Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: E3 2012 'Version 2.0' Interview with Naoki Yoshida

Comments

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by tollbooth
    The people who played it want a replacement after they ruined it with abyssea.

You aren't entitled to anything.

Which he didn't even say...

OT:

This interview doesn't reveal much we didn't already know. And as usual with Yoshi, details are lacking - I guess that's his way of trying to hype the game...

I'll try 2.0, since we who bought the game earlier are promised a new trial. But I don't expect much. Yoshi & co isn't much of an improvement compared to the old team, imo. Lots of talk and little action, that's my impression on him. I really hope 2.0 will take my breath away, but I don't believe it.

From the article:

Another iconic aspect of Final Fantasy games, Summons, or Primals as they are called in Final Fantasy XIV, will provide new content for players in version 2.0. Primals, such as Ifrit and Shiva, will appear throughout the game world and can be fought by groups of players and then captured. Upon capture, the Primal will be unavailable on that particular server until it is used in combat. Once called to battle, the Primal will be released from the player’s control and will reappear elsewhere in the world so it may be captured again.

So, someone who have captured ie Ifrit, can hold it "hostage" as long as he wants, is that what this means? If so, this has to be the most stupid idea any game dev ever had.

No, there was another interview that stated that they only had a few days to use it. I'm sure the devs are way ahead of you....... There is nothing worse than arm chair wannabe game developers who think they have all of the answers.....

• gooshgoosh Member UncommonPosts: 19

For the most part most LS are already astablished and dont need any more members.

Just go up and talk to people its what i do , im never bored in 14 between leveling classes , job quest, class quest, crafting, minning, Doungen crawling, Flame rank grinding, trying to get gear,NM killing , Boss killing, Leve quests there should always be something to do.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by spadge3k00

so pardon me for being a bit dumb but its not still free is it ??

No, it has a sub.  however if I understand the roadmap on their site, there will be a trial period, either offered to those who had subs or maybe to everyone.  Ultimately tho, this will be a sub based game.

• MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82

trollololol... does it mean they will relaunch a new game disc soon??? seems liek i payed a paperweight on its 1st release of disappointment... my LE FF14 copy is rotting day by day... its already more than 2 yrs passin by, hopefully they will release a new server & compensate old players liek me... i might consider to try this for teh 2nd time as well...

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

if it will be f2p or like 5€ a month, im in. otherwise... nah thanks ;)

• i really hope this game does well in 2.0. i was one of many who rolled up into a ball crying when i logged on to see how bad the game was. a solid relaunch of a revamped game would show devs/companies that launch doesn't have to be a final product.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by gilgamesh42

man i love final fantasy i wish this game was f2p

If you realy love then PAY! or you think people and companies can live from free game play? Creating (good) games takes a lot of time and money. Same as with good restaurant. Immagine if any1 would love to eat free. They would close doors very soon.

F2P should be banned by law. Or, CS is present, law should ban using term F2P.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

OT:

This interview doesn't reveal much we didn't already know. And as usual with Yoshi, details are lacking - I guess that's his way of trying to hype the game...

I'll try 2.0, since we who bought the game earlier are promised a new trial. But I don't expect much. Yoshi & co isn't much of an improvement compared to the old team, imo. Lots of talk and little action, that's my impression on him. I really hope 2.0 will take my breath away, but I don't believe it.

From the article:

Another iconic aspect of Final Fantasy games, Summons, or Primals as they are called in Final Fantasy XIV, will provide new content for players in version 2.0. Primals, such as Ifrit and Shiva, will appear throughout the game world and can be fought by groups of players and then captured. Upon capture, the Primal will be unavailable on that particular server until it is used in combat. Once called to battle, the Primal will be released from the player’s control and will reappear elsewhere in the world so it may be captured again.

So, someone who have captured ie Ifrit, can hold it "hostage" as long as he wants, is that what this means? If so, this has to be the most stupid idea any game dev ever had.

