Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So lets talk about this GW2 game

GitsnikGitsnik Member Posts: 4

Greetings, ill start by being frankly and say I have no idea if there are any posts like this already and i dont care either, this is me asking you people out there.

A little bit about myself: nerd ive played beta / rl versions of nearly everything from UO to Horizons to Secret world and whatever F2P out there as well, I am not a hater of GW 2 and I am not a fan either.

I have watched char creation videos, game play videos, been on sites been on forums been standing in a Gamestop shop listning to the seller for an hour while he told me just how awesome the game is and what you can do in it, and still i fully fail to understand the hype of the game. so heres the question for all of you: Why is this game so good? what makes the game tick for you? I want a real explanation to it, not just "because pvp is awesome" give me some ideas to why this game should be something i rush out and buy thinking AWESOME cant wait to play this. and bear in mind this is not supposed to be a flamewar post, this is simply me asking you guys fan or not what makes this game tick for you people as i dont see it myself.

regards from the Git

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

* Exploration (you remember that, right? 10 years since i saw it last)

* Requires quick thinking (no spamming same keys in the same order while standing still)

* Does not feel like M59/EQ/WOW

* Actually well programmed engine 

* Your skill matters more than gear

* Guilds can control places in the mists and gets reward for holding them along time

I been playing a lot of games as well, started M59 over a year before UO launched. GW2 is good and at least worth testing, few MMOs comes out that is so well made. 

But if you are unsure, don't buy it before trying it. There will be a free weekend before launch, test it and see what you think. Then you have nothing to loose besides a few hours and some bandwidth.

• GitsnikGitsnik Member Posts: 4

thats good to know, since ive really been trying to get the feeling of the game.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

PvP is awesome.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

My recommendation is: Get a key for the next BWE and look for yourself.

Anet gave out many keys for only one BWE last time. They didn't announce anyhting yet but maybe they do the same for the next one too ( no there is no date yet. ;) )

Good luck.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337506/Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.html

If you can't read through that and form an opinion then there is nothing that anyone of us can tell you that you haven't already heard that will convince you.

And frankly, until you have read that I don't see why we should repeat ourselves for the nth time when all the info you need is right there in the stickies.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Well, first off, there have been quite a few threads exactly like this. And they all tend to boil down to the same thing.

- Why should we convince you to play a game you aren't interested in? It sounds like you know a good amount about it, and are not missinformed, or uninformed. I guess the question to you would be, what have you heard about the game, and why are you still on the fence about it? We know nothing about you, what types of games you like, what you are looking for, or whether or not this game would even be the right type of game for you.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't listen to anything I heard from a Gamestop. Even if it is pro a game I currently enjoy. I guess I've just had really bad luck w/ Gamestops, but the more the people there try and talk to me, the faster I want to leave the store.

As to the topic at hand, I won't be able to give you a full answer, because of the concerns in point #1.

- To put it short, GW2 is a rare game that offers exactly what was promised, and is actually built around the idea of having a strong community of players that play with each other & help each other out. When it comes to MMOs it's a very non-restrictive MMO, that is very polished, responsive, and open to a lot of playstyles. However:

It is it's own beast, and some people either love it or hate it. It's the type of game where you can easily miss what the game's about, because you expect it to be something it's not (many people try to play the game like WoW, and end up missing a lot of really interesting features as a result). It basically requires somewhat of an open mind to really get into. If you have that, then I've found that the community tends to be very accepting of new players, and willing to help. They don't tolerate trolling, or general asshattery, though.

It is a themepark, with a lot of sandboxy elements added into it's core design. Without knowing more about you, why you are interested enough in the game to make this thread, but not actually interested in the game; or what you are really looking for, I can't really say why you will like this game or not.

The 'hype' over this game, is that it is a game that is crammed w/ more content than any game we have seen in a very long time. It is also the first MMO we have seen in a very long time that has delivered on everything it has promised, and it is also one of the least expensive MMOs to date. That said, different people are excited over different things, but the 'hype' is different for each person based on what they enjoy out of the game. It's entirely user generated, with very little marketting done on Anet's part, aside from releasing information about the game.

- Hope that helps.

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

After 10-11 years of MMO gaming, I'm quite tired of the quest hub/grind mob system that has been used in all MMO's.

Guild Wars 2 is turning everything that got boring in other MMO's into something that keeps the FUN going on!

