Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age Of Conan. A new look.

Comments

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by DeaconX

Originally posted by Thunderous

Nice promotional ad...

How much did Funcom pay you to write and post that?  Funcom took a great IP and made about the most pathetic adaptation of it humanly possible.  The only redeeming quality to Age of Conan are the graphics.  Once you leave Tortage (starter level) the game turns craptastic QUICKLY.

Viral advertising at it's finest. 

Just because someone writes something positive, they have to be on the payroll... you pessimistic brat.  I happen to fully agree with the OP, troll.

*this is the cleaned up version of my reply... as clean as I could get it.*

Viral marketing at it's finest...  I got a warning from the Mods about my response to Funcom's viral marketing, I wonder if you got a warning for calling me a name...?  Doubt it.

Either way I can't help it you and the OP share a misguided opinion about what a game SHOULD offer.  If you enjoy highly linear and over-promised adaptations of a great IP, then I would imagine all the hours you spend are worth it to you.  I keep trying it hoping that some magic patch has made this game fun and each time I am reminded of just how WoW ruined MMO's and how inept Funcom is.

Tecmo Bowl.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

I'm wondering what happened to the hundreds of thousands that Funcom boasted about for free to play as USA servers are empty.  Can't blame release on that so there must be major flaws in this game TODAY.

Graphics: yes but most play games for gameplay reasons and the game engine is bad because it limits the number of players per area without huge issues.

Story: Age of Conan's texts is greater then star war's well done voice acting and much better two sided story or class story? OK.  EQ2's and WoW's quest writing is better.  AoC is similar to every other MMO though.

Community: If you play on USA servers you will know everyones name because there are so few people.  The MA gimicky rating seemed to attrackt the worse kinds though as call of duty players seem more mature.  On USA servers it is a single player game.

Raiding:  I'm sure long time players love raiding content that has been around since release.  I only did tier 1 to 3 and it wasn't impressive, knowing that the guilds have been pick up grouping that for years and can't progress because everyone who cared about raids quit  is demoralising. 

Roleplaying:  What  MMO doesn't have loads of emotes? However, people running around with names like "Ipawnnubs" tends to upset roleplayers.

Combat: SWTOR has AoE melee strikes it also requires way more buttons than AoC for some classes.  After the latest patch it is more responsive and fluid than AoC.  All the popular MMOs and there are plenty have combat with a better feel for most players.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by tares

I'm wondering what happened to the hundreds of thousands that Funcom boasted about for free to play as USA servers are empty.  Can't blame release on that so there must be major flaws in this game TODAY.

They must be out PvP'ing...  *rollseyes*

Tecmo Bowl.

• ZuuzZuuz Member Posts: 44

Nothing beats random world pvp encounters in AoC... I havent played in a while but while I was leveling up back then the world pvp was what kept me there, better than in any other mmo period.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Zuuz

Nothing beats random world pvp encounters in AoC... I havent played in a while but while I was leveling up back then the world pvp was what kept me there, better than in any other mmo period.

Ooohhh... and the fatalities!!! Nothing like dominating your opponent with a nasty fatality!! :D People get sooo pissed ... hehhee

The Ultimate Breakdown

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Davirok

Nice promotional ad...

How much did Funcom pay you to write and post that?  Funcom took a great IP and made about the most pathetic adaptation of it humanly possible.  The only redeeming quality to Age of Conan are the graphics.  Once you leave Tortage (starter level) the game turns craptastic QUICKLY.

You know where the door is dont ya

Thanks for the shining example of the "community" in this game.  I'm sorry, OP but the community in this game is among the worst I have ever experienced.  I see nothing but crass, rude statements in that horrid grey chat.  I never see helpful comments, or positive comments.  I only ever see the kind of conversations you would hear on a back alley streetcorner in the worst places of the world(real life that is).

Sorry Elocke but you lost all credibility when you stated that STO was to hard.

I still sub to AOC, i don't play it that much now but i would have to add that Funcom has the best combat system in AOC than any other mmo i have played.

