Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously WHY?!

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I am not making any point, just quoting relevant part of the text. Also, it is no belief, it is official number reported by CCP.

ahh ok, makes sense now. I didnt see the point in copy/pasting from the blog so that is why I thoguht you were trying to infer something further. Thanks for clarifying.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Been a while since i played.  And about the issues you brought up, they were swiftly addressed in the replies.

I love the game personally.  After getting in good with my first corp, and walking away with a very nice bundle for a newbie, I started scoping out and stealing other peoples' salvage behind them. 

It sounds horrible.. But damn that was fun.

It's the only MMO I can think of where just about anything is "fair" play.  Gotta love that.. If you .. you know .. love that.  =D

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Eve is about PvP and PKing. Sure you could try playing the game solo (Ive played mostly as an explorer with cloaking) but to really enjoy the game like other say you have to have a group of people to fly with. If not for protection from other players, then even at minimum to kill the PvE ships for good loot. Even when mining (which some say you can do solo) youll be targetted by PvP.

Thats just the way EvE is. Its a game full of gankers and scammers.

Just gotta love how Goonsquad is gonna cost CCP subscriptions. Just gotta wonder if CCP will notice too?

Do you actually play the game, I tend tend to believe not, first off it is GoonSwarm Federation and is an alliance, not Goonsquad, with a few select corps within the alliance like GoonWaffe.  CCP will do what about mittens and company, ban them for playing the game in it's parameters? Seriously some people will spew anything out, the goons actually contribute to the whole atmosphere of Eve, like it or not.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Eve is about PvP and PKing. Sure you could try playing the game solo (Ive played mostly as an explorer with cloaking) but to really enjoy the game like other say you have to have a group of people to fly with. If not for protection from other players, then even at minimum to kill the PvE ships for good loot. Even when mining (which some say you can do solo) youll be targetted by PvP.

Thats just the way EvE is. Its a game full of gankers and scammers.

Just gotta love how Goonsquad is gonna cost CCP subscriptions. Just gotta wonder if CCP will notice too?

Not Goons are costing them subscriptions but the fact that most people, like you, simply aren't cut for Eve Online. It's HTFU or GTFO. Also, you're just a vocal minority, as it is with crybabies. Why would you want to ban the Goons or do them any harm? They're the only ones actually the playing instead of crying about how that's impossible because of the Goons.

You losers make me sick. With an attitude like that, you will be on the bottom of the food chain, in- and outside of Eve. Nothing to do with Goons. You're a loser and a crybaby. That's your problem.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Not Goons are costing them subscriptions but the fact that most people, like you, simply aren't cut for Eve Online. It's HTFU or GTFO. Also, you're just a vocal minority, as it is with crybabies. Why would you want to ban the Goons or do them any harm? They're the only ones actually the playing instead of crying about how that's impossible because of the Goons.

You losers make me sick. With an attitude like that, you will be on the bottom of the food chain, in- and outside of Eve. Nothing to do with Goons. You're a loser and a crybaby. That's your problem.

I laugh at the idea that arguing that "so-and-so is a crybaby, and thusly not cut out to play EVE" is a solid stance that CCP is willing to take on your behalf. Historical evidence has shown they cater to said crybabies, and will continue to tweak the game in order to appeal to a 'broader audience' (*hiss*... not *that* word).

Long story short, you're f**king with their money.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The Press Release about China refers to players worldwide, which means it includes the Chinese server numbers. Historically, when subscriber numbers are relayed, since they are often used in conjunction with the single-server universe of Tranquility, they don't included China. 

I see, thanks.

I was just wondering where the number came from as I was not aware of press release you talk about and no one using the number I asked was able to provide source.

Seems like this year will be crucial for CCP and EVE Online.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

This arguement actully spills over to why DayZ is so hugely popular, when you first soawn you take alot of risks, but after a couple of days being alive and having great gear you creep around always looking over your shoulder andavoid human contact in the event something happens.

Its the same for Eve but this is what makes the game exciting to play :)

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

I'm sure I'll be assaulted as a carebear, but all I do in EVE is PVP and in my opinion SP loss, just like the learning skills, is an outdated idea that needs to go. The loss of implants should be sufficient death penalty, not SP just because you forget to do some super routine. Never had it happen to me, but it would really suck.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

What fun is building stuff if there is never any risk of it getting torn down?  And think of the litter!  People would build shit all over the place and then quit and no one would ever be able to get rid of it.

I totally agree with the OP.  Thats why I quit.  I was no kind of "real" EvE player in the end I guess.  I made more than enough to buy plexes and play for free. 

Here's the real question.  Why build stuff if there is a risk of it getting torn down?  Because my ship cost about 3.5 billion all said and done.  That was a lot to me because never dabbled in the economy much.  Yea I sold basic materials all the time and bought, but nothing major.   If that ship got destroyed it would take most of my resources or all to replace it.  If that got destroyed Im out. 

