Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THEY.STOLE.MY.NAME! *mad*

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

[mod edit]

If he is a paying customer, then he is special, however if he's currently unsubbed, he really has no rights, and I'm surprised more companies don't just make the name available for any character that is inactive for a certain period of time.

I guess it would make many players angry, if you return to a beloved char for an expansion or what and find it renamed in "DofusXYZ12345". Still, if a merge happens, IMVPO the older taken should have precedence.

IMO, once you leave, you lose all rights to the names, the current paying customers have the right to them.

Besides WOW, how many people really ever go back?

Oh heck I do!

I returned at least a while to almost all games! I returned many times to EQ2, LOTRO and even games like Vanguard, Warhammer, AoC, CoH, CO, STO... heck all mayor titles. I park my chars and return often for big patches or expansions, and I would be royally pissed knowing they mistreat my chars I put so much work, and usually worked to max level at the time being. If I play a char to max level and am out of content, I think it is my right to keep that name.

I just checked. My lost name chars are level 50, 50, 42, 37 and 24 and the other people who "took" my names are level 1-10 all of them. Sorry but I think my first come and my hard work gives me the higher right. I mean, heck, I have TWO max level chars who were created on day one, which had to drop their name for some level 3 chars!

I mean, if I lost the name for some low level char, fine. But two max level chars I REALLY put lotsa work into, and I lose them for some level 3 toon who prolly isn't even played anymore. Thats just absurd.

Sidenote: I kept playing SWTOR because it was Star Wars. Yeah I am that sort of superfan. And it is NOT all bad. I had fun those 2 class stories through. But I can see what is good even when I critizise other stuff, no?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

God, I am so mad right now. You see, the JekkJekkThar finally got it's "merge" with The Harbinger. Now when I moved my chars, I lost my names. ALL OF THEM. Ok save, Elikal, but I lost SEVEN of my EIGHT names. And yes, I understand for some people it means nothing. But you see, I have these same 5 names for 8 frigging years. I am attached to them, some especially.

I was Akim TelBane in SWG for 7 frigging years.

I was Akim TelBane in EQ2 for 6 years.

I was Akim TelBane in LOTRO for 3 years.

And they TOOK THE NAME FROM ME.

What is stopping you from turning Akim TelBane into Akime TelBane, A`kim TelBane, Akim Telbane etc.etc.  And for goodness sakes it's just a name.

I had extra preordered SWTOR. I had entered the game in the first few minutes to make sure I get those names I always have. Akim, Matteo, Aryan, Sarnok and Elikal. I have these persona every time. Heck, they even more or less LOOK the same, have the same bio. And now, all but Elikal were taken. Chance is by people who cancelled or came much later. This stinks. And for me it is really the breaking point, where I feel like, ok I can't take it anymore. Not ANOTHER compromise.

You've declared "I QUIT!!" more times than I can count. I'd say as much grief as you seem to have with the most little of things with this game the best thing to do is quit and finally mean it.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

God, I am so mad right now. You see, the JekkJekkThar finally got it's "merge" with The Harbinger. Now when I moved my chars, I lost my names. ALL OF THEM. Ok save, Elikal, but I lost SEVEN of my EIGHT names. And yes, I understand for some people it means nothing. But you see, I have these same 5 names for 8 frigging years. I am attached to them, some especially.

What is stopping you from turning Akim TelBane into Akime TelBane, A`kim TelBane, Akim Telbane etc.etc.  And for goodness sakes it's just a name.

I had extra preordered SWTOR. I had entered the game in the first few minutes to make sure I get those names I always have. Akim, Matteo, Aryan, Sarnok and Elikal. I have these persona every time. Heck, they even more or less LOOK the same, have the same bio. And now, all but Elikal were taken. Chance is by people who cancelled or came much later. This stinks. And for me it is really the breaking point, where I feel like, ok I can't take it anymore. Not ANOTHER compromise.

You've declared "I QUIT!!" more times than I can count. I'd say as much grief as you seem to have with the most little of things with this game the best thing to do is quit and finally mean it.

"Anger is never dishonest."

