Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Seriously WHY?!

PolypropylenPolypropylen Male, MTPosts: 30Member
I played EVE about half a year and here is what i really think it's positive:
+great graphics
+really really huge world to play in
+FUCKIN COOL SPACESHIPS WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?

i often think about reactivating my old account but there is this negative thing that makes me leave EVE again(if i resubscribed) or don't even resubscribe:
-as someone that plays solo 75% of his time there is no story to become the hero and i don't like the risk of lossing my ship and my clone and SP....

So seriously, there are even more people out there which think the same as i do then people who actually play the game!
Why didn't any gamedev ever try to do something like EVE, but more WOWish or like GuildWars....of course don't change the sandbox aspect of the game!

I don't want you guys to tell me why you think i'm wrong or that you got an other opinion....and no offense postings please :( i'm just a poor german guy that hopes his team will win EURO2012 :)
«13

Comments

  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Bellingham, WAPosts: 688Member

    What fun is building stuff if there is never any risk of it getting torn down?  And think of the litter!  People would build shit all over the place and then quit and no one would ever be able to get rid of it.

    Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    image
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

    In MMOs where you play as the "hero", you're often times filled in a world of nothing but heroes.  I find that more boring than being an average person with real struggles trying to succeed in a dangerous world.

    El Psy Congroo

  • SheistaSheista Nixa, MOPosts: 1,203Member Uncommon

    Becoming the hero is up to you in EVE.  No developer gave you a roadmap on how to do it like in most MMOs.  They just give you the tools to become a hero yourself.  Due to EVE's single server architecture, you can be as popular or notorious as you put forth the effort to be.

  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Polypropylen
    I played EVE about half a year and here is what i really think it's positive: +great graphics +really really huge world to play in +FUCKIN COOL SPACESHIPS WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED? i often think about reactivating my old account but there is this negative thing that makes me leave EVE again(if i resubscribed) or don't even resubscribe: -as someone that plays solo 75% of his time there is no story to become the hero and i don't like the risk of lossing my ship and my clone and SP.... So seriously, there are even more people out there which think the same as i do then people who actually play the game! Why didn't any gamedev ever try to do something like EVE, but more WOWish or like GuildWars....of course don't change the sandbox aspect of the game! I don't want you guys to tell me why you think i'm wrong or that you got an other opinion....and no offense postings please :( i'm just a poor german guy that hopes his team will win EURO2012 :)

    Can't lose SP if you have the right clone to cover the SP you have.   As for why EVE is the way EVE is...it wouldn't be EVE if it wasn't.  

    EVE is a game you and I, and many others, seem to have this on going love / hate releationship with.   It would be so cool if...if...see the "if" is always getting in there and CCP doesn't care about the "if".   They never did.   So "if" you think CCP will ever make EVE into a more rounded and versatile MMO...I think you and I will be long dead before that happens.  You'd have a better chance of making a new game yourself.

    image
  • MishakaiMishakai westminster, COPosts: 105Member
    Originally posted by Sheista

    Becoming the hero is up to you in EVE.  No developer gave you a roadmap on how to do it like in most MMOs.  They just give you the tools to become a hero yourself.  Due to EVE's single server architecture, you can be as popular or notorious as you put forth the effort to be.

    What this guy said.  You get what you give in EVE.  If you want to be known, make yourself known.  If you want a game that essentialy does the heroic part for you, then you really should consider a different MMO.  

    If you're losing SP all the time, you aren't cloning properly.

  • UhwopUhwop Wilm, DEPosts: 1,663Member Uncommon

    You're an immortal demi-god. 

    The storyline is already there, you/re just not being told YOUR story through quests, because it's a sandbox.  Someone could make a space WoW, but it would never be anything like EVE. 

    Losing a ship is not a big deal.  Before you put it in harms way, make sure you have another one fitted, and in your hanger.   Don't do mission levels that you think are going to have a chance to cost you a ship until you have that second one. 

    Getting into a fight with another ship in low sec isn't going to be much different then a pirate ship.  Look at them like really hard rats, or even some really easy ones if you fit your ship, now your optimals, and pick your target carefully. 

     

    I"ve got an alt training now so that I can use my indy guy as bate.  Another players ship is very valuable.

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member

    OP, it seems like you want a game that will tell you that you're awesome for risklessly smooshing NPCs. EVE will never be that game. It was made by and for people who want pretty much the opposite of that. Thats "WHY!".

     

    If you want people to think that you're awesome in EVE, you'll actually have to do something awesome.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Polypropylen
    I played EVE about half a year and here is what i really think it's positive: +great graphics +really really huge world to play in +FUCKIN COOL SPACESHIPS WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED? i often think about reactivating my old account but there is this negative thing that makes me leave EVE again(if i resubscribed) or don't even resubscribe: -as someone that plays solo 75% of his time there is no story to become the hero and i don't like the risk of lossing my ship and my clone and SP.... So seriously, there are even more people out there which think the same as i do then people who actually play the game! Why didn't any gamedev ever try to do something like EVE, but more WOWish or like GuildWars....of course don't change the sandbox aspect of the game! I don't want you guys to tell me why you think i'm wrong or that you got an other opinion....and no offense postings please :( i'm just a poor german guy that hopes his team will win EURO2012 :)

    I discovered the root of your problem, playing EVE solo, while possible (and I've done a fair share of it myself) is not the proper way to enjoy the game.

