Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NDA is lifted !!! ... and Fusang is epic !!!

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

The non disclusure agreement for The Secret World is lifted !

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=34099

And now we can talk about all the totally cute things in TSW like the open warzone Fusang Project.

Enjoy ^^

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Best PvP zone ever next to Altric Valley, but AV didn't have 3 factions image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I am with you, Fusang is a blast, looking forward to Headstart.

Overall the zones in TSW are very nicely done, and the fear that it would turn out like AOC where only the first zones were any good, can be put to ground.

The game is getting into better shape daily, and I for one cannot wait till headstart on the 29th.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by LaZyBuTCrAzY

So, how broken is the PvP?

Other than a few ability issues in some decks, the pvp is fine, the battlegrounds are divided into brackets that depend on your skill and QL level.

Overall I feel the game is shaping up nicely.

It's not.  New players will preceive imbalance due to their lack of knowledge. There is no way around it. You will bump your head.

Understand there is a counter to everything you see. Be that gear itemizationd, raw build, or skill. Go in to it with that mindset and  I promise you, you'll be better for it.

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's not. 

Well, many new players might find it broken at first - but when you start to get a hang of the skillwheel, it's actually quite good. And I'm not talking about understanding the skillwheel, as in having to use cookie cutter builds - but just understand the basics about synergies and such, will get you a long way.

Also the matchmaking is built upon SP/AP's used - so when you're a new player you'll face other new players, so people will get to learn the mechanics, before facing the tough builds later on.

Originally posted by Rightlov

It's not. 

Well, many new players might find it broken at first - but when you start to get a hang of the skillwheel, it's actually quite good. And I'm not talking about understanding the skillwheel, as in having to use cookie cutter builds - but just understand the basics about synergies and such, will get you a long way.

Also the matchmaking is built upon SP/AP's used - so when you're a new player you'll face other new players, so people will get to learn the mechanics, before facing the tough builds later on.

Yep yep, I added to my comment above ;) but you quite hand was too strong and you got me ;)

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362

My fav PVP zone, there was hardly any lag last time i tried it and that Golem is just epic ;)

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

It's not.  New players will preceive imbalance due to their lack of knowledge. There is no way around it. You will bump your head.

Understand there is a counter to everything you see. Be that gear itemizationd, raw build, or skill. Go in to it with that mindset and  I promise you, you'll be better for it.

I was referring more to Melee Vs Ranged. I have noticed melee barely has any gap closers, so how does it balance itself out?

Also, do you make anything but positive posts regarding TSW?

I find this funny.

Bcbully has access to beta and direct first hand knowledge and states it is good.

You have no knowledge and state it is bad.

And you call him up on being biased!!!! Please get back under the bridge!

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

I was referring more to Melee Vs Ranged. I have noticed melee barely has any gap closers, so how does it balance itself out?

This was one of the things I noticed as well.  I didn't search out the whole ring, but in the things I tested, there wasn't much to help if being ranged on in pvp.  I heard that pistol had some movement buffs, but haven't looked into them yet.  I will say a LOT of players I saw over BW3 were using an AR + something.  Made me wonder if they were BW3 first timers who just liked the AR or if people were testing setups for the upcoming pvp in BW4. 

Not a fan of how they are handling range in this game from a pvp standpoint so far.  But, I didn't get to mess with it enough to find possible counters either.  Zam needs a skill wheel page...

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41

How is the PvP setup? Is it open world, Warzone/battlegrounds type? I am very interested in this game beacause personally I think this game may change how MMO's do classes or in this case do without classes. Thanks for the info.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

There are enough of dashes, teleport to target or teleport target to you abilities. You can also go with a hybrid melee/ranged build to counter the ones countering your gap closing build. ;)

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I find this funny.

Bcbully has access to beta and direct first hand knowledge and states it is good.

Bcbully also has stated TSW has to best combat of any MMO. After seeing that it is difficult to take anything else he says at face value.

I don't know what bcbully is talking about in a zerg there are no counters to anything as many people run random builds today.

Maybe 10 years from now if they develop the combat bcbully will be right, but as of today when my riffle got nerfed to hades and stuns have 45 second cooldowns, and most skills are about the same +/- 5%.  no matter what I select I can do pretty well so to me it makes no diffrence.  I just need a single target builder, spender, single target AoE, after that it doesn't matter.

I'm in closed beta, if they reward every skill (active and passive)in the entire game then it would be cool.  I noticed active dodge got removed today.

Here is an exemple of a hard counter that does well versus all,  if I select AR I can strafe and run away while blasting, select a secondary with a run buff.  AR is the weakest weapon in the game today because it isn't casting crit, penetrate, dots, etc, it doesn't mater.  zerg vs zerg, counters become almost pointless.  In WoW 5v5 I ran into them but we could have went with a more stable team instead of a gimmick.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Byne25

How is the PvP setup? Is it open world, Warzone/battlegrounds type? I am very interested in this game beacause personally I think this game may change how MMO's do classes or in this case do without classes. Thanks for the info.

warzones and 1 open pvp area. no world pvp.

It didn't change the class system,  they let me pick one of three level 10 gear sets today, healing, damage, or tanking.  Gear determines class.  From open beta the holy trinity > all for PvE.  for solo or pvp I would say pick up some self heal ability though, but what game didn't give dps classes a heal ability.

