Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Testimony Needed

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by CommoX

To be honest, SW-TOR has more options when it comes to hair/scar and various detail choices.

You lost me on this one...

Especially after complaining about a lack of sliders for individual body parts... huh?

Not saying that there aren't games out there w/ more customization options, but some of the examples you listed have my jaw hanging on the floor, and one of my eyebrows touching the ceiling...

• WolfenbrWolfenbr Member Posts: 34

Don't forget, even tho TOR has several races, they all have the same faces and many other character creation options. In gw2 however races look completely different.

Gw2 character creation while not the best in the industry is still above average imho.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

I am curious as to the OP's motivation for working on such an article in the first place?

The game is still in BETA and no release date has been announced, so writing an article about how the game is not yet finished seems like rather a moot point to express.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Kreedz

I am curious as to the OP's motivation for working on such an article in the first place?

The game is still in BETA and no release date has been announced, so writing an article about how the game is not yet finished seems like rather a moot point to express.

Or you could realize there is no article, he's just trying to collect a whole bunch os negative statements about "This game isn't ready yet!" So he can claim it's a broken peice of crap or something. 

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by bcbully

I'm a pvpr so I like the concept of WvWvW, but I don't like pvp and pve being completely separate. You still having balancing, you still have nerfs and buffs, so why separte them? 

This goes to the OPs article. By design making the pvp and pve separate, the process of making one cohesive world was left out.  By normal standards this would be considerd "a game not done."

A game without anything different from the content you play from 30+ would normaly be considered a game with no end game, a game that is not done. 

I understand that a lot of people like both of these features (or lack of features), but again by normal standards and past history GW2 would be considerded a game that is not done.

Anet has proven that they can seperate PvE from PvP skillwise as seen in GW1 where certain skills had different effects in PvE and PvP. No doubt this has been translated into GW2

I think you need to let go of your views of what normal standards is. This is purely your opinion. You think seperating them makes it less cohosive. From my point of view the game world is a lot more cohesive as it removed negative associations that come from Open World PvP.

Needing some kind of Endgame Carrot is a phallacy. Raiding is just dungeon running with a larger group, nothing more. So from your own definition no MMO would be considered done. 

Furthermore OP focusing on how something might not be done will only lead to negativity. So I seriously think you need to re-evaluate how you are going to set up your article.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Only thing I seen were some baulders stuck to the pillars kind of floating at the damn in the human starter zone. Other than that it needs the gpu support and dx11. I highly doubt theres any content that isnt finished, maybe not fully polished but I'm pretty sure its there.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Stick a fork in it, the game is done. The minor bugs aren't enough reason to keep me from the game. I realize that it's got a few things that need to be cleaned up before release, but I'd rather play GW2 in its current state than any "finished" MMO that is out now.

Exactly.

I'm not particularly happy with the OP fishing for comments "from fans" that support his conclusion that the game isn't ready. I can see what needs work during the month or two after BWE2, but I didn't see anything that hinted that the game couldn't be ready for release sometime between mid July and late August.

It's not just that the game was already less buggy in BWE2 than many MMOs are at launch. It's largely about the type of game that GW2 is. What it brings to the table, combined with the nature of the PvE content in the world, means that this is not a game who's release can be tarnished or "ruined" by random content bugs.

A lot of polished MMOs have failed, because the game design hasn't held water. GW2 game design is completely what the genre has needed and the core systems are close enough for a launch in the next month or two. If the rest of the content we haven't seen is on par with Gendarran Fields, the level 25-35 zone we gained access to in BWE2, then the content would also be "ready enough" for launch.

A few broken DEs or Skill Point Challenges are nothing but the most miniscule inconveniences when seen in context of the entire scope of the game. Those things can and will be fixed and it's o.k. if a lot of those bugs aren't fixed until after launch. They will continue to polish those elements of the game world leading up to release, but none of those bugs prevent a successful release of the game.

The game appeared "ready enough" for a July/August release during BWE2 and despite the conclusion that the OP wishes to cater his article towards, the majority of BWE2 testers who weighed in on the issue thought the game seemed very close to launch. Personally, if the 36 hours I spent play testing GW2 during the last BWE had been my first 36 hours of the released product, it would have been the best first 36 hours of post launch MMO game play I've had since the release of wow, bugs and all.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

There was another recent Closed Beta - TSW and people never asked for a comparison in chharacter creation. GW2 gives you more choices, period.

