Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space flight sim MMORPG or something along them lines(no Eve)

joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

Greets.  Well for the time being, i'm Gameless.

Been hankerin for a game where it has elements of Space flight Sim(kinda like Jumpgate, X3,SFC3 etc etc)  and part  mmorpg.  and where i dont just have to kill.  If i want to mine for a bit, i can mine, if i want to haul/trade, i can haul or trade.

Main reason for no Eve is the fact that i played that for years, and i'm really A. burned out on the timesink for skills.  and B. Eve is a never ending cycle of player find "workarounds and semi exploits" and then "company Nerfs"

any idea folks?

pls dont recomend Jumpgate(unless there is a ton more players on the server)

nor recomend Freelancer(srry folks that game was never meant to be a mmorpg, though so many have put blood sweat and tears into tryin to make it so.)

thanx for the help your able to give folks.

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

Comments

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

Vendetta Online?

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Star Wars Galax----

Ooooh... shit, right, right.

Sorry.

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by JT

Vendetta Online?

I always forget one or two.  But it's been a Rather long while. but from what i can remember. . .

Dead game, hardly any players.

and a space sim with no shields.

But it's been like a year since i checked it out, so i'll go take a peekl.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by joojoo1975
    Originally posted by JT

Vendetta Online?

I always forget one or two.  But it's been a Rather long while. but from what i can remember. . .

Dead game, hardly any players.

and a space sim with no shields.

But it's been like a year since i checked it out, so i'll go take a peekl.

Dude, you are so wrong on bouth counts.  The game is far from dead; see the end of my post for a video recently shot  from my perspective if you require proof.

It takes a while to learn where the population valleys are and gather around them.  Come to the Sedina star system around 3:30 PM EST this Sunday (or any Sunday for that matter), and you will see some festivities.  Also, you may be near someone and not even realize it as it takes a while to develop the right kind of situational awareness.  I recommend getting the plugin Targetless (shown in the video) as this will help you in that regard.

I don't know what the fetish with shields is all about;  to me, the way a game mechanic affects strategy and tactics is more important than having shields for the sake of having shields, but Vendetta Online most certainly does feature shields (also shown in the video).  Fighter craft do not have shields, capital ships usually have shields.  Yes, you can fly either one (provided you have the time and testicular fortitude to craft a cap ship... it would take a single player months if not years) and yes, fighter ships can dock with cap ships to repair and reload, multiple players can also serve as crew on board a cap ship, man the turrets etc.  There is also a "shield turret" weapon, which can be mounted on some ships, that fires octagonal disc-like shields out into space that can intercept incoming ordinance like a point-defense weapon.  Bombers can launch torpedoes, swarm missiles, and other anti-capship weaponry.  Turrets can be individually targeted... there is a lot of strategy involved.

Even flying a fighter craft into a furball or 1v1 requires a lot of strategy; more than you would ever garner from watching a few simple videos.  It's not all about reflexes.  You need to have excellent spatial memory: knowing what is around you at all times, relative threats and opportunities, the safe distance from proximity weapons, and staying out of an opponent's cone of fire.  To compete at the top level takes years of practice and training, and if you don't play every week you will quickly find yourself becoming rusty.  Also, you could have the best reflexes of anyone in game, but if you don't understand the fundamentals of combat and apply them you will get beaten.

I've played consistently for 9 years and I feel like there is still a lot to learn.  Just when I think I've found my way to the top, another player comes along and teaches me a lesson.  That's one of the reasons I love it; it is always changing, different players, different game mechanics, new strategies.  I've never had an experience where I've felt as connected to a game as in Vendetta Online.  Anyone who tries to tell you it's somehow less complex than Eve or other games is pulling the wool over your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnYiqbciNiw

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE:REBELLION

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Star Trek Online

Eve

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

If u don't mind browser based games then take a look at Battle Star Galatica online and there is also Black Prophecy . 

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Eve

Pls read before you post.  thanx

Eve

why are you here?

Guess you missed the 1st suggestion and since you want something to replace Eve, there is very few out there hence Eve being there.

Once again you missed the first suggestion, also I'm here because it's a free forum.

Eve

why are you here?

Guess you missed the 1st suggestion and since you want something to replace Eve, there is very few out there hence Eve being there.

Once again you missed the first suggestion, also I'm here because it's a free forum.

well i tried to edit it as i felt i was being a lil harsh.  but since you full well knew what you were doing, i guess i wasn't.

So in your estimate, if there isn't something else that You haven't seen, it's ok to post something that has already been stated(and asked not to bring up).

man i bet your swell at funerals and divorce hearings :D

Eve

why are you here?

well i tried to edit it as i felt i was being a lil harsh.  but since you full well knew what you were doing, i guess i wasn't.

So in your estimate, if there isn't something else that You haven't seen, it's ok to post something that has already been stated(and asked not to bring up).

man i bet your swell at funerals and divorce hearings :D

NP, no offense taken simply there is little out there for space MMO's.

well on that i can agree with you m8

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

Evochron Mercenary

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

Taikodom (English version - beta, original Brazilian version - launched...I think)

Miner Wars (beta)...Has a single-player/multiplayer co-op version and an MMO version

Star Conflict (beta)...as far as I can tell I think this one only has PvP killing

Originally posted by Fehd

If u don't mind browser based games then take a look at Battle Star Galatica online and there is also Black Prophecy . 

BSG from what i played a time ago, is basically a tunnel shooter, nor does it have mining/cargo haulage.  has it changed/was i wrong?

Just spent a hour playing Dark Prophecy.  looks like a good game, but alas it also does not have mining/cargo hauling.  it's basically just a space flight sim shooter.  then i went on forums to confirm and the forums are all blowing up about the game on it's last breath  :(  so once again, am i wrong on this and if so, pls point me to the info about other activities besides crafting ships and guns and ship combat.

looks like VO Might be somewhat what i'm looking for.  i'll have to have some questions answered first though.