- Marc Aurel

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

When you're angry about other people stealing your names (or getting them instead of you), it's not actually a good idea to openly list them all in a very public forum.  Just sayin'

That said, I can relate in a big way.  I lost all my names in EQ which I had since 99/00 during the last merge.  Was my fault for not playing at the time.. But wow.. That was a big punch to the gut for me.  Included was the very first character I ever created in any MMO.  That name is gone forever like the others (in EQ). 

Haven't played since.. Not saying that's the only reason.. But I couldn't honestly tell you whether it is or not.

in short, bummer dude.  I've been there.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

This is one thing I'm worried about returning too. I've been gone for quite awhile.

My server is on the "origin" list. If I come back in a few months from now, my server is going to be absolutely dead and I'll have to PAY for transfers.

Assuming they merge servers with the destination server, I'll have to change my names(legacy and character names) that I've had since pre-release. These are MY names that I'VE had since before the game was even released, why should I have to give them up to someone who started a week ago because bioware couldn't properly manage the game..

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

BioWare screwed up by making a double unique naming system.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Try to see of customer support can help somehow, since most the characters that forced you to change yours are level 10 or below. I'm not sure if they are inactive or not. Choosing the most populated server (#1 or #2) when a game launches helps, but that isn't always a guarantee.

This was unavoidable because of 2 reasons. The name you listed only has 4 letters. With the game having 1.7 million subscribers at launch, and each account probably having one or two alts, it was inevitable that names would be gone fast. The other reason is that the server transfers are being done from 216 down to 20-30 servers. So unless you were part of the server that was labeled destination, there was almost a 0% chances that all of your characters would retain their names.

And let’s say for the sake of argument that almost everyone dabbled with one or two alts... at least... you are easily looking at 4-5 million names in their database.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I haven't played SWTOR in a pretty long while, but my friend told me to transfer my characters.  I checked to see if I could without resubbing, and I could.  Do you have to rename your character when you log in, or do your names transfer unless someone has taken it?  I have no plans to go back anytime soon, but just curious for if I do.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Wow that totally sucks. Another hidden causalty of SWTOR Fail.....

• NerphNerph Member UncommonPosts: 69

So you say the oldest name should get priority, i get that... but how do you know it didnt?

Akim isnt exactly a unique name and just how many people reserved names early from all the 100's of server which are now (i think) 18 or however many it is, who is to say 1 of them didnt reserve akim before you?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

This is quite a big thing where SWTOR is concerned, where its main concern is around creating alts and the Legacy.

The only backup plan for these things, is to try and have backup names, but when your main is taken, it still sucks.

There is no chance of losing your names in STO, and when EQ2 merged servers the ones who played the longest kept their names. I did not play a character in EQ2 much, and when the servers merged and charcaters moved into the server I was on, I had to change my name, as the other person who was moving in was more active than I was, which is fair enough. SWG still had similar problems but you could choose a few more servers, and one may have been OK.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by ktanner3

- Marc Aurel

"Though it is often misplaced"

Thankfully Anet had this problem solved back in 2005. 1 Game, 1 Database in GW1. The same system is being used in GW2 Eventhough there are multiple servers there is only 1 Database. Meaning if server mergers are needed no one will lose their names.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Thankfully Anet had this problem solved back in 2005. 1 Game, 1 Database in GW1. The same system is being used in GW2 Eventhough there are multiple servers there is only 1 Database. Meaning if server mergers are needed no one will lose their names.

Downside of course being that virtually all popular names are unavailable.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I was lucky enough to have my characters in the destination server (26 out of the 216). I chose the most heavily populated PVE N.A. East server when the game opened. But even so, you have to take into account, how many names are there? How many characters and alts are out there with all these unique names? I mean it is easily in the millions. When you have a server transfer of this scope with that many names, it was inevitable unless you lucked out in being one of the 26 servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

[mod edit]

If he is a paying customer, then he is special, however if he's currently unsubbed, he really has no rights, and I'm surprised more companies don't just make the name available for any character that is inactive for a certain period of time.

I guess it would make many players angry, if you return to a beloved char for an expansion or what and find it renamed in "DofusXYZ12345". Still, if a merge happens, IMVPO the older taken should have precedence.

IMO, once you leave, you lose all rights to the names, the current paying customers have the right to them.

Besides WOW, how many people really ever go back?

Oh heck I do!

