Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Explain your opinion

Comments

• NightvergeNightverge Puyallup, WAPosts: 211Member

Wow :), thank you all for the replies. Read as many as I could (when I left there were zero comments on the thread) and there is some good stuff here. A lot of the replies have been a little off topic though. I'd appreciate it if we could flesh out some of the replies more. If you want, also include what you were hoping the game to be like (in whatever area you find it lacking) and if there are any games out that do it better than GW2 does. 

I'll attempt to reply to the general feel of the thread. As it's hard to reply to 8 pages of posts all at once if there is a point you brought up and I missed acknowledging it here please either repost it or paraphrase it in response to this post. That way I can try to respond to all of the ideas in the thread.

First of all I'll say that I realize my initial arguements were very black and white, 'if you don't like this style of combat than you must like the old style'. It was meant to be that way. I meant to encourage some thought into how someone would prefer things, if not in the way presented here. I ask for a reference of a game that does it better to give some thought into what is actually possible for a game to do. 

One poster noted a game idea where a player could clear an area and make their own town and then defend it from orcs. Its a nice idea, on paper. Please don't misunderstand, it sounds phenominal. Most things, however, do not work out quite so nicely when transfered from idea to playable product. Every game you play, every aspect of them, sounded extraordinary on paper. That's what got them signed in the first place. Thousands of them, however, face unexpected issues. Perhaps the system isn't balanced in some way, or there isn't enough game space to house all those player towns, or it would be too demanding on systems and limit the playerbase too much to get any funding, or maybe it just turns out to be not as fun as it sounds in writing. Perhaps it becomes tedius, do players need to be present to defend this village at all times? Or are there NPC's to do it? If there are NPC's how strong should they be? 

The point is its easy to come up with an idea that sounds good on paper but is not actually do-able or fun in implementation. Is there any game with this idea in use? Regardless, this idea still involves killing, gathering, defending and solving in the form of clearing an area, building a town, and defending it thereafter. There is no escaping these paradigmes. The thought I had hoped to inspire was the idea that it is not what your doing in a game but how your doing it. It is all in the presentation. Thus, my confusion is endless when people say "well, your still gathering and killing things". To me that seems like an obvious and unavoidable action.

Some do not like the art and storyline. I can understand that. Again though, please provide examples of what you'd been expecting/hoping it to be like while providing some example of a game that either does it better or promises to do it better when it releases.

Others of you note performance and balance issues. I won't really be responding to these due to the game being in beta. No, beta does not excuse fundamental game design choices. It does, however, excuse error in code or error in foresight. Performance and balance are two of the main reasons a game has a beta at all. Many features are absent for the betas and balance is fluctuating wildly every time we play it. I won't ask you to change your opinion about the game, just please refrain from labeling anything regarding balance or performance as one of your issues with the game. I won't take these complaints seriously until the game is launched. This includes dynamic event scaling (which is in the process of being balanced now).

That being said, with all respect (which, of course, means I'm about to sound really rude) please do not post if you are not willing to provide specific examples of what you don't like, how you'd hoped it would be, and a game either out or in development that comes close to doing it better than GW2. I respect your opinion but this just isn't the thread for it. If you feel the combat is boring please label something boring about it, how you'd hoped it would be, and a game that does it better. If you simply want to share a brief opinion about the game there are many other threads that are for that. 

I'm sure I missed a ton of good points. If I didn't really address a point you brought up just attach what you said again in a reply. Thanks guys, keep the discussion going.

• IrusIrus Wichita, KSPosts: 774Member
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Don't you ever feel like that your desire to be "the hero of the world" clashes with your immersion in MMORPGs?

Immersion doesn't work that way for people in most MMORPG's, because it is not the task of video games to become, well, a "life is unfair" simulator. Most people play games for fun, escape, cooling off, so that element is one of the first that goes out the window. We do not lose immersion because we become the hero. While extreme realism can be fun for many people, it's a bit abnormal, since there's plenty of in real life as it is.

