Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coin lock = loose accounts

thatkenguythatkenguy Member Posts: 58

I can't believe the Rift developers implemented this coin lock idea.  Being careful, I used a web-mail address which is hard for anyone else to compromise, then by the time this silly coin lock thing comes up I have forgotten the password and can't get the e-mail code they send you so you can turn it off.

I am sure this won't bother everyone, but I have no doubt that game will remain relatively underpopulated when they play games like that with their users.  Thank god I didn't spend money on Rift hehe.

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

huh?

you lost me...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DwigoDwigo Member UncommonPosts: 51

It is not really their fault that you gave them an e-mail address to which you don't remember the details to?

• i may be lost here, but you're upset at Rift because you forgot your email password?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

huh?

you lost me...

He created and used an email account that he can't remember the password for. He's blaming Trion for not allowing him to recover his unused account because he can't access the email address account informat he used with them.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

You mean 'lose' and not 'loose' right? It really is important to use the correct word, or people will wonder how to get a 'tight' account.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by grunty
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

huh?

you lost me...

He created and used an email account that he can't remember the password for. He's blaming Trion for not allowing him to recover his unused account because he can't access the email address account informat he used with them.

oh now I understand

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SpankthetoadSpankthetoad Member UncommonPosts: 83

I am glad they are doing the coin lock :).   I just hit control -Esc, Go to my email and get the number they sent and go back to the game and put it in.  Takes all of about 1 min to do.   Rift has no Gold spammers that i have seen in a long long time.  Plus i really don't have to worry about my account being hacked as much as i did in Wow.   I like the idea that they care about that personally . 

Spankthetoad

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

coin lock is fine, was actually one of Trions better ideas, done with quick turn around.

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

I no longer play rift, but it used to piss me off to no end when I would have to log out and check my email for the coin lock code... especially since I also used a moble authenticator  o_0

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

Use Gmail and the free google authenticator. Problem solved

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by PK4TW

I no longer play rift, but it used to piss me off to no end when I would have to log out and check my email for the coin lock code... especially since I also used a moble authenticator  o_0

Why would you log out?  Alt+tab is your friend...

OT:

My account is pretty tight even with coin lock.  Sorry your account is loose OP.  I hear loose accounts are more fun though, kinda like loose women.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont play Rift but i log in with my lvl 18 toon sometimes to chat for a while since its free upt to lvl 20. This month i have changed my password like 3 times because i keep forgetting them. No big deal.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by thatkenguy

I can't believe the Rift developers implemented this coin lock idea.  Being careful, I used a web-mail address which is hard for anyone else to compromise, then by the time this silly coin lock thing comes up I have forgotten the password and can't get the e-mail code they send you so you can turn it off.

I am sure this won't bother everyone, but I have no doubt that game will remain relatively underpopulated when they play games like that with their users.  Thank god I didn't spend money on Rift hehe.

Actually, it was a brilliant idea.

As to your issue: create a new e-mail address and change the e-mail address in your Rift account profile. You may need to contact CS for the latter, I guess.

It takes one to know one.

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC
    Originally posted by PK4TW

Why would you log out?  Alt+tab is your friend...

OT:

My account is pretty tight even with coin lock.  Sorry your account is loose OP.  I hear loose accounts are more fun though, kinda like loose women.

^^ thats what I meant :)

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

OT:

*smack

*smack

*smack

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

From Trions point of view, creating dummy email accounts is exactly the sort of thing scammers would be doing and it's exactly what they're trying to stop.

I had no issues with coin lock when I played Rift, yes it is a nuisance when it comes up but blaming Trion because you've forgotten how to access the email address you gave them is...hmm, how can I put this without sounding condescending or insulting? Well, I guess there's no way to avoid it is there, it's pretty damn stupid!
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

So you just got access to someone elses account and subtly want tips on how to evade the coin lock feature.

You should be banned from mmorpg.com to be honest.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I have seen people post your problem on the official forums.  They have the problem was quickly solved by calling Trion Customer Support.  It would probably not take you much more time to get your acct transferred to a new email  than it took to make this post.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212

Coin lock is great.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Dwigo

It is not really their fault that you gave them an e-mail address to which you don't remember the details to?

Originally posted by Dinasty

Coin lock is great.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I can't believe the Rift developers implemented this coin lock idea.  Being careful, I used a web-mail address which is hard for anyone else to compromise, then by the time this silly coin lock thing comes up I have forgotten the password and can't get the e-mail code they send you so you can turn it off.I am sure this won't bother everyone, but I have no doubt that game will remain relatively underpopulated when they play games like that with their users.  Thank god I didn't spend money on Rift hehe.

So...what game would you not have problems with if you forgot how to access the primary email account you used to set up the game?
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

coin lock is the best security feature to be added to the mmorpg market since passwords!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Yes it's Trions fault you cannot remember the email logon and password that you registered the game to.   Your complete failure to understand the "Coin Lock" is to prevent logon form seperate IP addresses and thus save you the user a hacked account which you would have posted here to bitch about.

I've had "Coin Lock" come up many times as I have a travelling gaming laptop difference is I remember my email information.

WTF is the hehe for?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

coin lock is the best security feature to be added to the mmorpg market since passwords!

I agree. I spent hours (not exaggerating) with blizzard on the phone trying to recover my account and gear on several occasions. I did wind up purchasing the blizz authenticator and that fixed that. This coin lock is simple, free,  and only takes a second to complete.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.