I returned at least a while to almost all games! I returned many times to EQ2, LOTRO and even games like Vanguard, Warhammer, AoC, CoH, CO, STO... heck all mayor titles. I park my chars and return often for big patches or expansions, and I would be royally pissed knowing they mistreat my chars I put so much work, and usually worked to max level at the time being. If I play a char to max level and am out of content, I think it is my right to keep that name.

I just checked. My lost name chars are level 50, 50, 42, 37 and 24 and the other people who "took" my names are level 1-10 all of them. Sorry but I think my first come and my hard work gives me the higher right. I mean, heck, I have TWO max level chars who were created on day one, which had to drop their name for some level 3 chars!

I mean, if I lost the name for some low level char, fine. But two max level chars I REALLY put lotsa work into, and I lose them for some level 3 toon who prolly isn't even played anymore. Thats just absurd.

Sidenote: I kept playing SWTOR because it was Star Wars. Yeah I am that sort of superfan. And it is NOT all bad. I had fun those 2 class stories through. But I can see what is good even when I critizise other stuff, no?

Well I'm going to agree with you, when doing server merges the question comes down to what is the proper algorithim to use in deciding who gets to keep their name.

Looks like they took the easy route (no surprise) and decided that the destination server character takes precedence over incoming characters.  Like you, i don't agree, especially when as you pointed out, your characters are more mature.

I'm sure they were thinking that since the moves were voluntary, it was your choice to do so.  Of course there was no way for you to know when you moved that the names were taken.

Screwy all the way around, and no matter which way they went, were bound to piss off someone.  In your case it looks like perhaps your names were taken by largely inactive characters, but I know that if I was actively playing a character and the Dev's took my name away  because some transfer character was older or whatever I'd be just as pissed and even more likely to unsub since I didn't do anything.

From their viewpoint, I'm sure they are thinking "its just a name" and not really appreciating how attached players can get to their identity in a MMORPG. 

But then all along they've shown they don't really understand what makes a good MMORPG, and why their title is perceived more as just another game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56

this still goin on lol, my adivce.. get over it man, it happens to every 1 at some point.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Well I'm going to agree with you, when doing server merges the question comes down to what is the proper algorithim to use in deciding who gets to keep their name.

There is a simple, correct answer to that:  everyone gets to keep his character names.  If your system doesn't allow that, you're doing it wrong.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Naqaj

I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Sorry I don't care to run into a million legolasses and such.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

- Marc Aurel

A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green.
    Francis Bacon

You have to be careful with those aphorism quotes, there's always an opposite one.  And in the case of SWTOR, a particularly appropriate one (all that bottled up anger and the crusades that never, ever end).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Heh

An angry man opens his mouth and shuts his eyes.
    Cato

Expressing anger is a form of public littering.
    Willard Gaylin

Get mad, then get over it.
    Colin Powell

so many...never mind, point overstated already.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Naqaj

I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Sorry I don't care to run into a million legolasses and such.

LOL come on, you know how much fun it is to run into "Ender" in EVE, must be at least 5K of them. 

EVE uses a first name, last name system, so while there can be only one Ender (no last name) there are 4,999 out there with a last name as well.

And as was mentiioned, if the game design doesn't account for this, they were doing it wrong in the first place, especially in this day and age when Dev's know server mergers are part of the planned product lifecycle.

But as I said, it was pretty clear Bioware really didn't know what they were doing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Icewhite

- Marc Aurel

A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green.
    Francis Bacon

You have to be careful with those aphorism quotes, there's always an opposite one.  And in the case of SWTOR, a particularly appropriate one (all that bottled up anger and the crusades that never, ever end).

You either want to understand me or you want to ridicule me. It is clear to me you just want to attack me.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Heh

An angry man opens his mouth and shuts his eyes.
    Cato

Expressing anger is a form of public littering.
    Willard Gaylin

Get mad, then get over it.
    Colin Powell

so many...never mind, point overstated already.

All good lines that are very appropriate.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

You either want to understand me or you want to ridicule me. It is clear to me you just want to attack me.

Actually, I was just responding to your aphorism in kind.  Does the tinfoil warm up at times?

Ktanner, this is all your bloody fault, if you didn't quote it a page back, I might never even have noticed it.

This discussion has been closed.