even worse if you didn't understand what you were doing wrong.

so again, you aren't always going against rank 40 premades, get a full set of starter pvp gear, use consumables, it's more even then you think, get a proper spec and try a few specs to find one that fits for you.

thank you for the helpful advice about it but i been playing rift off and on since beta 1 when it was just defiant area avail to level 20. Even with 2000 valor bonus (40%) i get yanked into a crowd by spotters order on a warrior and die. Dunno what your talking about with brackets as ive played plenty of warfronts and just because trion says it doesnt mean its truth. I know how to inspect others on my team and as a merc and i can see the full set of gear so bolster no. I was running a full sab build and doing like 150 damage a tick to guys with 8 and 9k health clerics mind you not warriors and they were hitting me straight up crits over 1.8k each . Im in a level 17 guild also and we did que as premades sometimes and it was still a  spanking even using tactics. I remember one warfront  two players ported up to us and kicked the crap out of 8 players with two healing so Im sorry thats not for me its not pvp its just gear and no skill. Coming from DAOC and WAR i expected a grind for gear but I took 2 hour prest and favor 100% pots and it still took me a week to get 4 pieces of gear.

Also the ability to yell at the oposite team and brag about spanking the other team just shows how moronic trion really is especially Adam Gersowitz who by the way was FIRED from mythic for creating the same garbage in WAR with bright wizards. You can talk Rift up like its such a wonderful game and fun but to most players that Ive run across in other games its, wow Rift is great and shiny, then a month later they are playing something else because at its core it sucks. Im sorry Im not interested in gear grinding for pvp just so I do not get stomped in the ground after a month of grinding. OP sab build? Ive run into many sabs in pvp in rift and Ive yet to run into any OP sabs . All i see is flavor of the month titan strike warriors with pocket healers or OP clerics with both healing absorbs and two handed damage in the 1500s . No thanks its just not for me Also its pretty sad that you hit your breakfree from c/c only to a second later be hit with another c/c.  Anyways thanks for the advice but its already uninstalled and cancelled and I have no intention of even trying to get back into it.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I haven't played Rift in a long long time but back when I played there were also whiners complaining about getting spanked by vets in warfronts.  Funny though that when I was fresh into warfronts I would very often hold my own, so I never understood what the whiners were complaining about.  You gotta play smart and sometimes teams are just better (skill and gear) it happens.  And a premade will spank randoms no matter what the gear situation.

But using gear as an exuse for getting pwned over a several day period?  LOL.  I never had that problem but mabye I'm just pro though LOL.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

nope its not a gear excuse all the time man its just a crappy pvp system in place period , you can go look at the offical forums and see people complaining about the same thing. Tactics only go so far against geared up players whom run in premades daily and pvp. Ive played many games and I can say that even with the gear gap in WAR and the premade arguments there , it at least had ways to make a difference. You go in at least as a rogue to level 50 pvp with 5k health and you gotta get to rank 12 prest. before you can even get your first pvp weapon with real stats. maybe im just on a terrible server cluster for pvp but we won one match all night last night out of about 30 port scion black garden and library. Even one button spam macro players in good gear can win in rift and you can see it all day in the combat logs if you read them and know they are just using macro's . Sorry it does take absolutely no skill in rift I cant understand why people can rationalize that its not gear when its so blantantly obvious it is just by health being about 4 to 5k higher in rank 3 gear and stats.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162

I played on Faeblight back then too and quit after about 4 months. We started playing again about 2 weeks ago and I know how you feel. I had 4 or 5 pieces of pvp armor coming back and my Cleric gets 2 or 3 shotted constantly. I managed to get a few more pieces since then but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The only spec I can really stay alive in is my tank spec and that doesn't do shit for damage so I can run around with people beating on me and live but can't do a damn thing to them. The rest of my non-valor gear is good stuff too but it makes no difference. I don't have the patience to get farmed for hours and days to get better gear so I can stay alive. It's not that I mind grinding gear, it's that I can only tolerate getting facerolled so many times a day before saying F this...

It looks like they rolled back a lot of nerfs to warriors that went in back when I was playing and now they are back to doing extreme amounts of damage again.

Originally posted by tankage

I played on Faeblight back then too and quit after about 4 months. We started playing again about 2 weeks ago and I know how you feel. I had 4 or 5 pieces of pvp armor coming back and my Cleric gets 2 or 3 shotted constantly. I managed to get a few more pieces since then but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The only spec I can really stay alive in is my tank spec and that doesn't do shit for damage so I can run around with people beating on me and live but can't do a damn thing to them. The rest of my non-valor gear is good stuff too but it makes no difference. I don't have the patience to get farmed for hours and days to get better gear so I can stay alive. It's not that I mind grinding gear, it's that I can only tolerate getting facerolled so many times a day before saying F this...