I seriously can't wait to play it just to have fun again in an MMO where the fun will last longer than a week or two!

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

The following answer is absolutely subjective, I take it you have the capability to extract the information that is relevant to you.

Playing pretty much all of the major MMO releases either at launch or in beta immediately before launch, GW2 is the first one in a long time where I didn't get a "been there, done that" impression.

Whereas many MMOs in the recent past repeated the major MMO designs that have become popular with EQ and later WoW, and only diverged in one or 2 features that where put on top of the standard model, GW2 actually adjusts and fixes many of the problems within the standard MMO formula. You'll notice that very quickly, it just plays different from the outset.

Player interaction is different, other players are always beneficial to your gameplay. World interaction is different, the mini-narratives that are usually hidden in the quest text actually play out in front of you, and if you take action it has persistance. Combat is different, every profession is always a hybrid, so it has much more variety and requires you to be more attentive. PvP is different, it doesn't require who-has-less-real-life gear-up competition, but focuses on player ability.

You'll find plenty of hype around this game, and unfortunately many people, journalists especially, love to use hyperbole like "second coming", "WoW killer" etc. If you ignore the bullshit, what remains is that from all the MMO options currently (or in near future) available, GW2 has the smartest design, and was the most fun to play.

Look out for beta-key giveaways when we're getting closer to the next beta weekend. It's always better to get a first hand impression. You should probably not do a pre-purchase just to get in beta, unless you're sure you're going to like the game

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

If there is one thing the recent hype failures have taught us then it is to not rush into buying games based on what the press features or what others claim. I've seen people having very mixed reactions about GW2, mostly because it just is overhyped and bears a high risk to not fulfill those high expectations for everyone.

Unless you are someone of the mindset "no sub fee, bet I'll get the 50-60 € money's worth out of the game in some way anyway" I'd also suggest you to play one of the beta weekends somehow before actually purchasing the game.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Gitsnik

Greetings, ill start by being frankly

Hi Frankly!

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Saydien

If there is one thing the recent hype failures have taught us then it is to not rush into buying games based on what the press features or what others claim. I've seen people having very mixed reactions about GW2, mostly because it just is overhyped and bears a high risk to not fulfill those high expectations for everyone.

Unless you are someone of the mindset "no sub fee, bet I'll get the 50-60 € money's worth out of the game in some way anyway" I'd also suggest you to play one of the beta weekends somehow before actually purchasing the game.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I could probably get 50 dollars worth of value out of almost ANY AAA MMORPG.  If they didn't have subscription fees I'd probably buy a lot more of them.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

There are a lot of players who will not see GW2 as anything special because of their powergaming playstyle.  Being a powergamer is fine, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with it.  However, if you're used to basically powerleveling to to max level and then grinding end-game content like elite dungeons and raids, or PvP, for exclusive, superior rewards (elite stat gear, increased attributes, crafting materials, etc.) that make a significant difference in the power of your character, then you're probably not going to understand the appeal of GW2. In fact, you're probably going to be baffled as to why anyone would want to play it, considering it offers no such exclusive, superior rewards (in terms of character power) for powergamers, regardless of how much time they invest in the game.

What you may not be aware of is that there are a lot of players who play MMOGs for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with min-maxing gear and skill trees, gaining a professional understanding of the game and their class role, and getting to the end game.  Many of them don't have more than 5-20 hours a week to invest in any MMOGs, and certainly cannot sit for hours at a time multiple times a week to accomplish elite content and get elite rewards.  Many of them are true RPGers, immersing themselves in the game's story and lore.  Others just enjoy escaping real life for an hour or two at a time and want to kick back and relax in an online virtual fantasy world. Some just like playing around with different characters and rarely get any character up to max level.  For a lot of us, it maight take a year or more to get a character to max level - because we're really not even trying to do that.

For these and other reasons, GW2 is the most amazing MMOG ever (outside of, perhaps, GW1, which I never played), because the core design philosophy is one of celebrating and empowering those kinds of players - the ones that virtually never got to go on raids or visit elite areas or loot the big chest at the end of the fight.  It allows casual players to be part of raid and elite-quality content via dynamic events. Anet has put incredible, loving detail and depth into areas of the game that, in most other games, are just scrub areas you rush through on the way to elite content at max level.  They reward explorers and those who investigate story and lore.  They've designed core mechanics to foster a friendlier social contract between players, as you cannot kill steal, bogart resource nodes, or grief other players.  Casuals cannot be excluded from "grouping" because formal grouping is not required for them to be part of group events, even in PvP (WvWvW).  Casuals have access to the best gear (stat-wise) in the game; powergamers might get prettier gear, or have a neat title, but they do not have access to materially superior rewards, so casuals are equally empowered by the game structure of GW2.