    And certainly, to be a hero, you've got to interact with others in order to do heroic deeds for them. 

    Now, you are asking for a PVE centric sandbox, something many other folks here have expressed a desire for as well, but EVE will never be that game.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • ZaltarkZaltark Lockhart, TXPosts: 421Member

    Eve is about PvP and PKing. Sure you could try playing the game solo (Ive played mostly as an explorer with cloaking) but to really enjoy the game like other say you have to have a group of people to fly with. If not for protection from other players, then even at minimum to kill the PvE ships for good loot. Even when mining (which some say you can do solo) youll be targetted by PvP.

    Thats just the way EvE is. Its a game full of gankers and scammers.

  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Greencastle, INPosts: 2,594Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zaltark

    Eve is about PvP and PKing. Sure you could try playing the game solo (Ive played mostly as an explorer with cloaking) but to really enjoy the game like other say you have to have a group of people to fly with. If not for protection from other players, then even at minimum to kill the PvE ships for good loot. Even when mining (which some say you can do solo) youll be targetted by PvP.

    Thats just the way EvE is. Its a game full of gankers and scammers.

    Just gotta love how Goonsquad is gonna cost CCP subscriptions. Just gotta wonder if CCP will notice too?

    image

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member

    EVE subs just hit an all time high & finally passed the 400,000 mark.

    I agree with you; CCP will take notice of that.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • ZaltarkZaltark Lockhart, TXPosts: 421Member

    Ive actually been thinking of coming back to Eve. As I dont mine, Im not really affected by the Goons. As an explorere I was already used to floating around in lowsec(which is actually somewhat safer when you have a wardec in safespace).

    My problem is I wasnt really able to find a lowsec corp that wanted just an explorer/scanner that was primarily near/in Gallente Space.

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,867Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Malcanis
    EVE subs just hit an all time high & finally passed the 400,000 mark.I agree with you; CCP will take notice of that.

    Again...source?

  • MalcanisMalcanis LondonPosts: 3,191Member

    IIRC they confirmed it at fanfest.

    Give me liberty or give me lasers

  • hfztthfztt GlostrupPosts: 840Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zaltark

    Thats just the way EvE is. Its a game full of gankers and scammers.

    Nah... Not really. Its is just the way it appear if you try to solo the game.

    Once you play mroe you find out that most people are actually quite decent. It just comes donw to the fact that in nearly any group in eve the parole goes like this: "If you are not one of us, you are the enimy."

    And lets be honest, you dont have your enimies over for tea and cookies...

    So in short if you solo, you will see a game of people only out to get you. Dont do that. Get friends, its the only way to play.

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,867Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Malcanis

    IIRC they confirmed it at fanfest.

    Have a link then? Or some other documented source apart from "iirc"?

  • solarinesolarine IstanbulPosts: 1,203Member

    A lot of good counter-arguments here on why the beloved EVE is EVE, but still.... the point remains:

    If someone came up and made a space game with the cool dark aesthetics of EVE, with the variety of spaceships in EVE, with lore full of character even more so than EVE and with a rich and solid PVE game where you *can* follow a story as well... I think it'd be an instant hit. 

    Surprising as it may be, I've seen a lot of EVE players who really dislike what many think EVE is about: open PVP with harsh consequences and emergent gameplay. They just play for the spaceships. And there are many players who do love space games but don't like what EVE offers. I'm pretty sure they'd be onto a high-quality space MMO that's not just about "shooting each other".

    It's a pity the developers look at the idea of space game and just think "PVP". 

    Actually, I had a dream where SWTOR would have such a rich space game which would interact with the planet-based game meaningfully (think what CCP is trying to do with Dust 514 and EVE but much deeper). Well, you know how that worked out. :P

     

  • mklinicmklinic Pottstown, PAPosts: 1,435Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

    Originally posted by Malcanis

    IIRC they confirmed it at fanfest.

    Have a link then? Or some other documented source apart from "iirc"?

    Only skimmed the article, so not sure if it provides much more then a one-liner about the 400k or whether that info was provided during fanfest or just assumed accurate. Maybe someone has a better link, but in the meantime: http://www.pcworld.com/article/252940/inside_eve_onlines_fanfest_2012.html

    edit: Here is a another statement that pegs it closer to 361k and provides some reasoning as to how they came ot the number (With links and such): http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html. Interesting reading if you're into the numbers and such I suppose. 

    edit 2: on topic, I played solo a lot toward the end of my most recent time in EvE (on break for various reasons that are not so much game related). I can see where you're coming from in wanting more defined purpose to solo play, but at the same time, how do you keep from dragging down other parts of the game, as it seems it was designed, when you introduce that sort of 'storyline'. I mean, something like Incursions, where whole systems are threatened and people are supposed to work together to drive them back seems like the sort of "story/hero" content that suits the game. I know there is some lack of imagination on my part, but I can't see traditional quest progression concepts being a fit for this style (meaning design not sci-fi) of game. I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere and would be neat to see it. I haven't tried Perpetuum, but I wonder if that has some of what you're looking for.