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

There are enough of dashes, teleport to target or teleport target to you abilities. You can also go with a hybrid melee/ranged build to counter the ones countering your gap closing build. ;)

What trees were those in?  Honest question.   The only thing I saw in the shotgun tree was a backwards dash that wouldn't help much even if you followed it up with the snare as shotgun range is pretty short.  There was also the turret, but you'd have to kite them to that.  I didn't try it out to find it's range or such. 

[edit]  I'm not saying shotgun is completely worthless here, but alone it's definitely not great.  But, few weapons are by themselves.  Which is not something stressed well in the game itself.

I'm saying that, purely by it's superior range, AR has a distinct innate advantage over other ranged weapons.  It seems like that alone will cause it to be part of a lot of setups for pvp unless one of the "magics" offers the same range.  Or, the movement buffs counter that range that has no cd(AR range is always there/on)[/edit]

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by paroxysm

What trees were those in?  Honest question.   The only thing I saw in the shotgun tree was a backwards dash that wouldn't help much even if you followed it up with the snare as shotgun range is pretty short.  There was also the turret, but you'd have to kite them to that.  I didn't try it out to find it's range or such. 

Blade has one, Shotgun has a dash backwards and AR has Tatical Retreat.  There's others, but those are three I know of and used for sure.  I think fists has something and Chaos too.  

Originally posted by Maelwydd

I find this funny.

There are a lot of closers and snares/impares to lock down once you get there. The CC are mostly 4 atmost 5 secs with normal diminising return rules.  There is a CC break given for 9 AP in the Misc portion of the Ability Wheel.

The tricky thing is choosing the CC you need for you melee build. For example I have a build With 2 closers, 2 impares and 1 of those closers snares. That leaves me with 3 slots for dmg other than the dmg from closers and impares. 

I chose to use a mid range builder for times I was not in rage. It also uses a melee consumer and a mid consumer. Melee doesn't face the same problems as the do in other games, because they flat out have more options.

Well the positive far out weighs the negative :(  If you ask a specific, I will tell you the negative if ti's there :(

Probably the most  frustrating thing is that your build can and will be hard countered. Is this negative? I personally don't think so but others will, then cry OP.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

Best PvP zone ever next to Altric Valley, but AV didn't have 3 factions image

If you thought AV was almost as good as this one, then that doesn't bode well for the game ;p

Originally posted by jdnyc

Blade has one, Shotgun has a dash backwards and AR has Tatical Retreat.  There's others, but those are three I know of and used for sure.  I think fists has something and Chaos too.  

Thank you for the reply.  I also added an edit to my post to explain better(I hope) what I mean.

Without good range, the shotgun dash back seems like an escape from melee or a pve move.  Gaining range on someone is only useful if you use it to avoid damage or to attack when they can't.  With a shotgun, that's not much to work with because of it's short range.  So, it would be fine if you say dual wielded a shotgun and AR.  Once you broke away, you could kite and use the AR.  Snare -> Dash Back -> AR 

If you mean the dash move it was bugged in last BWE.

Bugged as not moving or bugged as in unexpected behaviour? The first dash you get is a 6m dash where you damage everything in your path. It doesn't stop at your target. If you want that maneuver, you will want one of the other abilites (with longer range than 6m). I am guessing the 15m pull from chaos would work very nicely. ;)

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

I wish em gl on TSW but tbh I am looking forward to them finishin the AO graphics update than this maybe when they get this out the door they can put some more devs on it and get it done.

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

amen to that... LbC is reminding me of my old great granpa... "I don't know what it is but I don't like it"....

To make a statement, presumptive of knowledge which is not present, forms the opposite of illumination... as someone who has been in beta for the past 8 weeks... TSW does "ROCKS"...

Provided you are more than a button masher that is... there are a LOT of skills and it's real easy to get to a lesser functional model...

Right now, I am running a blood magic / swords build ... ranged and close up and personal...

Sylentz

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

ah - the touch of the TRUE TROLL... if you can't CRITICIZE the BETA then STFU... pfft

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Hammer has one as well, first ability in the second ring, have to golook up it's name

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Byne25

Very good point TSW change is a awesome way to go for the change in classes (Most people won't like this amount of customization though) GW2 set up just sucks and I hope that isn't the standard since it is just a dumbed down copy of TSW with really no thought put into it.

We all find out about the PvP this weekend all I know 3 faction constant zone with larger population than GW2. Which means TSW might be better at PvP than even GW2, we can see the depth of game play and tactics that TSW has and it would be awesome if a blackwhole formed because GW2 didn't live up to the hype of TSW.

Even though people hate FunCom for the most part they have always made good game. AOC launch wasn't FunCom's failure. We also know FunCom makes pretty good PvP so I am looking forward to seeing PvP this weekend. They already have the best PvE since EQ, character freedom since AC, all we need is PvP as good as DAoC.

OMG! The world would end!

One of the best features of TSW is how powerful the engine is. I haven't run the PvP myself, but a friend of mine did PvP in Fusang and there is no lag with 100+ people on screen at the same time.

There is a reason they added the 512kbps minimum requirement, and it's because they want the game to have some massive battles - which logically will generate a lot of network traffic.