Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

try it with a gamepad

ululaulula Member UncommonPosts: 33

who as try to play GW2 with a gamepad ? i found the gamplay with my rogue so much easier with x360 gamepad except for AOE skill ( green circle ) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkQRfQ1kwfI

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Dont see how playing GW2 with a gamepad can be any good. Its just too much mobility, atleast in sPvP. Where you have to hold right mouse button pretty much all the time so you can kite around while aiming where you want. 

Would like to hear how you pulled it off though. 

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I tried that back in my WoW days.  It's just not effective when it comes to movement.  I can see how it would work better with GW2 with the amount of skills, but movement will be the same as WASD.  Tab targetting will work too, but there are many times where you want to click on a specific person/mob and that can be a hassle depending on how many people are on the screen.  

The only MMO I've played so far that works really well with a controller is DCUO, and that was built for the controller in mind.

• ululaulula Member UncommonPosts: 33

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I found it best with the controller.

right stick click = lock the camera

left stick click=dodge

dpad=f1-f4 

left trigger=shift for modifiers.

left bumper=switch weapons

a=jump

left trigger/bumper and x,y,b= 1-5 + shift for 6-0

back=left mouse button

forgot what I made start :D

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

on PvE gamepad can easy work, on sPvP tournaments no one will use it for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, ArenaNet should include gamepad compatibility as BlueHole with Tera.

so each player can choose how he want to play in PVE and PVP.

Originally posted by ulula

In my opinion, ArenaNet should include gamepad compatibility as BlueHole with Tera.

sure, more options is always good but a game that have a very strong component on sPvP dont see the point of that unless some guys dont expect do any sPvP and play especially with melee characters on PvE/ WvW

skill ground target and select X target is a nightmare with gamepad, much more slow compared with mouse.

is like play a FPS game on PC and play with gamepad when have much much more better tools available (mouse/keyboard)

Originally posted by p_c_sousa
    Originally posted by ulula

sure, more options is always good but a game that have a very strong component on sPvP dont see the point of that unless some guys dont expect do any sPvP and play especially with melee characters on PvE/ WvW

skill ground target and select X target is a nightmare with gamepad, much more slow compared with mouse.

is like play a FPS game on PC and play with gamepad when have much much more better tools available (mouse/keyboard)

Would agree when it comes to fps but gw2 is excellent with a controller. I had much better control over everything except the menus offcourse but not much of a problem in combat...

if you have already gamepad like X360 controller or PS3 DualShock try to play GW2 during the next BWE or stress test.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

It is playable with gamepad, but it is no where near naga + keyboard.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

When i read "gamepad", I thought simething like the G13 or the nostromo.  Just curious, has anyone figured out how you target the AoE stuff without a mouse?  I assume that the mouse is essentially locked in the center of the screen, so you just aim it like that.

BTW, the nostromo works great, but that is a little of topic.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    I actually had a blast using my razer hydra. Was a pain to setup but was a lot of fun and i didnt seem to sacrifice any competetiveness.
  • stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by bleyzwun

I tried that back in my WoW days.  It's just not effective when it comes to movement.  I can see how it would work better with GW2 with the amount of skills, but movement will be the same as WASD.  Tab targetting will work too, but there are many times where you want to click on a specific person/mob and that can be a hassle depending on how many people are on the screen.  

The only MMO I've played so far that works really well with a controller is DCUO, and that was built for the controller in mind.

Tera also is not bad with a controller, though like DCUO Tera also had it mind.

Originally posted by thedarkess

It is playable with gamepad, but it is no where near naga + keyboard.

may be but can you use it sitting comfortably in your couch ?

I use a switch/KVM to connect the computer to my tv, so i play PvE on my TV and sPvP on my PC.

BUT i must use a wireless keyboards because that F**** micro$oft don't provide PC driver for xbox 360 chatpad

I personally spend to much time with a mouse in hand already and have a nice callus on my wrist so the gamepad is more ecrgonomic for the hours I put in to gaming. I can def see how if you have a naga your good to go though.Aoe's are easily aimed ,just lock your camera centered and aim them fps style. I'm  playing tsw with a controler too.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

While trying that Tomb Raider clone dungeon during last BWE I thought more than just once: this would be way better with a joypad.

I think I will try to set my joypad up for this during the stress test.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Originally posted by ulula

gamepad has problems in tera too and is somewhat inferior IMO.  However sure if people want to use it they may as well support it.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Gamepads seem like they would be more of an annoyance than anything (just go grab the new Logitech MMO mouse). Seems you would have to keep switching back/forth between keyboard when wanting to talk. Seems rather annoying to me.

I don't really see the benefit either when I can just have everything on my mouse...?

Necro/ Element with lot of target ground skills will be a nightmare to play with gamepad. is just impossible o put the skill on ground where you want almost instantly with a gamepad.

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

Necro/ Element with lot of target ground skills will be a nightmare to play with gamepad. is just impossible o put the skill on ground where you want almost instantly with a gamepad.

don't spoil their hopes and dreams.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by UOvet

Gamepads seem like they would be more of an annoyance than anything (just go grab the new Logitech MMO mouse). Seems you would have to keep switching back/forth between keyboard when wanting to talk. Seems rather annoying to me.

I don't really see the benefit either when I can just have everything on my mouse...?

Everquest Online Adventures wasnt too bad. it was a ps2 game so controller was the only option(with keyboard support for chatting only) . There is a nice little qwerty keyboard that Sony has release(Microsoft probably has one too????) that connects directly to controllers for games where chatting is involved. Im sure if consoles have stufff like this then PC should have no trouble having the same setup if it doesnt already.

The only game ive played that i would care to try using controller over mouse/kb so far is DCUO as far as mmos go but having that option for those who like controllers is always a good thing.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I've been playing SWTOR since launch and all GW2 BWEs with xbox360 controller. Once you figure out how to set up the controls, it's a breeze. And it's much more ergonomic than mouse+keyboard, at least for me.

I can understand how somebody could think it's not natural, especially if that person never played RPG's on console.

If anybody would like some tips, feel free to ask.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I'd rather stick my foot in a meat grinder than play MMOs (and most PC games, in fact) with a gamepad.

I'd only use gamepads for fighting games, platformers and shoot'em ups.

Originally posted by itbewilly
    Originally posted by UOvet

Everquest Online Adventures wasnt too bad. it was a ps2 game so controller was the only option(with keyboard support for chatting only) . There is a nice little qwerty keyboard that Sony has release(Microsoft probably has one too????) that connects directly to controllers for games where chatting is involved. Im sure if consoles have stufff like this then PC should have no trouble having the same setup if it doesnt already.

The only game ive played that i would care to try using controller over mouse/kb so far is DCUO as far as mmos go but having that option for those who like controllers is always a good thing.

i don't know for PS3 chatpad but xbox 360 chatpad doesn't work on PC (f******* micro$oft)

@DeniZeg

can you share with us your xpadder configuration (screenshot or raw file) ?

;) look like ArenaNet is working on a gamepad compatibility (source)

"dug through the BWE3 updated files to find images of what looks suspiciously similar to an Xbox 360 controller buttons."