Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com getting payed for hypes still?

M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

why is this game on top of the hype list? theres no real news about the game and all of a sudden its on top of the chart. 

Comments

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Anormality of statistical charts.

Low numbers, high scores.

It isnt worth anything. But for a chart like at mmorpg.com they should maybe add a modificator based on number of votes.

Like 1000 votes are a modificator of 1 everthing above gets slightly better like 1.01 everything below gets les, like 0.99.

But nevertheless.. Never trust statistics you didn't fake yourself.

Edit: Just vote with 1 and the stats will go down tremendously

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Just that, an statistical abnormality. The same when a new game is added, it's not uncommon to suddenly appear at the top of the charts and then in a day or two go back to its normal place.

Also, they're using kickstarter to raise money for their project.. I doubt they have enough disposable income they're not funeling towards actual developing to pay review websites this early in production.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

Hype represents what people want, rather than what they get, or typically get. So a game potentially offering what this game offers is what people want, thus gaining an response appropiate to the desires of players.

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

Just that, an statistical abnormality. The same when a new game is added, it's not uncommon to suddenly appear at the top of the charts and then in a day or two go back to its normal place.

Also, they're using kickstarter to raise money for their project.. I doubt they have enough disposable income they're not funeling towards actual developing to pay review websites this early in production.. :)

well im sure you know, but the core mentality of getting your product out there is advertisement. Most companies invest a huge amount into advertisement, and I wouldnt be surprised that they used some of the kickstart money into fake hype advertisment on MMORPG.com

For example, I wouldve never heard of this game if it wasnt on top of the chart.  Now I do, and the dves probably hope that i might invest into their project by donating now that i ve seen it and got more info about it.

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385
    Originally posted by Sizzz

Hype represents what people want, rather than what they get, or typically get. So a game potentially offering what this game offers is what people want, thus gaining an response appropiate to the desires of players.

hype on MMORPG.com can never be trusted tehre have been numerous cases when a shit game was on top of the charts. LIke Gods and Heroes after it was resurected. wehre is it now?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by M4ko

well im sure you know, but the core mentality of getting your product out there is advertisement. Most companies invest a huge amount into advertisement, and I wouldnt be surprised that they used some of the kickstart money into fake hype advertisment on MMORPG.com

For example, I wouldve never heard of this game if it wasnt on top of the chart.  Now I do, and the dves probably hope that i might invest into their project by donating now that i ve seen it and got more info about it.

Heard about this game awhile ago, just because it is up there and you just saw it does not indicate some cash conspiracy...

"I never heard of this and now its on a website...that site MUST be getting paid..."  image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DaveBelcherDaveBelcher Member Posts: 40

We don't even pay our team of 50+ developers, so I don't know where you think we would get the spare money to pay for mmorpg.com hype bumps heh. The only thing affecting our hype are people excited about our game voting high, and people bitter about our game voting low. Nothing more, nothing less :)

• NefastusNefastus Member Posts: 71
    You guys are hilarious! As I'm typing, there are only 115 hypes casted for EoC and hype is based on average hype vote. Vast majority were casted by EoC community, and once again, there are only 115 votes as of the moment. Your conspiracy theories are funny and pathetic. Mind that almost 400 people donated to KS, so you may want to wait of with crying about hype until soon when we will get EoC to number one through community campaign

Nefastus - Enclave

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by M4ko

why is this game on top of the hype list? theres no real news about the game and all of a sudden its on top of the chart. 

You also say "stills" in the title. Mind dropping some proof that they are being paid to manipulate this stupid hype meter?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by DaveBelcher

We don't even pay our team of 50+ developers, so I don't know where you think we would get the spare money to pay for mmorpg.com hype bumps heh. The only thing affecting our hype are people excited about our game voting high, and people bitter about our game voting low. Nothing more, nothing less :)

This thread could easily go hand-in-hand with one titled: "MMORPG.com, haven for conspiracy theorists?".

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XeseXese Member Posts: 39

If you've been paying attention to trends, Embers of Caerus hasn't been getting a lot of press until the kickstarter where you reached their goal in like a ridiculously short amount of time. It was then that this game started getting hyped, and now predicably it is at the top of charts, again, due to low numbers of voters and high ratings due to high expectations at what this game delivers.

Especially since now the devs are pushing out some of the game details. I imagine it is getting hyped.

This game...dubious that cash is spent on advertising by pushing up the hype level.

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57

I find this thread thoroughly amusing. Paying for hype? Haha...

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

They hype meter doesn't work that way. Sometimes there have been glitches and deliberate efforts (which we've contacted companies about) but if you see anything truly unusual, then contact us about it and we can always look into it.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.