    -mklinic

    "There's a point I think we're missing.
    It's in the air we raise our fists in."
    -from Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

    The entire point of eve is that you go out there to do your own thing, no real hand holding at all.. The fact you can loose your ship and actually perma die if your stupid is awesome and makes the game even better..

     

    This type of game really aint for you..

    Please stop trying to turn one of the better sandbox games out ther into a themepark... if you want that go play STO.. its in space, it has missions that take you through each part of the solar system.. yay :)

     

     

     

     

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,867Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by mklinic
    Here is a another statement that pegs it closer to 361k and provides some reasoning as to how they came ot the number (With links and such): http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html.

    Quote from the link:



    http://nosygamer.blogspot.cz/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html

    Now, I realize that many Eve players will question whether the 361,000 number is correct, and if it is correct, that it is an increase. Many game sites give Eve Online credit for having over 400,000 subscribers, but CCP stated Eve had 400,000 active players, not subscribers, in a press release in February. I looked back at the last Quarterly Economic Newsletter for Q4 2010 and confirmed that the population chart published was for accounts, not subscriptions. A subtle difference that many in the mainstream gaming media fail to grasp.

  • mklinicmklinic Pottstown, PAPosts: 1,435Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

    Originally posted by mklinic
    Here is a another statement that pegs it closer to 361k and provides some reasoning as to how they came ot the number (With links and such): http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html.

    Quote from the link:



    http://nosygamer.blogspot.cz/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html

    Now, I realize that many Eve players will question whether the 361,000 number is correct, and if it is correct, that it is an increase. Many game sites give Eve Online credit for having over 400,000 subscribers, but CCP stated Eve had 400,000 active players, not subscribers, in a press release in February. I looked back at the last Quarterly Economic Newsletter for Q4 2010 and confirmed that the population chart published was for accounts, not subscriptions. A subtle difference that many in the mainstream gaming media fail to grasp.

    Are you saying you believe the 361k number to be a more accurate number of subs (vs players as the author defines)? If so, I think that's a pretty reasonable conclusion given the explanations provided in that blog versus the 400k statement which was a statement with no further explanation. If you're saying something else, then I completely missed your point...

    -mklinic

    "There's a point I think we're missing.
    It's in the air we raise our fists in."
    -from Behind Closed Doors by Rise Against

  • PolypropylenPolypropylen Male, MTPosts: 30Member
    Lol guys I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE EVE ONLINE!
    The point i had why there is seriously no developer out there taking FREAKING SPACESHIPS+HUGE WORLD+NICE PVE! There are only mediev fantasy MMOS out there....and just one of you noticed what i meant! read properly!

    There is a huge fanbase for upcoming space game. But something shitty like jumpgate or BlackProphecy. We want good graphics and a variety of ships and weapons to feel unique.
  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,867Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by mklinic

    Are you saying you believe the 361k number to be a more accurate number of subs (vs players as the author defines)? If so, I think that's a pretty reasonable conclusion given the explanations provided in that blog versus the 400k statement which was a statement with no further explanation. If you're saying something else, then I completely missed your point...

    I am not making any point, just quoting relevant part of the text. Also, it is no belief, it is official number reported by CCP.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,674Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

    Originally posted by mklinic
    Here is a another statement that pegs it closer to 361k and provides some reasoning as to how they came ot the number (With links and such): http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html.

    Quote from the link:



    http://nosygamer.blogspot.cz/2012/05/eve-onlines-tranquility-subscription.html

    Now, I realize that many Eve players will question whether the 361,000 number is correct, and if it is correct, that it is an increase. Many game sites give Eve Online credit for having over 400,000 subscribers, but CCP stated Eve had 400,000 active players, not subscribers, in a press release in February. I looked back at the last Quarterly Economic Newsletter for Q4 2010 and confirmed that the population chart published was for accounts, not subscriptions. A subtle difference that many in the mainstream gaming media fail to grasp.

    The Press Release about China refers to players worldwide, which means it includes the Chinese server numbers. Historically, when subscriber numbers are relayed, since they are often used in conjunction with the single-server universe of Tranquility, they don't included China. 

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • IrusIrus Wichita, KSPosts: 774Member
    Originally posted by Polypropylen
    Lol guys I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE EVE ONLINE!
    The point i had why there is seriously no developer out there taking FREAKING SPACESHIPS+HUGE WORLD+NICE PVE! There are only mediev fantasy MMOS out there....and just one of you noticed what i meant! read properly!

    There is a huge fanbase for upcoming space game. But something shitty like jumpgate or BlackProphecy. We want good graphics and a variety of ships and weapons to feel unique.

    I'll get right on it.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.