It's just a shame there are so many bugs and the time that they need to fix them. Anyway for a great time just play free, level 1- 80 then do a few raids, if you like it then sub for a few months to try the expansion.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Nice review. I tried it out a year or two ago. Didn't really like the invisible walls everywhere. Glad to see they are revamping crafting this summer. Honestly, if it wasnt for TSW coming out soon, Id probably get into AoC. TOR is holding me over til then.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Nice reveiw. Good to hear that they are gonna show crafting some love. Crafting and community is two imporatant things i feel need to be good for me to be paying a sub for a MMO.

Gonna start downlading patches when i get back from work tormorrow and give it a go i think. See how it feels compared to SWTOR.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by Hauken

Nice reveiw. Good to hear that they are gonna show crafting some love. Crafting and community is two imporatant things i feel need to be good for me to be paying a sub for a MMO.

Gonna start downlading patches when i get back from work tormorrow and give it a go i think. See how it feels compared to SWTOR.

I would be interested in comparative reviews between SWTOR and AoC, if you bother to write one!

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Community is a big plus for me. I may just have to re-install and check this out for myself.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Those still bashing AoC either have not played it since launch or at all. It has run its course for me, but it is an amazing game now. One of the best on the market atm. I had a ton of fun with people in this game just being silly.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

to the OP..you got it spot on..i unsubbed to game due to what i call the greed factor of funcom,but saying that i,m a tight bastard..hope you continue to enjoy the game for a long time to come.

imageimageimage

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

It got REALLY boring after Tortage.  I gave up in the zone next to the asian expansion area.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

AoC handles RP very well, With a list emotions that can make your headspin due to its sheer amount, and the Vanity tab (allows you equip a gearset which you favor over the current and still retain the stats!) I'm going to keep this subject light but all in all, Roleplayers are in a safe haven here in Age of Conan. With weelky RP meets you'll get your dose of RP happily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Age of Conan assumes you aren't bright enough to see through the cosmetics.  In regards to lore, RP, and its effect on pvp, you have the same races and classes killing each other.  Priest of Mitra align with Priests of Set and kill each other.  Necromancers and Demos can run full pets out through Cimmeria and not get attacked.  That is bs.  So while it may seem kind of nifty at first, the very fact they did not make this an empire vs empire vs empire game, leads to the reason why a lot of folks quit, felt ZERO sense of immersion, and never took it seriously.

Hence, free to play cash shop.  Aoc, thusly, has no clue about RP. 

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I just gave it a a go today, playing on a PVE EU server since I believe that games that don't have PvP at it's core tend to be bad PvP games. Anyway, first of all I'm having technical issues. For some reason my DX10 gfx driver keeps crashing. I asked around about this issue and a few ppl polite enough to try to help, although I still havent solved the issue. However, so far I'm enjoying it, and try it for about a little longer, although there are one or two things I dislike so far. The cash shop, and the UI, particularly the grey chat text on grey background.  My other concern is the amount of gold spammers there are, it doesn't create a good impression if one of the first things u read in the chatbox is someone trying to sell in-game gold.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Arakazi

I just gave it a a go today, playing on a PVE EU server since I believe that games that don't have PvP at it's core tend to be bad PvP games. Anyway, first of all I'm having technical issues. For some reason my DX10 gfx driver keeps crashing. I asked around about this issue and a few ppl polite enough to try to help, although I still havent solved the issue. However, so far I'm enjoying it, and try it for about a little longer, although there are one or two things I dislike so far. The cash shop, and the UI, particularly the grey chat text on grey background.  My other concern is the amount of gold spammers there are, it doesn't create a good impression if one of the first things u read in the chatbox is someone trying to sell in-game gold.

are you running w7 or vista .the game does not hold up well with vista.mine crashed 18 times in an hr on vista,changed to w7 no crashes at all.gold spammers you get in every game justabout ,just ignore them.ui you can d/load aoc installer from curse.they have addons there as well.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Originally posted by kevjards

are you running w7 or vista .the game does not hold up well with vista.mine crashed 18 times in an hr on vista,changed to w7 no crashes at all.gold spammers you get in every game justabout ,just ignore them.ui you can d/load aoc installer from curse.they have addons there as well.

