Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu: E3 2012 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent E3 convention, we had the opportunity to check out Age of Wushu, an upcoming MMO that will focus on Chinese martial arts. It looks like it's shaping up to be something special so be sure to check out our preview. Let us know what you think in the comments.

Are you familiar with any of the ancient Chinese martial arts? Perhaps you’ve seen some movies which highlighted some of the art forms. I don’t mean Kung Fu Panda here, but Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero (YinXiong). If you’ve studied any of the art forms, if you are a fan of WuShu (Chinese martial arts), then you are in for a real treat with Age of WuShu.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Age of Wushu: E3 2012 Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

I must be confused, as I thought its an old title ... wasn't it introduced as f2p 2 years ago? Sorry for the confusion.

[mod edit]

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Nah this is a new game. Looks really fun too. I think Steparu had some gameplay videos up.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Yay! So glad this game its on its way. too bad it will be overlooked by alot of the sandboxers because it isn't traditional european fantasy. *sighs*

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I am pretty excited about this game! Cant wait for its arrival to the NA market!

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

A few years ago I really loved asian settings in my games but somehow it always disgusts me now and I find this kind of architecture totally ugly. Probably all these crap f2p asian grinders burned a negative connotation in my brain ;)

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

this game sounds awesome. i hope my pc can run it.

• park97park97 Member UncommonPosts: 91

Can't wait to give this game a try. I heard Snail have spent five years developing this game.

• WigBurldWigBurld Member Posts: 14

Check out this E3 interview with the guys behind the upcoming North American sandbox  MMO "Origins of Malu"

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Too bad Snail Games is shoving all their money at this game and totally ignoring the advertising of Black Gold Online. The game was at E3 and got no coverage at all. Shame on you mmorpg.com for only focusing on the "popular" mmos at E3 and not looking for those hidden gems. I really wanted more information on Black Gold Online as it looks different from other games, and interesting. What other steampunk mmos are out there? Oh yeah, there is freaking NEO Online, which frankly, sucks and doesn't even deserve to be described as "steampunk."

Smile

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

Snail Games? Isnt that the same company that made voyage century ? If yes they really make different and interesting games. Even VCO, with all its faults, was fairly refreshing, different and quite a bit sandboxy too.

This actually just made me much more interested in this games developement, as its made by a company that doesnt have a 'fear of new things', aka wowofobia.

i believe i read somewhere they are working on dark and light (basically making a working version of DnL would be enough, lol),  but not sure if thats true or not. that game had potential, and would fit their games portofolio perfectly :o) could be just wishful thinking by some dnl fan though. 

either way, this game looks promising, lets just hope eu/us publishers dont screw it with  bad cash shop implementation :/0 

Razeekster

whats that Black Gold Online about? havent heard anything about that one yet, but it just proves my point when it comes to Snail games. Wish there were more developers like .. snails :=)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Definitely looking forward to this game.  I've wanted to play a martial arts MMO for a while now, but have never found one worth sticking with.  

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

the class concept reminds me of 9 dragons

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by gilgamesh42

the class concept reminds me of 9 dragons

the setting is  based upon the same novels, actually. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• moxfactormoxfactor Member Posts: 70

looks like a JYO2 cover. (Jin Yong Online 2)  without the famous novels and a more generic "wushu" setup.  so will it be a key combo system or even more generic WoW?  will they magic some sort of "flying acupuncture needles" just to do have combat healing?

i hope they implement some sort of twitch response combat like Dragon's Lair, so the combat keypresses won't feel exactly like WoW, TOR, and most other ARPGs out there.

-- Vet of: UO, Pre-AI AO, EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, Pre-CU SWG, EQ2, RO, Crossgate, Neocron, StoneAge, JY Online, JY Online 2, Seal Online, Asgard Online, Mabinogi, Dragonraja, Lineage, Guild Wars, WoW US, WoW China, WoW Taiwan, EVE Online, LOTRO, Dark and Light, FFXI, FFXIV, Age of Conan, Atlantica Online, STO, and many more...

-- Still have an account on: WoW: Cata(US)(2 months+).

-- waiting for them to make:
    Zork(game), Wizardry Compiled(novel), Dune(novel), G1 Transformers(cartoon).

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I was initially following this game...riiiiiight up until I saw how much money was being spent in the item malls in the Asian version. I highly recommend anyone interested in this game do a bit of research in that direction, what you find is going to make your jaw hit the floor. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I was initially following this game...riiiiiight up until I saw how much money was being spent in the item malls in the Asian version. I highly recommend anyone interested in this game do a bit of research in that direction, what you find is going to make your jaw hit the floor. 

No offense, but who gives a shit?  What the Asian version of the game has is in no way a direct correlation to what the Westernized version will have as far as cash shop items are concerned.  Until we get specific details on that type of thing to make me question the F2P system the Western audience will have, I'm not going to concern myself with it.  As far as I'm concerned, the asian version and the Western version will be two totally different games.  

