Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking For Tera PvP Server Review

ViareViare Member UncommonPosts: 45

hey everyone, im thinking of giving Tera a run once i buy a n graphix card on friday, I was wondering if anyone could give me a review of its PvP server gameplay.   I have a history with games like shadowbane, Darkfall <3, and Ultima <3 <3.   Will Tera provide the adventure UO gave with the PvP awsomeness Darkfall had (at launch).    Can anyone here give a honest review of Tera's PvP server gameplay?

Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges.

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

There are 4 pvp servers, Vally of Titans has the highest pop followed by JC, BC, and FV.  When you leave the starter zone and reach the first main city you will get a quest that will give you the "outlaw" skill.  When you trigger the skill you will go red for a short period of time, during this time you can PK anyone outside any city, town, or outpost.  The more players you kill the more infamy you will build up,  the more infamy you have the longer you will stay in outlaw status.

You can solo PK or group up with at least 5 other players or if you are in a guild the GM can declare war on another guild or guilds.  Its a lot of fun but there are no rewards or penalties for PKing and because the world is so large it can be quite hard to find players you are at war with.  Also there is no BGs & server v server at this time (future updates).

I would say the most active open world pvp is on VoT & Jagged Coast.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ViareViare Member UncommonPosts: 45

nice thanks :D   have u yourself tried playing on any of these pvp servers?   I feal like it might b like DAoC pvp server which was fun at the time :)

Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I've only played on PvE servers, but this is the only MMO I've played, where the PvP servers seem to have a lot more players than the PvE servers.  Not just one bustling PvP server, but four of them, and they seem to have more pop than all seven PvE servers combined.

http://tera.enmasse.com/server-status

Anyhow, just think maybe that says something.  I'm not sure what, but something..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

wow... interesting,  i havent seen an mmo with that in a while, is the free game month over yet??

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Viare

nice thanks :D   have u yourself tried playing on any of these pvp servers?   I feal like it might b like DAoC pvp server which was fun at the time :)

Yeah I play on BC, I was going to roll on Vot or JC but the que lines at launch kinda killed that idea for me.  Not sure how the queues are now on those servers but they always seem full when i check the server list.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by stayontarget

Yeah I play on BC, I was going to roll on Vot or JC but the que lines at launch kinda killed that idea for me.  Not sure how the queues are now on those servers but they always seem full when i check the server list.

I have not run into any queues on Valley of Titans or Jagged Coast as of late.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Soooo has anyone played on a pvp server up to a decent level that can give a review of the fun? :)

Soooo has anyone played on a pvp server up to a decent level that can give a review of the fun? :)

What really are you looking for a guarantee?

Valley of Titans and Jagged Coast are the two largest pvp servers and there are always guild wars going on. No pun intended.

Having said that, since you are starting later you will have to catch up a bit. Luckilyu the levelnig curve is pretty quick. You will need to get into a guild as you will always be targeted. Though you might always be targeted with a guild tag as well.

I have rerolled on 3 pvp servers and it seems that VoT and JC are the most active. The chat is a regular cesspool but there are good people. I've had a lot of low level pvp, mostly ganging up on reds who wanted to pk. Was even able to hold off a pker abou8t 10 levels higher than me for a bit before being stunned and biting it.

Whether or not the current guilds can stay entertained and stay around is antoher thing entirely.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

BC server - 2 toons - Mmofo 60 War and Foo.Foo 45 Lancer

Playing TERA on a PVP server is seen by most as the only way to get enough end game to warrant a subscription. There are only a handful of end game dungeons and no raids or nexuses yet. The dailies in this game are simple, short and limited to just 10 per day. That means you won't burn yourself out on them, but will have to find other ways to amuse yourself as you wait in an instance matching queue (unless you have a tank friend and do dungeons without having to join the instance matching system - a system that keeps bugging for me and cancels me out 60% of the time).

PVP is better in TERA than other MMOs. TERA's combat system makes PVP more about you than just your gear, though class choice, lag and gear still play a part. There is the normal ganking on lowbies, but the infamy system helps keep that at bay. I got to 60 fast, and I was only PKed a few times. My Lancer alt that is stalled at 45 for about a week has only been PKed a couple times by now. I did go back and seek vengeance on my 60 main which was funny, and was rewarded with having a "bad time" for several hours due to infamy.