I wonder though how many people feel like you in that aspect. Perhaps the majority are happy with just being a member, socializing, going on adventures without ever feeling like being the "hero of the world"; at least that is what I've always suspected.

I think people are OK with being all-right and not necessarily heroes of the world, but many sandbox MMORPG's go as far as to make a new player a complete nobody and keep him a complete nobody for a really long time. Some people do not enjoy being bossed around much, they want to be in control and want the game to allow for their expression.

If a person wants to build a house, but it's impossible to build a house alone, and they are forced to go help someone else build their stupid house or not build it at all, well, you see where that's going.

• KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by toddze

Well I am late to the dance:

But heres why I will skip GW2,

I dont see it keeping my intrest longer than a month because, I dont see anything to strive for. I am an old school MMO player I want super rare items, I dont want everything given out with minimal effort. Its not so much that I have to have the items, but the effort in trying to get them is what keeps me going. The problem with most mmo's these days is you reach the top of the mountian WAY TO FAST. When you get to the top theres nothing left to do but run around in your shinnies. There always needs to be something to strive for, to keep you going. This isnt just a gw2 problem this is a problem in all modern MMO's.

This sir, is one of the most understanding responses Ive seen in this thread.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon

I have a feeling this game will be a big disapointment, even if this game turns out to be good. People are making this game to be out some holy graal which means even if its a golden cup containing the best tasting liquid in the world, its still not going to be any good compared to the holy graal its imagined to be. Its going to have so many people disapointed becuase their expectations were so extreme that I think many will quit quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting there to be flaws that will lower population as normal, but the over-hype will draw players to quit the game who would otherwise stay if they didn't buy into the insane hype.

Originally posted by Purutzil

I have a feeling this game will be a big disapointment, even if this game turns out to be good. People are making this game to be out some holy graal which means even if its a golden cup containing the best tasting liquid in the world, its still not going to be any good compared to the holy graal its imagined to be. Its going to have so many people disapointed becuase their expectations were so extreme that I think many will quit quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting there to be flaws that will lower population as normal, but the over-hype will draw players to quit the game who would otherwise stay if they didn't buy into the insane hype.

I have a feeling there might be a backlash also. Although I don't think it will be much because this game has no subs. That is what many use to grief game launches.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

In single player RPGs it is usually not immersion breaking since there is no contradiction in one person being the hero of a world. The problem with the "I want to be the hero of the world" in MMORPGs is that can lead  to the bizarre situation where you have many players who are all "the hero of the world" which leads to a contradiction within that world. You cannot all be the one person who individually defeated the big threat. All parties cannot all be the one party that defeated the big threat.

It's not immersion breaking if it's managed correctly, permitting for multiple heroes (most MMORPG's I've seen allow for that), and if all side roles are actually filled by NPC's. In fact, GW2's management of this is is very good, especially compared to WoW. Rather than get an individualized quest, you have dynamic events that pepole can participate in or not, and they're something that actually changes in the world. Not immersion breaking at all.

While you can argue that 2 people doing the same quest is a bit immersion breaking, that is mostly a technical artifact. There are a lot of things in gaming that are limited simply by technology/time/resources, that doesn't necessarily break immersion. There are many games not realistic at all but very immersive, how did you play all those low-graphics pixelated games back in the day?

• ThorbrandThorbrand West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 1,198Member
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Sure after BWE 2 GW2 is just updated GW1 with Dumbed down TSW combat! Facts are the facts! Wish they had made the MMO they promised.

[mod edit]

Seriously play TSW...it has the same combat more advanced. GW2 after BW2 is a poor MMO very poor MMO. Don't blindly follow the masses.

I have done two BWE for both games and TSW is a way more advanced MMO in every way except PvP. [mod edit]

• XssivXssiv Haskell, NJPosts: 359Member

I think the game is fine for a B2P title but look past the smoke and mirrors and your left with very little in terms of long-term immersion and meaningful gameplay.

80 levels of DE's and hearts will get old, trust me. 

