Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Open World PvP?

Comments

• WorIdEaterWorIdEater Member Posts: 4

This topic has gotten way out of hand. . .

My friends warned me not to post here but this is worse then I imagined. Can a mod please lock this?

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I don't really get what the complaint is. World vs. World vs. World is "Open PvP", or as close as it is going to get at this point. The lore and gameplay wouldn't cater well to PvP. Letting people run around ganking people doing DE's? That would be VERY counter productive and counter to what ArenaNet is trying to do with the PvE system. The last thing you need are players ganking people during boss fights with bosses that 1 shot you.

I just don't really see it working in the game. Call it carebear or whatever you want. If you had a brain larger han a size of a pea, you would see that the game design simply doesn't support it in the PvE world. The WvWvW seems fun when I have participated and will get my Open PvP urges fulfilled doing that, which I am very much looking forward to.

It does feel pretty zergy right now, but the BWE's have also been horribly disorganized and people running around in non-cohesive groups. When actual guilds start playing WvWvW and coordinating attacks and using actual strategy, I am sure that will change.

There are games out there made for ganking and being bad at PvP, go play those. GW2 feels much more like WAR or DAoC, with real organized open world PvP. Which is exactly what you are not looking for OP? You just want to gank newbs. Congratulations on sucking horribly at PvP, is all I can really say at this point.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by WorIdEater

My friends warned me not to post here but this is worse then I imagined. Can a mod please lock this?

Open World PVP is a sensitive topic with many supporters on BOTH sides, this discussion has been made on MMO forums before and will happen again as often as people request Open PVP in games that don't support it (and never will)

But you are right a lock is coming lol

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

I have not seen a post on topic here for the last few pages, hello MODS!!!!!!!!!

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Can someone post the picture with the  " We have an internet Badass over here"  ;  I feel its appropriate and don't have it on hand.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by LaZyBuTCrAzY

[mod edit]

The only one that ruined this thread is you lol (and some others that followed after you)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

HAHA!

This is exactly what you wanted, and your friends over at goonswarm probably love it.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

WvWvW should satisfy everyones thirst for open PVP, if you don't enjoy WvWvW then you are there just to grief and gank players that can't fight back.

its basically the same as DAOC, one of the best PVP game around, so again if this doesn't satisfy your PVP thirst, then you should probably go back and play whatever game you came from where you can gank "bluebies".

GW2 = open PVP without all the griefing and ganking BS.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by Ecoces

And that's one of the reasons why I love this game. I'm glad PVE and PVP are separated.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

Dunno if anyone has said this yet...but I, for one, am not scared that Arenanet doesn't balance PVP by launch or soon after. From all the MMOs ive played (and even class based FPS games), Guild Wars 1 is one of the most balanced PVP games there is...even with them adding skills every expansion pack and having 100s of skills available for each class.

So I think that Arenanet will get it right for Guild Wars 2 as well. And even if that takes a few months after launch, they'll still be ahead of balancing compared to other games.

As for PVP in the persistant world....I don't see how that would fit with lore or anything...and my opinion is that open world PVP was never that great (very unimaginative) in most MMOs (WoW's WAS great, but now there isn't much reason to explore the world, no world bosses, very few rares to farm, etc--and so all open world PVP is now is ganking), whereas WvWvW gives a cool, explorable, battleground with many features, and constant impact on the persistant world....there is also a huge chance they will start adding events, other specials, expansion of the WvWvW stage. Its something new melded with old ideas, and I really like it and like the fact that they are trying new things :D

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

WvW is going to be unbalanced for the first few weeks as servers begin to be matched by their rank. Ther are going to be a bunch of landslides.

After the first month, you should be matched with servers of similar skill/dedication, though.

Didn't ANet say something about balancing the servers a bit more often right after release so that you don't have to spend the first couple weeks in unbalanced matches? Can't be bothered to look up the source as I'm supposed to be studying, lol.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ChillwolfChillwolf Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Vorch

WvW is going to be unbalanced for the first few weeks as servers begin to be matched by their rank. Ther are going to be a bunch of landslides.

After the first month, you should be matched with servers of similar skill/dedication, though.

Pretty much this.  Once the first few rounds of WvW shake out, servers will find themselves facing servers of equal pvp skill/population.  If they work the system right and I think they will WvW should be challenging after month or so.  The odds of one server steam rolling another should vanish with time if their system works correctly. 

