Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Massive Ground Battles Detailed in New Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment and the PlanetSide 2 team have released a new trailer called "Ground Assault on Tech Plant HVAR" that shows off some incredible combat. It's a must-see for fans of PlanetSide 2. Enjoy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I just found out that PS2 will be F2P. Why? The game looks great. I like the dev vedio blogs and everything, but why F2P?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by bcbully
    I just found out that PS2 will be F2P. Why?

Smedley

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• onilisonilis Member Posts: 15

F2P with what they have shown on the table so far? My guess would be that it wont be as enjoyable to play unless you put some cash into it constantly. Unlocking your classes, weapons, and vehicle perks will probably be a pain in the ass without slipping SOE a couple 20's.

Of course i would love to be proved wrong. And have everything unlocked at a reasonable pase with micro transactions for cosmetics only.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I would gladly give them 5-10 a month on stuff for this game, but If you read more about it, it s cosmetic stuff, xp potions etc. Another example is an ability to make your guns rate of fire quicker, but less damaging per shot, ie doesn t change the power of it, just to your playstyle.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I think anyone would be crazy to actually believe that you are not going to have to put some extra money into this game to be on par with people that do...

They can spout that it really doesn't effect game play crap all they want, but show me ONE fps that has the F2P model and where you can purchase stuff and the people who can buy stuff don't have a advantage over those that don't.

And since these devs are in love with Team Fortress, BF and battlefield heros you can bet it will be the same with Planetside 2.

However I do not mind paying up to 15 bucks on things in this game, since thats pretty much what I put on MMO's to include the orginal Planetside... I just don't won't to have to spend more in order to be on par with some of the better players.

On a side note, I think that's the first vid where I actually got to see the engy class heal something.  While I don't like this new class system crap PS2 is going with, it's good to finally see more of it.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Cool, but I would've liked more meat than that! :P Still awesome nonetheless.

Also, there's going to be nothing in this game that you can't unlock as a free player apparently. So the gap between payers and freeloaders will probably only really be in the beginning before everyone has unlocked the features they want for their setup.

- Very interesting info here.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

promotional videos always look awesome, because in the real situation, i can guarantee you that are going to be a lot of assholes who play the game, like crashing aircraft on purpose, trolling with the tank  etc etc

team play like the video? yes maybe, but again, there will be some random asshole who will ruin others experience in a game like this

So What Now?

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by TweFoju

promotional videos always look awesome, because in the real situation, i can guarantee you that are going to be a lot of assholes who play the game, like crashing aircraft on purpose, trolling with the tank  etc etc

team play like the video? yes maybe, but again, there will be some random asshole who will ruin others experience in a game like this

The small price you pay for freedom my friend. I wouldmuch rather have the occasional idiots TKing someone than a linear game with barely any freedom and tons of restraints on player interaction.

Take the game im currently playing, Mount and Blade:Napoleonic Wars

100V100 battles, and yes you have people who will TK someone right at the start, or shoot a cannon off and kill a group of people. Does it suck? Yeah! Of course it sucks cause it can put you out of the action for 5 minutes or so. Will that person get banned if they do it multiple times? YUP! And then the problem is gone. And its back to some of the most intense fighting you can find in a shooter.

The point is, your always going to have assholes, so if you dumb down the game to try and remove them, all your left with is a dumb game with dumb assholes playing it. Sophisticated games drive away more assholes than simple-linear ones trust me and you get a better experiance out of it.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Tribes Acend shows FTP can work in a FPS and companies do not need to resort to P2P, Bring it on. 

A FTP game ensures there also lots of players around and does not stop guilds doing huge galaxy drops and organised assaults while the scrubs distract the other team(s).  Never played PS1 at it's peek but PS2 for an SOE game is looking damn fine.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

lol

you guys are so predictable.

"woah woah woah... freee, TO plaaaaay?  Mah guess iz u gonna haf to put cash in 2 cash shop! or no fun 2 be had here-ah!"

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by onilis

F2P with what they have shown on the table so far? My guess would be that it wont be as enjoyable to play unless you put some cash into it constantly. Unlocking your classes, weapons, and vehicle perks will probably be a pain in the ass without slipping SOE a couple 20's.

Of course i would love to be proved wrong. And have everything unlocked at a reasonable pase with micro transactions for cosmetics only.

Yea I worry about that too.  Very much so.  I would have actually been more comfortable with it if it at least was Buy to Play. 