No, there was another interview that stated that they only had a few days to use it. I'm sure the devs are way ahead of you....... There is nothing worse than arm chair wannabe game developers who think they have all of the answers.....

Asking a question doesn't make me a "wannabe game developer", so just relax, dude. And if you think there is "nothing worse" than ppl commenting and asking questions, it may surprise you that even most game devs disagree with you. Else they wouldn't ask for feedback.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Deathofsage

I meant that the person that wrote this article said they hadn't played XIV and shied away from it in part due to its similarities to XI.

A large portion of XIV's players tried the game hoping for the best of XI.

Without playing the game, that person doesn't know XIV's weakenesses beyond the "everyone knows XIV sucks".

As a for-instance. I enjoyed Behest in the current incarnation. If you're doing guildleves, or just grinding solo or with one or two others, you can try to stay near the npc camps or gates and talk to npc's on half-hour intervals for a sort of free guildleve that gives you a chunk of experience in a fashion very similar to a guild leve.

It makes it easier for a solo player to gain experience. Especially at lower levels, where many felt using their leves was a "waste".

While it's true I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Final Fantasy XIV (I am familiar with many of the game's more obvious and highly publicized shortcomings, however!), my job on this particular assignment was to find out what Square was planning to do with FFXIV for the game's relaunch. I got you guys the information, how you feel about that information is up to you. My experience with the game isn't too relevant in this regard.

This wasn't really an opinion piece, though I did note a few things offhand that sounded interesting to me.

It was a good article, I think.

There's a value to having someone looking at the game with "fresh eyes" (so to speak). Someone familiar with the current game is not going to perceive the changes and updates the same as someone unfamiliar with it.

For all intents and purposes, MikeB's experience with and reaction to 2.0 is representative of someone coming to the game for the first time. There's definitely value in that.

OT:

From the article:

Asking a question doesn't make me a "wannabe game developer", so just relax, dude. And if you think there is "nothing worse" than ppl commenting and asking questions, it may surprise you that even most game devs disagree with you. Else they wouldn't ask for feedback.

Well, reading through your post, I can say that the question you ask at the end is likely not the reason the "arm-chair developer" comment was made.

Your dissection and judgment of Yoshi and Co as not being an improvement over the previous team - based entirely on your own personal expectations of what you think they should be saying/showing, not on any objective measure of what they should be - seems far more likely to be what prompted that remark.

Imposing your own personal wants/expectations as some kind of objective standard that must be met is rather "arm-chair developer" like to be honest.

Regarding this quote from your post:

"So, someone who have captured ie Ifrit, can hold it "hostage" as long as he wants, is that what this means? If so, this has to be the most stupid idea any game dev ever had."

You apparently haven't been paying attention to all that Yoshi and Co. have been talking about with the game, or you'd know why your description of Primals is completely wrong. No one will be "holding Ifrit (or any other Primal) hostage for as long as he wants".

Before you start accusing Yoshi and Co. of not being communicative enough, you might want to actually make sure you're informed of what their actual communications have entailed. Will save you from making foolish remarks like your "hostage" bit above.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I am going to have to hear a lot of glowing reports before I even look at this game. I tied the F2P time with it and it was a mess. From combat to game mechanics was a yawn fest. Leveling was not fun as well.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Yoshi & co isn't much of an improvement compared to the old team, imo. Lots of talk and little action, that's my impression on him. I really hope 2.0 will take my breath away, but I don't believe it.

They are on schedule on finishing what they are attempting to do. Meanwhile, you'd rather have them say nothing? Yet you also accuse him of not saying enough in the same post... He can either stay quiet or talk about the plans in place, but the rehaul is still a lengthy process to complete.

He didn't even mention the plans for 2.0 up until they were already halfway into implementation. And when he did, we got 4 multi-page PDF's with specifics from content to even the in-house schedule of working on said content.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by MikeB

I meant that the person that wrote this article said they hadn't played XIV and shied away from it in part due to its similarities to XI.