Originally posted by dellirious13

As for PVP in the persistant world....I don't see how that would fit with lore or anything...and my opinion is that open world PVP was never that great (very unimaginative) in most MMOs (WoW's WAS great, but now there isn't much reason to explore the world, no world bosses, very few rares to farm, etc--and so all open world PVP is now is ganking), whereas WvWvW gives a cool, explorable, battleground with many features, and constant impact on the persistant world....there is also a huge chance they will start adding events, other specials, expansion of the WvWvW stage. Its something new melded with old ideas, and I really like it and like the fact that they are trying new things :D

WoW had open world PvP? The fact that people call it open world PvP and think that is great makes it pretty obvious to me that many people do not have the same definition of "good PvP".

Open World PvP in WoW and basically any game comes down to "Open World Ganking". When playing most of these games, the times where I actually felt like I was having a fun and evenly matched PvP experiece are next to none. It is either some monstrous 50 person zerg killing solo players, high levels ganking lower levels when they are killing mobs, or any combination or in-between of the above two. This isn't PvP, it is simply stupidity/bad/horrible PvP.

When I say "Open World PvP" I am talking about games like WAR or DAoC. Games where it is more structured, with objectives. Not just out to gank people who are not looking to PvP at the moment. Where your actions actually effect your world, which is persistent. It isn't about just ganking people with an overwhelming force of players or levels, it is actually mutually agree'ing to PvP against the other side. It is almost like a battleground, but not really. Simply entering an area with PvP objectives is agreeing to the fact you are KoS to the other faction(s).

There are still issues with population balance in this PvP, but in a 3 faction system, things start to get very interesting, very quickly. Once GW2 servers get balanced and matched up correctly, the WvWvW stuff should be amazing. Good open world PvP to me does not involved ganking at all. It involves strategy, flanking, sneak attacks, baiting, feinting weakness, strategic pushes and retreats, seige engine warfare, army movement and attack angles, timing, etc. If real Open World, Structured, Objective based PvP doesn't scratch your PvP itch, then you don't know what real PvP is. In turn, go back to ganking noobs in starter zones to make yourself think you are something you are not (good at PvP).

• VagabondLifeVagabondLife Member Posts: 91

Didn't ANet say something about balancing the servers a bit more often right after release so that you don't have to spend the first couple weeks in unbalanced matches? Can't be bothered to look up the source as I'm supposed to be studying, lol.

I forget also where I heard it, but it was something about having the matchups only last a few days at first, and then building up to the 2 weeks after the matchups were easier to figure out.

Originally posted by VagabondLife

I forget also where I heard it, but it was something about having the matchups only last a few days at first, and then building up to the 2 weeks after the matchups were easier to figure out.

I heard the same sort of thing, not sure from where though. Either way, it sounds like a good idea to me.

The main issue with WvWvW right now, during the BWE's is obviously population imbalances. Once this stuff is more evenly matched, it should be great fun as well as a challenge.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

If you wanna see how open world PvP ruined a great game. Look no further than AIon. If GW2 featured open world PvP I would have not even looked at it. I am a carebear and not afraid to admit it, but I do love me some WvWvW.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33

GW2= Carebear pvp.

Those thatr want a real living world pvp need to play a good sandbox like eve or  perpetuum.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

It has already been stated that the amount of work it would take to add open world PvP would be prohibitive, so basically it'll never happen. The game simply is designed completely differently.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VagabondLifeVagabondLife Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Twitchn

GW2= Carebear pvp.

Those thatr want a real living world pvp need to play a good sandbox like eve or  perpetuum.

If I wanted that then I would play those games. I do not want a "sandbox"....call me a carebear if you wish, I prefer my pvp GW2 style....K...Thanks.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by MattVid
    Originally posted by dellirious13

WoW had open world PvP? The fact that people call it open world PvP and think that is great makes it pretty obvious to me that many people do not have the same definition of "good PvP".

Open World PvP in WoW and basically any game comes down to "Open World Ganking". When playing most of these games, the times where I actually felt like I was having a fun and evenly matched PvP experiece are next to none. It is either some monstrous 50 person zerg killing solo players, high levels ganking lower levels when they are killing mobs, or any combination or in-between of the above two. This isn't PvP, it is simply stupidity/bad/horrible PvP.

