Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Cures "Game Burn In"

Comments

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hi guys, cleaning up the derail. Please remain on topic here on out. Thanks!

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by TheTrueKing

I think he's actually talking about the-monsters-from-under-the-bridge that consistantly feel the need to come to every positive post and review on GW2 and post nonsense like "hype" or "g4m3 suxxors to da maxxors" or the lie that "shops are all evil and will be the cause of the end of the world on dec 21 2012". you know what i'm talking about. It does get old. People can't even come to the forums to discuss games in a passive way anymore to help spread information amongst the community because the posts suddenly become swallowed whole by people who aren't trying to help, they are trying to sabotage the forums for whatever reason.

True, hate and troll filled threads are bad, for any game, but extreme fanboy one are better because? So, people can't discuss things in negative light, but making moronic threads liek "OMG GW2 is so freaking awesomesauce that i can't enjoy Rift and other mmo's. it just shows how amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing GW2 is. Does anybody else want to agree with me on how amaaaaaaaaaaaazing GW2 is?" "OMG i sooooooooooo agre with you." "Let's talk about how amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaing and better than other mmorpgs GW2 is".

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Amana

Is this thread sponsored? No idea what all the deleted posts said but find it hard to believe there was absolutely nothing of any merit in any of them. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nomis278
    Originally posted by Amana

Is this thread sponsored? No idea what all the deleted posts said but find it hard to believe there was absolutely nothing of any merit in any of them. 

Those deleted posts where mostly personal attacks on posters, about peoples attitude.

You didnt miss a thing

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

wow lots of mod editing in this thread...I wonder what the silenced ones were saying...

OP love your take on thinges...your points are spot on and I agree these dynamic events are what make the game interesting to me.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Nevulus

I think he's actually talking about the-monsters-from-under-the-bridge that consistantly feel the need to come to every positive post and review on GW2 and post nonsense like "hype" or "g4m3 suxxors to da maxxors" or the lie that "shops are all evil and will be the cause of the end of the world on dec 21 2012". you know what i'm talking about. It does get old. People can't even come to the forums to discuss games in a passive way anymore to help spread information amongst the community because the posts suddenly become swallowed whole by people who aren't trying to help, they are trying to sabotage the forums for whatever reason.

True, hate and troll filled threads are bad, for any game, but extreme fanboy one are better because? So, people can't discuss things in negative light, but making moronic threads liek "OMG GW2 is so freaking awesomesauce that i can't enjoy Rift and other mmo's. it just shows how amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing GW2 is. Does anybody else want to agree with me on how amaaaaaaaaaaaazing GW2 is?" "OMG i sooooooooooo agre with you." "Let's talk about how amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaing and better than other mmorpgs GW2 is".

Actually i read that one and it wasn't like that, it was however pointing out how cookie cutter the entire industry is now and how since GW2 is not like the others, is bringing a fresh new gameplay and ALSO as a bonus making players demand more even from Trion which i thought was doing a good job putting stuff out. It is amazing really how much one developer team has influenced the market with one title. Should start changing the entire genre now. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually i read that one and it wasn't like that, it was however pointing out how cookie cutter the entire industry is now and how since GW2 is not like the others, is bringing a fresh new gameplay and ALSO as a bonus making players demand more even from Trion which i thought was doing a good job putting stuff out. It is amazing really how much one developer team has influenced the market with one title. Should start changing the entire genre now. :)

It is hardly the first time that have happened, even if games that affect the market have been away for a while now.

Games like meridian 59, Asherons Call, Everquest and Wow all did great impact on the market and affeted other games.

More surprising is that games like UO and DaoC had so little impact on other games.

But I frankly hope that if GW2 changes the market it will be because devs realize that just copying eachother straight on is a path to failure, not success. I am sadly 99% sure that it instead just will lead to lazy devs cloning GW2 instead of Wow, EQ or M59 as they have done for the last 15 years.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Totally agree with the OP.

I had a similar experience. Started playing in the human starter area and was following the hearts around and doing the quests that come with them, and occasionally running into dynamic event... nothing new.... but still fairly enjoyable.