A large portion of XIV's players tried the game hoping for the best of XI.

Without playing the game, that person doesn't know XIV's weakenesses beyond the "everyone knows XIV sucks".

As a for-instance. I enjoyed Behest in the current incarnation. If you're doing guildleves, or just grinding solo or with one or two others, you can try to stay near the npc camps or gates and talk to npc's on half-hour intervals for a sort of free guildleve that gives you a chunk of experience in a fashion very similar to a guild leve.

It makes it easier for a solo player to gain experience. Especially at lower levels, where many felt using their leves was a "waste".

While it's true I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Final Fantasy XIV (I am familiar with many of the game's more obvious and highly publicized shortcomings, however!), my job on this particular assignment was to find out what Square was planning to do with FFXIV for the game's relaunch. I got you guys the information, how you feel about that information is up to you. My experience with the game isn't too relevant in this regard.

This wasn't really an opinion piece, though I did note a few things offhand that sounded interesting to me.

It was a good article, I think.

There's a value to having someone looking at the game with "fresh eyes" (so to speak). Someone familiar with the current game is not going to perceive the changes and updates the same as someone unfamiliar with it.

For all intents and purposes, MikeB's experience with and reaction to 2.0 is representative of someone coming to the game for the first time. There's definitely value in that.

I hate to sound so negative, because I don't mean any hate towards anyone, especially MikeB but--

I'd prefer every article be written by someone with experience with the game. Game companies are especially good at spinning things to sound cool and only fail when gamers actually get hands on with what's actually going on.

A person who has played XIV recently understands the weaknesses and what's fun. We know behests are different, for instance, but we don't really know how they're different or why SE didn't like behests/why players didn't.

I was really looking forward to some revealing details from this article.. and if you've played XIV, you'd know the article doesn't say too much.

Too bad XI is such trash now. I'd really just rather be playing that.

Much respect, as always, to XIV's new team for not trying to bs about XIV 1.0's failures, and for not just giving up or saying "f* it, let's go f2p/shutdown".

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

OT:

From the article:

Well, reading through your post, I can say that the question you ask at the end is likely not the reason the "arm-chair developer" comment was made.

Your dissection and judgment of Yoshi and Co as not being an improvement over the previous team - based entirely on your own personal expectations of what you think they should be saying/showing, not on any objective measure of what they should be - seems far more likely to be what prompted that remark.

Imposing your own personal wants/expectations as some kind of objective standard that must be met is rather "arm-chair developer" like to be honest.

Regarding this quote from your post:

"So, someone who have captured ie Ifrit, can hold it "hostage" as long as he wants, is that what this means? If so, this has to be the most stupid idea any game dev ever had."

You apparently haven't been paying attention to all that Yoshi and Co. have been talking about with the game, or you'd know why your description of Primals is completely wrong. No one will be "holding Ifrit (or any other Primal) hostage for as long as he wants".

Before you start accusing Yoshi and Co. of not being communicative enough, you might want to actually make sure you're informed of what their actual communications have entailed. Will save you from making foolish remarks like your "hostage" bit above.

So basically you're saying my QUESTION is foolish, since I only based it on THIS article without reading through a bunch of others? That's silly, and I'm surprised you appearently don't realise why.

Btw, I have read a lot of other articles, but either the info about holding on to primals wasn't in those, or somehow I missed it.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

OT:

From the article:

Disagree with me on what? You did more than ask a question......

I hate to sound so negative, because I don't mean any hate towards anyone, especially MikeB but--

I'd prefer every article be written by someone with experience with the game. Game companies are especially good at spinning things to sound cool and only fail when gamers actually get hands on with what's actually going on.

A person who has played XIV recently understands the weaknesses and what's fun. We know behests are different, for instance, but we don't really know how they're different or why SE didn't like behests/why players didn't.

I was really looking forward to some revealing details from this article.. and if you've played XIV, you'd know the article doesn't say too much.