As far as what the OP was asking, they have some tweaking to do but nothing major. This game is very polished and ready to go, if they decided to release it  tomorrow. Does it have some minor issues, yes, are they game breakers NO!

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Tocks

What MMO besides insane Aion has a more robust character creation? Not challenging, just curious. People complain about GW2's character creation options all the time and I've personally yet to see anything better.

Let's give City of Heroes some respect.  A truly great character creator.

As far as GW2 character creation goes, I love the mechanics but not so much the actual options.  So much clear-faced, child-like emphasis, and so very little variety and mature, battle-worn options.  On a side note, I can't wait to see the Sylvari and Asura creation.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Kickaxe
    Originally posted by Tocks

What MMO besides insane Aion has a more robust character creation? Not challenging, just curious. People complain about GW2's character creation options all the time and I've personally yet to see anything better.

Let's give City of Heroes some respect.  A truly great character creator.

As far as GW2 character creation goes, I love the mechanics but not so much the actual options.  So much clear-faced, child-like emphasis, and so very little variety and mature, battle-worn options.  On a side note, I can't wait to see the Sylvari and Asura creation.

Im so looking forward to the lil aragont asura!!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by botrytis

This game is very polished and ready to go

I hate it when 'journalists' start off with an agenda and then have to scrabble around for 'evidence' in order to prove the point they themselves want to make. Even to the point of begging for canned quotes off a forum, which is lazy modern internet 'journalism' at it's weakest.

He will ignore statements like Botryis makes above and focus entirely on the negative.

If the piece was asking 'is this game done yet?', and then presented different views on the matter, before ending with the writer's own conclusion I would have respect for it. At least the reader then would be able to make up their own mind that way.

But as it is... help you OP with this? No.

I don't think the OP got the information he wanted from this thread.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

Not exactly, as there are people who will argue "The game is done, but just needs tweaks", which has been repeated a number of times in this thread alone. Actually, the article is about the massive flood of new content that was between BWE1 and BWE2 and how one portion of the game, World vs World, is undergoing the most changes each patch.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

They aren't done the asura and sylvari zones yet.

I think it's safe to say it's not done.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by fiontar

A lot of polished MMOs have failed, because the game design hasn't held water. GW2 game design is completely what the genre has needed and the core systems are close enough for a launch in the next month or two. If the rest of the content we haven't seen is on par with Gendarran Fields, the level 25-35 zone we gained access to in BWE2, then the content would also be "ready enough" for launch.

Age  of Conan, Age of Conan, Age of Conan Alarm Alarm Alarm.  WAR WAR Alarm Alarm, etc,

Let the devs decide when it's ready to go.  And hope they actually thought about and reviewed the "beyond the starting zones" content, and reviewed it in depth. 

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it" , etc.

From this point forward, you can rely on a constant tension between "want it right now" and "get it right, for once".  Just suggesting, Anet may want to err on the side of caution, intentionally.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by fiontar

Age  of Conan, Age of Conan, Age of Conan Alarm Alarm Alarm.  WAR WAR Alarm Alarm, etc,

Let the devs decide when it's ready to go.  And hope they actually thought about and reviewed the "beyond the starting zones" content, and reviewed it in depth. 

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it" , etc.

My thoughts exactly.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've seen games with far more bugs and far less polish release and do "well" but I wouldn't mind another month or two to finish cooking in the oven.

Purely based on what I've seen, which I admit is only a small portion of the game (human 1-15)  the game could release today and the general reaction to bugs/polish/completion would be positive.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by TemperHoof

I am curious as to the OP's motivation for working on such an article in the first place?The game is still in BETA and no release date has been announced, so writing an article about how the game is not yet finished seems like rather a moot point to express.
    Not exactly, as there are people who will argue "The game is done, but just needs tweaks", which has been repeated a number of times in this thread alone. Actually, the article is about the massive flood of new content that was between BWE1 and BWE2 and how one portion of the game, World vs World, is undergoing the most changes each patch.
    If you can't even get across what you want in the Original Post than abandon the insane notion that you could ever write an article that's not a POS.

Let me requote you

it's about Guild Wars 2 not being done not only in the eyes of the developers, but also the players.

All you want is negatives. You don't give a rats ass about positives otherwise you would have phrased it differently.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Connmacart

I'm a pvpr so I like the concept of WvWvW, but I don't like pvp and pve being completely separate. You still having balancing, you still have nerfs and buffs, so why separte them? 

This goes to the OPs article. By design making the pvp and pve separate, the process of making one cohesive world was left out.  By normal standards this would be considerd "a game not done."