I just quit before that happened.  Now loosing a clone I never worried about.  Thats easy to keep up with.  But loosing a ship?  I barely ever indulged in PVP for that reason.  Its just not worth it to me.   Its too extreme.  I dont mind a loss.  I do mind total devastation if it happens. 

You know this whole loosing your ship permanently is why many players quit.  Lets put a mechanic into the game where if a ship, carefully modded and took major investement to set up, gets defeated its gone forever.  Thats NOT a good mechanic.  You might like it. 

But EvE would have been far more successful and far more profitable without it.  Period.  Like I said, I dont mind a loss of some kind.  I do mind the total devastation when it occurs.  To where you just want to quit.   EvE is flawed in that way, and always will be.  Which is why it doesnt have mass amounts of players. 

Plus the crafting is incredibly complicated.  Missions at level 4 require you looking them up online to see how to go about it because if you dont figure out the spawn relations between the battle groups, you get slaughtered.  Thats just silly.  EvE has a lot of problems the stubborn developers just wont ever change.  Because its their vision.  I can actually respect that.  I just dont have to play it. 

Gave it 6 months.  Had a good time.  Burned out. 

Originally posted by VassagoMael

I'm sure I'll be assaulted as a carebear, but all I do in EVE is PVP and in my opinion SP loss, just like the learning skills, is an outdated idea that needs to go. The loss of implants should be sufficient death penalty, not SP just because you forget to do some super routine. Never had it happen to me, but it would really suck.

Your point isn't very clear here. SP loss?

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Yeah if you get podded with an inadequate clone you lose skill points. I think that is garbage and needs to be thrown out, especially in a training over time kind of game.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Corehaven

What fun is building stuff if there is never any risk of it getting torn down?  And think of the litter!  People would build shit all over the place and then quit and no one would ever be able to get rid of it.

I totally agree with the OP.  Thats why I quit.  I was no kind of "real" EvE player in the end I guess.  I made more than enough to buy plexes and play for free. 

Here's the real question.  Why build stuff if there is a risk of it getting torn down?  Because my ship cost about 3.5 billion all said and done.  That was a lot to me because never dabbled in the economy much.  Yea I sold basic materials all the time and bought, but nothing major.   If that ship got destroyed it would take most of my resources or all to replace it.  If that got destroyed Im out. 

Why did you need to spend 3.5 billion on said ship. Chances are you could have done the same with a far less expensive setup, albeit a little slower, but you could have accomplished the same goals. One of the core tenents of EVE is "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose". This means that if you went out and got that 3.5 billion isk ship blown up PVP'ing and didn't have the resources to replace it that is a mistake that YOU made, not the game. This is one of the things that makes EVE so appealing to some....consequences.

I just quit before that happened.  Now loosing a clone I never worried about.  Thats easy to keep up with.  But loosing a ship?  I barely ever indulged in PVP for that reason.  Its just not worth it to me.   Its too extreme.  I dont mind a loss.  I do mind total devastation if it happens. 

Again, don't fly what you can't afford to lose. Instead of flying the uber expensive officer fit ship into PVP (nobody does that really) and getting it blown up, you could have bought and fitted 6-8 other pvp ships (at least) with the same funds and still had plenty of money left over if they all got blown up.

You know this whole loosing your ship permanently is why many players quit.  Lets put a mechanic into the game where if a ship, carefully modded and took major investement to set up, gets defeated its gone forever.  Thats NOT a good mechanic.  You might like it. 

It's clearly not a good mechanic for you, but it IS a good gameplay mechanic. It's the reason why the economy in EVE works. Without that destruction there would be nothing to build and you would get runaway inflation (i.e. every other MMO on the market)

But EvE would have been far more successful and far more profitable without it.  Period.  Like I said, I dont mind a loss of some kind.  I do mind the total devastation when it occurs.  To where you just want to quit.   EvE is flawed in that way, and always will be.  Which is why it doesnt have mass amounts of players. 

EVE is plenty profitable now, as well as successfull. Sure it doesn't have WoW-like numbers but then who does. WoW was a one-off phenomenon and even Blizzard won't be able to match the numbers they have in WoW right now with their next game.

Plus the crafting is incredibly complicated.  Missions at level 4 require you looking them up online to see how to go about it because if you dont figure out the spawn relations between the battle groups, you get slaughtered.  Thats just silly.  EvE has a lot of problems the stubborn developers just wont ever change.  Because its their vision.  I can actually respect that.  I just dont have to play it. 

• PolypropylenPolypropylen Member Posts: 30

Thanks man, you got it!

But in my opinion the total loss of a ship just makes sense in this game, so if a developer would make a EVE clone with said improvements keep the destruction! But it should be possible to make an insurance for EVERYTHING, not just the ship without its fitting!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

When everyone is a hero, no one is.

I'm rather tired of the "You're such a special snowflake!" stories that heavy themepark games keep throwing at me. Just give me a neat world design and fun gameplay, and save the hero angle for offline games.

<3

Yeah if you get podded with an inadequate clone you lose skill points. I think that is garbage and needs to be thrown out, especially in a training over time kind of game.