Ask away...

Don't hesitate to drop a line on the main VO forums either, the community tends to be a friendly bunch; indeed, one of the main reasons I've continued playing is the community.  Incarnate, the lead dev, will often stop to answer questions or respond to feedback there, particularly from a new user.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

yea played VO for a bit.  And it's not what i'm lookin for.  the game is good and easy to download, but I'm more of a Terminus/starfleet command 3 kinda guy.

Thanx to all who tried to help.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

NASA is working on a multiplayer moon simulation.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • heromalheromal Member UncommonPosts: 10

Ace Online has 250% increased experience until you reach end-game, so the grind isn't as bad anymore. It's a great game, and even though it's pay to win, you can buy all credit shop items with the game's currency, as well as with points you get from pvp. It also has RvR, ans 12v12 max arena.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Greets.  Well for the time being, i'm Gameless.

Been hankerin for a game where it has elements of Space flight Sim(kinda like Jumpgate, X3,SFC3 etc etc)  and part  mmorpg.  and where i dont just have to kill.  If i want to mine for a bit, i can mine, if i want to haul/trade, i can haul or trade.

Main reason for no Eve is the fact that i played that for years, and i'm really A. burned out on the timesink for skills.  and B. Eve is a never ending cycle of player find "workarounds and semi exploits" and then "company Nerfs"

any idea folks?

pls dont recomend Jumpgate(unless there is a ton more players on the server)

nor recomend Freelancer(srry folks that game was never meant to be a mmorpg, though so many have put blood sweat and tears into tryin to make it so.)

thanx for the help your able to give folks.

I've been looking for one for years now.

I gave up, you should too.

I played every space-oriented MMORPG out there and there isn't anything worthwhile out there.

I will bring up DarkSpace because nobody else brought it up yet, even thought i think its a horrible game.

But you might be more forgiving than i am.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Well a few action based space mmo games that I can think of.

http://blackprophecy.com/

http://www.starsonata.com/page/screenshots posting to screens page because many have not seen star sonata 2 only 1.

http://en.battlestar-galactica.bigpoint.com/

That is a few I can think of that have not been mentioned here already.

Edit - Ok some have been mentioned but still worth a look.

My Fave one has to be SS2 I dont mind top down games as long as it is action based. It kinda reminds me of SPAZ gameplay that was a great little Indie game. The features in that game are pretty much massive you can buy stations sell stuff in them mine planets and buy AI ships to either fight with you or run trade routes for you. Each ship has its own abilities and they constantly keep adding more and more with updates. It may be top down but I am going for fun factor here I was put off a little until I played it and got into it quite a bit and the features I uncovered in the game the more I played the more I liked what they had done with this game.

• CailaCaila Member Posts: 47

I play EVE as well.

I am always on the lookout for EVE's competition to see if there is anything that can beat it in the space sim which is hard since EVE is an excellent game.

Currently not much on competition but there are three newcomers coming up fast.

http://nexusconflict.gamigo.com/en/

http://star-conflict.com/en/

http://www.gamersfirst.com/taikodom/

Nexus Conflict takes place in the Black Prophecy Universe but is all capital ships. Star Conflict is World of tanks in space. Taikodom is like EVE with twitch mechanics. Everyone thought Taikodom was dead but they just announced there closed Beta. They have some pretty good looking ships in Taikodom, I am excited to try all three.

Both Star Conflict and Nexus Conflict are in Closed Beta and they say Taikodom will be released in 2012.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Caila

I play EVE as well.

I am always on the lookout for EVE's competition to see if there is anything that can beat it in the space sim which is hard since EVE is an excellent game.

Currently not much on competition but there are three newcomers coming up fast.

http://nexusconflict.gamigo.com/en/

http://star-conflict.com/en/

http://www.gamersfirst.com/taikodom/

Nexus Conflict takes place in the Black Prophecy Universe but is all capital ships. Star Conflict is World of tanks in space. Taikodom is like EVE with twitch mechanics. Everyone thought Taikodom was dead but they just announced there closed Beta. They have some pretty good looking ships in Taikodom, I am excited to try all three.

Both Star Conflict and Nexus Conflict are in Closed Beta and they say Taikodom will be released in 2012.

http://www.mpogd.com/games/beta_keys.aspx

For Nexus Conflict keys

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I really liked freelancer even though I felt it was a very B game. The combat and stuff was fun though and I can see where the op is coming from looking for something other than eve with more af a piloting focus as apposed to the strategy focus I believe eve has if I'm not mistaken. Though 

i don't have any recomendations I would +1 for a game of this nature....

Well, to each their own I guess, but I literally prefer Vendetta to every other electronic game out there. It could be because of the fact that I've been playing for so long, but I find something in VO's aesthetic that is rarely found: soul. The physics reminds me of extreme sports like surfing or snowboarding; it's hard to describe unless you've been there. Explosions rock ships, weapons each have their own individual feel, certain players have unique styles, etc. One day its impact might be compared to Galaga, Escape Velocity, or X-Wing. Important to note that it's designed as an MMORPG, as the term implied circa 1998.

If you find it lacking in any way, why not lend a contributing hand! Player participation and contribution is a cornerstone of the community; right now I'm in the middle of a very big project, and spend more time on the Test Server designing content than the actual game server. This is as a regular player, not affiliated with Guild Software. The only game that may surpass it in that regard is A Tale In The Desert, to give you an idea of how important player-contributed content is to this game. I could go on and on about this, but I think I've made my position clear, so this will be my last post here.

There are a lot of multiplayer space sims out there, but there is only one Vendetta Online.