It looks like they rolled back a lot of nerfs to warriors that went in back when I was playing and now they are back to doing extreme amounts of damage again.

amen ! thank you for someone else noticing this shit. What it is and i totally forgot about it is vengeance and the planar attunement garbage they added last patch. You can buff up your vengeance now high as hell and every 1 pt equals 1dps buff and 2 dps healing and spell damage. Yeah I REALLY wanted to get into this with conquest coming next week but I cannot even stand the games current pvp system at all as its so top heavy and grind heavy .

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

The pvp grind in Rift is really rough, but what does that have to do with the new conquest system?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Tried it again today after not playing since a couple months after launch. PvP is complete garbage. Character movement is slow, CC stuns unbelievable, time to kill idiotic. Terrible.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

The pvp grind in Rift is really rough, but what does that have to do with the new conquest system?

well i jumped into rift on friends wish to because of conquest and if conquest is just three different sets of players in a big warfront nothing is going to change at all new players will still be dominated and you will still be just as frustrated trying to get geared up . I couldnt even make it to conquest release as the gear grind and crazy stats on tier 3 gear drove me away as i know its just more of the same in conquest.

If trion was smart they would just get rid of the crazy scale bonuses and keep vengence and valor low on all gear so people that pve raid cant stomp pvp players just because they can raid and pvp cannot stomp pve players wanting to enjoy pvp. I seriously do not understand at all why rift and wow do this crap they are the only ones , well i know as rift copied everything from wow. WAR PQ sets per tier were equal to armor sets in pvp bonuses and DAOC didnt even have pvp armor. Plus the c/c is WAY over the top in Rift even compared to wow.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Lol, the so called gear grind, for a casual player like me, isn t even hard to obtain. The CC is nothing, you have many ,many ways to break it. The conquest is quite a bit different then the existing warfronts, and alot more fun IMO. As far as getting steamrolled, ya it happens, but it s alot less then it used to be, with the changes they ve added.

Rift has decent pvp, is it great not at all, but it can be fun. I play Rift mostly for pve, with some pvp thrown in there. This is why I m getting GW2. I find GW2 pve average, but pvp amazingly fun.

As I said, to get geared in Rift is stupidly easy now, and really takes maybe a month per set, for a casual.

• I was content with Rift pvp. until I hit the 30s bracket and now I'm waiting 45 mins to an hour for a warfront to pop. Hell, i leveled through warfronts it was my primary exp source, but it was taken away.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

well i jumped into rift on friends wish to because of conquest and if conquest is just three different sets of players in a big warfront nothing is going to change at all new players will still be dominated and you will still be just as frustrated trying to get geared up . I couldnt even make it to conquest release as the gear grind and crazy stats on tier 3 gear drove me away as i know its just more of the same in conquest.

If trion was smart they would just get rid of the crazy scale bonuses and keep vengence and valor low on all gear so people that pve raid cant stomp pvp players just because they can raid and pvp cannot stomp pve players wanting to enjoy pvp. I seriously do not understand at all why rift and wow do this crap they are the only ones , well i know as rift copied everything from wow. WAR PQ sets per tier were equal to armor sets in pvp bonuses and DAOC didnt even have pvp armor. Plus the c/c is WAY over the top in Rift even compared to wow.

You have lost your damn mind!!!

Vengence and Valor aka PvP stats are in games like Rift and WoW so for exacly the reason you mentioned. To prevent Raiders from dominating PvPers using Raid Gear.

Raid gear doesnt have these PvP stats, so they cant dominate PvP geared players.

without these stats, the Raid Geared players would dominate the PvP geared players
    since stat wise the Raid gear is always better, but not in PvP without the PvP stats for damage reduction and increased damage to Players.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by jonesing22

I was content with Rift pvp. until I hit the 30s bracket and now I'm waiting 45 mins to an hour for a warfront to pop. Hell, i leveled through warfronts it was my primary exp source, but it was taken away.

Not a chance that will happen when you hit 50. The game has been out a while now, of course it will harder to find lower level PVP as most are at 50. I Never wait more than 3 minutes for a WF at 50, and this is at all hours of night and day. Heck usually a WF pops up the second I ask for it.

And for those of you bashing the PVP system saying its "to slow, OP, blah blah blah" Maybe you should actually play the game before saying things that make you sound stupid.

I just started PVP last week, with no gear and got pounded and could do no damage, so I changed my role to bard and helped other players dominate. The team did very well when I was a bard, and it made WF fun. Point is WF is more than just pounding each other. There are objectives, and support roles every class can play. I now have a full set of the first tier gear, with a couple pieces of tier 2 and do some damage and can survive pretty well. I had an entire first tier set in 2 days, so it's easy to get. It takes time, and it can be fun if you use your brain.

Conquest has roles for non pvp players with crafting, and gathering for resources to use. So again, stop talking about something you know nothing about.