Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could take a Movie,Book or RL event and make an MMORPG, what would it be?

Comments

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (His books seem just perfect for video games in general)

---

The Fifth Element? (It's one of my all time favorite movies, don't know how well it would translate into an mmo, but Why not?!)

--

Harry Potter

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

I have a couple ideas.

The Dark Tower Trilogy; midworld is begging for an mmo. Scifi/fantasy and western elements..........the possibilities are endless.

Elric of Malnibone..........great books, and that world would make a great mmorpg.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Amber Online.

Elric Online.

Deathrace 2000 Online sounds good too (kudos to the guy who posted the picture of Frankenstein's car).

Resident Evil MMO.

Spaghetti Western (Fistful of Dollars, etc) Online.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

There Will Be Blood Online.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Stargate SG-1: Yeah I know there was one in the works and how it sadly ended up :(

Something based on Terry Prachett's works (Discworld).

Actually would love to see MMO extensions of some existing games, namely Borderlands and Saints Row 3. 

• TurtleDudeTurtleDude Member Posts: 11

There's only one type of game I really want that is one of the old Zombie movie's turned into a EPIC zombie survival first person shooter, my main problem with the curent Zombie shooter game's is they are either run and gun or survial non-skil base games. Want I really want too see is a Zombie shooter with the survival parts put in as in searching for food fuel weapons and ammo but one that if your own skill is good enough you could go "Half-Life" style and just crowbar them all too death but also the way you see in the old movie's were the player can make a "Fort" in terms out of a building and help the survivers too safety.

Just a good Zombie shooter with a good replayable game that allow's you too go solo or gather people too keep the zombie's at bay with a good shooter quility that isn't based on a Skill tree. (Which would also allow Barracades/Traps too be made. {If there is one please tell me!})

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

I would problably not take a movie or a book.  I hate when people make a game of a book, movie,.... and change stuff.

A better to do is a make a game heavily inspired by some setting (rip off?) and so, be free to do the stuff in any way I want without being limited by what the setting is. If the guys from the original setting see it as a rip off, and ask for money, I just pay them, I would have to pay anyway if I used their setting.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by dauntSilver
    Originally posted by avalon1000

Firefly.......The best show cancelled by an idiot network ever....

Firefly wasn't that good tbh.

Tbh=In my opinion...tbh...

It is all in the eye of the beholder. And if done the right way I think it could make an excellent MMO.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by GTwander

There Will Be Blood Online.

• RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59

I know we have Shadowrun online comming, but thats going to be a different thing. I would love to see a full Shadowrun MMO with all the bells and whistles from the RPG. So many possibilities there.

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Give me a sandbox survival mmo set in the Cretaceous or Jurassic period.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90

David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorian world, or his Elenium/Tamuli series with Sparhawk.

"I'm a Alpha male on Beta blockers"-The Immortal George Carlin

RIP
    Ronnie James Dio 2010(The greatest Voice in Rock)

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

I wouldn't. I would only have two choices if I wanted to put my own book I'm working on, if I wanted to turn it into a MMORPG

Give it to an indie dev, but they would have very limited funds and no indie dev has made a good sandbox MMO. The only exception being EVE and I heard the launch was terrible.

Or give it to an AAA developer and get a shi!y themepark MMO that would have nothing to do with said book, except lore.

Instead, I would give rights to Bethesda (the one that makes Elder Scrolls/Fallout) and let them make an epic singleplayer game.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

First I would do a Lord of the Rings online the right way.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Star Wars

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Larry NIven's Tales of Known Space universe (including: ringworld and man v. kzin).

Traveller RPG.

Aftermath (pnp rpg).

World of Greyhawk.

Judges Guilds original world.

Gamma World.

Elric's world.

Arduin Grimoire.

Bladerunner.

Cyberpunk (pnp rpg).

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lordwedgelylordwedgely Member Posts: 61

if it hasn't been mentioned yet, ????(Hokutou no Ken) aka Fist of the North Star

built in lore and mysticism, tons of factions, endless bad guys and bosses, environment could lead to some real free form play

Edit: board software doesn't recognize kanji

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Without reading any comments, a true to the book series Robert Jordan Wheel of Time would be awesome, but it would have to be developed perfectly to be really entertaning...

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Morv

Without reading any comments, a true to the book series Robert Jordan Wheel of Time would be awesome, but it would have to be developed perfectly to be really entertaning...

I would also like to see the

2. Jherog series

3. Spellwright world

4. The Name of Wind World

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I'm a little sad that so few people have recommended textbooks instead of fiction.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Grixxitt   Original content please. I'm tired of seeing my favorite IPs butchered by horrible game companies trying to make a quick buck.
    +1
    Well said!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Aliens MMO.

3 faction - Aliens - Marines - Predators? Oh yeah.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

My first thought was a Mass Effect MMO but aftre the mess that was SWTOR, I have gone right of the idea as I guess that would be another mess.

Then I thought about an Assassin's Creed MMO, but then which era would be to everyones taste, mine being from the first game but I bet the majority would go for the second.

I however would love to see a Bladerunner MMO most of all or even a Deus Ex MMO as the market could do with a few more sci-fi MMO's.

Last but not least, A WW2 MMO. I know there is one out already but it is old and dated and a newer, better one would always be welcome.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I always felt that Ursala K. LeGuin's Earth Sea would be an amazing place for an MMO. You could play 3 factions - one is dragons. The lore is so deep that is just screams to be made.

I will take my portion of profits for the idea.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Harry Potter, but only based on the world, not the story.