So,while GW2 may be a big pile of "so what?" for many players, and understandably so, for many others it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

The game is just fun, at least for me.  The classes, the dynamic events, the pvp and WvWvW were all very cool.  Even the music is awesome for me, as I love the composer Jeremy Soule (of GW1 and Elder Scrolls fame and other amazing games)   If all the research you have done has not convinced you that it is game you want to play, I don't think there is anything else I can say except for trying the game yourself.  I believe if you purchase the game through Arenanet and you play the BWE and it's not working for you, you may be able to obtain a refund.  Probably depends on where you live and ofther factors, just what I have heard.  I would just try the game for yourself. 

• harbglarb1harbglarb1 Member UncommonPosts: 10

In every other mmo I've played (admittedly not a lot and most were WoW clones but still) the world has never engaged me they GW2 did when i played the beta, my framerate was complete garbage but even then i couldn't stop exploring the world looking for little secrets that people might miss or maybe trigger an even later like some weird abandoned home on a lake, In WaR the enviroment was pretty cool but it just screamed "lol i'm spiky and angry, or lol i have stupidly feathery clothes" in GW2, you can see the reaction in the world in quite a few events, i saw a giant bash down a door and slaughter everyone in the town until a group of heroesmanaged to fight him from the high ground while the armored warriors danced nimbly through his feet avoiding his grasp.

instead of sitting there watching my skills waiting for recharges i was dodging and hoping i didn't make the one mistake that got me killed until i could heal, all the while trying to help my allies in any way i could, be it laying down a barrier with my staff or providing a free block to the people near me with my shield and mace. i only grouped up with one person the entire weekend but even so people went out of their way to help because there is no kill stealing, there is no rat race or fear that they may get mad at you for helping and there's certainly no tagging of a monster to show others there's no point in helping.

i know this is rambling and may sound fanboi-ish but this is seriously how the game presented itself to me, there was no ill will towards that killstealing thief that got a green drop from the champion monster i was fighting for 5 minutes, instead youthank him for the help and maybe evenform a partnership to rival peanut butter and chocolate, hell it could rival batman and his money!. does the game have problems? sure but what game doesn't? even with it's flaws it's still in beta and more polished than most games i've ever played.

TL;DR great game, no hate to others unless you/they are already kind of an asshole, skill based combat (one or two mistakes in a lot of fights can ruin you) and a feeling of being in a living world (with a few minor exceptions)

PS. i hope to adventure with you in tyria and put an end to the dragon menace once and for all.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

GW2 doesn't do much that is new.

However, what GW2 DOES do, it does right.

The most "revolutionary" thing about it, imo, is that you get a AAA quality MMO for $60. No monthly fee. Comparable storage to P2P games.

GW2 is essentially 2.5-3 games:

1. PvE: Plays like a single player RPG in a persistent world. Exploring, crafting, questing, and DEs are great here. Imagine Warhammer done correctly with content you can return to because your level scales down to it. You will always be able to party with friends and guild members and not have to worry about facerolling everything for them.

2. WvW: HUGE instance where 3 servers try to kill each other because they are all racists judging each other by the color of their clothes(Blues hate the reds and greens, greens hate the reds and blues, and Reds don't hate anyone...we just own them all)

3. Structured PvP: Want to prove your the best skilled, not the best geared? You do it here: equal gear, equal levels, etc. What seperates people here is not the armor or weapon you grinded or spent 3 weeks farming gold to enchant; it's your skill.

Almost everything in GW2 has been done before. They just haven't been done all in the same game, all at the same time, and all for no dod gamn subscription fee.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

That's an easy one: It's fun as hell. Playtested on last two BWEs, played at GamesCom, want to play it again.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Loke666

* Exploration (you remember that, right? 10 years since i saw it last)

* Requires quick thinking (no spamming same keys in the same order while standing still)

* Does not feel like M59/EQ/WOW

* Actually well programmed engine 

* Your skill matters more than gear

* Guilds can control places in the mists and gets reward for holding them along time

I been playing a lot of games as well, started M59 over a year before UO launched. GW2 is good and at least worth testing, few MMOs comes out that is so well made. 

