Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously WHY?!

13»

Comments

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Slampig

Now if someone could just make EvE but with dragons and swords and wizards and the like... Then again, it would be kind of odd to see 20 spaceships standing in the bazaar telling Chuck Norris "jokes"...

You would be standing in a bazaar and then suddenly 20 fat norsemen with bees tattooed to their arms would swoop in ungracefully and gank you.

• PolypropylenPolypropylen Member Posts: 30

Again:

I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE EVE !!!!

I asked "seriously why" is there no other game developer who recognized this market niche?

Making a game like EVE, with many different spaceships, with a huge world, with total loss of the ship BUT with better insurance, WITH BETTER PVE, WITH A STORY and better UI and tutorials...

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Corehaven

But its just slightly too harsh for me to dig into PVP.  Proably the core meat of the game. 

The only people PvPing in expensive ships wardec smaller noob corps and demand a ransom, and know full well that they can sit out front 24-hours a day and smoke whatever sticks it's head out.

Everyone else sets a PvP budget and uses cheap ships they don't mind losing. Makes me wonder if there is any way to actually *make* money by PvPing... besides ransoming.

You really have never played this game have you, go look at what PL flys lol, or NC. or Raiden., I could go on and on but you never made it far in this or you would know what you posted is utter rubbish.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by VassagoMael

Yeah if you get podded with an inadequate clone you lose skill points. I think that is garbage and needs to be thrown out, especially in a training over time kind of game.

Mistakes do have consequences, even such silly mistakes... I guess you will remember next time :)

(The SP loss is limited to highest ranked, highest trained skill with a hard cap of 2M or so)

I clearly stated that this hadn't happened to me.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Polypropylen

Making a game like EVE, with many different spaceships, with a huge world, with total loss of the ship BUT with better insurance, WITH BETTER PVE, WITH A STORY and better UI and tutorials...

Erm, where is the "EVE like" part...?

Also, not point posting this in EVE forums...

Originally posted by VassagoMael

I clearly stated that this hadn't happened to me.

I was not talking about you in particular either, just made a point...

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I actually re-subbed. I played the beta for TSW and just felt like it was meh. Really not many sandboxes to choose from.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Again:

I asked "seriously why" is there no other game developer who recognized this market niche?

I think a number of people get that, but you are posting this in the EvE forum so, when you say an "EvE-like game with different features" a lot of people will naturally think about it in terms of how EvE would change to accomodate that. It's a matter of perspective. This would probably be much better off in a "General" forum saying something along the lines of "a space based game with lots of ships, a huge game world, and 'feature x, y ,and z'". Maybe identifying those pieces of EvE you like, and then taking the "EvE" name, and posters, out of the equation, might produce better results. Who knows, someone might even point you to an existing game that you hadn't yet considered.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Eve is about PvP and PKing. Sure you could try playing the game solo (Ive played mostly as an explorer with cloaking) but to really enjoy the game like other say you have to have a group of people to fly with. If not for protection from other players, then even at minimum to kill the PvE ships for good loot. Even when mining (which some say you can do solo) youll be targetted by PvP.

Thats just the way EvE is. Its a game full of gankers and scammers.

This is why I played two months and quit. I agree with the OP - the game is awesome. However, it is a totally pvp game and no place for care bears (like me).  Similar to ANet with Guild Wars 2 I respect the developers for keeping true to their gaming philopsophy. I am not asking CCP to change the design of their game (though I do think that if they made 0.9 space non-attackable they would pick up a battleship load of players). That is the way they made their game. Fine. It is just not for me. They are ok with that and I am too.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by tordurbar

This is why I played two months and quit. I agree with the OP - the game is awesome. However, it is a totally pvp game and no place for care bears (like me).  Similar to ANet with Guild Wars 2 I respect the developers for keeping true to their gaming philopsophy. I am not asking CCP to change the design of their game (though I do think that if they made 0.9 space non-attackable they would pick up a battleship load of players). That is the way they made their game. Fine. It is just not for me. They are ok with that and I am too.