I'm using windows 7 64bit. And I'll check out curse for an alternative UI. I'll try playing with the setting lowered and see if that helps why I play a bit tonight.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by sibs4455

Originally posted by elocke

Originally posted by Davirok

Nice promotional ad...

You know where the door is dont ya

Thanks for the shining example of the "community" in this game.  I'm sorry, OP but the community in this game is among the worst I have ever experienced.  I see nothing but crass, rude statements in that horrid grey chat.  I never see helpful comments, or positive comments.  I only ever see the kind of conversations you would hear on a back alley streetcorner in the worst places of the world(real life that is).

Sorry Elocke but you lost all credibility when you stated that STO was to hard.

I still sub to AOC, i don't play it that much now but i would have to add that Funcom has the best combat system in AOC than any other mmo i have played.

It's just a shame there are so many bugs and the time that they need to fix them. Anyway for a great time just play free, level 1- 80 then do a few raids, if you like it then sub for a few months to try the expansion.

Where did I state STO was too hard?  STO is boring not hard.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

... the grey chat text on grey background.  ...

You can change the transparency of the chat background from 50% to maybe 20% and you will get much higher contrast. (It might be as easy as right-clicking in the chat window to find the options, either that or you have to go to the gui settings...)

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Dual spec released, Many more tweaks to come. This game only gets better with time.

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Became, and is, a grind on the levels of asian mmos. Once you hit 80, you'll realize.

Server pops are so low that youll know every player handle.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Dual spec released, Many more tweaks to come. This game only gets better with time.

Which server do you play on? Characters name? Population? Currently in a guild? Are they using voice chat? A good guild?

Would be nice to get answears from you about these things, since ypu have played for some time now. Me, I am still searching for a good community in a fun game. Can your guild provide that? ;)

Also, US or EU?

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

I am US, currently playing on Wiccana PvE, i do have toons on the pvp server though.

They are a lot of great guilds on Wic that are more than helpful to any players. I suggest Ghostwolves, great group of people. I'm in Rogue Angels but wouldn't recommend them to newer players as our focus is end game/pvp. Just depending on the type of person you are im sure you can find something that would fit your needs

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Ravenspen
    Those still bashing AoC either have not played it since launch or at all. It has run its course for me, but it is an amazing game now. One of the best on the market atm. I had a ton of fun with people in this game just being silly.

The game is the same.  I played it at launch, and I played it twice since it has gone F2P.  The game is still the same.

If a game goes F2P and does not have to add extra servers you know that nothing has changed.   There are a ton of people like myself who came back, spent a few weeks playing and realized it isn´t worth even playing for free.  If the game had improved that much since launch, there would at least be huge demand for new servers from f2p people.  There aren´t.  There is no increase in populations since it went f2p which is all the needs to be said.

It was a boring, highly instances lonely game at launch.  Melee combat requires too much key-smashing to be fun (past the first few weeks when it feels new) and ranged is just boring.   There is nothing good about AOC that isn´t found in 10 other f2p games... oh wait.. nipples.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

AoC is one of two games that I just keep coming back to.  It has *almost* everything I want from an MMO.

GRAPHICS

The graphics are just amazing and that's number one in my book.  Yes, I realize that graphics alone don't make a good MMO, but they sure can emphasize a shitty one, such as TOR.  TOR has piss poor cartoony garbage graphics, but was boasting the best game play in any MMO to date.  After the shine of *story* wore off for me tho, I was stuck with a below average game with abolutely garbage visuals... time to move on.  While the visuals of this game aren't quite up to an HD modded Skyrim with a good ENB running, it's STILL the best visuals in any MMO on the market and that's saying something for a 2008 game.  I really feel like I'm there in AoC.  The immersion is pretty amazing for me.