Two week long WvW matches will become very lame after the newness wheres off.

Running dungeons for cosmetic rewards will seem silly in a few months.

Cash shop items will affect the economy and put an asterisk next to most people's achievements whether they used the cash shop or not.  (not saying Pay to Win but it will affect the game in a negative way)

I think the game is exactly what ANet pitched it to be, an MMO designed for people who don't like MMO's.

Personally, I love gear progression and having the ability to make my character more powerful through stats and mitigation.

I like the trinity because it assigns specific responsibilities to players in groups.  I also enjoy the different play styles that the trinity offers which makes rolling alts much more fun.

• seridanseridan ThessalonikiPosts: 1,202Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by coretex666

Then suddenly several people who take any criticism towards this computer game personally came in and started to insult the people who expressed their opinions or to argue with them trying to prove them wrong. You cannot argue with someone's opinion. It is like trying to persuade a person who loves blue color that red is actually the best one.

We can't provide counter-arguments to what people say now? Even when we get posts like Thorbrand's?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by Purutzil

I'm sorry, but people who buy into insane hype are what they are. Nobody asked them to. I am still not sure what hype are you even referring to.

This is WoW's replacement for explorers and questers. That IS what it is. It is the holy grail for those who want exactly that, it is the holy grail for myself and many others.

It is NOT a sandbox. Never in the hype did anyone say it is.

It is NOT a raider/endgame game. Never in the hype did anyone say it is.

For those two groups, it's definitely not the holy grail. In fact, I don't see why they'd be looking at it at all.

• RedempRedemp Hot Springs, ARPosts: 1,042Member

Sure after BWE 2 GW2 is just updated GW1 with Dumbed down TSW combat! Facts are the facts! Wish they had made the MMO they promised.

Your level of constant trolling is getting ridiculous. And they say its GW2 fans that are the only fanboys.....

Seriously play TSW...it has the same combat more advanced. GW2 after BW2 is a poor MMO very poor MMO. Don't blindly follow the masses.

I have done two BWE for both games and TSW is a way more advanced MMO in every way except PvP. If you have not played both games and judged them fairly who is the troll?

It really is getting to the point I'm going to have to ignore you Thor, you used to be a productive member of the community, and a respected OSG ..... but you're making us look bad. You are the polar opposite of a Fanboi ... every post contains something negative about Gw2. Reign it in a bit ...

Which is fine in this thread, as its a critque of Gw2.

Your level of constant trolling is getting ridiculous. And they say its GW2 fans that are the only fanboys.....

I have done two BWE for both games and TSW is a way more advanced MMO in every way except PvP. If you have not played both games and judged them fairly who is the troll?

Do you not get it through your head that not everyone shares your OPINION? That what you say is not FACT? Of course not, I forget fanboism blinds.

And yes, I have played both. Played GW2 betas and Im in the TSW CB.

• terrantterrant Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 1,683Member

I've played TSW. The pre-combat planning (skill decks and the wheel) is more involved, but combat itself tended to be "spam builder, fire off big hit" or "spam aoe until things stop being there". At no point did I feel challenged.

While TSW has an amazing sense of atmosphere and the "modern/horror" feel is nearly unique among MMOs, I felt combat  to be very dull. 

Originally posted by Xssiv

60 levels of WoW quests did just fine for WoW. MMORPG's do not thrive on amazing storytelling or gameplay, that is what single player games are for. MMORPG's thrive on doing those 80 levels of DE's together, running events, crafting, exploring caves.

But you wouldn't know anything about that. You're just a raider, aren't you?

• WolvardsWolvards grants pass, ORPosts: 650Member
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by HeroEvermore The art style and animations just ruin the game for me. Short and simple. Just 1 noobs opinion <3
    Art style is something that¨people can have different opinions of, but in general with the many prices that GW2 allready won to proove it, the majorrity of people adores the art style of GW2. But if you disagree, thats your opinion.   The annimations are technically the most advanced of any MMO to date, because they still allow total freedom of movement while battling while still feeling very natural to me. Could you please explain what exactly you dont like about the annimations?