When I got out into Queensdale I started doing the same thing, but then something strange happened. I kept running into all sorts of cool little things, just while running around, and kept getting distracted... but those cool little things kept leading to other cool little things and eventually I realised that THAT was the way to play GW2.

GW2 is all about exploring the world, and experiencing the things that are going on in that world, not just running from quest ib to quest hub to do quests. If you just run from one heart to the next completing quests you will miss out on SOOO much

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Dunno what all the censoring is about (probably trolling / flaming), but anyway, just wanted to say I'm glad it finally clicked for you. It's awesome seeing stories like this, and even though I've seen quite a few, they are all somewhat unique. For some people it's stumbling on a Dynamic Event, for others it's the realization that they don't need to just do one thing, or finding that epic jumping puzzle they didn't even know the game had, or finally seeing how combat gets difficult if you take on the more challenging fights.

I won't claim that the game is for everyone, because it's not; but I do agree with the OP and think that it is a very well constructed post. A lot of people do have presumptions and misconceptions hardwired into their subconcious. Whether they actively know this or not, many come into GW2 expected a different game.

I do think the game is worth at least trying, but only if you are actually going to give it a real shot, and not just play it like you played WoW for the passed 7years. I see too many people who hop in, touch a few heart quests, and then claim 'whelp I played it, game sucks', and never give it a second thought. I'm not sure I really want those people ingame, but either way they are not getting anywhere near the true GW2 experience to make an educated decision about whether or not they actually like the game.

I also know for some people, choosing the right class, or the right weapon was also a big factor. Some people went with a ranger, when what they were really looking for was an engineer, or a warrior. This may be a turnoff to some people, but you do have to go in fairly open minded, not expecting to like any one particular thing. It really does work best when you stumble along and then discover something you like, rather than go in and say 'oh, this is going to be my thing' and then discover maybe it's not.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

We've all been here.

We find one or two games we enjoy for years, and when we're done after those, we can't find a game worth playing. Often times, something fascinates us for a few weeks or few months but then it becomes dry.

I think it's a bit early to say GW2 has the answer to this since the game isn't even released.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Its nice to see people finding games they like. Especially a new mmo home. I get the same feeling from TSW. Cheers everybody! :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Loke666

It is hardly the first time that have happened, even if games that affect the market have been away for a while now.

Games like meridian 59, Asherons Call, Everquest and Wow all did great impact on the market and affeted other games.

More surprising is that games like UO and DaoC had so little impact on other games.

But I frankly hope that if GW2 changes the market it will be because devs realize that just copying eachother straight on is a path to failure, not success. I am sadly 99% sure that it instead just will lead to lazy devs cloning GW2 instead of Wow, EQ or M59 as they have done for the last 15 years.

I've already seen this happening in other games. Taking some of the features from GW2 and just retrofitting them in, without any real need or reason too. I've seen the 'F to revive' feature in Firefall, the dodge mechanic (done poorly) in TSW, the events system slapped into D3 (again for no reason), The dual weapon skill system, etc. etc. So far they've been pretty minimal additions, but I really hope that doesn't become a new trend. Anet has already come out and basically stated 'the reason why we think this is going to work, is because we're going all in. We aren't taking half measures. The changes we are making we've designed the entire game around.' And I think that's a pretty important lesson to take home. A lot of 'game designers' seem to have forgotten the design aspect when it comes to MMOs. They are basically generating content, and plopping in things that sound cool, without putting much thought into what they are actually trying to accomplish in their games, and what systems work for and against that goal.

Also, the reason why UO and DAoC had such a small impact, was because they basically did the same thing as Anet, before their time. Both games were designed, in their entirety, around a specific design principle. As such, both games had mechanics that worked really really well, and people loved them. However, both games have had a number of attempts to mimick them after their initial success. However, what happened was instead of trying to design a new game around the same principles, companies tried to take the mechanics, and modify them for their new game. That almost never works in and of itself, and is why you have so many games that have failed, while trying to emulate those 2 games.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

The op is right however GW2 is a long ways yet for being a immersive world. It is still pretty boring and dead to play in with a few fun facts in the zones. The PvE isn't up to par with the great games and the Heart Questing zerging isn't really all that thrilling either. It needs more life, better AI and to be a more living world.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Its nice to see people finding games they like. Especially a new mmo home. I get the same feeling from TSW. Cheers everybody! :)

I think thats awesome you cured your "Game Burn In" with TSW, I'll be retesting this weekend.  Excited and anticipating some of the changes FUNCOM stated.  I too am hoping to find that feeling within TSW because I aboslutely am intrigued by the world and lore.  