When I say "Open World PvP" I am talking about games like WAR or DAoC. Games where it is more structured, with objectives. Not just out to gank people who are not looking to PvP at the moment. Where your actions actually effect your world, which is persistent. It isn't about just ganking people with an overwhelming force of players or levels, it is actually mutually agree'ing to PvP against the other side. It is almost like a battleground, but not really. Simply entering an area with PvP objectives is agreeing to the fact you are KoS to the other faction(s).

There are still issues with population balance in this PvP, but in a 3 faction system, things start to get very interesting, very quickly. Once GW2 servers get balanced and matched up correctly, the WvWvW stuff should be amazing. Good open world PvP to me does not involved ganking at all. It involves strategy, flanking, sneak attacks, baiting, feinting weakness, strategic pushes and retreats, seige engine warfare, army movement and attack angles, timing, etc. If real Open World, Structured, Objective based PvP doesn't scratch your PvP itch, then you don't know what real PvP is. In turn, go back to ganking noobs in starter zones to make yourself think you are something you are not (good at PvP).

True WAR and DAoC had better open world PVP than WoW...but i am talking vanilla WoW (and some BC), which had places like Silithus, which was basically an  open world PVP fight constantly. And many times you'd go with a group to the couple open world bosses and have to be prepared of opposing faction groups camping out somewhere near waiting to attack (i dont consider many vanilla fights to be ganking, because there wasnt nearly as much of the "im an 85 so ill camp out in Hellfire all day long every day kind of occurences :P)

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

You're a little late to that party aren't you?  This topic has been done to death (like most other topics about GW2).

Open world PvP would not work for GW2 for one simple fact:  Everyone is supposed to be trying to work together!  That is the way the story is set up.  Why would I want to work with you if you just tried to kill me?  Or if you killed my friend?  If the U.S. and China were trying to put aside their differences enough to cooperate to get rid of a greater threat, how willing would China be if the U.S. bombed one of their cities?  Or vice versa?

If you understand the lore of GW2 and think about it for just a minute, you will see why open world PvP has no place in the game.  If you want open world PvP, I suggest playing something else, like Eve.  (Which I hear is a very good game)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

WvWvW should satisfy everyones thirst for open PVP, if you don't enjoy WvWvW then you are there just to grief and gank players that can't fight back.

its basically the same as DAOC, one of the best PVP game around, so again if this doesn't satisfy your PVP thirst, then you should probably go back and play whatever game you came from where you can gank "bluebies".

This couldn't be more incorrect. You just don't get open world pvp aparently. And you are staggeringly wrong on your last point. 

I love open world pvp. I don't "gank" or "grief" other players. Never have, never will. I'm just not that kind of player. The reason I love open world pvp is because I like to fight other players. I also love questing. While I'm out questing, I like the feeling of danger that I'm not completely safe out there. For me, it adds to the game. Then you see the other player while your questing. The adrenalene gets going, you fight, you win, you loose, whatever... it's still fun for me. There are a lot of games that use questing to push two factions towards each other in the zones, so you're levels are usually on par. 

It's not all about ganking and greifing. People like you try to make it out that way, but it's just not true. Take Eq2 for example with open world pvp servers. They even capped the levels in zones to make sure there is no "griefing". I had a ball playing that too. Open world pvp can be fun and is in plenty of games. It also encourages you to join a guild and interact with others for protection if needed. 

Oddly enough... I have been playing WoW and Eq2 on and off for 7 years on pvp servers. I can count the number of times I've had "greifing" issues on one hand. 

WvW is just a big battleground. Call it what you'd like.. that's all it is. Saying it should satisfy everyone is just ridiculous. 

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

no there's no world pvp, this has been known for 3-4 years now.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Praetalus

This couldn't be more incorrect. You just don't get open world pvp aparently. And you are staggeringly wrong on your last point. 

I love open world pvp. I don't "gank" or "grief" other players. Never have, never will. I'm just not that kind of player. The reason I love open world pvp is because I like to fight other players. I also love questing. While I'm out questing, I like the feeling of danger that I'm not completely safe out there. For me, it adds to the game. Then you see the other player while your questing. The adrenalene gets going, you fight, you win, you loose, whatever... it's still fun for me. There are a lot of games that use questing to push two factions towards each other in the zones, so you're levels are usually on par.

There are dungeons and quests in WvW. It's essentially it's own seperate game. You can also collect crafting components, too.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2