Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Thief Questions

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon

I havent had the chance to play the thief yet...

Seems like a lot of DPS to me... But did anyone try other builds?

-Support build, and how would a thief supprt build work?

-AoE keep defence build, and is it effective?

-High survivabillity build, and how does its survivabillity stack compared to other classes?

-Crowd controll build, and how did you execute it?

And how would these builds work in both PvE and PvP?

And why did you like or dislike your thief playexperience?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon

The thief got some pretty good insignias for support and certain combat skills that stuns or blinds the oppents so you can make a support thief, even though what I seen so far were a bit low on healing others. 

I never tried defending a keep with my their yet, so I can´t say that.

Survivability was no problem for me, but you use avoidance and stealth to survive, you wont soak much damage no matter what you do. Of the classes I tried (also ranger, warrior, necro and Ele) theif were the one that were most depending on your timing and fast thinking to survive, but once I got used to that I survived far better with the thief than any other class.

CC is usually stuff like you throwing gun powder and ignite it to blind the enemy, or to stun him in different ways but CC really isn't that common in GW2.

I aminly played PvE in the beta, I decided to save the mists for launch so I am not sure, but in PvE I used several fun builds with good resaults.

Thief is by far my favorite class so far. The initiative makes things rather tactical and you need to think fast all the time to survive. You must just try it. :)

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Fort Wayne, INPosts: 237Member

Well, to answer your last question, I think thieves need a third off-hand weapon, preferably one which has skills related to movement (shadowstepping would be nice).

I also think they need a utility skill that grants the swiftness boon.  They're a movement-based profession, and yet lack a triggerable movement speed boost, which seems like a rather large oversight to me.

I suppose ultimately the issue I have with thieves right now is that they seem to have a smaller pool of skills to draw from than any of the other professions, which really limits what sort of uses you can put them to.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wolfynsong

Well, to answer your last question, I think thieves need a third off-hand weapon, preferably one which has skills related to movement (shadowstepping would be nice).

I also think they need a utility skill that grants the swiftness boon.  They're a movement-based profession, and yet lack a triggerable movement speed boost, which seems like a rather large oversight to me.

I suppose ultimately the issue I have with thieves right now is that they seem to have a smaller pool of skills to draw from than any of the other professions, which really limits what sort of uses you can put them to.

Isnt that compensated by the initiative system, that allows more freedom in using the skills they do have?

There is allways going to be a class that has the smallest weaponskillpool.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Fort Wayne, INPosts: 237Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Isnt that compensated by the initiative system, that allows more freedom in using the skills they do have?

There is allways going to be a class that has the smallest weaponskillpool.

Sure, except that from a build flexibility standpoint, that makes the thief pretty well limited.  I mean, the Warrior can equip what... 13 different weapons?  That gives them access to more than twice as many skills, and twice as many options for making a build.