Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you trust Funcom?

zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51

Rewind 2 years ago. Age of conan had a 99 dollar 12 month sub with guaranteed access to TSW Beta.  Flash forward to today and i only get access to the last beta weekend which if im not mistaken is the pvp only weekend and everyone can get a key.  Thanks Funcom you guys really kept your word.......

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

All I know about Funcom is TSW closed beta. That's the only first hand expirence I've had with them anyways. Judging by how closed beta has gone, yes I can. The communication and action has been top notch. Far better than swtor, better than WoW, even better than RIFT in this department. 

The amount of work that's been done the past 30 days is incredible. It even sounds like they have more content ready for as soon as  it's needed.  Great closed beta and pre-game run.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77

I can't and if TSW was being released by anyone else I would be all over it but I refuse to put a dime in Funcom's pocket ever.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by zyklonian

Rewind 2 years ago. Age of conan had a 99 dollar 12 month sub with guaranteed access to TSW Beta.  Flash forward to today and i only get access to the last beta weekend which if im not mistaken is the pvp only weekend and everyone can get a key.  Thanks Funcom you guys really kept your word.......

Before the 1st beta weekend I ended up talking to support about the very same issue, I ended up getting a free copy of the full game (as well as closed and weekend beta access).

That said I wouldnt take them up on a simular offer again, atleast not for the special offer such as beta access. If I deside I like the game enough and the discount for the sub is good enough.

Sadly.. even though its shady they still kept their word.

• zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51

i contacted support and was told not to worry because the betas were going out in waves.  but you are right they did keep their word technically

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

Is there a single developer out there you can trust anymore?  Seems like they've all taken their hits.  SOE?  Cryptic?  Even the old stalwarts Blizzard and Bioware have stepped in it.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Only as far as i could throw them.

• RedmantleRedmantle Member Posts: 25

No way no how will I trust funcom. I was very excited for Age of Conan, it came out and was awesome for the most part, until I got off the starter island and the game went to crap. Now TSW is coming out, I got a free beta code, and I tried it out and did not care for it at all. Maybe it's not my style of game or what not, but after the huge dissapointment of AOC I refuse to give them any of my money.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

No...

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Trust?  I barely trust my doctor, much less a random videogame studio...

The better question and topic would be: "Why am I so gullible?  I want my 90 dollars back wah wah wah"

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

i contacted support and was told not to worry because the betas were going out in waves.  but you are right they did keep their word technically

Ill be franc, I emailed them a few times and I didnt just settle for the answer not to worry about and invites going in waves.

I talked to live-support and through them ended up with a lead-rep, emailed with him a few times, sending copies/screenshots of the confirmation email and original add, it took some efford but Im more then satisfied with the resolve.

Only thing I payed was that special deal in 2009. Everything on the pic below was granted to me for free, funny enough I would have been happy just getting the beta weekend access, granted I only missed out on the 1st beta weekend because of it.

Not trying to kick you while you are down, just saying there still is hope.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Maybe Walmart should make an MMORPG.

We can all trust Walmart.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I didn't need to trust anybody, I played the beta, I liked the game and I feel that the box price will be worth it. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Just to correct you, it's not just access to PvP content, you also get access to all other content from the other beta's.

As for not trusting Funcom, I have no issues with them, I've played all thier Online games, sure AO had one of the worst launches that I can remember, but AoC in my eyes made up for that, it just never catered to everyones taste, seeing as everyone was still hooked on WoW (No brainer there really).

I've enjoyed their games and TSW is shaping up to be a good solid game, probably be a niche game due to the fact everyone still seems to have a hardon for games like WoW, even though they bitch and whine they aren't after another WoW clone (Oh please who are you kidding).

So just to repeat the point, yes all the content from previous beta's is available aswell as PvP.

• cougheecoughee Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08

I can't and if TSW was being released by anyone else I would be all over it but I refuse to put a dime in Funcom's pocket ever.

Couldn't agree with you more. 

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Its not like Funcom is EA, is it? Oh wait..... This is made by both. Mybad. Guess I wont buy it either.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Its not like Funcom is EA, is it? Oh wait..... This is made by both. Mybad. Guess I wont buy it either.

Actually EA is merely a distributor. Nothing else. Nothing like GW2 fully owned by NCsoft (why some people are so butthurt by that is beyond me).

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Does that mean I have to download origin again?

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Does that mean I have to download origin again?

Probably not, the beta doesn't need origin. It'll probably be like TOR in that you have the choice to launch it from there or not.

• Lord_AmraLord_Amra Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by coughee
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08

Couldn't agree with you more. 

^^This

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Rewind 11 years ago to the release of Anarchy Online.

[mod edit]

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Thre is good and bad with Funcom.  Despite maybe the worst release in MMO history AO was quite a good game.  But can you trust Funcom.  No.  They are proven liars.Recall what Funcom did with AoC.  They told the ebta testers that the beta build was 3-4 builds behind their internal testing and that they had full content for the level 30+ zones that would be in at release including DX10.  None of this was true the game was completely unfinished outside the starter 1-20 zone,  They played bait and switch with the general public and let open beta testers only play level 1-13 which was well done.  They designed a game for children marketing the game to children with an emphasis on sex, obscentiy, blood, gore and a simplistic gimmicky combat system.  They piad people to post non stop on htese forums postive reviews of AoC.  The game was built on lies and targeted to the worst of the MMO community.  Designed to last players a few weeks.  It was a box sale game only with lies designed to cover up the true state of the game and maximize box sales.  Within a month the game was empty and dead and within 6 months they had merged the servers into a handful of servers,

There is good and bad AO's design was very good and complex but AOC was an abomination.  But more important it was built on dishonesty and lies.  I played a bit of TSW and was surprised and found the starter area well done and interesting.  But NO I will never trust Funcom and out of principal I will never give them money for a game.  Companies that blantaly lie to customers should not exist or be supported.  They would have to make a really great game to ever get my money again.

Is Funcom the most dishonest  AAA dev? On outright lies at release there is no question, yes.  But on the number of lies or the substance of lies I would say SOE.  What SOE did with EQ1 expnasions, with Jedi lies in SWG and NGE was beyond anything Funcom did.  SOE took players time invested into a game and threw it away.  All Funcom did was lie to steal $50 from 800k players.  What SOE did was much worse as it took away and wasted so much time and effort players had put into their games.  I would rather blow $50 on Funcom lies than lose 100 days played on an SOE game.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Edeus

Trust?  I barely trust my doctor, much less a random videogame studio...

The better question and topic would be: "Why am I so gullible?  I want my 90 dollars back wah wah wah"

This. Trust Funcom? Why would anybody even trust any of these companies at all? I don't know them in person, they're all trying to get my money and plotting ways to milk any extra amount of it (oh, they are), so why trust?

Since we're on the matter of FC, i read a comment somewhere regarding TSW that went something like this "I tried the beta, didn't like it. I pre-ordered anyway. Maybe i'll be better at launch". How many players where warning people about SWTOR and everyone still bought the damm game, only to complain about wasting their money 1 month later.

As Edeus point out, be smart with your money, don't fall for the dev talks, and wait atlest a month like myself after launch. Then maybe, some won't come QQ to internet forums about getting "rip off" or "Funcomed"

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Rewind 2 years ago.

I didnt trust Funcom 2 years ago let alone today.

They boned players with AO and took over a year to get the game playable and even more to make it up to par, with AoC...they never got it up to par which is why it went paytrap so fast.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

I wouldn't buy it. This game will be fully F2P outside of their already CASH SHOP along with their SUB FEE within 3 months.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Moving to TSW forum and locking. We have a dedicated thread for general Funcom discussion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.