Here is how infamy works: go red ("outlaw") and kill someone and depending on the level gap get 0 to, i think, 100 infamy points. I got on my 60  and killed a handful of mid teens toons getting overwhelming and hilarious revenge for getting jumped while leveling and before I knew it had over 200 infamy. Infamy makes it so that that your outlaw status does not revert back after a minute (which is what normally happens). Instead, you stay red until you are down to 0 infamy points. That means going back to your equal level content, you are a sitting duck for pkers who can kill you with impunity. Infamy points go down for ever near your own level kill and over time. I ended up doing some dailies then switching to my alt for the evening and woke up the next day clear of infamy and able to play without being red. The max amount of infamy is 9999. Someone hell-bent on griefing lowbies will be at the mercy of the equal levels and in serious doo-doo if they end up with so much infamy. It is an interesting system now. But it will get more intense when they implement debuffs due to infamy. The plan is to have your toon's performance reduced based on how much infamy you have. Remember, near level PVP is unaffected. It does and will not stifle near level PVP, but it will stifle lowbie ganking.

GVG is the best part of being on a TERA PVP server. This is only available on PVP servers. That in conjunction with the game having solid combat and not just a place for turds who hide behind stats to PVP is makin the PVP servers so much more popular thand the PVE servers. Any guid can declare war on another guild. They limit it to 4 declarations per guild concurrenty. The wars last 24 hours. During that time kills earn the guilds points. GMs are worth 10 points, and everyone else is worth 1 point. Infamy is disabled in GVG - meaning a 60 could kill a level 11 and earn no infamy and instead be rewarded with a point in the GVG. There are honorable guilds, and there are dishonorable guilds. We lined up against a guild last night outside of a safe zone and went at it Civil War style. I was chastised for trying to sneak around to the side and run behid their lines to assassinate the GM and earn 10 in trade for the 1 they would undoubtedly get when they saw me. And that was when the battles was started. That is an honorable version. Others guilds will just see your lowbies, declare to get points when they gank them and then disappear trying to never get caught so your guild cannot even the score. Or they will be fighting even leves in a zone and bring in their 60s in an ambush. They are all acceptable ways of doing the GVG, but guilds reap what they sow. Allied guilds will often declare in answer to a declaration and protect one another.  When a guild gets a bad name, many guild swill look to push them down. The game has only been out a few weeks, and this dynamic is already in play.

Overall, the PVP servers are "where it's at" for TERA. TERA needs to fix it's intance matching system to not bug out and cancel when i accept or I will be saying goodbye to the game for a while due to that really dampening my enjoyment as dungeons really are the only fruitful PVE endgame, but for PVP, have at it. Play TERA for the GVGs.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

I recorded last nights battle on valley of titan server. I don't think HD links are working right now so set to 1080p http://youtu.be/uI3QMBaJeXE?hd=1

This was my first recording...looking back I really should have shift clicked people in the battle to get a more zoomed up view. Being so zoomed out makes it feel less amusing than it was.

I was a duelist in Ultima Online (qop on osi if that means anything to you) and I think Tera PvP has a lot of potential. I am not lvl 60 yet but I am lvl 53. To me warrior and slayer seem the most action packed classes to PvP with....this is rarely the case in other games but the way the action combat is and the way abilities move your champion it produces a decent skill gap between players. Many say Slayers are OP I can not comment on that since I do not have backstab yet, right now I don't think im OP and I am a pretty good judge of PvP but that opinion may change once I get backstab. I will certainly agree that if my opponent lets me land startling kick on them then they are in serious trouble. My next character will be a warrior they seem to be the fastest moving class in the game and seem way more responsive than a slayer.

Theres a flag system thats kind of like UO's red system but reds can enter towns and you can't freely attack them in towns. Of course theres no looting of bodies and the dying results in the possible loss of a crystal.

If you want to go red and slaughter everyone theres plenty of opportunities to do so. Keep in mind most areas have 4 channels so if people want to avoid getting PK'd they have the option to switch from channel 1 to a less popular channel.

Overall Tera has very high pvp potential but for now theres no organized PvP so you are dependent on the community for action. The biggest problem with this is the leveling has bored people enough to where many have rerolled alts to seek amusement. I do not think the grind is bad at all I think the real problem is lack of reward for dinging. There will be times when you will go a large number of levels without getting any new interesting abilities. This results in long stages of leveling where you fight the same way for quite a few levels which makes the leveling boring. Many blame the story line but lets be serious here what mmorpg really has that good of a story? Even on the interesting story quests I can't say it helped make the leveling more amusing.

