Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay a sub for GW2?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

We've all heard people say things like "Plus there's no sub, " or "Since I don't have to pay a sub." If GW2 was 15$ a month would you pay it?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Im not sure what is the point of the question.....image

but I would image

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Have a poll with that, bro.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Yep was adding it.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I put no because I dont feel a sub is warranted for any game theese days.

Personally I think much of the game's attraction lies in its payment model. It is a "unique selling point" for many people.

Originally posted by DaezAster

I put no because I dont feel a sub is warranted for any game theese days.

I mainly agree. It feels like a theft, especially with all the high quality f2p games and all single player games(some with coop) only have box price. Ive never actually liked subs. I would only pay a sub for a game I know I had to play.

Personally I think much of the game's attraction lies in its payment model. It is a "unique selling point" for many people.

now there are 2 polls?

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Add the sub and remove the cash shop and I'll play it.  As it is now I won't play it.  Too much pay2win aspect...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by bcbully

Yep was adding it.

Oops, sorry.

Yep was adding it.

Oops, sorry.

:) should be fine.

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Add the sub and remove the cash shop and I'll play it.  As it is now I won't play it.  Too much pay2win aspect...

I sincerely hope your joking. Else I've lost all hope in humanity. When you have a moment take a look at what is actually in the cash shop. Unless you consider a mobile bank Pay 2 Win.

There is absolutely no pay 2 win aspect of the game what-so-ever. Not only are the items mostly cosmetic and boosters you don't have to pay for them either. Granted the conversion ratio of gold to gems is low. None-the-less its there though. 

Furthermore, it makes no sense that you would pay a subscription and then not play a game that doesn't charge you one. Still, your choice I guess. I'd recommend you give it a chance though as its almost the opposite of what your saying.

On topic. I am also of the mind that no MMO is worth a subscription anymore. Still, if I was going to pay a subscription it would be for this game. I haven't had such fun in an MMO for years.  

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

We've all heard people say things like "Plus there's no sub, " or "Since I don't have to pay a sub." If GW2 was 15$ a month would you pay it?

I voted yes, but only because what you are really asking is whether GW2 is WORTH $15 a month.

I feel I must add to this, by saying that GW2 is a game that is completely designed around the fact that it DOESN"T have a sub fee, and that they KNOW that players will pay money for cosmetic items, and therefore have no reason to create a system where paying money grants you some actual and required advantage.

GW2...no sub fee...it means that you can play as casually as you like, or as much as you like.  You don't have to worry about whether you like the game enough to keep paying a sub fee.  The game really doesn't have a free to play or item mall feel to it, and neither did GW1.

One thing to think about, though, is whether any game that wants to be an eSport would work with a sub.  I don't think that a sub fee and eSports work together, but that might just be because I have developed an expectation based on previous games that eSports shouldn't have subs.

Last note:  This pole is worthless, as it asks a question about something that isn't going to happen.  As anyone who knows a bit about economics should know, economics experiments only work if the test subjects' choices are fueled by real money.  If real money is on the line, your results will be truer than they would be without...

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Nightverge

I sincerely hope your joking. Else I've lost all hope in humanity. When you have a moment take a look at what is actually in the cash shop. Unless you consider a mobile bank Pay 2 Win.

There is absolutely no pay 2 win aspect of the game what-so-ever. Not only are the items mostly cosmetic and boosters you don't have to pay for them either. Granted the conversion ratio of gold to gems is low. None-the-less its there though. 

Furthermore, it makes no sense that you would pay a subscription and then not play a game that doesn't charge you one. Still, your choice I guess. I'd recommend you give it a chance though as its almost the opposite of what your saying.

On topic. I am also of the mind that no MMO is worth a subscription anymore. Still, if I was going to pay a subscription it would be for this game. I haven't had such fun in an MMO for years.  

I gree there 100%. I just wont enertain the notion and give them any ideas!!!

• sapheroithsapheroith Member Posts: 116

I guess you are not playing Diablo 3 then.

On topic: I will pay depend on the overall quality of the final product..

WOW: The Most Well Known Non-Free Non-Browser Client-Based 3D Fantasy MMORPG In Some Parts of the World.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Vote for "Yes" because:

- Nice GFX without ANY Lag in Mass PvP (WvW)

- Nice and action based Game

- So many "tiny" things which makes play by far more fun (sry List would be to long tho)

- As with not having a bunch of quest's, i feel realy free within the World to do what I WANT

So in general, yes i would pay it. But i found it nice to spare the Money, and invest it in the Shop IF i want to do so, which gives also more freedom. It all depends on me and not at the game itself or the company behind.

And is there something better as play without any pressure? Play because of playing?

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I voted yes, only if they removed everything except cosmetic items in cash shop though. I much prefer a sub to the current CS.

I believe GW2 could get a very large playerbase and do well with box price + payed expansions + purely cosmetic CS, that would be my preferred model for it.

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Sub games are so 2011.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i say "NO" because i dont have the money to spend each month on a game.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I definitely wouldn't play it with a sub, no. The game is decent but based on what I've seen a sub of that height would make it too expensive to be worth it.

It's a casual game with a payment model for a casual game.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I would pay a sub, like I have for many MMORPGs, but then I wouldn't log on whenever I feel like it. I'd probably pay a subscription fee, play like crazy to get the most bang for my buck, and just burn out.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

No, because I can't afford it. 15 dollars in my country is too much (at least for my wallet). HOWEVER, if I was rich, then yes, I would definitely pay sub for GW2, because it's a fun game.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

NO

And not because the game isnt worth it but the simple fact is the developers are not making a sub based game so why hose myself any more then I need to.  I tell you what if you must insist that you pay for GW2 you can gladly paypal me $15.00 a month if it makes you feel better.

Besides I dont deal in hypotheticals only absolutes.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

No I wouldn't. Not the game doesn't deserve a sub and other games do, but because I simply wouldn't have lookded at this game in the first place. A lot of the initial attraction for people is that GW2 doesn't require a sub or constant cash shop purchases.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

i dont beleive in subs