Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is fun again, what a difference a day makes

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Finally got the free transfer email to move from the Jekk Jekk Tarr to the Harbinger.  I just left the game at 12:00am PST due to maintenance and there were over 260 on the fleet. It felt more crowded than at launch except there was no server queue. Tonight, I easily joined an Operation, did some PVP (which I'm horrible at) did some questing..it was fun..just seeing the chat, grouping, others running around, it makes a world of a difference.  I don't care if the game has 1 server, 20 servers, 100 servers, cost $200MM or $80MM to make, whether it is a clone or not, whether those who have nothing better to do then hover in these forums think the game is a failure or not, etc...what it showed me is that a crowded server makes all the difference in the world.

Hopefully with a few updates like the group finder, the population will grow again. I'm still hoping they do something to make the cities feel more alive like in GW2, but having more players on the server is half the battle :-). Anyway, it was nice to have fun again.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

Good for you mate :]

I my self have even considered going back to TOR for a month just to check out the changes since i canceled my sub in february.

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

Hello my fellow, though former, JJT'er.  I've been kickin' myself over the fact that at launch I chose JJT instead of Harbinger--it was a close decision hinged on the availability of a name one of my characters coveted greatly.  But alls well that ends well so long live The Harbinger!

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Nice you can enjoy the game again :)

I agree that the population indeed makes a lot of difference. I re-rolled on the highest populated PvE server a month after launch and that also increased my enjoyment of the game giganctically.

But I stopped playing anyway because I've been burned out on dungeons, raids and gear progression already in other games completely since end of last year and just don't enjoy them anymore. So it's just not my type of game (at least atm), after having enjoyed the story and shineyness,  just doing repeatables and warzones gets pretty old after having done that every day for 3 months. I ended up just standing in the fleet waiting for queues to pop and working towards getting that last battlemaster item I needed and working towards warhero gear, exactly what I was burned out on.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

The game is real good, and now with a full server a blast to play..

I play with 3-4 diffrent characthers, alternating between them, so I havent gotten very far with any of them..My highest characther is level 32 and been playing since launch off and on, I had a break for a couple of months with the game, and now I'm back :)

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

I simply cannot understand.

How can Bioware wait so long to do server mergers? I left a few months ago because my server was empty.

The more people left the worse it became. This is an MMO for crying out loud, if you cant get a group because there are 100 servers then merge the server already , meh..............

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I didn't quit due to server population, but I did use the online tool to  xfer my characters.  I'm debating renewing my sub for one month, but I'd probably prefer to wait until they add group finders.

My only concern is that I lost my legacy name, which is likely.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by keithian

I don't care if the game has 1 server, 20 servers, 100 servers, cost $200MM or $80MM to make, whether it is a clone or not, whether those who have nothing better to do then hover in these forums think the game is a failure or not, etc

But why the post?

Didn't have anything better to do? ;)

• Sameer1979Sameer1979 Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I don't care if the game has 1 server, 20 servers, 100 servers, cost $200MM or $80MM to make, whether it is a clone or not, whether those who have nothing better to do then hover in these forums think the game is a failure or not, etc

But why the post?

He is expressing himself, is that not allowed anymore?

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

But why the post?

Server maintenance may be a factor, MMO fan.  :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Kickaxe

But why the post?

Server maintenance may be a factor, MMO fan.  :)

lol, actually it was. Had I not been kicked off the server due to maintenance, I wouldn't have been here lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by kiiix

Good for you mate :]

I my self have even considered going back to TOR for a month just to check out the changes since i canceled my sub in february.

If I was you, I would wait until patch 1.3 with the Group Finder. One change that was overdue that I loved was the ability to really customize the UI. I'm picky about that type of thing :-). I also liked that they did that random event recently. They need to do A LOT more of that. Not sure what they are waiting for knowing how successful it was.

There Is Always Hope!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Good for you. I had a fun for the six months I've played it and decided to take a break for awhile. Need to catch up on real life stuff before going back. It was by far the best MMORPG experience I ever had and I look forward to popping back in a few months from now after everything is settled.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

having been gone for awhile, I'm kind of annoyed by this. I played on grand master zym, my realm is up to move. If I come back later, my realm is going to be dead unless I pay for a transfer. If I come back later and the servers are merged, I'll probably lose all my names and such that I've had since pre-release.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I think this is the problem facing most MMO's today. Population issues.

That is why I think BTP model will become the norm because looking at SWTOR I will never sub again but if I had already paid for it I would still log in for a go every now and then.  Loads of people would do this and the population will be mixed up of returning casuals like me and the hardcore fans.  Instead the sub just drives away hundreds of thousands of people who just don't feel its worth it.

Looking at GW2 its really not my sort of game but I will be playing on and off for a couple of years.  Keeps the population bubbling along.

Glad you are having fun in SWTOR again, sadly for me it just doesn't feel 'real/lively enough'.  as you have also suggested in your post.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by quntair
    Yes I agree.

It is shame but the problems largely arose becasue of player play styles.

Players voted for more solo play and largely refused to organise for pvp and operations.     They then complained becasue they had few friends in game couldnt get groups or the end game was non existent (which it was a lie uttered by most becasue they simply hadnt tackled PVE end game content anything like fully) 

Sad but thats the way of the mmorpg thesedays.

I hate to disagree but I was done with ALL group content on two toons within 3 months. And no, I didn't play till my eyes bled. I played a lot but no more than I did wow, and I never came close to finishing all group content in wow on 1 character let alone 2. And I played wow for 5+ years. The playstyle difference imo is as I was fairly sure it would be. Its a single player game with a chat box and some token MMO stuff to attract as many customers as possible. Raids were a joke. I never did nightmare but there was no reason to. There isn't even a reason to do hard mode 4 mans if you have a few friends or dont mind pugging raid content.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by quntair
    Yes I agree.

It is shame but the problems largely arose becasue of player play styles.

Players voted for more solo play and largely refused to organise for pvp and operations.     They then complained becasue they had few friends in game couldnt get groups or the end game was non existent (which it was a lie uttered by most becasue they simply hadnt tackled PVE end game content anything like fully) 

Sad but thats the way of the mmorpg thesedays.

I hate to disagree but I was done with ALL group content on two toons within 3 months. And no, I didn't play till my eyes bled. I played a lot but no more than I did wow, and I never came close to finishing all group content in wow on 1 character let alone 2. And I played wow for 5+ years. The playstyle difference imo is as I was fairly sure it would be. Its a single player game with a chat box and some token MMO stuff to attract as many customers as possible. Raids were a joke. I never did nightmare but there was no reason to. There isn't even a reason to do hard mode 4 mans if you have a few friends or dont mind pugging raid content.

I agree somewhat, but I do think between the PVP scenarios and Group/Operations, Flashpoints etc there is enough Group Content if one chooses to go that route as compared to other games like LOTRO or AOC, etc. What I do agree with is that though I like this game, I admit that its core structure makes it more difficult to be social. For example, I like being on Vent, but I like story also. I found that Vent was so distracting that I had to turn it off since I couldn't hear the story lol. Also, when Im constantly in cut scenes, I tend to ignore Guild Chat, World Chat, etc so it kind of forces you to be a little less social. I don't think that will change, however, they can certainly address core issues of make cities feel more like citiies and cantinas, etc feel more like places they should have been...that I agree with...even if that wasn't your point lol.

There Is Always Hope!