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

MOVE OVER GW2. XD

Omg finally a real kung fu mmo?

Give nao.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

This is the other F2P I've been keeping my eye on.  Some unique ideas behind it, definately worth checking out.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

No offense, but who gives a shit?  What the Asian version of the game has is in no way a direct correlation to what the Westernized version will have as far as cash shop items are concerned.  Until we get specific details on that type of thing to make me question the F2P system the Western audience will have, I'm not going to concern myself with it.  As far as I'm concerned, the asian version and the Western version will be two totally different games.  

As far as you're concerned, is irrelevant. What the game is or isn't has absolutely nothing to do with you and what you'd prefer, so that sentence and your stance makes absolutely no sense what so ever. While it's true that an item mall in the East may not make its way to the West in its current incarnation, until said otherwise, that's the only example you have to go on. Ignoring that isn't intelligent, it's burying your head in the sand and hoping the bad things will just go away if you ignore it long enough. Also, as cash shop items haven't been discussed in the US version yet, what you said prior is also incorrect, you have no way of knowing just how comparable the NA's cash shop will be to its eastern counterpart. Over-priced cash shops aren't alien enough on our side of the world to just blithely ignore the chance that more will pop up (Allods, EVE, anything from Nexon/PW, etc).

You may not want to concern yourself with it, but others prefer to educate themselves about the things they're considering playing before getting excited about it. A red flag is a red flag, until specifically proven otherwise.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/a/2012-06-08/age_of_wushu_sells_215000_usd_worth_of_items_in_chinese_obt.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2079095/Chinese-man-spends-16-000-sword-virtual-martial-arts-game.html

Granted people spend tons of money on dumb shit all the time *stares at D3* and that doesn't necessarily mean everyone else who plays the game will have to do the same, but it is still relevant, and naive to say otherwise.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

According to that mmosite article, its not region locked, and its possible to register from anywhere.. but the registration page asks for some info I don't understand.  They seem to want a phone number or something?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Vhaln

According to that mmosite article, its not region locked, and its possible to register from anywhere.. but the registration page asks for some info I don't understand.  They seem to want a phone number or something?

The last three fields ask for your real name, personal ID number, and mobile phone number (stating Chinese regulations as to why they're needing this information). Not tried myself if you can just throw stuff in at random...

Originally posted by Nefera

The last three fields ask for your real name, personal ID number, and mobile phone number (stating Chinese regulations as to why they're needing this information). Not tried myself if you can just throw stuff in at random...

You can't, and I believe that personal ID number is similar to the SSD (it's like a social security number) that many Korean games require, in which case it's not legal to obtain one and probably not a good idea to bother trying. I'm not 100% sure if that's what it is, though.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Nefera

You can't, and I believe that personal ID number is similar to the SSD (it's like a social security number) that many Korean games require, in which case it's not legal to obtain one and probably not a good idea to bother trying. I'm not 100% sure if that's what it is, though.

Never mind, checked the fields on the links, and they are as follows: cell phone number, number for text messages, password, confirm password, real name, ID number.

Edit: it's possible to create an account, the field asking for real name does check that the content matches chinese name format (2-5 chinese characters), and that the social security number is of a specific format.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

As far as you're concerned, is irrelevant. What the game is or isn't has absolutely nothing to do with you and what you'd prefer, so that sentence and your stance makes absolutely no sense what so ever. While it's true that an item mall in the East may not make its way to the West in its current incarnation, until said otherwise, that's the only example you have to go on. Ignoring that isn't intelligent, it's burying your head in the sand and hoping the bad things will just go away if you ignore it long enough. Also, as cash shop items haven't been discussed in the US version yet, what you said prior is also incorrect, you have no way of knowing just how comparable the NA's cash shop will be to its eastern counterpart. Over-priced cash shops aren't alien enough on our side of the world to just blithely ignore the chance that more will pop up (Allods, EVE, anything from Nexon/PW, etc).

You may not want to concern yourself with it, but others prefer to educate themselves about the things they're considering playing before getting excited about it. A red flag is a red flag, until specifically proven otherwise.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/a/2012-06-08/age_of_wushu_sells_215000_usd_worth_of_items_in_chinese_obt.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2079095/Chinese-man-spends-16-000-sword-virtual-martial-arts-game.html

Granted people spend tons of money on dumb shit all the time *stares at D3* and that doesn't necessarily mean everyone else who plays the game will have to do the same, but it is still relevant, and naive to say otherwise.

Your "red flag" is a Chinese man spending money on an item in the Chinese version of the game.  If you want that to be a reason to steer yourself clear of a game before it's even Westernized, then that's on you, pal.  The rest of us will actually do our research on the WESTERN VERSION of the game when it becomes available.  But feel free to continue patting yourself on the back for researching a version of the game that you'll probably never see, and basing your decision to play off of it.  

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

It's certainly worthy of my attention. I'll be watching this game