Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a game without PVP

DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I don't strictly play PVE, but I do much prefer it. I have fun in BGs and other zone-pvp events, but most of the time I'd rather be smashing npc-face.

I've played many games where the PVP resulted in PVE nerfs, not because abilities were OP against the bosses the devs balance it against, but because players couldn't kill a tank, or healer, or because they could one shot each other.

I've been in at least four major betas that nerfed the abilities before the game event went live, caving to "I can't kill this tank" or "DPS are one-shotting me" and while their $15/mo is just as worthy as mine, I'd like a game that focused on my tastes.

I don't mind duels, in fact, I enjoy them too, but I think that it starts a slippery slope. Duels inspire people to want more pvp content. and start a snowball of people being upset because the tank takes their hit like... well.. a tank. Tanks upset that they can't kill anything, and glass cannons being upset because if you smack a glass cannon, they die.

Flame on.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I hope that EQ 3 is 100% pve then I can tell whiney pve extremists to "go play eq3 then"

Also they should balance abilities around pvp first then pve, it makes sense. A boss doesn't get upset if you nerf his HP. It's games like wow that started without pvp and tacked it on at a later date that seem to suffer list with this "constant rebalancing" thing pveers moan about. Well that and the devs stupid insistence you can 1 vs 1 balance a mmo which is impossible

Of course the root cause of constant rebalancing is tiered progression raiding and pvp item sets to keep up with it anyway. If end gear progressed much slower, or bot at all, once your balanced your balanced for life.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I hope that EQ 3 is 100% pve then I can tell whiney pve extremists to "go play eq3 then"

Also they should balance abilities around pvp first then pve, it makes sense. A boss doesn't get upset if you nerf his HP. It's games like wow that started without pvp and tacked it on at a later date that seem to suffer list with this "constant rebalancing" thing pveers moan about. Well that and the devs stupid insistence you can 1 vs 1 balance a mmo which is impossible

Of course the root cause of constant rebalancing is tiered progression raiding and pvp item sets to keep up with it anyway. If end gear progressed much slower, or bot at all, once your balanced your balanced for life.

Thanks for a fair response.

I'm not sure that introducing PVP from the outset would do much better for classes being capable of what they should be. It would certainly nix the feeling of feeling nerfed, but I think you'd still have tanks that want to kill other players, healers that still want to, dps that want to be able to 1:1 take out a healer, etc.

1:1 certainly is a problem and devs listining to qq about this one time my counter-class got me.

Originally posted by jdlamson75

http://www.freerealms.com/

Eww, get it off, get it off! I'm talking about quality titles.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I think GW got it nicely (and I believe GW2 will do something like it). Basically every skill you could use had a PvE and PvP version (sometimes they were the same, sometimes very different) and PvP and PvE were completely separated, so anytime you went into PvE you used your PvE skills and attributes, whenever you went to PvP, you used the PvP version of the skills and attiributes, so they could adjust/nerf/buff (and they did) the different classes and skills without affecting the way they worked in PvE.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

I agree with you. If they can make niche games just for pvp, surely they can make some just for pve. Majority of mmorpg'ers are pve oriented anyway.

The thing is though, mmo's want to be everything to everyone. To get the most amount of subs possible. So you end up with watered down, broken gameplay.

Have you ever been to a restaurant that had just everything on the menu? Mostly crap.

Maybe devs will reailize that they can't be WoW. It was released at the right time, with the right IP.

Niche games are the way to go. Pick something and do it well. We'll see...

Just a afterthought. You know the biggest mistake developers make? Listening to gamers. What we want isn't what we need to make a game fun. Listening to forum chatter really messes up a game fast.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Well you shouldn't get flamed for wanted a specific type of game...

Me personally.. I think the "imbalance" is caused by the poor state of PvE AI.  To make up for this and to try and create an artificial challenge developers just make mobs do ridiculous damage or have insane HPs.  To counter this... you then need players that are able to withstand crazy amounts of damage or cause unbelieveable amounts of it.

Just look at the example you used of people complaining about a "tank" they can't kill in PvP.   Well.. the reason they cannot kill him is because he is built to withstand the equivalent of a 1kiloton nuclear bomb during boss fights...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

What are you talking about when yous ay that WoW started without pvp?  It had pvp from day one if you were on a pvp server.  Also you could on pve servers go into towns/cities and start pvp fights.  Adding battlegrounds as the main pvp was seen as many as a downfall not "tacking it on."  PvP was great in wow even before it got "tacked on" as you put it.  

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

While I do like to pvp, I would like to see a good AAA strictly pve game. I would also like to see a new version of a ffa pvp game. I generally dont mean full loot when I say FFA btw. I mean anyone can attack anyone. And yes I know .. DF/MO .. yea right .. on their best day they were aa.

but every dev is entitled to every consumer of every playstyle because box sales are all that matter to them anymore.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Well to start, some games that have pvp, also have fantastic pve so extend your view a little.  Theres very, very little instances where I can see a full PVE game being profitable, or just plain enjoyable. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by ShakyMo I hope that EQ 3 is 100% pve then I can tell whiney pve extremists to "go play eq3 then" Also they should balance abilities around pvp first then pve, it makes sense. A boss doesn't get upset if you nerf his HP. It's games like wow that started without pvp and tacked it on at a later date that seem to suffer list with this "constant rebalancing" thing pveers moan about. Well that and the devs stupid insistence you can 1 vs 1 balance a mmo which is impossible Of course the root cause of constant rebalancing is tiered progression raiding and pvp item sets to keep up with it anyway. If end gear progressed much slower, or bot at all, once your balanced your balanced for life.
    What are you talking about when yous ay that WoW started without pvp?  It had pvp from day one if you were on a pvp server.  Also you could on pve servers go into towns/cities and start pvp fights.  Adding battlegrounds as the main pvp was seen as many as a downfall not "tacking it on."  PvP was great in wow even before it got "tacked on" as you put it.  

this x 100
    pvp was better in wow before "pvp"

I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I have to agree.

