Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland: E3 2012 Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We sat down with the folks at Gamigo during this year's E3 to discuss Otherland, the upcoming free-to-play MMO based on the eponymous Tad Williams book series. Read on to find out what we learned!

Developed by RealU and dtp entertainment, and published by the folks at Gamigo, Otherland is a free-to-play MMO based on the eponymous cyberpunk book series by Tad Williams. The setting uniquely fits the MMO genre as characters within the series regularly make use of a virtual reality called the Net as part of their daily lives.  As one might expect, players will spend their time within the Net when playing the game.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Otherland: E3 2012 Preview.

Comments

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

the pvp aspect with clanlands sounds awesome! Im sure with the eDNA system and some of the people who have no jobs will have the best "protected" clan land with the ai monsters lol. None the less it sure does sound interesting, I could see my self enjoying this title if they pull it off!

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

Tad Williams?  How did I not know about this MMO?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Someone finallly breaks the mold, steps out of the box and makes something new?  You have my interest.

I like the idea  behind the game, and the multiple settings sounds intriguing.  The ability to customize your character even after character creation is one thing I really loved about APB.  And the more action oriented combat is a feature I have come to love in Tera.  I'm looking forward to learning more about this game.

This was nice info to wake up to this morning.  

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Why is any sort of sandbox home ownership always tied to some sort of ffa pvp? Can't developers come up with something a little different?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • MartianDeusMartianDeus Member Posts: 7

Awesome to hear that your impressions of it are matching my budding expectations!  Really excited to see what they do with this.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

"looks like something out of blade runner!" << that's the new commercial thing nowadays eh? sometimes i wonder if you guys actually saw the movie when making such a comment ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

"Probably one of the most interesting aspects of Otherland is the focus on PvP via the unique ClanLand space. In ClanLand, players will be able to use a specific resource to customize (and expand) their own space. Those kind of float in the middle of space and you can even see other ClanLands owned by other clans from atop your own. If other players discover your ClanLand’s “IP Address” they can even invade and pillage it for all its resources."

This can be a amazing feature in game..... or a tottaly disaster because the game is F2P.

The concept of the game is intersting, but that kind of PvP in a F2P game with CS worry me.

Anyway, have to wait and see.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Why is any sort of sandbox home ownership always tied to some sort of ffa pvp? Can't developers come up with something a little different?

Well...if the last 15 years or so mean anything...then probably not :).

The stupid thing is that FFA-PvP really has NOTHING to do with home ownership, because homes are typically completely separated from PvP!  So why these two concepts got tied together...I have no clue.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Yeah, except it's still very early in development to launch this year. I predict mid 2013 at least.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Sure sounds and looks nice. I was also a fan of the books. I doubt it can live up to them, but it might be a good MMO nevertheless. Especially when it's F2P. Seriously, most "major" MMOs aren't, and did it any good? Generic MMO x gets released once or twice a year, no real innovation for years.

F2P means they have to keep people playing, all the time, otherwise they won't buy stuff. You do not buy stuff if you only log in an hour each month, while some just keep their subscription running because they might want to log in right now, even if they didnt the whole past year.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Well...if the last 15 years or so mean anything...then probably not :).

The stupid thing is that FFA-PvP really has NOTHING to do with home ownership, because homes are typically completely separated from PvP!  So why these two concepts got tied together...I have no clue.

I suspect it has mostly to do with the story of the books themselves. Self-created realms feature pretty heavily I believe.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Jabas

"Probably one of the most interesting aspects of Otherland is the focus on PvP via the unique ClanLand space. In ClanLand, players will be able to use a specific resource to customize (and expand) their own space. Those kind of float in the middle of space and you can even see other ClanLands owned by other clans from atop your own. If other players discover your ClanLand’s “IP Address” they can even invade and pillage it for all its resources."

This can be a amazing feature in game..... or a tottaly disaster because the game is F2P.

The concept of the game is intersting, but that kind of PvP in a F2P game with CS worry me.

Anyway, have to wait and see.

Looks great until you want to really play the game have your own created land and find that you have to pay an arm and a leg for each object. Looks great but sadly I cannot afford to play F2P games......

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

This game totally reminds me of .hack. Can't wait. I'm glad it's free-to-play. I hope they do it right. It sounds amazing.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

As long as you can opt out of PvP, I'll stay interested. I don't want to build something awesome just to have it trashed by a bunch of grieving PLers.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

give ya three guesses why the options for just about everything are endless???!!!! lol freakin f2p scams. Ya you can change yer class at any point with no fuss i bet for the 50$ it probably cost ya there better not be any fuss. Ball park figure on how much real cash it takes to set up yer clanland please.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Clans can pvp against each other.. its however NOT a FFA game,  You can choise to go the PVP mode or you dont, simple as that. besites clan land/space  theres also personal land/space.

people realy should lookup information before complaining and crying.

• achmed20achmed20 Member Posts: 23

i think i just peed myself a little

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by reillan

Tad Williams?  How did I not know about this MMO?

Good question. The MMO is in development for quite a couple of years, and there are screenshots floating around of it since likre 1 1/2 years.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)