STORY

The story is also just as fun as the graphics.  Tortage is a blast to play and replay.  In fact, I leveled a dozen characters just through Tortage alone and some of those I never even took to 80.  There are people that complain that the story past Tortage is bad, but those are people that can't get over the system shock of going from listening ot dialogue to reading it.  The story takes a small slump immediately after 20, but then it picks right back up again in the 30's. 

The problem with people that complain about the story in this game being terrible is that they are skipping all the amazing dungeons in this game.  ALL of the best dungeons in this game are between lvl's 1-79.  This isn't to say that the dungeons post 80 are all terrible, but the three wings of Tier 2 raiding are a giant yawnfest where you are stuck in the same landscape for hours.  I can't believe they made some of the most enjoyable dungeons in any game I've ever played and then finished it off with a multi-hour romp in boring land.

Some of the pre-80 dungeons are an absolute blast to play over and over.  Cradle of Decay, Ampitheater of Karutonia (one of my all time favorite dungeons in any game), Sanctum of Burning Souls (I love this dungeon and I even run it at 80 solo when I'm bored sometimes),  Iron Tower (Very hard, but very fun), Crows Nest (Fan the Flames!).

PVP

I'll admit that when I first started playing AoC I was a big PVP'er.  I rolled all my first few characters on Deathwhisper and fought people with my Necromancer any chance I got.  It was a blast and almost forced you to level with other players in order to avoid being ganked solo.  There's nothing as fun as rolling up on people farming at atzels fortress or the badit camp in kesh and facerolling them and then farming it for yourself.  On the PVE servers, if you came up on people farming, then you were forced to join their group and if they wouldn't let you join, then you were shit out of luck.

This really isn't an issue anymore now that most players are lvl 80 and not farming the bandit camps for XP, but within a month of release it was great to have the option to PVP to keep your PVE area clear.

At first PVP was horribly broken.  TOS were one-shot wonders, often hitting even best geared guardians at the time for double their HP in damage.  Funcom took the approach of "one character rebalance at a time" which simply left a rotating door of OP characters.  The TOS were nerfed to oblivion and then the Necros were crazy OP, then they were nerfed, then the rangers... and so on.  So basically it took a long time to balance PVP and a lot of PVP'ers weren't willing to stick around and wait.

PVP is still in a state of shambles.  Someone at Funcom got the idea that what we really want to do for PVP is play a small handful of minigames ad nauseum and when that gets boring what we really wanted to do was farm PVP resource nodes.  That guy, whoever he is, should be fired... like in front of a firing squad.  Worst idea ever.  What people really wanted from PVP were dynamic objectives to fight over.

EXPANSION

The first and only expansion to this game is a mixed bag for me.  First, it provided some really good pick-up entertainment in the form of 6 man dungeons that were challenging and very rewarding.  The gear drops from them were even better than Tier 2 raiding gear.  There were some pretty fun quests here too, although many of them were bugged very badly.

The new areas were also visually stunning.  They looked amazing, had compltely brand new NPC's fight, and were a nice break from the rest of the game.

The problems started when I decided to get my first new mount.  The Tiger.  I had no clue how bad grinding could be until I started down this path.  Doing the same 5-6 quests over and over and over and over for hours on end just to collect some stupid tokens that I could turn in to get a baby mount, which I then had to train up.  It was a literal Asian grinder... set in an asian landscape.  I got my Tiger and quit playing again soon afterwards. 

Some of the new areas were absolutely ridiculous to top it off.  Kara Korum for instance had so many predators per square foot, that there's no way there was enough prey for them to even live longer than a day.

OVERALL

Overall, this game is actually very enjoyable, but it should and I emphasize this, it really should be played with good friends.  Take your time leveling, try to do all the dungeons for your level, and do the ones you like a few times.  There's plenty to do at lvl 80, but it gets repetetive fast so enjoy the lower level content without simply racing to 80.