Having any place in the game where players are 100% non-attackable would be against their core gaming philosophy. Thats why high security provides consequences rather than restriction to PKing.

Originally posted by tordurbar

This is why I played two months and quit. I agree with the OP - the game is awesome. However, it is a totally pvp game and no place for care bears (like me).

Do not let people bully you... Take your time, get a couple of trials and find for yourself.

EVE is about what you make it to be.

• LegionReaverLegionReaver Member Posts: 13

I am a hero :) I've been training noobs for 3-4 years now its pretty much what I do. I've been the leadership and role model for at least a hundred or so players some are still around some don't have the time. I teach Amarr ships and Amarr  combat philosophy. 

I start a corp get lots of new players to join. Show them all the different stuff they can do and then play the game until everyones rl gets too busy or things get stale. Then dismantal the corp and start again. The experience is what you make of it. If you want to lead then lead of you want to follow then follow. Either way its your choice that matters and no one handed it to you and gave you an objective... oh wait yeah I did in many peoples cases. I gave them thier first objectives and goals and pointed them in the right direction to achieve what they wanted to achieve. 

I think my favorite part about helping brand new players is the awe they have of the ships and stuff you have and then six months later when they can fly they shiny stuff they realize there wasn't anything special about the ship but rather the people you meet and the experiences you had. 

Tis not the destination that matters but the journey itself. What you do in other mmo's really doesn't matter to anyone since your all playing the same role.... what you do in eve will matter to someone so long as you intend it to. You can be their greatest ally or worst enemy the choice.... and this is the important part.... is up to you. 

But if your looking for PVE and a story just pick something from the Lore theres tons and tons of lore for EVE but it still comes back to you and your wiliingness to expand on it. If you want a pve and a story with it join a role playing corp. Many of them are pretty good groups and they write their own narritive to coexist with the current story line. You can join the Matar and hate the Amarr. You can join the Caldari and hate the Gallente. You can even join the sansha and disrupt incursion runners or any other faction for that matter. Thats the point the story the mechanics the whole game is designed to allow you the user to develop whatever content you can imagine. You have to use your Imagination. its one of the few games that still requires that part of the brain. 

No other developers make other games to mimic EVE because they'd simply fail in comparison. Anything else would be a kiddie ride compared to the real deal. Its like comparing rosy and her five sisters to a hooker. yeah rosy's safe and will get the job done but the hooker knows what the hell shes doing and theres a reason she gets paid to do what she does. just keep in mind you need to slap that bitch now an then and keep her in line. Got to remind her who's on the service end of the deal. 

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Not Goons are costing them subscriptions but the fact that most people, like you, simply aren't cut for Eve Online. It's HTFU or GTFO. Also, you're just a vocal minority, as it is with crybabies. Why would you want to ban the Goons or do them any harm? They're the only ones actually the playing instead of crying about how that's impossible because of the Goons.

You losers make me sick. With an attitude like that, you will be on the bottom of the food chain, in- and outside of Eve. Nothing to do with Goons. You're a loser and a crybaby. That's your problem.

Historicallay Goons are the largest cry babies of EvE, but that aside you are quite right.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Again:

There are a couple of unique things about EVE that will be hard to replicate

(1) It was developed by a bunch of industry outsiders at a time whent he MMO market was much less mature than it is now, and it took quite a while before EVE was really playable. Indeed, EVE players still joke that EVE's live beta has started it's 10th year.

(2) It's published by the developers. No EA/Vivendi to override developer vision

(3) It has been run by the same guys pretty much from the start, and they had a specific vision which, more or less, kinda, they've stuck with: Single Server. Non-consensual PvP in all areas of space. Minimal NPC interaction.

(4) EVE's skillpoint system and ship-based action creates a unique situation where characters can continue to accumulate capability (with everything that implies for customer retention), without indefinitely accumulating power (with everything that implies for acquiring new customers)

(5) CCP right from the start took a very advanced and liberal view of things like selling game time for in-game currency and character trading.