Mistakes do have consequences, even such silly mistakes... I guess you will remember next time :)

(The SP loss is limited to highest ranked, highest trained skill with a hard cap of 2M or so)

Originally posted by Polypropylen

Thanks man, you got it!

I am afraid he did not, his point of view is just very limited.

If you were able to insure everything, economically, the demand for new ships would be kept but the ship loss would become meaningless which is also a part of the game design and have it's role in the game.

It would be like PVP with instant respawns...mindless frag game.

Originally posted by Polypropylen

Thanks man, you got it!

But in my opinion the total loss of a ship just makes sense in this game, so if a developer would make a EVE clone with said improvements keep the destruction! But it should be possible to make an insurance for EVERYTHING, not just the ship without its fitting!

Well insurance is really not anything significant either.  Even for the ships.  Id appreciate 70% of the worth of my ship for insurance and the same for my mods at least. 

Then?  I might venture out more.  Its really harsh as is.  You dont even get anything much if you loose your ship.  Much less the mods and the configuration as a whole. 

But its just slightly too harsh for me to dig into PVP.  Proably the core meat of the game. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

One really has to go some in order for that to happen. You have to have your ship blown up and then get podded, and even then you only lose SP if you forgot to upgrade your clone. Also, PVPing with your good implant in is kinda crazy but, just like the UO players that would bring a silver broadswordof vanquishing to a PVP battle, people do it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

But its just slightly too harsh for me to dig into PVP.  Proably the core meat of the game. 

The only people PvPing in expensive ships wardec smaller noob corps and demand a ransom, and know full well that they can sit out front 24-hours a day and smoke whatever sticks it's head out.

Everyone else sets a PvP budget and uses cheap ships they don't mind losing. Makes me wonder if there is any way to actually *make* money by PvPing... besides ransoming.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Well insurance is really not anything significant either.Even for the ships.

Not a long ago, you could make money off the insurance by buying a ship form market and blowing it up.

But I guess that getting more money from insurance than you paid for your ship is not "significant" in your book...

I do not want to sound mean but you just make very unfounded assumptions.

EVE is huge and complex and I encourage you to take it easy, shrug off all prejudices you have and explore the game.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by GTwander

The only people PvPing in expensive ships wardec smaller noob corps and demand a ransom, and know full well that they can sit out front 24-hours a day and smoke whatever sticks it's head out.

Everyone else sets a PvP budget and uses cheap ships they don't mind losing. Makes me wonder if there is any way to actually *make* money by PvPing... besides ransoming.

"Cheap" is relative. In one sense you are absolutely correct: I rarely undock in a ship that's worth more than, oh, 5% of my total assets. On the other hand, I have a lot of assets and plenty of liquid ISK, so it's not a big deal for me to fly nicely fitted Tech 3s and pirate faction ships worth 750mill or a bill. And I'm really not even that rich by EVE standards - prosperous middle class at best.

By now I'm good enough at not losing ships that I can pretty much live off my accumulated assets and ISK for very long periods of time. My major motivation to not lose ships now isn't so much that I'll have to pay to replace them, but that I'll shit up our killboard. Plus personal pride I guess.

It's theoretically possible to make ISK PvPing, but in practice, PvP is a negative-sum game, so it's only possible for a small minority. The percentage of the total value of a destroyed ship that's recoverable as loot and salvage is usually pretty small. PvP for most is what you get ISK for, not what you get ISK with.

Those who do make worthwhile ISK PvPing are people who do things like Freighter gank ops. People usually then tell them that attacking "helpless" cargo ships for ISK "isn't real PvP". As if real life pirates were chivalrous sea-knights who wouldn't lower themselves to attack fat merchant ships, but sought combat with navy battleships for "good fights" :eyeroll:

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by GTwander

I laugh at the idea that arguing that "so-and-so is a crybaby, and thusly not cut out to play EVE" is a solid stance that CCP is willing to take on your behalf. Historical evidence has shown they cater to said crybabies, and will continue to tweak the game in order to appeal to a 'broader audience' (*hiss*... not *that* word).

Long story short, you're f**king with their money.

Source?

Historical evidence?

Also, what's "my behalf"? I don't do pew pew. I'm a trader. But I know how Eve is played and what the game is designed for. Do you even play or is this another subforum that you frequently post rubbish in without any real clue?

Originally posted by FastSlothSource?

Right there:
    www.eve-online.com

Over the years CCP has made many changes catering to "crybabies" and people not so much minded about risk and PVP.

Afterall, that is what the most populated game space is for. CCP would be silly to ignore it because believe it or not, even "losers and crybabies" are paying customers and seems they are quite a number of them.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Why that sounds a lot like Star Wars Galaxies, but it couldn't be, much like Guild Wars 2 you're ot allowed  to speak ill of that game on this site...

As for the original post. I don't think the game needs changing, in a "sandbox" game the people become the hero through their own actions, not from a story line or some such. 

Now if someone could just make EvE but with dragons and swords and wizards and the like... Then again, it would be kind of odd to see 20 spaceships standing in the bazaar telling Chuck Norris "jokes"...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!