So far, he's been this threads only  honest complainant.   He doesn't like the art.   He honestly admits that it's a personal preference.    I know where he's coming from.   No matter how many times I try to play WoW.   No matter the race, I get there by Level 10.   It's just too ugly, to me, to play.   Others love it.  I'm happy for them.

The rest of the complainants...   I just laugh.   Some of them would destroy the reachable market with unrealistic, computor crushing demands.   Not every MMO player has a top-end system, and what they ask for would require a top-end, not elite, but still top-end system.  The worst, IMO, are the ones hiding behind lazy, vague cliche' complaints  while screaming for innovation without making specific complaints or pointing these 'obvious' innovations that should be in the game.

Im pretty sure my opinions on the matter were honest :/

So far.   Which was to a post on page 1.   And I don't consider a complaint that is based on personal opinion presented as 'fact' to be honest.   You may not like the PvE combat system.  It's a personal opinion.  Saying it's 'trash' as if that were an unassailable fact instead of personal opinion is dishonest as you assign a false-certainty to your feelings about the matter.

De gustibus non est disputandum.   In taste there is no dispute.   Yet, in taste, there is also no honesty or truth.  It is purely subjective.    What is a masterpiece for one man is another's disaster.    How Picasso got money for all those paintings is beyond me...   I hate them all...

I do not assert Picasso was a hack and spam Picasso forums about how much he sucked and he'd have been good if he were Van Gogh.     I recognize his paintings were not for me.  I recognize many people believe him to be a great artist.    I do not trash his works on matters of personal taste.

And yet I read the complaints.   And, for the most part, they are not technical, measurable complaints.   They are complaints of taste disguised as 'unassailable fact'  which is then used to blugeon, mock and put-down others who disagree based on their taste in games without even the slightest self-awareness on the behalf of the complaintant.

Top notch post, and pretty much sums up everything i've read too. Big +1 to MosesZD.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

Originally posted by toddze

Well I am late to the dance:

But heres why I will skip GW2,

I dont see it keeping my intrest longer than a month because, I dont see anything to strive for. I am an old school MMO player I want super rare items, I dont want everything given out with minimal effort. Its not so much that I have to have the items, but the effort in trying to get them is what keeps me going. The problem with most mmo's these days is you reach the top of the mountian WAY TO FAST. When you get to the top theres nothing left to do but run around in your shinnies. There always needs to be something to strive for, to keep you going. This isnt just a gw2 problem this is a problem in all modern MMO's.

This sir, is one of the most understanding responses Ive seen in this thread.

Great response. Thanks for the input. I won't ask you to provide a game that does this because I can name dozens off the top of my head that have large gear progression lines. First off, I'll ask are you sure that GW2 doesn't have what you seek? There are legendary items to strive for in both PvE and PvP. I'll also inquire are you actually having fun grinding gear? Your response would have me assume so. In which case what is it about the current system in GW2 that does not fulfill your expectations? 

So far, the gear seems just as plentiful as in other MMO's. Your reliance on gear is less than other MMO's due to the combat system (dodging, utility skills, etc.) but the presence of gear does not seem to be diminished by this. To me it feels as though my reliance on gear is less but gear is still equally as important. I do not necessarily need the best gear to perform well but I still want it all the same. 

With each dungeon giving specific gear sets alongside PvP gear-sets and other special gear scattered through the world I doubt there will be any shortage of gear hunting at max-level. Of course its all speculation right now, but I don't see any reason to believe otherwise based off of what I've played. 

It does, in fact, seem to always give you something to strive for in the progression department. That being said GW2 was designed around the idea that it wasn't going to use tricks such as gear treadmills to keep people playing. You should be having fun first and foremost. I would encourage you to try it for yourself.

• XssivXssiv Haskell, NJPosts: 359Member
    Originally posted by Irus

60 levels of WoW quests did just fine for WoW. MMORPG's do not thrive on amazing storytelling or gameplay, that is what single player games are for. MMORPG's thrive on doing those 80 levels of DE's together, running events, crafting, exploring caves.