I'd be interested in hearing your story as to the experience that changed that "Game Burn in" for you within TSW but that would derail this thread at the moment. Maybe if you have already written your experience on the TSW sub forum?  if not I'd encourage you to do so, I'm sure more then just myself would be interested in reading it.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by DannyGlover Its nice to see people finding games they like. Especially a new mmo home. I get the same feeling from TSW. Cheers everybody! :)
    I think thats awesome you cured your "Game Burn In" with TSW, I'll be retesting this weekend.  Excited and anticipating some of the changes FUNCOM stated.  I too am hoping to find that feeling within TSW because I aboslutely am intrigued by the world and lore.  

I'd be interested in hearing your story as to the experience that changed that "Game Burn in" for you within TSW but that would derail this thread at the moment. Maybe if you have already written your experience on the TSW sub forum?  if not I'd encourage you to do so, I'm sure more then just myself would be interested in reading it.

A lot of the reasons why I like TSW are similar to why a lot of people like gw2. It really just boils down to personal preference, but the result is the same: having a fresh perspective and enjoying some good mmo gaming again

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by DannyGlover Its nice to see people finding games they like. Especially a new mmo home. I get the same feeling from TSW. Cheers everybody! :)

A lot of the reasons why I like TSW are similar to why a lot of people like gw2. It really just boils down to personal preference, but the result is the same: having a fresh perspective and enjoying some good mmo gaming again

Well said. We need more games that try to be different.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

The op is right however GW2 is a long ways yet for being a immersive world. It is still pretty boring and dead to play in with a few fun facts in the zones. The PvE isn't up to par with the great games and the Heart Questing zerging isn't really all that thrilling either. It needs more life, better AI and to be a more living world.

I was like "Oh man what is this guy talking about!?" and then I realized it was Thorbrand so I let it go ;p

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by xposeidon
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

I was like "Oh man what is this guy talking about!?" and then I realized it was Thorbrand so I let it go ;p

LOL Yeah, he is to GW2, what Elikal is to SWTOR ;)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

Why the hell are people going crazy on this forum for a game they haven't even had a week of play time with?  I'm looking forward to it too, but you guys are going a bit far saying how this game is changing stuff when it isn't even out.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by tollbooth

Why the hell are people going crazy on this forum for a game they haven't even had a week of play time with?  I'm looking forward to it too, but you guys are going a bit far saying how this game is changing stuff when it isn't even out.

I guess I'm going crazy because after testing other games, I could list a long line, I felt "Game Burn In" and thought my gaming career was over.   if you took the time to read the OP you might have some insight as to why I am personally going "crazy" for this game. 

Maybe just maybe some of us have seen the light and realized its the second coming, revolution, mary magdalin mayan end of the world..... no some of us just realised how awesome the game is in its current state and if this is only 10%-15% of what I experienced then I can't wait to see what the rest 85%-90% has to offer.

So many people say "Its not out" or "You haven't spent enough time" That is assuming that people can't think reasonably for themselves and can't decide if something is good or bad or amazing unless they spend a certain number of hours / days / weeks.... There are certain individuals, like myself, who do enough research and know themselves well enough to realistically expect something from a game within certain periods of game play.

Personally I think anything over 40 hours of game play is long enough for me personally to determine if I have a future within a game.  That being said I have nearly 95+ Hours of play time within Guild Wars 2  thats 4 full days of play time total not periods of days FULL 24 hours x 4 days.   Maybe thats not enough for some but that certainly has been enough for me to determine that I can go CRAZY about Guild Wars 2 and not be disappointed.

It may not be out and we may not have had a full 7 days 24 hours x 7 of game play but seriously In no game I've played in the past 12 years has offered me the experience and adventure that this game has offered during my BWE game time.  So if it has done this much for me within the 95+ hours I've played and ends there, I'm satisfied and my money was well spent.  But I know it wont end there and will continue next BWE and past Launch.