Although technologically speaking it should be possible to build something very like a "Fantasy EVE", the culture amongst MMO players would never tolerate the "ten year beta" model of starting with the bare bones and continuously building on it that a small company has to employ. And large companies have proven that they won't take the risks or show the patience and self restraint required to trust in their playerbase to provide the content for each other which is the essence of the sandbox.

In fact I'd say that your only realistic hope for a "fantasy" sandbox game is probably from CCP themselves. Barring some outsider event like a Silicon Valley geek billionaire founding and funding a project to create one, of course.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

BTW by "Fantasy EVE" I mean your fantasy, not orcs-and-elves fantasy.

Incidentally, there's a very good reason why EVE's insurance doesn't completely cover losses.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Dear OP,

When people talk about a PvE version of eve, I think they miss the point.

I know we like to split up the world in PvE and PvP games, but really that is doing our selfs a disservice. I mean, if someone made a really, really good AI, noone would really know the difference. We like to play in living worlds that feels real, and thats what EvE provides.

In the end you have to get over the concept of PvE vs. PvP. Its you vs. them. Does not matter who THEM is, player or AI. (Exept the first tnds to give you a better challenge...)

TBH, I dont think your issue is PvP at all, its loss. Its the fact that EvE has a real loss when you die. That you dont like.

I guess you could build a carebear friendly EvE (that is one without true loss), but I think that would not be very interesting game in the end. You would either end up with WoW in space (aka. themepark) or an overfilled sandbox full of half build sandcastles. (The issues of lossless sandboxes it to big to cover here, but the idea have very fundemental issues.)

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Try Star trek online the space combat is more visceral and action packed, there are no penalties and you have a lot pve both in space and on the ground.

Of course you lose the depth and the sandbox of Eve though. But hey you can't have it all.......yet.

• PolypropylenPolypropylen Member Posts: 30
    StarTrek....lol always having the same ship nope thank you very much!
  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

All of us in eve had a day one, lost our first ship did our first missions and painfully learned our way around eve.

PVP never really interested me in most games, found it boring but when I lost my first battleship to a pirate in lowsec two very important events happened.

1)My adrenalin hit the roof, as my ship was taken apart by the pirates I felt more alive in a game than ever in any other game before or since, my hands were shaking as I tried to explain to the pirate who opened a convo that I had no money to pay the ransom I could hardly type.

My loss was about 1 billion  (Caldari navy raven, caldari faction launchers, all my money sunk into it, a lot of missions and mining back then :) ).

2)When I arrived back at station, 2m to my name (after buying the raven I had no space money to insure it lol) I sat there and thought, yes I could quit but then I realised something this game was not just some mmo it was a challenge and so I bought a few frigates and took an Agony unleashed pvp class.

6 years later and I still play, I now live in 0.0 as part of Am0k. part of goons and pvp is my lifestyle, I still loose ships but I kill a hell of a lot more, I have been in some of the biggest wars in EVE history, I was there when IT fell, when uemon server crashed under 2800 people in local every command taking upwards of 45 mins (Yay for tidi now) and the burning of jita.

Eve is really the only true sandbox, yes it can be shitty, yes you can loose everything but the point is IF you survive, IF you succeed you are a bloody hero because just look at the odds against it.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

In MMOs where you play as the "hero", you're often times filled in a world of nothing but heroes.  I find that more boring than being an average person with real struggles trying to succeed in a dangerous world.

There's no highsec mechanic in eve for players to be a hero without losing ISK in the process.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Again:

Because they are greedy pussies who want to try and carbon copy WoW's success to rake in money, and don't have any balls to take the risk and make a really good product. Believe me, I agree with you. And it doesn't even have to be spaceships; a fantasy/modern/steampunk/whatever close variant of Eve that had good gameplay I'd be willing to try. I'm definitely looking forward to World of Darkness a.k.a. vampire Eve because of this.

Where's the any key?