Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Will Not "Kill" WoW, or Any Other Game

XeseXese Member Posts: 39

To start, I already pre-purchased GW2 and I like what I've seen so far.

But, I've seen many instances of when people talking about "Maybe this game will be the one that kills WoW or Tera or SWTOR or whatever". No, it will not happen. No game kills another game. Ever. Period.

1. To each their own.

Only those who have already quit WoW, or have already been planning to quit, will switch over to GW2. If someone still enjoys playing WoW, why would they switch to GW2 and stop playing WoW? If they enjoy both then they will just play both. No one quits WoW when another game releases unless they already stopped enjoying WoW.

2. Games only kill themselves.

I cannot imagine any successful game in history that died because another game released that was more popular, unless it was made by the same publisher (and therefore they're not competitors anyways). Every game that is dying or has died is because of itself, whether the mechanics are out of date, or the publishers pissed on the players. So the only way WoW will die is when its population slowly dwindles to a very low state, or if Blizzard start shoving poop down their players throads. Not because of another game releasing.

So did Rift/SWTOR/TERA etc.etc. kill WoW? No. Are they successful games? Sure. If some population of WoW switched over to those games, it's because they were going to quit anyways. These people weren't "stolen" from WoW. Blizzard would have lost those subs regardless of those games releasing.

So, please stop saying things like "GW2 will kill WoW", or any game killing any other game. It won't happen. You will look like a jerk and you will be embarrassed when it doesn't happen, like it never does.

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Xese

Interesting and insightful OP.

• NickraiderNickraider Member UncommonPosts: 131

This is the first "GW2 will kill WoW" thread I've seen in a while (on mmorpg.com)... I think everyone is pretty much just happy of where this game is going and has no problem playing GW2 and paying for a sub on a different game.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

WOW released at the same time has EQ2. WOW "won" by a HUGE amount. Yet, EQ2 is still around, kicking it and getting SOE-mote.

If a game killed another one, we'd only have a very, very, very small handfull of games. TERA released and the world still spins. Soon TSW and GW2 will follow, roll on, nothing will change. Next year, it's time AA, TESO and whatever the future brings. Yay.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

But will GW2 kill GW1?

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Sorry, but GW2 killed all other MMOs for me.

GW2 killed it.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Soooo, who said GW2 will kill WoW.  Link please.

Also, would like a link stating GW2 is the messiah so I can have a 2 for 1.   Seen alot of that coming from trolls.

Edit: Oldmanfunk, lol

BOOYAKA!

• Originally posted by OldManFunk

GW2 killed it.

+1

This right here. I tried to login to Rift, lasted about two minutes. 

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

I am not going to lie, but a game that spoils you in almost every way pretty much kills it for a previous game in the same genre.. xD

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I can't remember the last time I saw this prediction.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

GW2 killed it.

In a way, this.  The only thing that "kills" off a game is one's own personal preference and boredom.  GW2 will most likely "kill" WoW for some people.  For others, WoW is already dead.   But I have yet to see a game who's release killed another game.   That's a myth that probably some mmorpg forum goer thought of.  So, yes OP in a way you are right, but not in the way you are probably thinking.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Any statement such as X game will kill Y game is idiotic.

Why should anyone care? Honestly find a game you like and play it. If someone likes a different game, let them play the one they like. Live and let live. When did gamers become drunken redneck sports fans? GW2 or any other game is not king of the world. Pretending that "my" game is superior is again idiotic. Different games for different people. Some people love to play Hello Kitty Online... I personally can't understand why, but frankly I don't care. To each their own. 

So no, GW2 is not a WOW killer. I have not read a serious post from someone who claims otherwise. I see a lot of hate posts from people hearing voices in their heads... but the rational people... well, we just want to play a game we like. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

This thread is a straw man.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    WOW released at the same time has EQ2. WOW "won" by a HUGE amount. Yet, EQ2 is still around, kicking it and getting SOE-mote.
    Excellent point.

The conventional wisdom in 2005 was that WoW had brutally killed EQ2 and teabagged its corpse. Yet here we are, more than seven and a half years on, EQ2 has released eight expansions and while obviously it is not and never has been a WoW-style juggernaut, no doubt it has been a profitable venture enjoyed by a number of players (over the years) that looks decent in size compared to any other "second tier" MMO.

Plus, I have to say, the idea of a "WoW killer" is kind of amusing. "Killing" someone sounds bad; forcing them to say "welp, I guess it's time to shut up shop, shame we only made ten billion dollars with this game" not really so bad.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

GW2 killed it.

Haha, same here. Way to counter the OP :p

GW2 killed other games for me aswell, damn you arenanet!!!! release gw2 already

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by colddog04

This thread is a straw man.

And the straw man is made of threads.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

It won't kill anything, but it will have an impact. Games copied Wow because it made lots of money. If GW2 makes a lot of cash (note that's profit as in money after all ofter costs) then other games will try to copy it.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by Nickraider

This is the first "GW2 will kill WoW" thread I've seen in a while (on mmorpg.com)... I think everyone is pretty much just happy of where this game is going and has no problem playing GW2 and paying for a sub on a different game.

Gota be honest, not only is the the only mention of GW2 Killing wow that I've seen on this forum, this is the first time in a LONG time I've seen anyone bother to mention WoW killing at all.  I think we've all come to understand the realities involved here.  There is no need to kill another game.

• orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112

GW2 killed it.

This.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I don't think GW2 can kill WoW. However WoW is going to feel really really sore after Anet's punch to the face.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I don't think GW2 will kill WoW either but it doesn't have to. As long as enough people enjoy it and it turns a profit everyone is happy. I have no intention of buying or playing GW2 but the genre having more options is never a bad thing.

• aries623aries623 Member Posts: 28

The idea of becoming a WOW killer is pointless. As long as a new MMO aims at a small targeted audience they will be successful.

• LyvinsLyvins Member Posts: 70

i would never say that gw2 will kill a other MMO, BUT it is for me the MMO that has to prove me that mmo's are still fun and good. the last few years imo haven't been good for mmo's :) kinda losing faith ^^ 

but so far Gw2 killed  all mmo's for me 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i am a wholehearted fan of GW2, but i have never expected GW2 to kill anything, except my own boredom.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

While I don't agree with all of the design decisions in GW 2 (or any game for that matter), I do think it's going to be a monster success.

People may complain that the event grind is just a new form of the quest grind. To be honest, I don't disagree with that. But it's a better form of the grind. Similar to how DAoC started the ball rolling with quests that gave good experience, to watch WoW take that idea and refine it into a superior form of grinding (in DAoC and older games you advanced primarily from killing monsters), I think this is an evolutionary step. Yes, it was probably Warhammer Online (Mythic again) that innovated the idea with public quests, but GW 2 takes it to another level.

I'll be honest. I'm not a fan of the abilities. Not a fan of the quest system in the limited number of quests available. Don't like all the instancing. There are things I really dislike about GW 2. BUT the event system is so much fun that it more than makes up for all of those things. It's nice to see players working together in an MMO from the early levels, and not having players worried about you stealing their kills or loot. It's a mechanic that works, and it's a principle you'll likely see in many more MMOs in the future.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Xese
    [...]

[...]

+1

People stop playing a game because its no longer fun to play that game.

Same for civilizations, by the way. Nobody is invading Europe. What we see right now is Europe working really hard on destroying itself.