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by tollbooth

I guess I'm going crazy because after testing other games, I could list a long line, I felt "Game Burn In" and thought my gaming career was over.   if you took the time to read the OP you might have some insight as to why I am personally going "crazy" for this game. 

Maybe just maybe some of us have seen the light and realized its the second coming, revolution, mary magdalin mayan end of the world..... no some of us just realised how awesome the game is in its current state and if this is only 10%-15% of what I experienced then I can't wait to see what the rest 85%-90% has to offer.

So many people say "Its not out" or "You haven't spent enough time" That is assuming that people can't think reasonably for themselves and can't decide if something is good or bad or amazing unless they spend a certain number of hours / days / weeks.... There are certain individuals, like myself, who do enough research and know themselves well enough to realistically expect something from a game within certain periods of game play.

Personally I think anything over 40 hours of game play is long enough for me personally to determine if I have a future within a game.  That being said I have nearly 95+ Hours of play time within Guild Wars 2  thats 4 full days of play time total not periods of days FULL 24 hours x 4 days.   Maybe thats not enough for some but that certainly has been enough for me to determine that I can go CRAZY about Guild Wars 2 and not be disappointed.

It may not be out and we may not have had a full 7 days 24 hours x 7 of game play but seriously In no game I've played in the past 12 years has offered me the experience and adventure that this game has offered during my BWE game time.  So if it has done this much for me within the 95+ hours I've played and ends there, I'm satisfied and my money was well spent.  But I know it wont end there and will continue next BWE and past Launch.

Well spoken :) +1

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

It is great you found a game to truly be excited about. I get that feeling sometimes, but after a month or 2 it is gone, heh. That is the true test for me, 2 months of play.

The first day, I can usually tell if I even like a game, but still give it another day or 2. 2-4 weeks is another threshhold for me. If I play for 2 months and STILL like it after that 2nd month, it is usually a keeper for at least 6+ months.

Unfortunately nothing for me ever passes the first month anymore, heck, rarely get passed the first few days lol.

Hopefully GW2 doesn't lose its luster after a few weeks. I am curious what people who were really enamored with gw2 will think after 2+ months.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Vynt

It is great you found a game to truly be excited about. I get that feeling sometimes, but after a month or 2 it is gone, heh. That is the true test for me, 2 months of play.

The first day, I can usually tell if I even like a game, but still give it another day or 2. 2-4 weeks is another threshhold for me. If I play for 2 months and STILL like it after that 2nd month, it is usually a keeper for at least 6+ months.

Unfortunately nothing for me ever passes the first month anymore, heck, rarely get passed the first few days lol.

Hopefully GW2 doesn't lose its luster after a few weeks. I am curious what people who were really enamored with gw2 will think after 2+ months.

Thats not an issue with the game, sounds like attention deficit.  I dont think GW2 is going to be any different for you, but still would recommend getting that 2 months in.  Still a better deal than a stand alone console title.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by Vynt

Thats not an issue with the game, sounds like attention deficit.  I dont think GW2 is going to be any different for you, but still would recommend getting that 2 months in.  Still a better deal than a stand alone console title.

Don't really think it is attention deficit, more like boredom with shallow gameplay lacking choices. Also my comment wasn't on the merits GW2, whether I will play it or if I even think it will be worthwhile for me. I've spent several years on multiple games, eq, daoc, and quite a bit of time on others like ao, wow, eq2, sb, even had a decent amount of time with warhammer, so sticking with something is not a problem.

Frankly I've gotten bored of most of the newer MMOs that come out. I have even gone back to EQ and been on it for about 8 months (with a few breaks). While I am having some fun in an older title, I would like to find something new, that can sustain me for a while. I would still be playing daoc, but I can't get over the movement, ugh. It was fine for all those years, but once I played MMOs later than had such fluid movement, just couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Personally I don't think GW2 will be that game for me, but going in with low expectations is usually better because I will have a better chance of being pleasantly surprised.

Of course my original comment was merely to state good for the OP finding something, but not to get too excited because so many games these days fall short after a month or 2, and I was just relating my own recent experience.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Gw2 gave me game withdrawel. It's been a long time since that has happened.