Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This reminds me of

MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Home, PAPosts: 89Member Uncommon

This reminds me of a game called Wish.
I watch the video on this game one thing has me puzzled.
Everyone developing this game is donating there time and skills, I give you all props and kudos for that.
However The director has out requests for donations?
I understand all things cost $ for lisencing ect ect. This far exceeds whats required tho.
Is the developer of this tittle stating his time is more important than that of thoes donating there time?

And then on top there will be a subscription fee? to keep the economy and player vs player experience equal and in check?
I understand this for keeping the server up and running. However there are a few issues with this logic.

Many triple A tittle publishers are all switching to the Free to play or micro transactions.
Why pay to play a game when there will be so many out there to pick from, this will lead to a limited player base, not helpful for there goal, putting massive back into MMO.
a better alternative would be add in a micro shop for shiny and flash features. Ones that don't have any direct impact on economy and/or PvP game play.

Looking at the screen shots and video, perhaps just the ones I found. There either all very dark or conception art that don't show any actual footage.

My end thoughts to those who would think about donating. Hold onto your money. Something here just seems a little fishy.

Comments

• Muerte_XMuerte_X ventura, CAPosts: 104Member

They are gathering donations to create a prototye to pitch to investors (first paragraph of kickstarter page). So I believe your suspicion of donating is legitamate in that the project may never see the light of day, but I do not think this is a $25k money grab by the director. Time is one thing, but software and hardware are not free, as well as licencing and other legal. They need money to get it to a presentable level and pitch it to a true investor (don't think they are going to raise $5-20mill on kickstarter).

You can argue FTP/sub all you want, I'm not touching that issue :) And yes, a lot/all of the art besides the vid is concept art i believe. WAY too early to tell, but this looks more like a TES MMO than TESO.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• xidianxidian Toledo, OHPosts: 5Member
    Originally posted by Muerte_X
    They are gathering donations to create a prototye to pitch to investors (first paragraph of kickstarter page). So I believe your suspicion of donating is legitamate in that the project may never see the light of day, but I do not think this is a $25k money grab by the director. Time is one thing, but software and hardware are not free, as well as licencing and other legal. They need money to get it to a presentable level and pitch it to a true investor (don't think they are going to raise $5-20mill on kickstarter). You can argue FTP/sub all you want, I'm not touching that issue :) And yes, a lot/all of the art besides the vid is concept art i believe. WAY too early to tell, but this looks more like a TES MMO than TESO.

Def agree, I know Rob pretty well (met him back in Mortal Online) and he is the most passionate person I know about sandbox games.

and my answer to the F2P question, "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO HELL NO" =P.

• YoubajYoubaj StockholmPosts: 2Member

I think a healthy dose of skepticism and critical analysis of everything is good. But I do think EoC passes that by far. They have been very active in their community for a year now. Delivering new concept art, livestreams of the 3d artists making dungeons and buildings, lore and upgrading the website. 

I think there is always more middleware you can find that enhances the quality of the prototype, it's not the lead developer who is going to keep the exceeds from the kickstarter.  They also have stated that if they get enough through kickstarter, some stuff they do lack the skills to do themselves atm and since they aren't hiring anyone fulltime before they get an investor, they will be hiring some freelancers for some certain stuff. That can cost too. I'm very hopeful now that the kickstarter has been so successfull.

• GrixxittGrixxitt New Orleans, LAPosts: 545Member Uncommon

[My end thoughts to those who would think about donating. Hold onto your money. Something here just seems a little fishy]

Well its not like anyone is being paid right now, and the idea for making a pitch is real. In the meantime hotels and plane tickets etc, won't pay for themselves.

Also, the kickstarter will be over in a couple hours so your fears are more or less inconsequential.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• UzikUzik Jamaica, NYPosts: 281Member Uncommon

Micro transactions do NOT work in competitive PvP games.

No pay to win please.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• deathshrouddeathshroud londonPosts: 1,366Member

embers of caerus has an amazing concept and i really like the team they have put together. I think what they have done so far with such little budget is quite suprising.

They truely get my support however if all things go smoothly the rleease date is 2016. Such a long way off and mmos always run into unforseen circumstances that prolong that release date.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• KhaiyneKhaiyne CanberraPosts: 8Member

We raised $46050 for an investor prototype because that's what our community wanted us to do. There is a market for open world sandbox MMOs. We will not go micro-transaction as it goes completely against our vision and everything we hope to achieve. We've turned this down already.

I'm not sure what you're basing your information on either. You state that the initial $25 000 far exceeds the cost of required licenses. I'm not sure what special deals you have but $25 000 covered our minimum operating costs. The extra pledges have allowed us to look at some additional middleware and we're excited to now be developing an outstanding prototype.

Hopefully we'll see you as an active subscriber in a few years, but until then, I don't think I can say anything else to convince you that hasn't already been said multiple times by our directors.