A game without anything different from the content you play from 30+ would normaly be considered a game with no end game, a game that is not done. 

I understand that a lot of people like both of these features (or lack of features), but again by normal standards and past history GW2 would be considerded a game that is not done.

Anet has proven that they can seperate PvE from PvP skillwise as seen in GW1 where certain skills had different effects in PvE and PvP. No doubt this has been translated into GW2

I think you need to let go of your views of what normal standards is. This is purely your opinion. You think seperating them makes it less cohosive. From my point of view the game world is a lot more cohesive as it removed negative associations that come from Open World PvP.

Needing some kind of Endgame Carrot is a phallacy. Raiding is just dungeon running with a larger group, nothing more. So from your own definition no MMO would be considered done. 

Furthermore OP focusing on how something might not be done will only lead to negativity. So I seriously think you need to re-evaluate how you are going to set up your article.

I'm not OP just to be clear. I know you know that, I just want to make sure other do too ;)

As many have said including Anet the game worlds are completely separate. This is the opposite of cohesion. As I said some people like this separation. I'm not telling not to. There is no flow between the two game worlds like there is in most mmos. The process of doing so was eliminated by design. 

We can debate carrots good v carrots bad till the cows come home. In most games there are things you can do at level cap that are different from what you've been doing while leveling. In GW2 this is not the case. Again some people like this, and that's fine. Still having something new at level cap has been a requirment for past mmos. See swtor the fans let them have it after 2 months for not have much to do at cap, even said the game was rushed. Even at that, I think it's far to say swtor gave more new things to do at cap than GW2 will. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I'm writing a new article for Guild Wars 2 fans and I'd like your help. The title of the article "Not Done Yet..." , and as the title suggests --- it's about Guild Wars 2 not being done not only in the eyes of the developers, but also the players. In this article I would like use some player testimony, in short direct quotes, from players. But note, direct testimony will not be credited directly to you as the user. I will just utilize lines or subjects you may point out in my article.

Furthermore, if you have any videos or screenshots which may suggest that the game is no yet done, please drop a link here if you'd like to offer them up as material. For large contributors, your profiles will be linked within the article itself if you like.

If your article was about "Why is Guild Wars 2 so different than all other MMOs" or "Why Guild Wars 2 changes the genre" or simple "Why is Guild Wars 2 so awesome?" then I could help you with tons of videos, quotes, everything you might want to write 50000 pages.

Now videos, screenshots which "suggest that the game is not yet done" is another story and it will be hard to find any. You won't even write a full page with this.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Not exactly, as there are people who will argue "The game is done, but just needs tweaks", which has been repeated a number of times in this thread alone

You are actually writing an article about a game not being done, when the devs have't made any claim it was done, just because some posters on a forum claim it is already pretty polished compared to most launched games?

What?

You would surely better off writing an article on TSW, because THERE is a game the DEVS are saying is 'done' enough for launch, when it's level of polish is blatantly well below the no release date GW2. 

I agree with Kreedz sentiments entirely.

Originally posted by GamerUntouch

They aren't done the asura and sylvari zones yet.

I think it's safe to say it's not done.

They had both zones in the Press BME - so they are not done? I think they are. A.Net already said that they will not release all the of the game in BME to keep some of it fresh.

I think it is safe to say the game is closer to release than most negative GW2 people think.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Not exactly, as there are people who will argue "The game is done, but just needs tweaks", which has been repeated a number of times in this thread alone

You are actually writing an article about a game not being done, when the devs have't made any claim it was done, just because some posters on a forum claim it is already pretty polished compared to most launched games?

What?

You would surely better off writing an article on TSW, because THERE is a game the DEVS are saying is 'done' enough for launch, when it's level of polish is blatantly well below the no release date GW2. 

To some people TSW will never be done because the don't like the animations, or the "feel" of combat.

As far as content, 8 or 9 different dungeons with 3 different modes, and nightmare truley being a nightmare with a 10 man raid planned for patch 1.1  along with 200 hours of just the story quests not including the investigation, sabatoge, action, side quests.

TSW is on par for standard launch content that has been a requirment for mmos in the past. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Vesavius

What?

TSW is definitely NOT done for release - this is MY OPINION based on playing this last weekend. If you are using TSW as your 'proof of release' then please go back and drink the Kool-aid again. It is not ready for prime time.

TSW is on par for standard launch content that has been a requirment for mmos in the past. 

I didn't talk about the quantity of content, I spoke about the level of polish.