Community is bad as expected since people online don't know how to act these days. I generally look for fair fights in mmorpgs but the community is annoying enough to where its highly likely I am going to go very very very red when I ding 60. Oh I almost forgot to mention watch out for the large power gap in levels.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Ceromus

I recorded last nights battle on valley of titan server. I don't think HD links are working right now so set to 1080p http://youtu.be/uI3QMBaJeXE?hd=1

This was my first recording...looking back I really should have shift clicked people in the battle to get a more zoomed up view. Being so zoomed out makes it feel less amusing than it was.

I really wish all servers had guilds as active as the ones on VoT when it comes to schedueling fights. I mean on JC and BC we get some, once and a while, but usually a lot of guilds say theyll do something and dont show.

NFA and TFT always seem to be fighting. :P

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I always thought pvp servers are just places people go to gank people while they tried to pve.

Originally posted by Fangrim
    I always thought pvp servers are just places people go to gank people while they tried to pve.

They do but some of us join for the extra excitement while leveling, some join to hunt those PKs down, some join just to be able to end an argument by force, some join just to be around fellow PvPers, etc etc.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

They do but some of us join for the extra excitement while leveling, some join to hunt those PKs down, some join just to be able to end an argument by force, some join just to be around fellow PvPers, etc etc.

Ah I see :). I'm not really into pvp.I don't really see the point of waiting in stealth/invisibility for some person to pull a boss mob so I can stab him in the back or zap him,thats what happened to me when I played any pvp servers.I must say joining a guild that takes out contracts to kill players who do this is appealing but I guess this dosn't really happen?

Ah I see :). I'm not really into pvp.I don't really see the point of waiting in stealth/invisibility for some person to pull a bos mob so I can stab him in the back or zap him,thats what happened to me when I played any pvp servers.I must say joining a guild that takes out contracts to kill players who do this is appealing but I guess this dosn't really happen?

let me guess, WoW?

Not every game that has pvp allows player to be in "stealth invisibility". I strongly urge you to join a group of good people on a pvp server for any other game and experience what an ffa pvp game can offer.

sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose sometimes you will realize that you really did have a chance to fight off your two attackers and sometimes you'll have large epic moments that make you question why you would ever go back to a pve server.

And perhaps sometims you'll wonder why you ever tried a pvp server in the first place. It's really a mixed bag but if you can get your mind in the right place it can be very fun and perhaps even rewarding.

Ah I see :). I'm not really into pvp.I don't really see the point of waiting in stealth/invisibility for some person to pull a boss mob so I can stab him in the back or zap him,thats what happened to me when I played any pvp servers.I must say joining a guild that takes out contracts to kill players who do this is appealing but I guess this dosn't really happen?

In Darkfall Online is was a Leuitenant with a guild called Imperil over in human lands.  I set up a decree throughout the land that all random pkers would be hunted down and killed untill they left human lands for good.  :D    A mighty boast that we Imperil could handle policing the entire land,  but it sure looked good when we came rolling up Fully Scale Mailed out and crushed a group of pking reds to the brink of rage closing there game,  or even when those reds crushed us...  the noobs loved that there was someone who had there back.    :D   In an mmo its all what you make it :D   Dunno about Tera as im currently updating but im definitley gona roll on a pvp server :D  

btw what PvP server is the fullest OR the newest... a brand new pvp server would b sweet to.

Oooooh   :(  .... you cant be a black guy in terra... thus destroying all immersion for me,  a black guy lol.  FOOK i hate that old school shiz.     I suppose I can always be a beastly Aman... the ex slaves Loool.    Hopefully Archage isnt the same i really look forward to becoming immersed in that game.

Oooooh   :(  .... you cant be a black guy in terra... thus destroying all immersion for me,  a black guy lol.  FOOK i hate that old school shiz.     I suppose I can always be a beastly Aman... the ex slaves Loool.    Hopefully Archage isnt the same i really look forward to becoming immersed in that game.

You can make your skin dark, just not extremely dark. Top row for skin fourth from the far right.

that's the darkest I can find. Shame that.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

It's mostly PKing, defending people getting PK'ed, and rewardless guild vs. guild.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that it's a PVP oriented game, besides the fact that PVP is pretty cool and unique when it's between equally geared/leveled players.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

My human Lancer is black.  Dunno what your talking about.