I also want a game with no PVP. Ever.

I think PVP ruins a game because it takes so much of the Developers attention away from the game itself. 

If their focus could solely be upon the game and making it more fun for its players, instead of toiling over "balance" and goofy "battle fields".... In my opinion, this could yield a far greater game.

Like, for instance, a Star Wars game where Jedi are as strong and scary as Jedi should be, without the fear of some loudmouthed PVPer screaming "I can't keeel it!"

But, don't think its ever going to happen.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/

the perfect game for carebears who dont want pvp in there mmo

You know, I love this attitude.

Here's a guy who thinks people who don't PVP are "less cool" than he is.

But in actuality, he's the exact same nerd playing the exact same MMORPG.

You're not a "badass" becaues you "PVP in an MMORPG".

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

gw2 is an obvious candidate...

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Lotro is mostly PvE.  And all PvP is consensual.  That might be what you're looking for.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

i wouldnt say im the exact same nerd playing the exact same mmorpg.i wouldnt waste my time in a mmorpg that didnt have pvp in it

oh and i never claimed to be a "badass" because i pvp in mmos

You really shouldn't sweat people like this. Waste of time. And life.

If anything, they are even more pathetic than most. Thinking pvp in a mmorpg could EVER be truely competitive. Wrong genre dude. Most likely they can't cut it in a game with real pvp.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

For me, if I really wanted a PvP fix, I wouldn't play some game with traditional MMO controls. Boring.

I'd play a shooter, RTS or some other game with an online element whose sole purpose is PvP. Most games have it either as side-content, and it's never really the focus of things - or it's the complete opposite - and the majority of the game revolves around it.

At this point, I'd like to keep it seperate as well... like me peanut butter and chocolate. Not everything needs to be Reese's.

~Oh, and hardcore PvPers got picked on in grade school and have a complex. I don't blame them for their latent penis envy.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by gieger808

You really shouldn't sweat people like this. Waste of time. And life.

If anything, they are even more pathetic than most. Thinking pvp in a mmorpg could EVER be truely competitive. Wrong genre dude. Most likely they can't cut it in a game with real pvp.

i guess you could say i couldnt cut in a game with real pvp.but you dont know the mmos ive actually played

Originally posted by gieger808 Originally posted by CujoSWAoA Originally posted by CrunkJuice2 http://www.hellokittyonline.com/   the perfect game for carebears who dont want pvp in there mmo    
    You know, I love this attitude. Here's a guy who thinks people who don't PVP are "less cool" than he is. But in actuality, he's the exact same nerd playing the exact same MMORPG. You're not a "badass" becaues you "PVP in an MMORPG".
    You really shouldn't sweat people like this. Waste of time. And life. If anything, they are even more pathetic than most. Thinking pvp in a mmorpg could EVER be truely competitive. Wrong genre dude. Most likely they can't cut it in a game with real pvp.
    i guess you could say i couldnt cut in a game with real pvp.but you dont know the mmos ive actually played

I think he would say .. it doesnt matter which mmos you have played. none of them are as competitive, ever.

Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by gieger808

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2 http://www.hellokittyonline.com/   the perfect game for carebears who dont want pvp in there mmo    
    You know, I love this attitude. Here's a guy who thinks people who don't PVP are "less cool" than he is. But in actuality, he's the exact same nerd playing the exact same MMORPG. You're not a "badass" becaues you "PVP in an MMORPG".
    You really shouldn't sweat people like this. Waste of time. And life. If anything, they are even more pathetic than most. Thinking pvp in a mmorpg could EVER be truely competitive. Wrong genre dude. Most likely they can't cut it in a game with real pvp.

I think he would say .. it doesnt matter which mmos you have played. none of them are as competitive, ever.

Pretty much. I wasn't going to comment. 

Turn-based, gear based pvp can never be competitive. I just laugh when someone gets serious about pvp in a mmorpg.lol.

2-player Tetris is a more pure pvp experience.

Pvp in  a mmorpg is more about fun than serious competition. Kudos to those that find it so. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you are some kind of superior mmorpg gamer for prefering that kind of game. So sad. Makes me sad for them.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by Athcear

Lotro is mostly PvE.  And all PvP is consensual.  That might be what you're looking for.

Lotro is an EXCELLLENT suggestion. I think they don't do PVP so much as PVMP- basically you kill mosters controlled by players

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Freerealms

EQ2 (I know it has PvP, but it's very much non-intrusive)

LotRO (Also has PvP, but very much non-intrusive)

Vanguard

Originally posted by aesperus
    FreerealmsEQ2 (I know it has PvP, but it's very much non-intrusive)LotRO (Also has PvP, but very much non-intrusive)Vanguard 

actually yea, vanguard :) good game too .. not gonna blow your mind, but good game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Astralglide
    Originally posted by Athcear

Lotro is an EXCELLLENT suggestion. I think they don't do PVP so much as PVMP- basically you kill mosters controlled by players

PvMP is very much PvP, but it is indeed isolated, and they don't really balance around it. Most of the balancing they do for PvMP is kept to monster players, and the freeps balancing is very much PvE oriented.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Vanguard SOH. Great PVE game and going F2P soon.