Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Closed Beta NDA Lifts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In case you've missed the posts on our Secret World forums, we want to remind players and fans of The Secret World that the NDA for closed beta testers has officially lifted. Keep an eye on our forums for player reports about their experiences in TSW!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

...and the truth shall set you FREE!!! O.K. guys, spill it. Were the combat mechanics better in Closed Beta? How was the PvP?

• sjoen7sjoen7 Member Posts: 6

Finally.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Would it be possible to combine the (now) 4 active threads for this?

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

- deleted

• Combat is better than a wow paladin

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

We had NDA till now? I didn't know lol and had posted on my blog already (in my sig). That said I am going to give them another try this weekend. So maybe dungeons will do it for me. Currently I displike the old school quests in the game. too many get X and goto Y. But combat is interesting.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by werewood

We had NDA till now? I didn't know lol and had posted on my blog already (in my sig). That said I am going to give them another try this weekend. So maybe dungeons will do it for me. Currently I displike the old school quests in the game. too many get X and goto Y. But combat is interesting.

What you talked about in your blog covered Kingsmouth which is basically what those who were in early beta weekend saw and beta weekend testers were not under NDA.

Closed beta testers however have full access to the game and we can of course log in any day of the week and therefore were still under NDA, heck we couldn't even say we were in closed beta. lol

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• TheOtterTheOtter Member UncommonPosts: 46

Yay! I can finally talk about some stuff sometime to someone! And yeah, weekend testers weren't under NDA.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Funny how it is just now lifted and release is within 2 weeks time. Ode to joy, deadlines :)
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by marz.at.play
    ...and the truth shall set you FREE!!! O.K. guys, spill it. Were the combat mechanics better in Closed Beta? How was the PvP?

PvP was quite epic lol, im not a pvp person but having 100 in once space was epic, and fluid.

Combat? I was never really keen on the active dodge...but it kinda grew on me. it wasnt until they took it away that i really missed it.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The problem is it isnt exactly entirely lifted.  You still cant talk about how the game used to be just how it currently is.  IE if you disagree with the changes over time to certain features that is still under NDA because you cant reveal how things were handled in say 0.7 or 0.8 only 0.9.  I guess there would be ways to sidestep that in some cases --especially where in the open beta it was shown as one can talk about that and contrast it...  In my case leave it to say that I think the 2.5 jump height they have currently is too low. 

As for the game itself I found it a roller coaster.  I had times I hated it and times I loved it.  Expect to go through a lot of ups and downs.  In the end I found the hard quests too hard and the easy quests too easy and was longing for inbetween.  It is definitely worth a playthrough.

Originally posted by centkin
    The problem is it isnt exactly entirely lifted.  You still cant talk about how the game used to be just how it currently is. 

Theres no problem, because that is in fact, irrelevant.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• eskelaeskela Member Posts: 39

I've been testing since January.

This game improved like hell. If they intend to keep half of that speed - noone should be worried about fails soon after launch. 

All those little stuff that people posted on closed beta forums, you can actually see them. Stupid quest tracker, changed, taking quests too limited, changed, combat slow, changed, we want rolling on floor, changed, blood magic too -something-, changed. But all this with some look from above and put in correct way, so nothing idiotic happen.

As a beta tester we had little part in this creation, some quest critics that were made, it was taken under consideration. I really appreciate that, usually game devs don't bother with ordinary people's opinions regarding some even crappy mood in some room. 

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

it's meh.

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Woot, can't wait to start playing for real.
  • GilwenGilwen Member UncommonPosts: 48

Hmm. Abilities are non responsive (you easily end up just smashing buttons to get your ability to go off), lots of bugs like swimming animations tend to bug about 75% of time.

There are levels needed for certain areas (quality levels of your items) and after doing area 1 1.5 times and area 2 1.5 times (all the quest NPC's and every mission I could find) I'm still holding mostly QL 4 and some QL 5 items and thus can't  solo the start of third area (really need QL 6 items there).

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

The problem is it isnt exactly entirely lifted.  You still cant talk about how the game used to be just how it currently is.  IE if you disagree with the changes over time to certain features that is still under NDA because you cant reveal how things were handled in say 0.7 or 0.8 only 0.9.  I guess there would be ways to sidestep that in some cases --especially where in the open beta it was shown as one can talk about that and contrast it...  In my case leave it to say that I think the 2.5 jump height they have currently is too low. 

Heh, good luck enforcing that image

Seems comical to me that they'd even feel the need to make that distinction.  What are they still trying to hide?  (Oops, not supposed to ask that)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Gilwen
    Hmm. Abilities are non responsive (you easily end up just smashing buttons to get your ability to go off), lots of bugs like swimming animations tend to bug about 75% of time.There are levels needed for certain areas (quality levels of your items) and after doing area 1 1.5 times and area 2 1.5 times (all the quest NPC's and every mission I could find) I'm still holding mostly QL 4 and some QL 5 items and thus can't  solo the start of third area (really need QL 6 items there).

Are you playing the latest build? its very clean.

Gear? go to Egypt budy, or farm inferno for lvl 5 gear, you know that "lvl 2 zone"?

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I suspect the gameplay of TSW is better than SWTOR, but I reckon they both have a short life-span game-wise. This is because TSW isn't currently built for longevity - the themepark rides run out after a couple of months, so I've read.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I suspect the gameplay of TSW is better than SWTOR, but I reckon they both have a short life-span game-wise. This is because TSW isn't currently built for longevity - the themepark rides run out after a couple of months, so I've read.

Go read something smarter, then. The lifespan of a game depends entirely on how fun it is.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Been testing for 6 weeks or so.

The pvp is pretty good, not as good as older games like daoc and planetside, but.... miles better than most current mmos e.g. wow, aion, rift, swtor.

Not as good as WvW, but.... perhaps can be when they slide the second warzone in. It already has the advantage of real rivalry and solid incentive to keep holding the facilities. But gw2 beats it due to scale and better siege mechanics.

Main problem with pvp, its a bit to fast, taking a facility is too easy, ttk is a little to short.

But make no mistake the game has a good pvp component. It's not some panacea of pve heaven for extra start people / pvp hell as some more annoying elements of the tsw community like to project.

Oh another good thing gear is gear, none of this wow style separate item sets bollox.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Would add, if you like WvW and are wanting something to play while waiting on gw2.

Tsw will more than suffice, don't waste your time on bobbins like wintergrasp.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Nitth

The problem is it isnt exactly entirely lifted.  You still cant talk about how the game used to be just how it currently is. 

Theres no problem, because that is in fact, irrelevant.

Would not be banned to speak about it if it would be iirelevant. Logic 101

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Irus
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne I suspect the gameplay of TSW is better than SWTOR, but I reckon they both have a short life-span game-wise. This is because TSW isn't currently built for longevity - the themepark rides run out after a couple of months, so I've read.
    Go read something smarter, then. The lifespan of a game depends entirely on how fun it is.

What a logical and thought-provoking rebuttal!

But seriously, I understand what Mors.Magne is saying- if you've played the game replayability on alts is seriously lacking. I've rolled alts to see different faction intros and played a bit in but the second time in Kingsmouth feels pretty grindy and I found myself skipping cutscenes I'd already seen.

I've not had a chance to play in the endgame but looking at what has been reviewed it looks like the only thing that strays from TOR is the PvP which there is bound to be some issues with because every MMO I've ever played has had PvP issues at some point.

PvE-wise longevity is going to depend entirely on how quickly TSW adds more content.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

This game is the perfect fix until GW2 releases. Cannot wait until Friday!!

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com