Too bad XI is such trash now. I'd really just rather be playing that.

Much respect, as always, to XIV's new team for not trying to bs about XIV 1.0's failures, and for not just giving up or saying "f* it, let's go f2p/shutdown".

The thing is, though, that there have been people who are familiar with the current game checking it out also. There's been various bits from people who saw the demo at E3 and came away saying it's definitely a major turn-around for the game.

Given how unrelentingly cynical and impossibly difficult to sway many MMO gamers can be once they've developed a negative opinion of something, I wouldn't expect much of a change of heart from anyone who knows the current game until they've had a chance to try it themselves.

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Cybermank

You shouldn't write an article about and evaluate with 5.1 a game that, as you said, you've never played.

He's doing E3 coverage, not rating the game, so think before you post.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

The graphics were already the best ever seen in an MMO.  Visually, ffxiv was amazing.  There just was no game to be played really.

It's amazing to me that they revamped the engine from the ground up, when visuals were the least of the game's concerns (except maybe on lower end comps).

His synopsis that by making a game that wasn't ffxi, everquest or WoW, they ended up making a game that wasn't anything is spot on.

I'll be very interested in 2.0 but will be wary to play until then because it really was a very big dissapointment for me.  I was heavily addicted to ffxi and still remember the game fondly and this was not a worthy follow up. 

Still very iffy on the guildleve system.  

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Played this for like 2 weeks at beta and early launch. What a train wreck.

I might consider coming back for 2.0, IF;

-Have they fixed the mouse/keyboard input that they had crippled?

-Have they made the interface menus friendly for non-controller users? Come on, 6 drop down/slide outs and a dialog everytime I want to buy or sell?!?

-Have they fixed the blatant reuse of terrain issues with the new graphics?

-Have they given a reason now for guilds in game, or do you still just bounce between random link shells?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Pretty impressive work.  I hope they can pull off a big win with it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    I don't know what the game director or the interviewer are taking about. FFXI was definitely a FF title. What made FFXI great was the main line story quests and raids coupled with cut scenes and background lore. Were FFXIV failed want the basic concepts our there implementation (crafting was copy paste among other things) but the lack of content and connection to the world.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Umm the one change this game needed badly is still lacking...F2P/B2P.

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

It has perhaps been metioned or not? My friend and I were talking and we both loved the world and had such high hope, might be worth a gander if there is a free trial associated with it??

So basically you're saying my QUESTION is foolish, since I only based it on THIS article without reading through a bunch of others? That's silly, and I'm surprised you appearently don't realise why.

Btw, I have read a lot of other articles, but either the info about holding on to primals wasn't in those, or somehow I missed it.

There's nothing wrong with asking a question. There's not even a problem with you not being aware of information presented in articles you may not have read. That's not the issue.

The issue is that you would make a broad accusation about Yoshi-P and co. not communicating enough about the game, only to turn around and demonstrate that you aren't actually aware of all he actually has communicated, hence undermining your own assertion.

It's like complaining there's not enough food in the house without having checked the pantry first.

Again, it's not a crime to not be aware of every article or interview that's taken place. The trick is to keep that possibility in mind before jumping to conclusions and stating accusations like you did.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

lmao

People are all talking about the new directors abilities and motivation to make the game great. When its all just another type of hype. He isn't better than Tanaka, just different.

He is just as bad at making empty promises that will hype up 2.0. But I honestly believe 2.0 will be a flop. They have had a year with a developement team that is not that great and their idea of innovation is to "apply standard MMO gameplay models". That might impress the author, whose job it is to hype up these games, but in my eyes a far more impressive feat would be to actually try to be different but just put the time/money/effort into doing it well.

If FF14 released polished and without bugs Tanaka and the game would be getting a lot less flack.

This is all hype and empty promises which we see in every game development. Why do we get overexcited anymore? We are MMO players we know how this cash cow works. Let's hold game companies responsible and accountable and myabe we'll see some games worth playing.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.