But if you are unsure, don't buy it before trying it. There will be a free weekend before launch, test it and see what you think. Then you have nothing to loose besides a few hours and some bandwidth.

This..

And the game is just flat out a fun world to be in..

Playing GW2..

• WarmachinezWarmachinez Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Meleagar

There are a lot of players who will not see GW2 as anything special because of their powergaming playstyle.  Being a powergamer is fine, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with it.  However, if you're used to basically powerleveling to to max level and then grinding end-game content like elite dungeons and raids, or PvP, for exclusive, superior rewards (elite stat gear, increased attributes, crafting materials, etc.) that make a significant difference in the power of your character, then you're probably not going to understand the appeal of GW2. In fact, you're probably going to be baffled as to why anyone would want to play it, considering it offers no such exclusive, superior rewards (in terms of character power) for powergamers, regardless of how much time they invest in the game.

What you may not be aware of is that there are a lot of players who play MMOGs for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with min-maxing gear and skill trees, gaining a professional understanding of the game and their class role, and getting to the end game.  Many of them don't have more than 5-20 hours a week to invest in any MMOGs, and certainly cannot sit for hours at a time multiple times a week to accomplish elite content and get elite rewards.  Many of them are true RPGers, immersing themselves in the game's story and lore.  Others just enjoy escaping real life for an hour or two at a time and want to kick back and relax in an online virtual fantasy world. Some just like playing around with different characters and rarely get any character up to max level.  For a lot of us, it maight take a year or more to get a character to max level - because we're really not even trying to do that.

For these and other reasons, GW2 is the most amazing MMOG ever (outside of, perhaps, GW1, which I never played), because the core design philosophy is one of celebrating and empowering those kinds of players - the ones that virtually never got to go on raids or visit elite areas or loot the big chest at the end of the fight.  It allows casual players to be part of raid and elite-quality content via dynamic events. Anet has put incredible, loving detail and depth into areas of the game that, in most other games, are just scrub areas you rush through on the way to elite content at max level.  They reward explorers and those who investigate story and lore.  They've designed core mechanics to foster a friendlier social contract between players, as you cannot kill steal, bogart resource nodes, or grief other players.  Casuals cannot be excluded from "grouping" because formal grouping is not required for them to be part of group events, even in PvP (WvWvW).  Casuals have access to the best gear (stat-wise) in the game; powergamers might get prettier gear, or have a neat title, but they do not have access to materially superior rewards, so casuals are equally empowered by the game structure of GW2.

So,while GW2 may be a big pile of "so what?" for many players, and understandably so, for many others it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I believe this is my first ever post after years of reading these forums and I just  HAD TO quote you Meleagar, because this is EXACTLY how I feel about GW2. I am that type of player you describe in your second paragraph and GW2 makes me feel EPIC. Everytime i log on, even if it's just for an hour, while my kid is napping, I feel epic and I accomplish something epic. Such as closing multiple portals being conjured by 4 evil shamans protected by huge ice elementals... and i'm not even level 20! Imagine at 80!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

For me, it's the "organic" questing system and the exploration factor is ten times what other MMOs have brought.  Topped off by awesome music and graphics IMHO, and a different way of playing combat and pvp wise than what we've seen ten million times post WoW era in other games.

I like being able to pick a direction and just go and have content just fall in my lap causing me to lose hours of time due to being so immersed and involved in the environment.  Top that off with my class progression which is different for each class, namely with weapon skills, traits, builds, gear and levels, plus the content scaling to my level if I want to complete EVERYTHING.  

Yeah...how is this hard to understand?  That's what baffles me, how anyone can NOT like this game in this MMO genre.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

So what your really saying is its a game for casuals but not as good as sliced bread?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

GW2 is the bees-knees for me because there is no preasure...

Leveling isn't a chore because the game is FUN and beautiful and you are not racing to catch up to others or get max level so you can really play the game or not get stomped in PvP constantly.

There is no end-game because in a very real sense the entire game is "end-game" and that is an experience I have no felt since my days in UO many, many years ago.