Im expecting something like Battlefield Heros.  Which I did play and liked for a distraction.  Its entirely P2W.  But then, never having spent a dime, I actually always did very well in it.  As simple as it was.  So hopefully the dorks can P2W all they want.  And I'll be right there to show them they didnt win jack.  By putting a bullet through their noggin. 

Or at least I hope.  We'll just have to see I guess. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

looking forward to giving this title a go....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

The small price you pay for freedom my friend. I wouldmuch rather have the occasional idiots TKing someone than a linear game with barely any freedom and tons of restraints on player interaction.

100V100 battles, and yes you have people who will TK someone right at the start, or shoot a cannon off and kill a group of people. Does it suck? Yeah! Of course it sucks cause it can put you out of the action for 5 minutes or so. Will that person get banned if they do it multiple times? YUP! And then the problem is gone. And its back to some of the most intense fighting you can find in a shooter.

The point is, your always going to have assholes, so if you dumb down the game to try and remove them, all your left with is a dumb game with dumb assholes playing it. Sophisticated games drive away more assholes than simple-linear ones trust me and you get a better experiance out of it.

well put jiveturkey....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

The best part is aholes who give you TKs and do it on purpuse to grief you. I can remember many times throwing grenades where my teammates would see it fly into the hall then run after it like morons and weapon lock me. Idiots who would jump in front of your tank. People who walk in front of you when your shooting.

It's very hard not to TK someone who is trying to die to you.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by nilden

The best part is aholes who give you TKs and do it on purpuse to grief you. I can remember many times throwing grenades where my teammates would see it fly into the hall then run after it like morons and weapon lock me. Idiots who would jump in front of your tank. People who walk in front of you when your shooting.

It's very hard not to TK someone who is trying to die to you.

Play in organised outfit who know how not to run in front of other shooting and instead go around the back of them.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Those jet packs better have as short burts as the vanu ps1 maxes did, any longer than that and it will just be silly how many bouncing about like a gummy bear they'll be as it become the most over played class used along with aircraft bailing

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

thats looks awesome  .  i think f2p would be better for this game it will bring in more players  but i would not mind paying a sub for it . i know a lot fo TAW  members will be  playing  it so fun all round  nice full grps all time

• ekstraekstra Member Posts: 16

Developers are well aware of the "Pay to Win" phobia.

SOE has already said that every weapon in the game is available to players without paying money.  That is good enough for me.  If it takes me twice as long to earn my guns, that's fair to play a top tier MMO for free.

How will SOE earn money?  Players are not patient and will pay to buy unlocks faster than they can earn them otherwise.  You can see this in Tribes: Ascend when people whine that weapon unlocks don't come fast enough.

So, if you have time and no money - an amazing free game with slower unlocks.

If you have money and no time - pay for some bling (and faster unlocks).

If you don't want to pay anything, the best idea is to specialize in a playstyle that you know will suit you from other games so you don't waste points.  That way you will have the best gear in game for your specialization.

Players who decide to pay the piper will have more unlocks to play with and more flexibility to swap between different playstyles while playing.

However a game company chooses to structure their game, expect game forums everywhere to be roughly 50% full of whiners complaining about something or other.  Even if this were a completely free game with everything unlocked for you at the beginning, I guarantee you that 50% of the forum posts would be dedicated to some sort of whine, my guess is balance.

I'm proud to have been a gamer for just over 30 years now, but sometimes I'm so ashamed of our collective bitchiness. 

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

I liked it a lot. Would register for beta. Probably my first FPS MMO interest.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

omg, stop cryiong about f2p, that's what sony thinks is the future of their games. be happy you DONT Have to pay monthly costs.

name one shooter you'd pay a monthly fee for, right, you dont, you play shooters and that'S it.

quite logical to go that step with PS2, and this news is so old ... if you didn't knew you are new to planetside anyway, so dont get yourselfs too angry about something you didnt care about for ages ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by bcbully

I just found out that PS2 will be F2P. Why? The game looks great. I like the dev vedio blogs and everything, but why F2P?

wow this comments is so weird ..!

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I was under the assumption there was a sub so this is great news to me. pay2win gets such bad rep and the internet is so quick to persecute I think companies are starting to get its a bad move long term.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

if they want to troll with their expensive vtanks and  ships thats all them

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138

I'll gladly give Sony my money when this game comes out F2P! Even if it's $5-$10 worth of stuff per month.