Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heavy story and puzzels

2»

Comments

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

TSW seems like a fine game to me, I have been in the betas and enjoyed myself but realised during the last one that I wasn't likely going to buy the game.  They concept is refreshing, the skill wheel is a lovely lovely addition and the premise and story are fun, not going to say superb in the story department, but fun.

However, with GW2 on the horizon...possibly...I've started thinking about what I'm paying for in MMOs these days and I can't quite figure it out anymore.  I used to buy the story that they need the money to give us fresh content and server maint and all that, but I don't honestly think that's been true for like 5 years now..  I think they charge a sub merely because they can..

I'm not a fan of the F2P games either...but the way GW2 does it appeals to me..I just don't want to spend my money per month on something like this anymore.  I believe I'd get out of TSW what I got out of SWTOR, a fun time for a month or two, then a 3rd or 4th month of staying subbed but not really enjoying it the way I'd like,a nd finally a 5th or 6th month when I realize I've forgotten to unsub and take my card off of auto renew...

15 bucks isn't a lot of cash, but I don't think it's worth it anymore. Not just TSW, but frankly most MMOs in general.  Just with TSW there's such a close tie in with story that I'm concerned once I'm finished with the story I'll be stuck there waiting for who knows how long before I get some more..

TSW will be a great fun game, of this I have no doubt so don't take this as a bash because it truly isn't.  I had to spend a long time deciding if it was going to be something I purchased...ultimately I'm just guna wait for GW2.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

The OP makes similar threads for GW2. I wonder if he actually wants to play MMOs at all with the amount of nitpicking he does.

Even if I could look past the things I think TSW does really badly. For me it would not have any longevity and as such doesn't justify the cost it brings with it. Playing through the story once would be it for me. After that I wouldn't be able to go through it again as the quests wouldn't have any significance for me anymore as I wouldn't even have to bother thinking about them. Filling out the skill wheel is basically grinding to me as I don't PvP.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Looks like many of you missed MY point too.

TSW has great quests, but everything else is pretty bad or mediocre. You say the dungeons are great too? Super! I won't argue because I haven't tested them yet.

Still, let's say Funcom would suddenly delete all current quests from TSW and replaced them with standard "kill 10 rats" quests through and through. Would you still argue it's a bad game?

Since you guys tried to twist my meaning, here it is as straight as I can put it.

TSW has great questing, probably the best I've seen in MMOs so far.  That, and that alone makes it a pretty good game (and maybe these fabled dungeons too, but I usually hate instances, so I won't join that bandwagon before I've seen them myself). Replace the questing with TERA class boring grind questing and this game would be forgotten really fast.

The OP can't be bothered with the great questing in TSW, alas TSW is a bad game FOR HIM.

Actually the draw for me was the sheer customization in the skillsets, the openness of it and the lack of classes and levels.

The other draw was the setting. Modern, current, real world influences everywhere. NPCs mentioning Youtube and X-Box was a nice addition as well.

The third was it having a horror setting. While I don't see the game literally scaring me the way conventional horror games tend to, I appreciate the setting nonetheless. The maturity of the setting in an MMORPG is heavily refreshing. 

I didn't know jack about the quests walking into the betas, so to find out that they deviated from the usual monotony was amazing. Like the "happy ending" to a phenomenal massage.

Lump all of them together and you have a TRULY unique MMORPG. The first in a damn long time.

To the OP: If you don't want to think, don't do investigation missions. Those are the only ones that REALLY require analytical thinking. The others provide sometimes subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle hints for completion. For your thoughts though, they reward you with massive amounts of exp.

.. But in a good way.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by LaZyBuTCrAzY

Actively think? Have you even played beta? If you were 14 and had troubles with these quest I could understand, but seriously? I can't think of a single quest that had me go ZOMG puzzle so hard, must solve. Also investigation quests are maybe 1/10th of the actual storyline and most of the time give shitty exp.

You mention puzzles and then go back to the money argument? I don't get these useless threads.
     "I won't be buying this game guys, cause of uh money and apparently challenging puzzles." Am I supposed to give a fuck? Don't buy it and move on, why make pointless threads for attention?

Not sure you are playing the same game as the rest of us. It's true that investigation quests are not hte majority for this game. And that most of the quests are actually kill 10 X or collect 10 y, but some of them are a bit challenging and require some thought. For example, in the first zone there's one that you have to investigate partially while dead. Parts of it are very easy to figure out, others are easy to miss if you don't happen to be looking at the right spot on your screen at the right time.

Also, every investigation quest I've seen gives substantially more exp / AP / SP than the other quests. There just aren't as many of them. The only quests that seem to top them in terms of rewards are dungeon quests. And indeed I did some dungeon grinding in this game to unlock a bunch of tier 2 skills I wanted.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

apparently there are another 2 investigations in kingsmouth but they disabled them for the beta so as not to spoil it.

anyone noticed the laptop in the boot of the car and the 2 dead orochi nearby

or the 3 standing stones

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Blacknd
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Looks like many of you missed MY point too.

TSW has great quests, but everything else is pretty bad or mediocre. You say the dungeons are great too? Super! I won't argue because I haven't tested them yet.

Still, let's say Funcom would suddenly delete all current quests from TSW and replaced them with standard "kill 10 rats" quests through and through. Would you still argue it's a bad game?

Since you guys tried to twist my meaning, here it is as straight as I can put it.

TSW has great questing, probably the best I've seen in MMOs so far.  That, and that alone makes it a pretty good game (and maybe these fabled dungeons too, but I usually hate instances, so I won't join that bandwagon before I've seen them myself). Replace the questing with TERA class boring grind questing and this game would be forgotten really fast.

The OP can't be bothered with the great questing in TSW, alas TSW is a bad game FOR HIM.

Actually the draw for me was the sheer customization in the skillsets, the openness of it and the lack of classes and levels.

The other draw was the setting. Modern, current, real world influences everywhere. NPCs mentioning Youtube and X-Box was a nice addition as well.

The third was it having a horror setting. While I don't see the game literally scaring me the way conventional horror games tend to, I appreciate the setting nonetheless. The maturity of the setting in an MMORPG is heavily refreshing. 

I didn't know jack about the quests walking into the betas, so to find out that they deviated from the usual monotony was amazing. Like the "happy ending" to a phenomenal massage.

Lump all of them together and you have a TRULY unique MMORPG. The first in a damn long time.

To the OP: If you don't want to think, don't do investigation missions. Those are the only ones that REALLY require analytical thinking. The others provide sometimes subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle hints for completion. For your thoughts though, they reward you with massive amounts of exp.

i would add, crafting thats actually worth doing and from what i hear fairly good pvp, better than most themeparks over the last 8 years (including wow and save war if you happened to have a good server), but not as good as GW2 and certainly not as good as old school mmos.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

i would add, crafting thats actually worth doing and from what i hear fairly good pvp, better than most themeparks over the last 8 years (including wow and save war if you happened to have a good server), but not as good as GW2 and certainly not as good as old school mmos.

I would say that it's too early to judge the PvP. It has the potential to be really great, but you can't really tell before you see how many builds are viable in PvP. If there are just 4-5 builds that are viable, I would say it's not good. If you get 20-30 it's good. If you have hundreds of viable builds in PvP,  I think it has the potential for pure awesomeness. ;)

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Interesting,

actually this is the biggest reason I am still interested in this game - challenging content, where you have to think.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.