But you wouldn't know anything about that. You're just a raider, aren't you?

Here come the personal attacks.   You don't know me son so relax. 

• MadKingMadKing Pompano Beach, FLPosts: 173Member

Wow, surprisingly the more complaints I read in this thread the more entice I am to play Guild Wars 2.

Appearently Anet succeded in what they had planned in the first place. that is an MMO that is so different that those who are set in their old ways would scoff at the ideas put forward but attract those looking for something new.

• ThorbrandThorbrand West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 1,198Member
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by coretex666

Then suddenly several people who take any criticism towards this computer game personally came in and started to insult the people who expressed their opinions or to argue with them trying to prove them wrong. You cannot argue with someone's opinion. It is like trying to persuade a person who loves blue color that red is actually the best one.

We can't provide counter-arguments to what people say now? Even when we get posts like Thorbrand's?

[mod edit] I have 100s of hours on both games and a very strict critic for MMOs to come back good luck. I do believe MMOs should not be action adventures that have no MMO features. I want a true MMO by definition!

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Long Beach, CAPosts: 1,156Member
    Originally posted by LoveStone

Wow, surprisingly the more complaints I read in this thread the more entice I am to play Guild Wars 2.

Appearently Anet succeded in what they had planned in the first place. that is an MMO that is so different that those who are set in their old ways would scoff at the ideas put forward but attract those looking for something new.

Yes, it's so obvious that if one finds something they don't like about the game they clearly are too stuck in the "old ways" to understand the awesomeness of GW2   *cough /sarcasm cough* image

Do you not get it through your head that not everyone shares your OPINION? That what you say is not FACT? Of course not, I forget fanboism blinds.

And yes, I have played both. Played GW2 betas and Im in the TSW CB.

I'm not really looking for unashamed game plugging or frothing at the mouth.

I will try to piece together a civil reply that fulfills the thread outline.

-- "I didn't like the combat in GW2 because ... and I was hoping it would be more ... like TSW"

I placed "..." In all the areas where this response failed to provide specific examples.

Due to the response being too empty I can't really reply with any coherence. There's nothing here for anyone to reply to factually. There were no facts presented. If you want to contribute to the discussion please re-read what the thread calls for and repost.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by LoveStone

Yes, it's so obvious that if one finds something they don't like about the game they clearly are too stuck in the "old ways" to understand the awesomeness of GW2   *cough /sarcasm cough* image

Thanks guys but neither of these posts actually have to do with the topic at hand. Not trying to be off-putting, just trying to keep the topic on track as they are getting pretty wobbly.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Bellingham, WAPosts: 688Member

I think GW2 is the best themepark mmorpg I have played.  That being said there are some things I don't like.

1.  The combat.  It isn't much different than standard tab target WoW.  Dodging is a nice feature, but at it's core it is still just tab target hotkey cooldown crap, which isn't a very exciting system.  I would prefer something like AoC or TERA, OR a more MMOFPS style.  I just find it boring along with mmorpg's in general.

2.  Kill and Gather.  That is what most events have you do, just like your standard kill 10 wolf quests in other mmorpgs.  It is much better disguised.  Some of the events actually deviate from this which is cool, but most are just kill/gather.  More puzzles would make the game better.

3. Fast Travel.  It really kills the idea of a massive world. 

4. Exploration.  It is cool that the game rewards exploration, but the map makes it too easy.  I would prefer no map at all and a lot more maze like settings where you could actually get lost.  I realize that gamers nowadays may find that annoying, but I'd but up for that kind of challenge.

5 Open World PVP:  With open world pvp being limited to the PVP maps it may get stagnant.  I thought the WvWvW was fun but I could see it getting old.  I'd prefer being able to run into people in the open world and kill them.  I also think an FFA system would be a lot more fun that server v. server.  Then we would get Guilds actually fighting wars and would see politics in action.  In the current WvWvW you can't even see the names of enemies which kills any sense of rivalry.