Even when you do "max out" the game is still about FUN and grinding for the things you WANT rather than the things you NEED.

Grouping is natural and free-form and there is no preasure to find or play a specific class/role becausing grouping is about using what you have in terms of class mix not cookie-cutter groups and roles.

Just a few of the things, but GW2 just... feels so different - and with no sub fee, no preasure to power game.

If my friends out level me and we want to play together, we can head to another races zones and downlevel together and still benefit or hop into WvW and still benefit.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

"So what your really saying is its a game for casuals but not as good as sliced bread?"

"Wrong. Being a powergamer, I'll tell you how much I'm looking forward to stomp kids in WvW."

No, what I said is that if you're a powergamer that requires exclusive, superior, non-cosmetic rewards to celebrate your playstyle, you probably will not find anything in GW2 innovative or even interesting enough to play. If, however, you are a powergamer that doesn't require such exclusive, character-empowering content, then you might find GW2 quite enjoyable for various reasons.

Like Warmachinez say, we casuals get something from GW2 that we've virtually never had or experienced before - epic dungeon-like groups (without even grouping!) and raid-like encounters (without being part of an uber-guild!) and looting the big box at the end. For most powergamers, they've had that for years and years and might find it hard to understand that for perhaps millions of players, this is new stuff.

Imagine your first time going on a raid. Imagine the first few times you encountered raid-like or epic group content.  That's what GW2 offers a lot of us that virtually no other MMOG does or ever has - and they offer it at every level, and all over the game map just as you're going about doing your business.

Hey, if you enjoy GW2, great - whether  you're casual or hardcore, RPGer or not - my point was a general one and as such not applicable to every individual or situtation.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

For me, playing GW2 has brought back a feeeling that I have not felt in a game since my first MMO. Now, I'm not the most veteran gamer out there. I started to play MMOs in 2003 with the release of FFXI. As a lot of people know FFXI is a grindfest but for me no other game out there has come close to it, until now.

I have played a lot of MMOs in the past 9 years or so including Aion, Rift, GW1, WoW, FFXIV, FFXI, DAoC, and WAR. GW2 has been the only game to give me back that feeling I got playing FFXI. It's a hard to explain feeling, some fear, some happiness and also some feeling of the unknown. Some people love the game and other hate it. The best thing for you to do would be either get a beta key or buy it and play the beta. Most you'll lose is 60 bucks and who has not wasted 60 bucks on a crappy console game before?

Vivik-Cerberus
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

"So what your really saying is its a game for casuals but not as good as sliced bread?"

"Wrong. Being a powergamer, I'll tell you how much I'm looking forward to stomp kids in WvW."

No, what I said is that if you're a powergamer that requires exclusive, superior, non-cosmetic rewards to celebrate your playstyle, you probably will not find anything in GW2 innovative or even interesting enough to play. If, however, you are a powergamer that doesn't require such exclusive, character-empowering content, then you might find GW2 quite enjoyable for various reasons.

Like Warmachinez say, we casuals get something from GW2 that we've virtually never had or experienced before - epic dungeon-like groups (without even grouping!) and raid-like encounters (without being part of an uber-guild!) and looting the big box at the end. For most powergamers, they've had that for years and years and might find it hard to understand that for perhaps millions of players, this is new stuff.

Imagine your first time going on a raid. Imagine the first few times you encountered raid-like or epic group content.  That's what GW2 offers a lot of us that virtually no other MMOG does or ever has - and they offer it at every level, and all over the game map just as you're going about doing your business.

Hey, if you enjoy GW2, great - whether  you're casual or hardcore, RPGer or not - my point was a general one and as such not applicable to every individual or situtation.

Ah I see:)

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

For me:

- Honest Business Model (no subs + CS for fluff/account services)

- AAA Quality

- SPVP is great fun, and perfect if you don't have lots of time to engage in WvW

- PvE feels solid, and rewards the Explorator/Complationist in me

- Fun crafting, with little gear pressure

- Jeremy Soule

- Very inspired Art and Game Direction

- Hefty lore, presenting a nice deviation from standard High Fantasy

- Interesting classes, with lots of customization options

- Focus on Cooperation instead of predatory/selfish behavior

- WvW is FUN! Better than rolling downhill inside a barrel of Jell-O

- No set roles gives players freedom to experiment and to alter roles quick and painlessly