6. No real death penalty.  While I do like the fact that GW2 will actually kill off characters occasionally, unlike other mmorpgs.  However, without a death penalty it is all kind of meaningless.

7. Economy.  I don't foresee a real economy in this game.  Only a few mmorpgs actually have real economies, while the vast majority have a gold sinking system.  The only way you get a real economy is when equipment degrades and eventually is destroyed OR in a player looting system.  When players keep there gear forever there is no demand. 

8.  Personal Story.  It was lame in SWTOR and it's lame in GW2.  Luckily for GW2 it is only a small part of the game unlike poor failed SWTOR.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• MattVidMattVid Terre Haute, INPosts: 399Member

People like to complain and find fault. Other people like to get all hyped up and defend the game they like to the death. Welcome to the world of MMO gaming forums.

I am fairly excited for the game, but am trying to keep the hype down. The more you build something up in your mind, the less fun it will be. I will play it and enjoy it for what it is. When I get bored, I will move on.

Even if it only holds my attention for a couple months, I still got more out of it than any other MMO I have ever purchased for the cost (simply because of no sub fee). Well besides, EQ, WAR, DAoC and FFXIV, got a lot of game time with those (a lot for free too).

All of the trash talking and hyping up happens with every MMO launch. People don't remember the SWTOR days of everyone talking about how next gen and amazing the game is? I was on the other side of the coin, making fun of how bored I was with it even after only getting to level 15ish. And now look at it ...

I still bought the game and played it because friends were, but I grew bored and "finished" with it in about 1 months time. We'll see how GW2 goes, but so far, it feels like the most polished MMO I have ever played, besides RIFT. It is just a game, and I hope I can enjoy it for some time. If not ... there are a million more coming out that I can try as well.

To each their own, no sense in trying to convince the ignorant or flame the fanboys. Just move along. If people hate the game so much, why are they on here every day posting about it? Why don't you post in a community of something you do enjoy, instead of trashing on something you don't like?

The things I don't like about the game ... but still plan on playing it:

-Teleporting around makes the world feel less massive and you lose immersion

-So much zoning makes me lose immersion

-I would like a slower leveling progression

-Would like not only more instanced PvP maps and modes, but also a tiered mode or boosted mode to use your actual character and your progression in the game

-More skills sets, or ways to possibly change out skills that are not simply linked to the weapons you are using ... I have a feeling it will get boring using the same 5 skills once you get spec'd down a certain weapon path.

-Ability to have different trait builds and gear, that you can swap to when you want. This would provide more dynamics and difference in play for a single player ... instead of having to pay a hefty respec cost just to try something new on a character.

-Hopefully WvWvW is balanced, the beta felt mostly imbalaned even after they changed the match ups. I am pretty sure I could write a better matchmaking algorithm than what they have currently. The biggest issue is population, currently. And most likely will always be the problem.

-Don't like all the competitive focus of the game, I want to play more in a world. I want PvP and things to actually matter and effect things. Not just give me some new costume to wear. The progression is kind of lacking at least from what I have heard. We'll see how it pans out.

Here come the personal attacks.   You don't know me son so relax. 

Calling someone a raider is a personal attack?

There's a very clear divide between themepark players.

There are raiders, and then there are people who play in the world during the leveling experience. When a person starts talking about how a certain questing experience will get boring, it's quite obvious they're not a fan of playing in the world, because those of us who are had to deal with sub-part questing experience for some time now, it doesn't drive us away from MMORPG's. Then the question is: what do they play MMO's for? There are two options, either they're a sandboxer, or a raider.

If you took a poll on all the critics of GW2, you'd see that they're all either raiders or sandboxers. Otherwise, the complaints make no freaking sense (seriously, I have not seen a single person say WoW is better).

Only a raider believes endgame = game. Only a raider talks about how you'll get bored in 2 months. Only a raider discounts all of the game except endgame. These complaints make no sense outside of raider mentality.